Tyre choice issues

• Thread starter smilerftm
  • 66 comments
Yes. The way you have it written is the order from low grip to high grip. It's something like comfort medium to sports hard in GT6 terms.

Yes. The way you have it written is the order from low grip to high grip. It's something like comfort medium to sports hard in GT6 terms.

OK let's dig a little deeper. I was trying to do this from memory so I have now chosen a random street car.

BMW 1 series 1M Coupe. Tyre choices are:
Masculin Track
Masculin UHP Summer
Masculin XR Summer
Automatic by Weather

So the question is "what is the best rain tyre"? And when "Automatic by Weather" is selected what gets fitted and how do you know what is actually on?

So rather than tyre test all these combinations on all the different cars ate all the different tracks couldn't it be a lot easier?

On the McLaren F1 there is the CTR Denloc D40 or the McLaren F1 tyres. So the same questions apply here too.

Why so hard?

Automatic by weather should pick the fastest tire based on the current weather. So if it's dry, you should get the ultra high performance tires. If it's wet, you should get the XR tire, the only one that has enough tread for the wet. The track tires are in the middle in that case.

For the McLaren, I believe the Denlocs would never get picked in automatic by weather because they are the 1990s tire? It wouldn't be faster than the modern tire in any situation IMO.

Last edited:
Automatic by weather should pick the fastest tire based on the current weather..

Now I know this is incorrect. Auto by weather chooses a tyre based on what the weather *WILL* change to during the race. The only way I know this is when running open wheelers and I can see the tyres. Quite often I have started races on treaded tyres, in bright sunshine on a dry track to have it rain during the last 1/3 of the race.

This is also why the AI is so fast in the rain, they have already started on wets.

If it's wet, you should get the non-UHP summer tire, the only one that has enough tread for the wet.

Now have a look at what you have just written above here. So I am expected to know that a tyre called a "summer tyre" is going to work best when it is raining in winter? I wonder why I get confused? ;-)

So why is it so hard for SMS to put some of these explanations in the game somewhere or in the owner's manual?

How hard would it be to call them Track, Sport and Standard tyres as an option? They have all the race tyres covered by the correct names.

I really think SMS here has really over thought the whole tyre process and have just made it unnecessarily complicated.

But then, you only have to look at wheel settings to see this is how they think ;-)

Thanks for the information here it is helping me get my head around some of this.

To follow on from above, I don't think it is even clear in the dry! I have been thinking that going up in grip levels, it was summer, UHP, Track. If I go to a tyre dealer now and ask for bog standard tyres, I will get a summer and winter option. If I went to the same dealer and said I wanted higher performance tyre, I would expect to get a UHP spec tyre that will offer more grip, cost me more but still be road legal. Go to a track though and slicks are the best option when dry...

Now I know this is incorrect. Auto by weather chooses a tyre based on what the weather *WILL* change to during the race. The only way I know this is when running open wheelers and I can see the tyres. Quite often I have started races on treaded tyres, in bright sunshine on a dry track to have it rain during the last 1/3 of the race.

You're welcome. I actually haven't had this issue myself, but I can see where you're having problems. Automatic would pick the tire for a later weather change if it's coming up soon. I haven't seen it happen myself on a longer race/slower weather change.

You could see what type of tires you have based on the different heating behavior, but I also understand some players would never pick up on that. Have you tried never using the automatic by weather option?

You're welcome. I actually haven't had this issue myself, but I can see where you're having problems. Automatic would pick the tire for a later weather change if it's coming up soon. I haven't seen it happen myself on a longer race/slower weather change.

You could see what type of tires you have based on the different heating behavior, but I also understand some players would never pick up on that. Have you tried never using the automatic by weather option?

Yes I do most the time *except* when at Sakito and Zolder - it always rains there ;-) I did a lot of experimenting with the tyre by weather option because I did keep getting caught out at these tracks. Brands Hatch was another that caught me a lot as did racing the Ford GT '66 and the Lotus 86 as the game loved to rain when running these cars.

Before the race starts it would say fine but cloudy, inevitably it would rain during the last few laps and as we all know the AI is unbelievably fast in the rain.

BTW I actually did one GT3 race at Spa and the AI was faster in the rain than their best qualifying time in the dry by 2 seconds a lap.

I found being on wets in the dry was far nicer than being on slicks in the rain ;-) And yes I can pick wet tyres when fitted automatically on a dry track.

The race cars and race tyres are not a problem for me, it is only the street cars and the made up rubbish names that SMS has introduced.

To follow on from above, I don't think it is even clear in the dry! I have been thinking that going up in grip levels, it was summer, UHP, Track. If I go to a tyre dealer now and ask for bog standard tyres, I will get a summer and winter option. If I went to the same dealer and said I wanted higher performance tyre, I would expect to get a UHP spec tyre that will offer more grip, cost me more but still be road legal. Go to a track though and slicks are the best option when dry...

If we talk about race tyres it is quite clear and acceptable. Everyone understands what a wet or soft slick is. It is just these made up names for street cars that are so confusing (irritating?). And then mix them up with real tyre names as well!!!!

Even going as far as tyre testing each one it will still be inconclusive because we have no way to know what is actually fitted to the car. There are that many bugs in the game I just don't trust what I select to be actually fitted. It is hard enough when my settings do not get saved and quite often tyre choice reverts back to the by weather choice :-(

I really hate to say it but GT6 did actually get the tyre naming about right. They messed up on the physical properties though ;-) But that is another discussion I have already had in the appropriate forum.

I would suggest to SMS that something like this should be adopted. Standard Road, Sports Soft and Track Tyres. The descriptions (in order) would be Whatever the car came with originally, Street legal soft sport tyres and lastly basically grooved slicks.

Also the rain suitability would be in the same order as well. How difficult would be really?

Spot on, they have made something that should be simple very confusing so that they can use real and made up tyre names! With all the ongoing issues though, I don't think this is something they will prioritise resolving either...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...elease-notes&p=1061087&viewfull=1#post1061087

"We're working to do that yes. Hopefully soon."

Please note that he is the guy responsible for physics though, not the UI.

That link only mentions a tyre type being shown as what is fitted there is nothing about sorting out the fiasco of made up names for tyres and how they supposedly perform.

Knowing what type of tyre is actually fitted to your car is obvious, to say the least. Being able to decipher the myriad of made up names is just common sense ;-)

Any news on patch 3.0 for consoles yet?

............. but I think the street tire names are inspired by how street tires are named in real life.

Absolutely agree. Here in lies the problem. With made up brand names and possibly made up tyre naming/numbering systems who knows?

If SMS wanted to persist with being the creators of fiction they should at least offer some documentation as to what the fiction relates to or state what real life tyre it relates too.

That link only mentions a tyre type being shown as what is fitted there is nothing about sorting out the fiasco of made up names for tyres and how they supposedly perform.

Knowing what type of tyre is actually fitted to your car is obvious, to say the least. Being able to decipher the myriad of made up names is just common sense ;-)

Any news on patch 3.0 for consoles yet?

Do you have an account in the public forum? If yes, quote Doug and ask him if explanations of what tires are supposed to be what are planned as well. Ideally try to avoid offensive words like fiasco etc.

If you dont have an account, sign up and do the above.

Do you have an account in the public forum? If yes, quote Doug and ask him if explanations of what tires are supposed to be what are planned as well. Ideally try to avoid offensive words like fiasco etc.

If you dont have an account, sign up and do the above.

I do not wish to join the official forum as GTPlanet is my forum of choice.

Since you find the word "fiasco" offensive which word would you like me to use that describes a game that is overhyped (re:99.9%) Beta release, that still has the same bugs after 3 patches, crashes more often than other piece of software I have ever had, has a poorly executed online (PS4), buggy career, cheating in online events (re: track limits), cheating AI and of course has an overly complicated tyre system?

What I fail to understand is what all you guys were doing at WMD for 2 years while testing this game (shrug).

Since you find the word "fiasco" offensive which word would you like me to use that describes a game that is overhyped (re:99.9%) Beta release, that still has the same bugs after 3 patches, crashes more often than other piece of software I have ever had, has a poorly executed online (PS4), buggy career, cheating in online events (re: track limits), cheating AI and of course has an overly complicated tyre system?

What I fail to understand is what all you guys were doing at WMD for 2 years while testing this game (shrug).
Perfect disruption

Perfect description TT92 .

They lied to us .
And yes ...... I still play the buggy game for the moment .
Greets .

Its not about what I find offensive. I dont give a damn about you or how you describe the game (yet, I was still trying to help you, but this will stop now because nothing but crap and whinging comes back from you), I was just trying to give you guidance on how not to behave in the official forum if you want an answer from the devs, thats all.

This last post is what will make me ignore your non-contributing rantfest from now on. Me and others have answered that nonsense in your last line before already, but you really seem to think we members dont have any other job or things to do in life and were only there to hunt bugs all day so that King TT can have the best possible experience. At the same time, you wont even invest the time and effort to report your problems in a place where it might help getting them solved. For the weakest of excuses, I might add. I dont know whether to LOL or to facepalm.

Its not about what I find offensive. I dont give a damn about you or how you describe the game .

Tsk! Tsk! I detect some pent up angst here ;-)

I was just trying to give you guidance on how not to behave in the official forum if you want an answer from the devs, thats all. .

Again, no thanks, I have seen how "devs" behave there and in particular Ian Bell. It looks to me like anyone that says anything against the game is berated and then banned. So no. I do not want to join that forum although I do read it from time to time and have seen more than enough to know I do not want to join.

This last post is what will make me ignore your non-contributing rantfest from now on. Me and others have answered that nonsense in your last line before already, but you really seem to think we members dont have any other job or things to do in life and were only there to hunt bugs all day so that King TT can have the best possible experience. At the same time, you wont even invest the time and effort to report your problems in a place where it might help getting them solved. For the weakest of excuses, I might add. I dont know whether to LOL or to facepalm.

What your arrangements with SMS to alpha/beta test the game were is of no interest to me. You did it for whatever your reasons were so don't try the sob story with me. And then you have the gall to tell me to invest my time and effort in beta testing the game when I am a full retail customer! That FLX1981 smacks of hypocrisy.

BTW you have no idea what a real rantfest is ;-)

Sorry, but we were there to help making the game, we were not there just to help fixing bugs. And you know, we were not paid for that, so if you could have a little respect for the people that helped making the game for free, it would be great.

My comment was not meant to be offensive I was merely wondering out loud ;-)

I do believe the crowd funding was done so those that bought in at several different levels got some sort of compensation so I don't think you did it exactly for free.

I also know people that love beta testing software for free as they get a real kick out of it.

Perfect description TT92 .

They lied to us .
And yes ...... I still play the buggy game for the moment .
Greets .

Yes, I still play the buggy game too (but not as much) but update 3.0 for PS4 will decide if I continue.

...And then you have the gall to tell me to invest my time and effort in beta testing the game when I am a full retail customer! That FLX1981 smacks of hypocrisy.
No, he "has the gall" to suggest you do the sensible thing. The refusal to sign up to use the support on offer is just silly. Claiming that you'll get berated and banned is silly (unless you act like an ass of course). Prams & toys comes to mind, and the question of hypocrisy is probably best left alone. Other people are over there getting bugs fixed and suggestions implemented by talking to the devs.

You've been banging on and on and on about this, and you're taking every opportunity to dish out blame and rag on WMD members. I'm seeing quite a bit of the latter lately, and that is simply misplaced - please find other ways of venting.

Last edited:
Tsk! Tsk! I detect some pent up angst here ;-)

Then all of your detectors are broken. The only thing that could be detected in my posts is fed up-ness with your pointless whinging and disrespect towards WMD members.

No, he "has the gall" to suggest you do the sensible thing. The refusal to sign up to use the support on offer is just silly. Claiming that you'll get berated and banned is silly (unless you act like an ass of course). Prams & toys comes to mind, and the question of hypocrisy is probably best left alone. Other people are over there getting bugs fixed and suggestions implemented by talking to the devs.

You've been banging on and on and on about this, and you're taking every opportunity to dish out blame and rag on WMD members. I'm seeing quite a bit of the latter and that is simply misplaced - please find other ways of venting.

I take it you and FLX1981 are WMD members? I do not see that I am "taking every opportunity to dish out blame and rag on WMD members". I asked FLX1981 what WMD members had been doing for the last 2 years with the game. It is neither disrespectful or insulting but both of you have reacted very badly and insulted me. Then, you wonder why I don't won't to join another forum that is full of your ilk?

What both of you seem to ignore is that I am a full retail customer of this game that expects a quality product. Both of you also seem to overlook what a public forum is and how it works. It is for like minded people, with a common interest to gather together to discuss topics and it is most definitely not a self congratulatory society that just pats each other on the back and says well done.

Despite both of your efforts to make me out to be the "bad person" here quite obviously I am not. I am just the poor mug that has asked a few questions, offered some suggestions and commented on how the game is broken and parted with his hard earned money for something that does not work properly.

^ I'm not ignoring that you're a customer. Complaining about the game is fine, and it's even better to take it to the place where support is given when you're so passionate about something. That is not saying you can't discuss here, of course. And I'm not making efforts to make you the bad person. However I'm reacting to several accounts of what looks like attempting to paint WMD members as bad persons though, it's all around these days, and it's misplaced (your last posting also comes across as patronising and insulting).

At some point I choose to stand up against the "WMD member lies and hypes and are incompetent and..." that is making forums visits less enjoyable lately - it just happened to be on this occasion. We should all show our fellow forumites a little respect, that's all.

Last edited:
As has already been asked - Is there any news on patch 3.0 with the tyre fix yet, ETA would be good to know if anyone here is aware? I will buy you a beer with cookies if you're kind to me :lol: Thanks.

^ I won't claim this non-information to be beer worthy, but hang in there - nothing can be said about it yet, apart from that it is happening SMSoon... :D

^ I won't claim this non-information to be beer worthy, but hang in there - nothing can be said about it yet, apart from that it is happening SMSoon... :D

Cheers! Looking forward to when it drops along with the improvements it will contain. I think we can all agree on, if nothing else, that improvements are definitely needed here.

Here's a beer for your reply :cheers:👍

I take it you and FLX1981 are WMD members? I do not see that I am "taking every opportunity to dish out blame and rag on WMD members". I asked FLX1981 what WMD members had been doing for the last 2 years with the game. It is neither disrespectful or insulting but both of you have reacted very badly and insulted me. Then, you wonder why I don't won't to join another forum that is full of your ilk?

What both of you seem to ignore is that I am a full retail customer of this game that expects a quality product. Both of you also seem to overlook what a public forum is and how it works. It is for like minded people, with a common interest to gather together to discuss topics and it is most definitely not a self congratulatory society that just pats each other on the back and says well done.

Despite both of your efforts to make me out to be the "bad person" here quite obviously I am not. I am just the poor mug that has asked a few questions, offered some suggestions and commented on how the game is broken and parted with his hard earned money for something that does not work properly.

giphy.gif

What a load of self-righteous nonsense.

Back