Turbo's Elantra Sport: SOLD!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 336 comments
While I like the red stripe on black and white cars, that grill definitely gives it a more modern/luxurious look 👍
Thanks!

Liked it better with the strock grilles ):
And the zero airflow I got through the fog light areas?
I think it looks better overall but I definitely miss the stripe. It's such a characteristic GTI feature that it just doesn't look right without it.
Bit like taking your GTR badges off a Skyline, kind of makes it look like a plain base model now.

If you like it though more power to you! Just kinda looks strange to me without the iconic red lipstick
Sleeper. :)

Anyone that really knows me, knows that I like to be different. I just think these look cleaner, are easier to keep clean, and they provide better airflow in the 110+ degree heat down here.

Also:

10355808_10152639474616543_7268567485871133960_n.jpg

:(

Well I would drive 50,000 miles then I would drive 50,000 more. To be the man who went and drove 100,000 miles in a mk 5 Goooolf.

:cheers:

Well I would drive 50,000 miles then I would drive 50,000 more. To be the man who went and drove 100,000 miles in a mk 5 Goooolf.

:cheers:
Well I bought it at the end of June with 45,150. So in around 2 months I have put almost 5k miles on it. :eek:

Ended up not having to swap out the oil pan, although the oil change was still a pain. You think having the oil filer right on top of the engine would make it easier, but not so when they surround it with a bunch of other crap making it hard to grab a hold of. :rolleyes:

I've got a big check coming up in a couple weeks, trying to decide what to do next...

Nice, my only complaint is the missing VW emblem. If it was me I would black it out like this one:
China_VW_BORA_Front_emblem20101141129139.JPG

Ended up not having to swap out the oil pan, although the oil change was still a pain. You think having the oil filer right on top of the engine would make it easier, but not so when they surround it with a bunch of other crap making it hard to grab a hold of. :rolleyes:

I've got a big check coming up in a couple weeks, trying to decide what to do next...
It's a VW, save some for future repairs ;)

Nice, my only complaint is the missing VW emblem. If it was me I would black it out like this one:
Yeah the emblem on the stock grille was too small. I have a line on a black one but the guy is taking forever to get back to me.

As far as the big check, might just do some small things like replace the mirror turn signals and get some cloth floor mats to get rid of the all weather mats. Still need a new shift knob too.

Small update. Big check isn't happening for a while, work trip got delayed. I still might do all the small stuff I mentioned above to the car (getting the grille emblem Friday) but I will not be doing any large modifications to the car at all. There's a pretty good chance she'll get traded in the next year or two for something called an "MX-5". ;)

Long time no updates. Looking to ditch the factory 18" wheels and go down to a 17". Still need to find a black VW emblem for the front, been driving around emblem-less for too long now. :P

Other than that, car is running tops. No issues to report. 👍

Long time no updates. Looking to ditch the factory 18" wheels and go down to a 17". Still need to find a black VW emblem for the front, been driving around emblem-less for too long now. :P

Other than that, car is running tops. No issues to report. 👍
Why 17"? Comfort, weight, tire sizes? I like the factory wheels on these a lot.

OK that looks amazing. Are you buying new or used? BBS wheels hold their value well once used but they're always pretty expensive new.

So this coming weekend I will be re-acquiring the G20. At this point I've had it for sale for months with nothing but lowball offers. So right now it'll become my daily driver to keep miles off the GTi (and bugs.....tired of cleaning the bugs) and then I'll decide what to do with it. I may just gut it, cage it, and have some fun.

So this coming weekend I will be re-acquiring the G20. At this point I've had it for sale for months with nothing but lowball offers. So right now it'll become my daily driver to keep miles off the GTi (and bugs.....tired of cleaning the bugs) and then I'll decide what to do with it. I may just gut it, cage it, and have some fun.

Sounds fun :)

Update on the GTi: So I've been having an issue with a whining noise from under the hood that follows the speed of the engine. The car is also pausing for a few seconds after I let off the gas in gear before it finally kicks into overrun. After some research I read a lot about changing to an updated version of the OEM diverter valve. (diverts un-used pressure back into the system) So, $90 later and a few minutes of my time I can say the throttle response is quite a lot better, but the whining noise is still there. I think the overrun problem may be gone too, but I need to drive it more to confirm.

I also noticed that there's quite a bit of oil in the intake system while I was in there, so I may start looking into a catch can system. Either that, or I need a new PCV valve.

And, while I was at the VW dealer getting the diverter valve, I picked up a nice new shiny VW emblem for the front. I wanted a black one but couldn't find one in 150mm which is what the Jetta Wolfsburg grille requires. Pics when I have sufficient light.

ALSO:

$_57.JPG

Euro spec Scirocco 6MT knob and boot on the way. :)

Not a whole lot going on at the moment. Eager to see what my tax return brings so I can do one of a number of things I have planned:

- Stage 1 Tune
- EuroJet cat-back exhaust
- VW Driver Gear springs with R32 struts
- Wheels & Tires

And then I would like to start stashing some money to do a vinyl wrap since the paint is getting bad and I don't have the coin to do a proper repaint. (which would probably be around $5k)

Thank you for having good taste in wheels. Around here, almost every non-stock Golf has terrible wheels... ermm "rimz".

Keeping the same tires?

Thank you for having good taste in wheels. Around here, almost every non-stock Golf has terrible wheels... ermm "rimz".

Keeping the same tires?
Can't. Stock wheels are 18", these are 17". Downsizing for beefy tire look because race car. :P
I like. Now stop buying Hot Wheels and acqure Real Wheels.
Tax return yo! And I've bought maybe 2 hot wheels in the last month. Greenlights and TLV's on the other hand...

First post updated. Changed my spring/shock plans to Bilstein coilovers and updated my intake/exhaust/ECU plans. Also looking into doing a full plasti-dip of the car to hide most of the paint imperfections. (matte white?)

I plan on taking a trip to Utah at the end of April and hoping to get most of this done before then. I think I'm close to selling the G20, and when I do that's going towards the coilovers. Will update when that happens. I know this thread is slow moving but when you live on your own it's not easy to save for fun stuff.

So I think I just had my first major issue with the GTi. A couple months ago I noticed that the car would misfire right in the area where I upshift (2500-3000 rpm) but would not illuminate the CEL. It started doing it again yesterday, but this time when I was accelerating to pass another car it came on. I can get the misfire to go away if I pull up on the coil packs and push them back down to get a somewhat fresh connection. I was able to do that last night, and then again this morning but the CEL is still on. I didn't get the code checked last night because it was pouring rain, so I will try to do that today.

Bad coil packs are a common issue with these cars (a TSB was issued) so I'll just replace the coil packs. I'm going to try and call the dealership today to see if they will replace them free of charge, if not I'll just purchase these.

Back