Turbo's Elantra Sport: SOLD!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 336 comments
25073374_10155994729276543_4633155087280031221_o.jpg

Tinted the LED lights in the front yellow and blacked out the trim under the side windows in preparation for a semi-professional photo shoot on Monday. Getting pics taken on the mountain in Tucson. I'll post a few when they're ready. 👍

20171231_144755_Richtone(HDR).jpg

A few updates:
  • Removed the Pierce axle-back as I am switching to a SXTH Element full system soon. Running OE muffler for now.
  • It's been determined that some factory short shifters for other Hyundai/Kia products will fit the Elantra Sport. I purchased and installed one from a 2011-13 Kia Soul and it's fantastic. Shifter height is only slightly shorter than stock, but the throws are obviously shorter and feel great. I believe they are made by B&M. Paid $60 shipped, though they have been found much lower. (one from an old Sonata was found for ~$12 but sold out quickly)
  • Trying to purchase a 2nd set of wheels to run some comfy street tires on. Have a trip to California beginning of April and don't want to take the Falkens. Plus they are getting worn quickly just driving back and forth to work which is not what I had planned. Plan is to just buy another set of the same wheels (in bronze) and throw some Pirelli P7's on them.
Added some stickers too: (+10hp :P)

28238638.jpg

Long time no post. Looks like all my photos disappeared that were linked to facebook. :rolleyes: Will try not to do that anymore. Just a quick update:
  • Still rolling on the Motegi's but sold the Falkens and got some Pirelli Centruato P7's in stock size. Obviously a much better tire for daily driving, and my fuel mileage has recovered which is a bonus. Those wide, sticky tires are good for dropping 2-3 mpg. I've been waiting for a guy in my facebook group to get his new wheels as he's testing out the size I want. 18x8.5 +48 with 255's will be the track setup...
  • Stock exhaust is still on the car. Decided against the SXTH setup as it would have been over $500 just for the axleback alone and I can't do that. So I've purchased a Vibrant 12" resonator and some staggered dual tips and the guy who installed my springs is going to do it. His wife recently purchased an Elantra GT Sport and he did the exhaust on it and it looks great. Should be done next weekend.
  • Want to add a splash of color to the car to offset all the gray and black. Sold off my gloss black intake and replaced it with a yellow one. I will get some custom brake caliper paint done in the same shade and that will be the extent of the brightness. :D
  • So next three modification goals are: custom axleback, coilovers, brakes, track wheels/tires.
Recent photo taken during trip to/from Los Angeles
32267136.jpg

The splash of color
yellow_intake.jpg

Exhaust is finished. He used a short section from the stock exhaust which is almost 2.5" anyway so that works for me. The rest is mild steel but I live in the desert so not worried about rust. I will pull it off and spray it black if needed. All else, super happy with the work done and his welds are pretty good. Worth the $100 + tips + muffler.

custom_delete1.jpg
custom_delete2.jpg

Edit: I also have a 2019 Veloster Turbo engine cover on order. :)

32818015_10156435529051543_8491229358705344512_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not the biggest fan of new or nearly new cars but this looks fantastic. The wheels, colour, small modifications, all combines into this perfect subtly aggressive look. Suits the car really well!

Actually surprised how fruity the standard exhaust sounds, at least on camera. Deeper tone of the new one is nice though. I should probably try and do a video of the i30N's exhaust in its sport mode...

Actually surprised how fruity the standard exhaust sounds, at least on camera. Deeper tone of the new one is nice though. I should probably try and do a video of the i30N's exhaust in its sport mode...
Stock exhaust sounds good out back but you can barely hear it inside. A full muffler delete is still a bit overboard for me so adding the small muffler toned it down just enough.

Engine cover came in (35 hours from Seoul SK to my doorstep) and...........it doesn't fit. At least not like I want it to. As with the current Veloster Turbo, the new one also has two posts on the intake manifold for the cover to snap on. The Elantra Sport does not have those posts. So off to the hardware store tomorrow for some aluminum flat bar and some nuts & bolts to make it work. Also need a new 1/4 NPT fitting in a 90 degree angle as my current breather line to the intake comes in contact with the cover.

VT_EC_2.jpg

Step 1 of big updates has arrived. (using stock photo as mine are covered in plastic and I want to keep it on there until they are installed)

Now, I've had these wheels before in a different color but not a fan of the dual lug pattern so I have a plan to get rid of them and it's easier to do so on the gloss black than the other shade. The guy at my work in charge of the 3D printer is going to measure them up and make me some plugs for the extra holes. Once those are in, I will get the center section of the wheels covered in gloss black vinyl. So they should just about disappear. Also getting the center cap logo covered in gloss black so all you see is the indention of the lettering. I'll post Step 2 when they arrive...

527885420-2.jpg

Long story short, tires never arrived. Ordered them through Discount tire, who had to get them from someone else because Discount doesn't do Firestone. Unfortunately the company they ordered them through was in the process of being bought out, so my order bounced around for nearly 3 weeks and was never fulfilled. Thankfully the guy at Discount was able to find some in Phoenix and they arrived this morning.

Love how it looks. Not looking forward to keeping them clean. :lol:

IMG_20180707_184806.jpg
IMG_20180707_184834.jpg

Last edited:
Long time no update. Last weekend I installed the single oil catch can from SXTH, which is a work of art. I have new hoses on the way so I can route them better, the supplied hoses are too short for my liking.

OCC.jpg

Then I had the 2nd catalytic converter and the stock resonator removed. In place I put a 12" Vibrant muffler. Video:

Also, I ordered HKS plugs yesterday in preparation for the Lap3 tune, which I will be ordering on the 21st. Can't wait! :D

Finally got around to painting the brake calipers today.

painted_brakes.jpg

And then on a trip to Tucson tonight to have some fun on the mountain I hit a tire carcass on the highway...

41375544_10156727304811543_2945471262878597120_o.jpg

semi_tire.jpg

Update on the current situation:

Car will be fixed in about 3-4 weeks. Doing it out of pocket as my insurance wanted to charge it to collision and 'at fault' and I didn't think it was fair that I lose my safe driving discount and have my rates go up for something that was entirely out of my control. So at minimum to fix the damage I am looking at $958. That's a new bumper + paint, new lower lip spoiler, new lower grille and grille supports. I will also take this time to change the main grille on the front to something a bit nicer, and do some other little things like replace the gloss black grille surround that is already pretty banged up from road debris. Should be a complete transformation of the front of the car coming.

Photo of new grille for reference: (without the number plate)

HLmscarart_com_20170526_194240.jpg

Small update. Just picked up the new bumper from the body shop today. Color is pretty close in the shade, haven't checked in the sun just yet. $773 for the new bumper with paint, new lower lip, lower grille and grille supports. Saved a couple hundred bucks by working at Nissan, we use this shop for body work all the time. New upper grille also came in, just waiting on the grille surround to arrive and then I can put it on the car. Once it's installed I will be getting clear bra done again ASAP. I am also getting the silver "C" shaped trim around the side grilles and DRL's wrapped gloss black.

Also, there is a big autocross event coming up at the end of the month, so I have ordered slotted rotors, new pads and a 4-point lower tie bar to get prepared for that. Lots happening...

bumper_paint.jpg

Most recent photo. Thought it looked good, couldn't resist taking a photo. :)

43255833.jpg

What class are you running in for the AutoX? A Friend has been running his Hyundai for fun at a few local events and it seems like it's to half bad, just needs sway bars.

What class are you running in for the AutoX? A Friend has been running his Hyundai for fun at a few local events and it seems like it's to half bad, just needs sway bars.
After doing some research I may end up in STH. With the hope that the tie bar doesn't bump me into a higher class.

Back