Turbo's Elantra Sport: SOLD!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 336 comments
Update on the GTi: CEL went off on it's own, car drives fine.

Update on the G20: Sold it. Didn't get what I wanted, but it's better than nothing.

Now I have $800 to put into the GTi, and I'm starting with replacing the coil packs, coolant temp sensor, and timing chain tensioner before it fails on me like it has others. And maybe replacing the turn signal on the passenger side mirror that hasn't worked since I got the car. :P Then maybe we'll start buying some suspension parts. :)

Another GTi update: contemplating on getting rid of it. Dealership called me a couple weeks back with an offer to get me into a new Nissan with a better interest rate, might take them up on the offer. (unfortunately even though I work for Nissan, I'm contract through another company so no discounts) I told them I was holding off until the Nismo Sentra came around, but I started doing some research today on timing chain tensioner failures on the TSI engine, and all the work required to change it. Combined with the car having a slight hesitation right now (possible PCV issue), the thermostat maybe needing to be replaced, I really cannot understand why I am having to replace so many parts on a car with 60k miles.

Got some thinking to do for sure.

Last post in April. :eek:

So some of you know I was recently looking to purchase a new car. Unfortunately something came up that stole some of my new car funds, but then I quickly decided that the new car I wanted wasn't available in the color(s) I wanted so I have decided to wait. In the mean time I have repaired some of the issues the car had (which in turn created new ones, yay VW :rolleyes:) and am in the process of gathering suspension parts to lower the car, as well as new wheels and tires.

I ordered the tires and the lowering springs (MK6 version) over the weekend and will be purchasing the shocks/wheels today. Unfortunately I was informed this morning that the springs are no longer available (for a 1 year old car, really?) So I may have to switch to another brand if I can't find the ones I want.

I will post photos when everything comes in. 👍

New problem that was created by the replacement of the thermostat & water pump might be a faulty temp sensor in that same housing that was re-used. Will replace that and see if it fixes things.

Anywho, I have spent way too much money the last few days, but here is what is on the way:
  • New temp sensor
  • New spark plugs
  • MK6 Bilstein Sport shocks
  • MK6 H&R Super Sport lowering springs
  • MK6 front bump stops
  • New shock mount bearings
  • New shock bolts
  • Alzor 349 17" wheels in black (it was silver or black, so black it is)
  • 225/45R17 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 tires
Then I will have to spend on mounting the tires, installing the suspension since I don't have the tools or work space to do it, and getting an alignment. Woo.

Wheels came in at 11am, installed by 3pm. :)

20151010_161348.jpg

And this:

20151010_162525.jpg

I'm warming up to them, wasn't sure at first. I'm sure it will all click into place when I get the suspension on. I have everything I need, just have to get it put on.

Suspension may be installed this weekend, getting some co-workers to help. Also, the flood gates have opened with mods, just bought a noise pipe delete kit (better spool, throttle response) and some factory splash guards. :P

You gotta come hit up the Pavilions once your car's all set up.
Paint is going down hill though. Spoiler is horrible, front is rock chips galore, etc, etc. Needs some visual refurbishment. I want to vinyl wrap but the last quote I got was $2,300. :eek:

Suspension is delayed because I have to find the right tool for the lower shock bolts. Damn Germans and their weird fasteners! :P

Anyway, going to try and get the following stuff installed/fixed on Sunday:

- Passenger side turn signal on mirror (been broken since I bought the car :lol:)
- Temp sensor on water pump (this may not get done depending on how accessible it is)
- Noise pipe deletion
- OE splash guards install

Suspension is still not installed. Still trying to decide if I want to pay nearly $400 to have it installed professionally (including alignment) or do it myself which will require some tool purchases. I don't have access to air tools, so compressing the springs will be a pain in the rear. This may not get done until January.

In any case, the car broke down on me the other day. The brand new thermostat I put in the car was defective right out of the box so the car wouldn't get up to normal running temperature. It was also putting extra pressure on the thermostat housing, so it eventually gave way and puked everywhere. Had to tow it to the dealer and have them fix it. $280 later (they gave me a nice discount) Company I bought the original parts from offered to exchange but wouldn't cover the labor. Frustrating, but I basically told them they might want to think twice about selling parts from companies that are defective and left it at that.

I never took photos with the OEM splash guards installed either, will have to do that this week sometime.

Forgot to take the splash guard photos (obviously! :P) so here's a crappy cell phone pic from my trip to Colorado last weekend.

12474039_10153831917046543_2112839490921773984_o.jpg

The main reason I stopped the car here other than to take the photo was to tighten down the gas cap a couple more clicks because the CEL came on shortly after filling up in Moab. Well that didn't clear it, and with the car running a little off I figured it might be a bad tank of fuel. Tried to use it all up and put ~9 gallons of 91 and 2 gallons of 100 octane in it when I got home to see if that helped with no change.

Had the CEL checked: P2015 - Intake manifold runner position sensor.

This relates to a common issue with these cars that requires a new intake manifold. My car has already had it replaced at 35k miles, but here we are for a second time. Thankfully because it was a direct recall from VW years ago, they extended the warranty on them to 120k miles or 2019 whichever comes first. So I now have an appointment on Monday to get it replaced for free.

The car has 75k miles on it now (bought in June 2014 with ~47k) and in it's lifetime it's had the following issues:
  • Thermostat failed x2
  • Intake manifold failed x2
  • Clockspring failed x1
  • Random issues with the key fob not working
  • Passenger side mirror doesn't work (despite replacing it)
  • Passenger side window regulator is binding up (I hardly ever roll this window down)
One huge issue they have is the timing chain tensioner failing. I don't have $1k to fix it, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope I can get it to the end of the year and then I'm getting something else.

Sudden change of plans: the GTi is gone. After I picked it up at the dealership for getting the intake manifold replaced again, I promptly drove it to the dealership next door where I was offered a 2015 Kia Forte Koup for $4k off MSRP and full asking price on the GTi. I left there at 5pm in a new car.

Unfortunately it's an EX with an automatic, but I figure this is probably best for my 50 mile round trip daily commute. I will try and get back into something older and cheaper (B13 Sentra SE-R?) for a toy in the next year or so.

Probably this weekend. It's dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home, plus I would like to clean it up a bit and remove all the dealership advertising.

Can't say I blame you, that car seemed to have quite a few problems over the past few months and I can't say I'd want to keep it after all that trouble. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the Kia.

Nice choice. They're good-looking cars. And as you say, it leaves space for something affordable and fun later. Given the choice and space, I'd always want to have something fairly sensible as a daily driver and something fun on the side.

Sorry about no photos, I had time on Monday but I came down with something so I didn't feel like going out. I will try to remember to at least snap a cell phone pic on my way to work.

So having spent some time in the car now, my thoughts:

Positives:
  • Fuel mileage (first tank= 35.7mpg)
  • Ride is good but I feel the rebound damping needs work.
  • NVH is quite good, I'm impressed (I work in the field, I noticed these things :P)
  • Interior materials are mostly nice. Fit/finish is good, no rattles so far.
  • Seat is quite comfortable, I was worried about this since I have back issues
  • Power is adequate, I forgot the 2.0L had 173hp, thought it was less than that.
  • It's not black! :lol:
Negatives:
  • Radio sucks. The FM radio gets some static quite often, bass sucks, satellite radio sounds like its under water
  • Drivers seat sits too high. Even adjusted all the way down, it's too high. Going to figure out how to fix this.
  • C-pillar is a huge blind spot. Backing out of a parking spot is a "hope they see me because I can't see them" affair.
  • Floor mat fitment is horrible. Floor mat quality is horrible. = horrible. :P
Also, I will be purchasing a new OEM lower grille for it since the dealership (I assume) installed the front license plate holder for some reason and I want it gone. No front plate in AZ FTW. Not sure what to do about the radio just yet. I assume the SX models have a better radio but don't know if it will swap over without too much trouble. And the seat, going to have to figure out how to lower it down some.

The grey works well. I was with you on not carrying a front license plate too until I saw the front of the car - for me that grille is a bit too large not to have a plate taking up some space on it.

The grey works well. I was with you on not carrying a front license plate too until I saw the front of the car - for me that grille is a bit too large not to have a plate taking up some space on it.
Yeah but with one it looks like bugs bunny. :P There's still the black bar that runs behind the plate holder that breaks up all the meshiness. (word creation ftw) I'm not a fan of the honeycomb grills since they are a pain in the rear to clean. Haven't seen any nice aftermarket ones yet.

Small update since have had it for a few weeks now. The official EPA mileage ratings on the car are 25 city / 33 highway / 28 combined. So far my first 3 tanks have been 34-35mpg. The on-board mileage calculator usually shows 34-37mpg depending on where I am driving. This is a good mixture of city & highway driving. My daily commute is 21 miles one direction with 75% of that highway. (~60 mph)

Other than that, little things that irk me are the transmission shifting out of overdrive when I set the cruise control and the dash lights switching from my dimmed setting to full brightness randomly and not letting me dim them again. (maybe the switch is glitchy?) Might have to speak to the dealership about that one.

First mod, just a simple grille switch. Easier to clean and gets rid of the front plate bracket which didn't need to be there in the first place since AZ doesn't require a front plate. The lower one was cheap so I did it first, the smaller, upper grille is about twice the price and I'll change it later.

12901227.jpg

Congrats on the Kia! Gotta say, they look pretty good! Is yours a turbo?

My new grille is from the turbo car. :lol:

And that video is an embarrassment to the rest of us that drive a Koup. You should see all the hate going on in the facebook groups. Lots of people trying to get Matt from Smoking Tire to drive one with proper mods on it (and without the auto trans...) That kid made us look bad. :P

Back