TVR coming to America?

• Thread starter bengee
  • 54 comments
I was reading in some mag a little article that spoke of TVR thinking about selling cars in America. That is something i would really appreciate. I think that the American sportscar market would greatly benefit from some more Aritish sportscars, I mean our sportscar market really hasn't changed as long as i have been alive. Oh yeah I think it was some American mag that had an article about the 997 911 and the new Boxster. Just wondering if this was a stupid rumor or if anyone else has heard of this news...

Quick_Nick
I really hope TVR does come to the U.S.A. It's about time we finally got the Lotus Elise.

We already get the Lotus Elise. It's got nothing to do with TVR; Lotus is a seperate brand owned by a Malaysian maker called Proton.

I think he was saying that we finally got the Elise, and if we got TVR as well, it would be great. Not that the Elise was in some way related to TVR. I for one highly doubt that TVR will ever come here. They are such a niche market car over in the UK, it just wouldn't be that feasable for them to come here. They would have all sorts of emmissions and crash regulations to adhere to, it would just dilute the car to the point of no fun. It would be nice, for sure, but I don't see it ever happening. At least, not officially. Who knows, maybe someone will take the innitiative and do like MotoRex did with the GT-R, and get UK models certified. Possible, but not probable.

Hilg

I just wonder if the current 6-cyl engine TVR make would pass emissions. Heh maybe it would get a GM V8 instead.

You can see TVRs here in the states, but they've been modified by their owners to meet regulations.

BTW, Jaguar is selling some Lotus Elises here in Plano.

Good stuff.

You have to remember though that TVR was thinking of coming to America back in like 2002, and backed out for some reason. Now would be good timing though, with the current rear-wheel drive explosion in the auto industry.

TVR already sold cars here in the 80s.
I saw one.
It had a "TVR Car Club" sticker on it.

I forgot the name, I think it was numbers.

MistaX
TVR already sold cars here in the 80s.
I saw one.
It had a "TVR Car Club" sticker on it.

I forgot the name, I think it was numbers.
Yeah, I know – TVR was in America quite a while before dropping out. Actually, I should say, before "this latest dropout"… TVR has exited and re-entered the American market several times during its history, usually because of new U.S. regulations. I think it's been in the U.S. on and off since the late 1950s.

pimp racer
Too bad one of TVR's best model IMO the Chebra (SP?) is out of production right? Oh well its still good news!

The Cerbera isn't much of a handler though, it's more of a cruiser. Although the top of the line 4.5 V8 version could outdrag the old Viper GTS. Although i'm gonna get me an old Griffith one day, some day. And i'm not sure if they've stopped production of it.

All TVR's current cars are better handlers and suited for trackdays. If the K series was unable to pass certifcation in the Elise I doubt TVR's 6 cylinder engine would pass, so it would probably get a nice American V8 which would also be easier to fix in America and to get parts etc, although the old Rover V8 was a GM Castoff i've heard but it's now stopped production.

I'm too lazy to look it up but the T350C is priced simmilarly to the Boxter I think, I know which car i'd rather drive.

Although I could be hugely wrong.

Race Idiot
The Cerbera isn't much of a handler though, it's more of a cruiser. Although the top of the line 4.5 V8 version could outdrag the old Viper GTS. Although i'm gonna get me an old Griffith one day, some day. And i'm not sure if they've stopped production of it.

All TVR's current cars are better handlers and suited for trackdays. If the K series was unable to pass certifcation in the Elise I doubt TVR's 6 cylinder engine would pass, so it would probably get a nice American V8 which would also be easier to fix in America and to get parts etc, although the old Rover V8 was a GM Castoff i've heard but it's now stopped production.

I'm too lazy to look it up but the T350C is priced simmilarly to the Boxter I think, I know which car i'd rather drive.

Although I could be hugely wrong.
Yeah I agree. I would also get the T350C over the Boxter ANYDAY!

Race Idiot

You heard right.

The 215 cu.in./3.5L Rover V8 was designed in the late '50s by Buick and Oldsmobile, back in the days when the GM divisions were autonomous and had their own engineers. It was originally offered as the standard engine in the new-for-'61 Buick Special and Oldsmobile F-85 Cutlass, and optional in the Pontiac Tempest. All-aluminum, and only 3.5L displacement; it was very light to say the least (around 325 lbs.). But it wasn't all that powerful, with only 155hp with the 2-barrel carburetor and 185hp with the 4-barrel. In '62 they bumped up the compression in the "Buick" version of the engine to give 200hp with the 4-barrel, and Oldsmobile produced the world's first ever production car with a turbocharger (beating out its sibling Chevrolet Corvair by about a month), the version of the F-85 called Jetfire. It still had a rediculously high 10.25:1 compression ratio, so boost was only 5psi, and it required the use of a special fuel Oldsmobile called "Turbo Rocket Fluid", a half-and-half mix of distilled water and methyl alcohol. It was kept in a small resevoir under the hood, and was used when the turbocharger spooled up under high load, in order to prevent pinging. In fact, the intake system was designed to bypass the turbocharger completely if there wasn't any fluid left in the reservoir.

The engine only lasted until the 1963 model year, after which the rights to the design and manufacturing were sold to British Leyland. After going through several changes, including eventually electronic fuel injection and several changes to displacement, it continued to live on until this year, when the Land Rover Discovery's 4.6L version of the engine will be replaced by the new LR3's 4.4L Jag-derived engine.

In a way, it still lives on. The 215 design was made into a slightly modified bored and stroked iron-block version in 1964 that pushed displacement up to 300 cubic inches (4.9L). It wasn't nearly as sophisticated or techniologically advanced, but it was cheaper and more powerful, and that was all that mattered to the American car-buying public in the mid-'60s. The 300 was also made into a V6 version in 1964, with 225 cubic inches displacement (3.7L). However, Buick engineers didn't modify the firing order from the V8 to V6, so it was rough as hell. They sold the design to Kaiser-Jeep in 1966, which used the engine in CJs and Commandos. Even AMC kept using the engine in CJs and Commandos after they had bought Kaiser-Jeep in 1970. They finally sold the design back to GM in 1974, which was coincidentally right around the same time as the first oil crisis. GM needed something fuel efficient to put in its smaller cars. Before reinstalling it into production cars GM engineers completely redesign the bottom end, gave a smoother firing order, and bored it out slightly to 231cu.in. (3.8L).

The 3.8L was turbocharged in the late-'70s, harkening back to its predecessor of almost 20 years before. It eventually was fitted with fuel injection in the '80s, and once again turbocharged in Buick Regal coupes, the most well known being the Regal T-types, Grand Nationals and famed '87 GNX. In '87, the Buick GNX became GM's fastest car in a straight line, beating out the V8-powered C4 Corvette. (The engine was used again in the '89 20th Anniversary Pontiac Turbo Trans Am, which again made the car the fastest in GM's stable). It was given a slight redesign in 1990, and renamed 3800. It was then supercharged in the Buick Park Avenue Ultra and Pontiac SSEi in 1991 and '92, redesigned again in 1995 to become the 3800 Series II, and redesigned again in 2003 to become the 3800 Series III, where the engine makes 260hp and 280ft-lbs in supercharged form.

Alas, even the old 3800 is going to be given the boot in the coming years. Holden has already replaced the "Ecotec 3800" with the DOHC "Alloytec", and the Buick Regal's replacement has dropped it in favour of the new 3.6L VVT-equipped motor. It will also be replaced with a 3.9L version of the 3.5L OHV V6 in the Malibu and G6.

To finish up, and get the point I was originally going to make, if TVR ever intended to use a new GM V8 extensive modifications to the driveline would need to be made, as none of the Buick engines remain in production save for the 3800 Series II & III, which are both designed for front-drive applications. They'd have to use a Corvette or Holden drivetrain (which I would wholeheartedly support; an LS2-, LS1- or LS6-equipped TVR would be a hoot to drive).

I doubt TVR would want to start using someone elses engines again, they spent a lot of time and money on creating its own bespoke engines so they didn't have to depend on other manufactures whims. Even if they did, i'm sure they'd use an alloy blocked engine for weight/balance reasons. A lot of the small-volume British sportscar manufactures now use the alloy BMW V8, i'm sure TVR would also go down this path.

As a footnote to Firebird's post on the Buick/Rover V8 - both the Jag XJ220 and MG Metro 6R4 Group B rally car used a V6 engine based on the V8's block.

M5Power
We already get the Lotus Elise. It's got nothing to do with TVR; Lotus is a seperate brand owned by a Malaysian maker called Proton.

+20% of Lotus is owned by GM. Hence the VX220 connection.

MclarenF1GTR

It is just a Jaguar dealership that is probably a Lotus dealer as well. And they are probably customer cars (deposit dropouts) or a demo car that they wanted to profit off of for sale...

pimp racer
Too bad one of TVR's best model IMO the Chebra (SP?) is out of production right? Oh well its still good news!

As is the Chimera, the convertable version, if Evan can verify that.:)

I could totally go for a Speed Six with a Targa Top. *droooooool* I wonder if the North American TVR dealerships will work on TVRs that have been imported from before TVR comes here. Do other companies? Does Nissan work on the R34 in the States?

What do you mean work on? Meaning what type of work on do you mean? engine problem, tranny, fuel. oil change, wheel alignment? If something like engine then probably not?

@Bengee: - I just remembred taht Lotus thread you did before asking whether you coudl fit a bigger engine in. You're not still considering a British exotic are you?

*cough* Marcos *cough*

McLaren F1GTR

Interesting - I saw one today with a paper temporary plate and a badge from Northland Pontiac/GMC, in Rockford, Michigan, which is one of only two Ferrari dealers in the area, so I'm assuming they're coming out of Ferrari up here.

What about that new Marcos, the TSO. Looks cool. If I had the money I would most likely purchase an Elise. Its light, reliable, and according to the R&T off shoot, SPEED, it can keep up with the Viper on a track that doesn’t let the Viper stretch its overwhelming legs. It would just be cool if TVRs did come to the states again, and I just wanted to pass the "word" on. Still waiting for a reply from Lotus about that engine bay's volume :(.

@Bengee-Good news about fitting a bigger engine into the Elise. Radical's new RPA V8 (2.6ltr V8, 383bhp based on Suzuki bike engines) will supposedly be able to fit into an Elise and it isn't too heavy either (95kg). I don't know whether this will need body mods or not.

Bad news the RPA V8 costs £18,800

That doesn't seem too steep for what it is.
Still, it isn't a practical everyday car. No boot or doors for a start.

Back