UEFA Champions League And Europa League thread

• Thread starter Dennisch
  • 790 comments
I had the Man Utd v PSG game on a monitor whilst watching other things, so missed a lot. With no sound I could not understand why Fred didn't get sent off for the head butt. :eek: The tackle that gave him his second yellow I thought was on the verge of being an OK challenge as he quite clearly got the ball first and slid into the player, and did not deserve a card imho.
It irritates me so much when Neymar screams for virtually every little touch. :banghead: Such talent, but a detestable human being on the pitch sometimes.

Great win for Chel$ki, and four goals for Giroud, especially away too. 👍
It was an odd one for Fred, there would be no complaints if he walked for the head butt, but then the second yellow was actually a perfectly fine tackle. One of those things. He was lucky to still be on the pitch at that point though as far as I'm concerned so not really in a position to complain.

I did read that those sort of soft head butts where you push the other player with your head more than whack them with it, happen a lot in Serie A and tend to go punished with a yellow rather than a straight red and the referee came from that league. Might explain his decision, but I thought red depsite the obvious play acting by Paredes. If I were the ref I'd have red carded Fred and yellow carded Paredes, who actually initated the incident.

I don't like Neymar, he's a cracking player, but his antics put me off him so much.

I understand you don't sub a player just becuase he's on a yellow, but I thought Fred always looked like he was liable to get a second. He didn't have a terrible game aside from the head butt, but he was comitting a fair few fouls. And it was that recklesness in his play that Ole should have seen. And if not at half time, he certainly should have been off by the hour mark.

I'm more disspapointed than annoyed, we were arguably the better team for an hour, although we should have been a man down for most of that, so swings and roundabouts. Once we went down to 10 men immediately after PSG scored their second it wasn't going to be easy. It was a missed opportunity, but it's not the end of the world. We didn't play badly by any means.

Last edited:
More Champions League this from tomorrow with the final group games.

Play in the PSG-Istanbul game is suspended after the fourth official racially abused the Istanbul assistant manager.

This is not a joke! Fourth official said 'that Black guy' when talking to the ref about booking one of the Istanbul staff, it was heard and Demba Ba confronted the official, Istanbul walked off followed by the PSG players.

Cant even get my head around this, the fourth official!!

Treed by @andrea

Play was set to resume at 10pm with the fourth official replaced but its in doubt now as the person in question will end up in the VAR truck still officiating the game in some way which Istanbul don't want.

Apologies for the double post but here is a little update on tonight's events.

The PSG-Istanbul game is postponed until tomorrow night, Istanbul were clearly not happy with the officiating situation tonight so they didn't return to the pitch, PSG players were warming up in the tunnel for resuming the game but it never happened. Full credit to Istanbul and then PSG for walking off it seems like a step forward in that regard at least.

Elsewhere it was another terrible night for Man United, they needed to get a point from Leipzig but lost 3-2 and we were 3-0 down after another shocking first half and some of the worst defending you will see from Maguire, we only got back into it late on thanks to a soft penalty and a Pogba header that was bundled over, that's United of the Champions League and into the Europa League, another nail in the Ole coffin for me and I think he will go soon.

Also it was the battle of the two GOAT's in Ronaldo and Messi as it was Barcelona v Juventus, Ronaldo scored two penalties and McKennie got the other in a 3-0 win for Juve.

Here are the Champions League last 16 following the end of this years group stage.

Chelsea
Sevilla
Barcelona
Juventus
Liverpool
Man City
Porto
Bayern Munich
Borussia Dortmund
Lazio
RB Leipzig
Paris St-Germain
Atletico Madrid
Borussia Moenchengladbach
Real Madrid
Atalanta

The draw is 11am on Monday.

Last 16 Draw for the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League

Mönchengladbach v Man. City
Lazio v Bayern Munich
Atlético Madrid v Chelsea
RB Leipzig v Liverpool
FC Porto v Juventus
Barcelona v Paris St. Germain
Sevilla v Borussia Dortmund
Atalanta v Real Madrid​

Last edited:
Champions League returns this week from its Winter slumber with the start of the last 16, a few of the games having to take place at neutral venues because of Covid travel restrictions.

Tuesday.
RB Leipzig v Liverpool (Puskas Arena)
Barcelona v PSG

Wednesday.
Porto v Juventus
Sevilla v Borussia Dortmund

All four games kick off at 8pm.

Leipzig 0-2 Liverpool
Barcelona 1-4 PSG

A hat-trick for Kylian Mbappe in a rout by PSG, his first and third goals were both brilliant and he had an incredible game running the Barca defense ragged, Moise Kean got the other goal and Messi gave Barca the lead from the penalty spot, definitely feels like and end of an era for Messi and Barcelona...and the passing of the torch.

Much needed win for Liverpool, Salah and Mane with second half goals following some defensive slip ups for both, a good game with plenty of chances and high tempo play from both sides.

Ridiculous goal scored by Giroud tonight, Atletico were terrible and I expected a lot more from them.

Bayern crushed Lazio 4-1 away from home in the other tie.

What a game between Juventus and Porto tonight, its finished 3-2 to Juve and 4-4 on aggregate but Porto knock Juve out on away goals after extra time! Porto played for around an hour with 10 men as well. Could be the first time since 2004 that Ronaldo and Messi won't make it past the last 16, Barcelona play their second leg v PSG tomorrow but are 4-1 down.

The Dortmund-Sevilla game was great as well, finished 2-2 and Dortmund go through 5-4 on aggregate, Haaland with two and El-Nesryi with two, Haaland now has 20 CL goals in just 14 appearances! :crazy:

3PdiNCl.jpg

Isn't this why some teams have been using a player lying down behind the wall to try and stop these low shots?
Is that even allowed? I mean, that would make it possible that you are using your arms to deliberately block the ball, so it would count as an intentional handball. If you were in the penalty area, it would also count as a penalty and a probable (if not automatic) red card.

Is that even allowed? I mean, that would make it possible that you are using your arms to deliberately block the ball, so it would count as an intentional handball. If you were in the penalty area, it would also count as a penalty and a probable (if not automatic) red card.
They lie on their side, facing goal, and attempt to block the ball with their legs/bum/back/head.

Yeah I think so.

messi_free_kick_lying_down.jpg

I'm not sure which game it was the other week, but the player laying on the ground was moved to a different position by a team mate in the wall by grabbing him by the head and hauling him into a different place. :eek: :lol:

Great result, and another good game against RB Leipzig by Liverpool. Lots of chances wasted in the first half for Liverpool, but crucially, Liverpool were having nearly all the chances, and looking comfortable. Fabinho showed what Liverpool have been missing by having him in defence, regardless of how good he has been playing there. Nat Phillips seemed to win every every high ball into the defence, especially for a player making his Champions League debut. A good night after a disappointing period. :)

They lie on their side, facing goal, and attempt to block the ball with their legs/bum/back/head.

Yes this and it'll continue until someone smashes a shot into the back of someone's head and then it'll be stopped. :nervous:

:gtplanet::cheers:

If Real fail to win this CL, I would be very surprised. There aren't any good teams left. The fans being absent has sucked the life out of the sport, some teams and players feed off the energy that the crowd brings and without them it is just so much less enjoyable.

Last edited:
If Real fail to win this CL, I would be very surprised. There aren't any good teams left. The fans being absent has sucked the life out of the sport, some teams and players feed off the energy that the crowd brings and without them it is just so much less enjoyable.
Man City thrive in no crowd situations, just look at the Premier League, so don't write them off just yet. :lol:

Here are this seasons quarter finalists.

Borussia Dortmund
FC Porto
Paris Saint-Germain
Real Madrid
Man City
Chelsea
Bayern Munich
Liverpool

Draw is on Friday I believe. No Italian teams and only one Spanish.

Quarter final draw.

Manchester City v Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich v Paris Saint-Germain
Real Madrid v Liverpool
FC Porto v Chelsea

Semi final draw

Bayern/PSG v Man City/Dortmund
Real Madrid/Liverpool v Porto/Chelsea

Some big games in that QF draw, including a repeat of last years final!

Champions League quarter final first legs this week.

Tuesday.
Man City v Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid v Liverpool

Wednesday.
Bayern Munich v Paris St-Germain
FC Porto v Chelsea

All games kick off at 8pm GMT.

Both legs of the Porto-Chelsea game will be played in Sevilla because of Covid travel restrictions, both legs of the other quarter finals will stay at its regular venues.

Back