Two things: Controller & FoV

• Thread starter Hoffmann
  • 9 comments
Dudes couple of things, once all can help with and one game owners can help with.

Firstly, is there a 3rd party PS2 controller on the market that mimicks the xbox controller at all? Reason I ask is I love the two analogue triggers on the xbox particularly for indepedent front/rear break. Or something similar really?

Secondly, I have seen on a few vids the 'first person' viewpoint on TT (helmet cam??). It looks pretty good, but can anyone give me some form of comparison to the MotoGP series view? I find that the MotoGP games two 'cockpit' views to be really rather poor - poor Field of View and a strange blueish tint to the world :ill:

So what I'm really asking is, is the 1st person view on TT rideable, in that it gives a wide enough FoV to actually be of use once you start hitting high speeds, are appexes clearly identifiable etc.?

Cheers blokes 👍

Red Frog -- thanks for the link to the Thrustmaster gamepad.

Hoffmann -- I use FPV exclusively with TT: it may not give the FOV that 3PV gives, but if you look through the corners it's more than sufficient. In other words, you're going to have to move your head, not just let your peripheral vision take care of it for you.

I can vouch for the Thrustmaster controller. I learned about it from thr TT forum at PS.com

Went to CompUSA and bought it the same day. Two thumbs up from me.

The PS3 controller:

PS3Controller-480_1147148759.jpg

Note the trigger-like R2 and L2 buttons; it will also be motion-sensitive. If game developers program a game right, you should be able to slide the rear and keep the bike upright if turning and leaning are separate functions. I guess we'd find out how big the hardcore moto-sim niche market is.

No more vibration, though.

I liked the 1st person view on TT much better than the one on MotoGP. I had no problem using it just like when riding for real.

Just like in any other riding/driving game I feel weird because of the lack of distance perception and forces acting on my body, but there's not much that can be done about that for now.

PhM

Tourist Trophy is the only motorbike racing game that has prompted me to use the first person view, I don't know why, but in MotoGP 4 I used the third person view. With the super detailed bumpy tracks in TT, it is very helpful to be as close to the track as you can be, and for me, the first person view works in this game!

Hoffmann
Thanks for the link, one of the things xBox got right where those analogue shoulder triggers.

Sega did it long before MS. Then again, MS worked with Sega on the DC, so they got a lot of their ideas from it. I wish I could use my Dreamcast Controller on the PS2. It kicks bum for racing games.

controller_back.jpg

Well, I got the Thrustmaster dual-trigger pad, and mapping the front and rear brakes to the triggers seemed to offer no benefits whatsoever.

I find that I have all the control I need with the tried-and-true DS2 -- front brakes with the right thumbstick, and R1 to dab the back brakes.

Back