tyre size

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 10 comments
i drive a 2006 honda civic exi and i want to change the wheels. but i'm not sure what's the right size of wheels/rims for my car.

so far i've seen this info written on my current wheels: 205/55 R16
which of these is the width/diameter?

205 is the width of the tire at its widest point in millimeters.

55 is the aspect ratio, meaning the height from the outside of the rim to the outside of the tire is 55% of 205mm

16 is the diameter of your rim, in inches.

but thats all info for your tires, it wont help you with wheel sizing and spacing really, but since you have a civic, rims that fit it are a dime a dozen so you shouldnt have too much trouble.

go to tirerack.com and put in your car, and search for wheels. they have an interactive thing on their website that lets you see different wheels on your car, and they also give you all the information about what size wheels and tires they are, as well as the backspacing on the wheels, so even if you dont see any wheels you like there, you can take the information they give you and look somewhere else for wheels and tires.

When shopping for wheel sizing, the important things to know are:

1) Max wheel width your car will take. There is limited amount of room in the tire well and too wide a wheel/tire package will cause rubbing against the fender lining or struts, especially when the suspension moves through it's range of travel. Tire sizing is in turn affected by wheel sizing.

2) Offset. This is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and plane where the wheel mounts to the hub. A negative offset pushes the wheel/tire combo outward (streetside). A positve offset brings the wheel/tire combo inward (into car). Sometimes a spacer can be used to allow fitments otherwise limited by offset issues.

3) Bolt pattern. This is the diameter of an imaginary circle formed by the centerline of the bolts which hold the wheel onto the hub. A 5x120 pattern would mean the wheel accepts 5 bolts with a 120mm diameter pattern.

Remember that when you change your wheel/tire package, you can affect the handling of your car. This is especially true if you don't use the correct offset on a wider than factory setup. Also keep in mind that bigger rims usually means more weight, all else being equal (rim construction and material).

194GVan's advice to check out tirerack.com is solid. I would try there first.

M

Tire/Wheel question!!

With a new job looming, it's time for me to start thinking about dumping money into my car :D.

First up: new rims! I haven't decided on which wheels I'm going to go with, but I've got a good idea. Now, I'm definitely going to buy 18's, and stick some new rubber on. The stock tires on my 3 are 205/50-17. I'm thinking about going with 215/45-18 tires. My question is this: how much will this offset the speedometer/odometer?

For reference, the stock 205/50-17 has a total diameter of 25.5 inches. A 215/45-18 would have a diameter of 26.1 inches (half inch more). This is a small change, but not insignificant. I could also get 215/40-18 tires, which would have a diameter of 25.2 inches (less speedo offset), but I'd rather have a larger overall diameter than smaller (for aesthetic purposes).

Thoughts?

Check Tirerack.com... The wheel/tire packages they offer up for your car shouldn't offset it at all, but I may be slightly mistaken.

Either way, keep in mind the golden rule: Anything small like a Civic, Jetta, Cobalt and the like really aren't designed to go above 18"... So please make the correct decision when going for new wheels/tires...

Personally I'd rather have the slightly smaller overall diameter, because that translates to slightly shorter gearing, and that translates to slightly better acceleration.

Either way, keep in mind the golden rule: Anything small like a Civic, Jetta, Cobalt and the like really aren't designed to go above 18"... So please make the correct decision when going for new wheels/tires...
Shoot. I'll cross the dubs off the list then.
Personally I'd rather have the slightly smaller overall diameter, because that translates to slightly shorter gearing, and that translates to slightly better acceleration.
The car accelerates fine (156 horses of fury!). Besides, my new commute will be 30 miles of rural highway driving; it will not require the get-up-and-go necessary to survive the city hellscape :).

I prefer smaller diameter. Better acceleration, slightly better fuel economy (lighter) and less unsprung weight.

Of course, your odometer will read slightly higher, but as long as you're within half-an-inch, that's only an additional hundred miles or so a year... :lol:

For odometer effects, you could hand-calculate it (I've written my own Excel file), or you could just go to http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and see for yourself.

I'd keep the 17's myself... (heck, I prefer 15's or 16's), but it's your car and your gas money, so knock yourself out.

I prefer smaller diameter. Better acceleration, slightly better fuel economy (lighter) and less unsprung weight.

Of course, your odometer will read slightly higher, but as long as you're within half-an-inch, that's only an additional hundred miles or so a year... :lol:

For odometer effects, you could hand-calculate it (I've written my own Excel file), or you could just go to http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and see for yourself.

I'd keep the 17's myself... (heck, I prefer 15's or 16's), but it's your car and your gas money, so knock yourself out.

Ta for the link.

I wanted to see what would happen if I but 10 inch wheels on my Mini (currently on 12s), but it doesn't go lower than 12 inch wheels :lol: Mind you, I guess MX5s don't do 10s.

Latest Posts

Back