[UK rant] mph or kph? miles or km?

• Thread starter neepheid
  • 26 comments
After all, we're not all completely metricated like some of our European cousins.

They may have attepted to outlaw pounds and ounces in the supermarket. But our cars measure speed primarily in mph. Our road signs are in miles. I buy beer by the pint in the pub. Human height is still invariably given in feet and inches. Human weight is still primarily given in stones and pounds. Yet the PAL version is confused between using mph in some of the vehicle descriptions, and kph for the car dials, which is frankly alien to us UK drivers :confused: .

Maybe it would be better as a preference (take note, sage developers of GT4 :) )

Well, I doubt it would be hard to put an option in the game where you can choose to use either kph or mph. I personally use the metric system, and kph. But, to keep those happy who use mph, it would be a nice addition.

the entire world should just go by one freaking standard. one monetary, one measurement system, one language. life wouldn't suck as much.

and, in answer to your question, no.
they should just include the option to change languages / measurements, as JoniK said.

I quite agree Neepheid, it's a pain having to mentally multiply by .6091 all the time to figure out how fast you're really going :).

We haven't really adopted the metric system at all in the US, and I think the country is dumber for it.

Compare the difficulty of performing calculations in metric - which is based on a simple, ten digit system (much like what we use to count...hint, hint) and English measurement, which has 12 inches to a foot, 3 feet to a yard, 4 ounces to a quart, 4 quarts to a gallon, etc. It's almost arbitrary. Plus you have to deal in fractions rather than decimals - so instead of saying it's 13 mm, or 5 cm (all of which are easily converted using multiples of ten) you have to frig around with 1 - 1/16, 5 - 3/8, having to use lowest common denominators, etc. Sure, you can do it, but metric is so much easier....

Sometimes this country baffles me.... :weird:

I will accept metric when they lower it so that it is more on par with s.i. 100k is about 60 and that just sucks. make it so si looks exaggerated instead.

Some good thought there Neepheid :thumbsup:

The way I look at it is 100kph is 60 mph.. which is a basis for working out Acceleration of a car in the :uk: and elsewhere (0-60 in a UK car mag is the same as 0-100kph in a Foreign Mag)

Therefore 200kph is 120 mph and so on... Easier than getting the calculator out? Anyone use different conversion methods? :teleport:

Passing a vote from the US, and the Architectural field, I'd love to be on e one measurement system WORLDWIDE. Metric seems by far to be the easiest to teach some of the not so bright individuals (concurrently the one in southern Alabama, who have few branches on the family tree) here in the US.

Now to throw one more loop at you, Our Structural and SIte consultants use AutoCAD but not inches. For instance 12'-6" (twelve feet and six inches) is drawn for them at 12.5 feet. The Structural engineer only uses that set-up in their details, but not their larger drawings.

just makes my life miserable. I used to work for a company that shipped drawings to Japan. We gave up on the conversion, and just sent them a tool box full of Tape measures.

The conversion ability is a nice thought for GT4. Possibly a settings option (Metirc or english measurements?) Kinda like Manual or Automatic option.

My two pence.

;)

AO

Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartily agree with the principle of metric. Strictly speaking, we should all measure speed (velocity) in metres per second (SI unit of velocity), distance (displacement) in metres and time in seconds. Spot the physicist indeed. I could geek out completely and start on the difference between scalar and vector measurement. Distance is a scalar, while displacement is a vector. 1 lap of a track will have a distance, a cumulative number representing the amount of travelling from start to finish. However, on completion of a lap, your displacement will be nothing, assuming you cross the line at exactly the same point you crossed it to start the lap. Anyway, I digress.

What I am reasoning is that in the next few years, the conditioning that many people have received will not wear off, so until car manufacturers in UK/USA start making the big numbers on the speedo in km/h and not mph, and all the road signs replaced, we might as well have the option for both. A transition.

Banning the use of pounds and ounces to sell fresh produce then prosecuting market stall owners for continuing to use Imperial measurement because his customers prefer it is not what I would call a transition.

i live in metric land and its so much simpler, if you cant figure it out then.....can you count to 10??

but i live happily with both, actually some times i like imperial better

and for the people that think metric is exaggerated, thats just because your so used to mph, lots of people over here think the opposite:)

but i dont mind if the aussie version was in imperial, it wouldnt worry me the slightest:)

yes...in the Uk were no used to KPH...

my car (real life) has its speed dial in kph and i still havent got used to it...half the time i have no idea what speed i am going at down the road...
:(

Originally posted by alex_gt
Some good thought there Neepheid :thumbsup:

The way I look at it is 100kph is 60 mph.. which is a basis for working out Acceleration of a car in the :uk: and elsewhere (0-60 in a UK car mag is the same as 0-100kph in a Foreign Mag)

Therefore 200kph is 120 mph and so on... Easier than getting the calculator out? Anyone use different conversion methods? :teleport:
Actually I see alot of magazines displaying 0-62mph acceleration times as it is very close to 0-100 kmh. A rule of thumb would be to add about 0.5 seconds on a 0-60 mph time to give it an equivalent 0-100 kmh. This isnt true for faster cars which go 0-60 in 5 seconds or such tho. And this IS an estimate.

Originally posted by Der Alta

just makes my life miserable. I used to work for a company that shipped drawings to Japan. We gave up on the conversion, and just sent them a tool box full of Tape measures.

FORMAT - DIMENSION STYLE - MODIFY- ALTERNATE UNITS :D

WE JUST DID WORK FOR JAPAN ALSO :P

Originally posted by Talentless
I use the full conversion

200/1.609344=124.274

If you really want to use the "full conversion," it's:

200 / 1.6093440 = 124.27424
or
200 * 0.6213712 = 124.27424

:D

As far as GT3 is concerned, though, it uses a fairly inaccurate conversion:

200 * 0.630 = 126.0 MPH