• 24 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
Let me just say this to anyone remotely interested in any form of racing – you must go to and experience a Formula 1 race. Never before have I been to such an exciting and amazing event! I have so much that I want to say about my trip, and the best way I know how to organize it is by my senses.

Sight
I got the chance to get up-close and personal with several exact replicas at a few of the team’s booths around the track, and the cars pretty much look the same way they do in most photographs or videos. But, they’re resemblance ends there. Once one of these cars hits the track, they accelerate and stop at unbelievable speeds. I also thought the track surface was much more narrow than it appears on TV!

Speaking of the track, we also got a chance to walk across it and inspect it closely. The actual surface looks much like normal asphalt, but when you touch it, you’ll find it is much smoother.

Sound
Nothing could have prepared me for the sounds of these cars. If you haven’t been to a race before, think about how loud you would expect them to be, and multiply that by 10. It’s LOUD! One of the more surprising things to me, was the downshifting. It’s an explosion in every since of the word! You know, one of those noises that you can feel vibrating in your chest.

Smell
Yes, I learned a new smell while at the GP! If the wind is blowing in the right direction, you can get a whiff of the exhaust from an F1 car. Unlike most noxious, suffocating engine fumes, this was more “high pitched” (I guess you could say). It’s very hard to describe, but it is very unique.

I hope I didn’t leave anything out in my description. Please ask me if you have any questions! I took many pictures from the event, and I have narrowed it down to about 60 images. But, I’m having quite a bit of trouble setting up a permanent gallery here on GTPlanet, so, unfortunately that could be a few more days in the making. :( Of course, I will let you know as soon as it is online!

Originally posted by Jordan
Let me just say this to anyone remotely interested in any form of racing – you must go to and experience a Formula 1 race. Never before have I been to such an exciting and amazing event! I have so much that I want to say about my trip, and the best way I know how to organize it is by my senses.

Sight
I got the chance to get up-close and personal with several exact replicas at a few of the team’s booths around the track, and the cars pretty much look the same way they do in most photographs or videos. But, they’re resemblance ends there. Once one of these cars hits the track, they accelerate and stop at unbelievable speeds. I also thought the track surface was much more narrow than it appears on TV!

Speaking of the track, we also got a chance to walk across it and inspect it closely. The actual surface looks much like normal asphalt, but when you touch it, you’ll find it is much smoother.

Sound
Nothing could have prepared me for the sounds of these cars. If you haven’t been to a race before, think about how loud you would expect them to be, and multiply that by 10. It’s LOUD! One of the more surprising things to me, was the downshifting. It’s an explosion in every since of the word! You know, one of those noises that you can feel vibrating in your chest.

Smell
Yes, I learned a new smell while at the GP! If the wind is blowing in the right direction, you can get a whiff of the exhaust from an F1 car. Unlike most noxious, suffocating engine fumes, this was more “high pitched” (I guess you could say). It’s very hard to describe, but it is very unique.

I hope I didn’t leave anything out in my description. Please ask me if you have any questions! I took many pictures from the event, and I have narrowed it down to about 60 images. But, I’m having quite a bit of trouble setting up a permanent gallery here on GTPlanet, so, unfortunately that could be a few more days in the making. :( Of course, I will let you know as soon as it is online!
WOW!:eek: Sounds great!! I would love to go to an F1 race, but the closest one to me is in Montreal, I think?:confused: Anyway, thanks for the great feedback Jordan, and I'll be looking forward to seeing those pics:thumbsup::)

I am longing to see F1 race for such a long time. I want to ask if there is some kind of monitor that you can see any part of the course like the others watching TV at home? :confused:

Sounds, looks, smells, and feels like you had a really good experience. Got me all jonzin for a good F-1 race myself. I will be looking forward to the pics as soon as you get them posted.

Originally posted by Yoshiki
I am longing to see F1 race for such a long time. I want to ask if there is some kind of monitor that you can see any part of the course like the others watching TV at home? :confused:
Welcome to GTPlanet, Yoshiki! Yes, in most areas of the track, one of those gigantic video monitors can easily be seen. Not only do they show the "normal" views of the track, but they also mix in a lot of footage from cameras on the cars, which is usually only available to Bernie Ecclestone's TV channel viewers. Also, below every screen, a smaller lighted board automatically changed to show the drivers in the top 10 positions. :)

Originally posted by ZeroCool85
Where exactly where u sitting Jordan????
I had very good seats, a little past the first turn. I could see about half of the entire circuit, including the long straightaway.

Of course, on Saturday (during practice and qualifying), I watched the race from nearly every vantage point possible from around the track. :)

I had very good seats, a little past the first turn. I could see about half of the entire circuit, including the long straightaway.

Of course, on Saturday (during practice and qualifying), I watched the race from nearly every vantage point possible from around the track. :)

How many lead changes were down there going into turn 1?

Originally posted by ZeroCool85

How many lead changes were down there going into turn 1?
Oh, that's a tough question. I can remember about 3 or 4 lead changes in my field of view. :)

Sound

The loudest event Ive been to was Le Mans. They, I know, are just as loud and, it is incredible the feeling you get. The C5R was amazing. You just vibrate inside...

Thanks for the report Jordan, glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by danpollard

The loudest event Ive been to was Le Mans. They, I know, are just as loud and, it is incredible the feeling you get. The C5R was amazing. You just vibrate inside...

Thanks for the report Jordan, glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

U went to Le Mans???????? How sweet, i went to the Petit Le Mans last year and the Viper was the loudest of all the cars there!!

Originally posted by Phil
Your decription brings it all back to me Jordan.
I forget, what year did you go the British GP, Phil? Unfortunately, I wasn't lucky enough to get close to any of the drivers such as you! :mad: :P

I met Alian McNish at the Petit Le Mans last year! He is the coolest person i have ever met!

Great pics man! I noticed quite a few large ear plugs being used. ;)

That Mercedes was sweet....I mean there all sweet, but that ones all decked out and armoral'd. And to be that close! Can you imagine getting into one of those? Unbelievable!!!!

Originally posted by Saleen Man

WOW!:eek: Sounds great!! I would love to go to an F1 race, but the closest one to me is in Montreal, I think?:confused: Anyway, thanks for the great feedback Jordan, and I'll be looking forward to seeing those pics:thumbsup::)

Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal I believe, but I don't know if that is all that close to you.

Originally posted by ASenna94
My uncle who is like 60, went to the last Watkins Glen F1 race!
Wow, I bet that was something! Too bad they don't race there any more... :(

I agree Jordan. I was sitting just on the main stretch of turn 1 and also watched practice and qualifying from every angle. I didn't think the cars were that loud either. It was an incredible weekend. I live in Columbia, MO so a buddy and me drove the ~6 hour trip to Indy Thursday night.

We arrived at the track the minute it opened each morning and stayed every day until the racing was finished. I have some terrific photos too. They are kind of big for a modem user, but I think some of them are worth it. Didn't have much of a zoom on the camera I borrowed, but still got some nice pics.

Another thing that struck me was the sheer enormity of the track. I didn't realize they had 4 golf holes in the infield along with the parking lots, Hall of Fame, etc... We must have walked about 25 miles that weekend.

Another smell that was funny to smell was that Ferrari racer frying the clutch. Ouch.... :) I absolutly loved the Porsche races. Those guys where pretty good.

Anyway, I got burnt up, legs were sore, and smelled from not taking a shower for 3 days (camped), but it was a weekend I will never forget...my first Formula 1 race. We are already making plans to got the Canada next year as well as Indy. I want to be like those guys in the Mastercard commercials where they visit each baseball park...1 down....16 to go...priceless. Have a great hump day everyone.

USGP Pics

Back