Underrated GT1 Cars...

Tina Branford

(Banned)
United States
United States
There are a number of cars in GT1 that are generally disliked and though of as horrible we all know this. Though in my current playthrough I now like some of these a lot and see them in a new light now. As a matter of fact a few cars that I noticed are actually amazing to drive and pretty darn quick overall with nice handling are the Chevrolets when tuned.

I recently came to really see how great the fully tuned (R)Chevrolet Corvette GS is and even the fully tuned (R)Camaro Z28 30th Anniversary Edition. The Camaro has won me the US VS Japan, US vs UK and pulls nice lap times. The main thing is it's relaxing and easy to drive.. it inspires confidence while driving at it's limit.

The Chevrolet Corvette GS has also easily spanked the US vs Japan and US vs UK cups(when racing modded and tuned to the max,) it's also won the Normal Car Cup for me(when it was not tuned) and I plan on using it at the GT World Cup and testing it at the Tuned Car Cup.. in which I'm sure it will destroy the competitors.

Also my starter car this time was the Del Sol Si in Red and I love it.. it served me well. It was nice to change it up from my usual Second Gen RX-7 or the MA70 Supra for a change, it was nice to not be disappointed in regards to the change too.

Just wanted to share. Any cars you all feel are underrated?

I can't name anything specific as I haven't played 1 for over a decade. I DO remember though after having beaten the game for the second time buying every single car in the game over a long period just for some ocd reason. I was regularly impressed by having a lot of fun driving cars I would never have chosen from their looks, reputation or name alone. I guess me not being able to remember any of their actual names reinforces that point of their being not eye catching in the first place.
Oh I wish there was a Gran Turismo Past Masters Remastered for PS4 reissue!

I can't name anything specific as I haven't played 1 for over a decade. I DO remember though after having beaten the game for the second time buying every single car in the game over a long period just for some ocd reason. I was regularly impressed by having a lot of fun driving cars I would never have chosen from their looks, reputation or name alone. I guess me not being able to remember any of their actual names reinforces that point of their being not eye catching in the first place.
Oh I wish there was a Gran Turismo Past Masters Remastered for PS4 reissue!

Dang you bought, tuned, and tested all 135 or so cars?! That must have taken a while if you acquired all the money needed from races instead of GameShark. Too bad you have no specifics.. but as you said it has been 10 years.. I'd forget too.

Dang you bought, tuned, and tested all 135 or so cars?! That must have taken a while if you acquired all the money needed from races instead of GameShark. Too bad you have no specifics.. but as you said it has been 10 years.. I'd forget too.

It took a while for sure but I lived only a couple miles from work so would gladly escape the daily grind to get a lunch time gt fix. I certainly didn't upgrade every one fully but they all got the best tires at once as well as brakes clutch and mufflers!
I need to look at the car list again and maybe my mind may be refreshed.

The Impreza '94 WagonWRX was an underrated beast because despite it being the least powerful stock Impreza, you could tune it to something like 520bhp and 900ishKG whereas the other Imprezas would likely only top 494bhp. Not sure on the numbers exactly but I know the 94 Wagon out-tuned the other Imprezas.

The '95 GTO MR was an underrated car too, just because of it's rarity and slightly higher BHP output. But with that understeer though, it's a true challenge to drive it well.

@LaSupra The '94 WRX in fact goes up to 562-ish HP, almost as much as the Impreza Rally Edition. Truly a hidden gem. The '97 S14 Q's Race Mod has a higher maximum rear downforce limit for whatever reason.

@LaSupra The '94 WRX in fact goes up to 562-ish HP, almost as much as the Impreza Rally Edition. Truly a hidden gem. The '97 S14 Q's Race Mod has a higher maximum rear downforce limit for whatever reason.
That was too much of a BHP estimate gap. Signs that I need to do another play-through :lol:

The Mirage Asti RX was pretty underrated too, only by the favouritism of the major sports cars. Fastest car to use in the Class C Arcade Mode races, and as pointed out by the RX-R in GT2, it can be a budget Lancer Evo Coupe if you want it to be.

The Impreza '94 WagonWRX was an underrated beast because despite it being the least powerful stock Impreza, you could tune it to something like 520bhp and 900ishKG whereas the other Imprezas would likely only top 494bhp. Not sure on the numbers exactly but I know the 94 Wagon out-tuned the other Imprezas.

The '95 GTO MR was an underrated car too, just because of it's rarity and slightly higher BHP output. But with that understeer though, it's a true challenge to drive it well.

The Impreza Wagons were some of my favourite cars in the early GT games. Another car I liked to race with was the 4-door Acura Intergra.

@353Hemi sorry to say there hasn't ever been any 4-door Integra in GT ^^' But you're probably talking about the GS-R models. They are indeed underrated even though they're nearly as good as the Type-R

I would say the Eunos Cosmo is one underrated car. At least it was in my book - before I actually bought one (a black Type-E CCS) and drove it both stock and fully tuned in various races. It is a bit hard to drive when tuned at first, because of the turbo lag and how the boost suddenly kicks in, but once you get used to it it can be a deadly weapon.
Mark II, Chaser V, Eclipse are also such cars, I have managed to win the Tuned cup multiple times with them.

@m2595 The programmers should have made the Eunos Cosmo produce way more hp when tuned. The 3 rotor engine in real life is capable of 900+ hp easily not only 678 or whatever. It should have been one of the best top speed vehicles in the game but they downgraded it.

Many cars suffered from this, especially the DB7. I don't really believe that a car with a straight-six and supercharger could only make 437 horses when tuned to the max, the number should be much higher.

Yeah I made a complaint about Aston Martin being bad in GT1. It can barely keep up in any medium level or top level races. I can barely survive in the Japan vs UK race with it. I like Aston Martin in real life so it's kinda a downer for them to be soo bad in this game. The Camaro is actually pretty damn good though even though it's under powered. It has 415 tuned hp but only weights like 2318 lbs and handles awesome. I can beat the Japan vs US race with it even against the Impreza rally edition!

Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport: who says these are underrated? They are difficult and cantankerous especially as power gets piled on, but I am wondering who says they're underrated? ... Well, I guess in comparison to the Viper they are.

Honda del Sol is absolutely underrated! :D And incredibly rare nowadays, whereas it seems like all the Hondas from that generation were once so popular. But yeah, you can murder some cars with larger horsepower ratings with that sleeper.

Wow, the '94 Impreza wagon could be lowered to 900-ish kg? :lol: See, that's what was found in the first Gran Turismo. Every car's bodyshell could be replaced by a full-scale lexan replica.

Back in the day when the first GT was more popular, the '95 GTO MR was not underrated. It seems we all knew about it, and its gargantuan ultimate horsepower.

I'd say the Mirage Asti was underrated. I can't even remember this car! I know the Mirage, but what's its Asti version? A sedan? Hatchback? Coupe? No memory at all.

Last edited:
Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport: who says these are underrated? They are difficult and cantankerous especially as power gets piled on, but I am wondering who says they're underrated? ... Well, I guess in comparison to the Viper they are.

Honda del Sol is absolutely underrated! Classic "chick car" in the states. :D And incredibly rare nowadays, whereas it seems like all the Hondas from that generation were once so popular. But yeah, you can murder some cars with larger horsepower ratings with that sleeper.

Wow, the '94 Impreza wagon could be lowered to 900-ish kg? :lol: See, that's what was found in the first Gran Turismo. Every car's bodyshell could be replaced by a full-scale lexan replica.

Back in the day when the first GT was more popular, the '95 GTO MR was not underrated. It seems we all knew about it, and its gargantuan ultimate horsepower.

I'd say the Mirage Asti was underrated. I can't even remember this car! I know the Mirage, but what's its Asti version? A sedan? Hatchback? Coupe? No memory at all.
The Asti was the coupe version of the Mirage (which was called Lancer in some parts of the world, go figure).

FTO in the arcade mode was an absolute beast for the Class B range. The person who mentioned the Mirage is also correct ^^

FTO in the arcade mode was an absolute beast for the Class B range. The person who mentioned the Mirage is also correct ^^

Yeah the FTO is an amazing car for B class Arcade and even pretty good for Sim mode when tuned. By the way Flanylla welcome to the boards! I'm no longer a Mazda fan... I prefer Toyota and Subaru for a variety of reasons. I just thought I'd mention that considering how much everyone that talked to me here knew how much I loved Mazda and rotaries.

It's been years since I've touched an FTO, but yes, I remember they are one of the better front-drives. I don't remember why I concluded this though. Probably minimal understeer matched with great front-end traction.

^Probably because most of the FF cars in GT1 were all low level econoboxes :lol: IIRC the FTO/Integra/Eclipse were the top 3 fastest FF cars once fully tuned. All 3 can take >300hp and still handle decently from memory. The Prelude is also pretty good but a bit heavier. Below that you've got the lightweights such as Lantis and Demio A-Spec but because of the wobbly suspension physics issue they aren't very safe :lol:

The Prelude was one of my fave FF's in the early games. Could never decide between the 4th and 5th gens though. I loved the nose on the 4 but the rear was meh. The rear of the 5 was better but the nose was meh lol

Another FF that I liked racing with was the Honda Accord SiR. A friend of mine at the time had a 94 Accord so it was fun to race it in the game.

The Prelude was one of my fave FF's in the early games. Could never decide between the 4th and 5th gens though. I loved the nose on the 4 but the rear was meh. The rear of the 5 was better but the nose was meh lol

Another FF that I liked racing with was the Honda Accord SiR. A friend of mine at the time had a 94 Accord so it was fun to race it in the game.

I have fond memories of the 4th gen because a dark green one was my starter car in GT2. I agree the rear is meh compared to the front, but the 5th gen is meh all around in my opinion :lol: Also have bad memories of the 5th gen due to that A License test in the middle section of GVS, which was the last license I golded in GT1 and took me 6 months :crazy: So you can guess which one I like better among the two :lol:

I have fond memories of the 4th gen because a dark green one was my starter car in GT2. I agree the rear is meh compared to the front, but the 5th gen is meh all around in my opinion :lol: Also have bad memories of the 5th gen due to that A License test in the middle section of GVS, which was the last license I golded in GT1 and took me 6 months :crazy: So you can guess which one I like better among the two :lol:

Hey Legend! Been awhile! :cheers:

It's funny how we remember some of those really brutal license tests. For me, the letters B3 (I think) are still burned into memory. Honda del Sol at Deep Forest, turn 1. Seems easy, but that one took forever to gold. :irked:

Hey Legend! Been awhile! :cheers:

It's funny how we remember some of those really brutal license tests. For me, the letters B3 (I think) are still burned into memory. Honda del Sol at Deep Forest, turn 1. Seems easy, but that one took forever to gold. :irked:

Hey mate, good to see you alive and kicking as well. We're like the mold of the GT1/2 forums it seems. Once we stick we never really go away :lol:

Ah yes I remember the del Sol one. For some reason that didn't take me too long, probably because I lucked out lol. With the PS1 and the poor accuracy of analog controls it's hit and miss sometimes whether you ace a corner or not. The Prelude test was just one of those that took a long time to luck out :lol:

You're more skilled than I then, or perhaps as you say you just got lucky. With me, B3 took ages. During my 20s I studied meditation for awhile, and found that getting into a Zen-like state was necessary to tackle B3!

...All things must pass... this shall get done .. B3 shall get done.... others have golded it, maybe thousands of others all over the globe therefore, you can do it too....

It was the only thing I could do to keep me from completely losing my mind, smashing up my dualshock controller, my TV, my Playstation, and so on. :mad:

My "underrated" ones were:
Toyota MR2 GTS - despite having MR drivetrain it was pretty predictable and fun to drive once it was tuned properly. As far as I remember it also appeared in some harder licence test.
Honda CRX del Sol LM - an MR rocket, also very fun to drive including longer endurance races with pit stops.
Mitsubishi FTO GP-R - in its racing modification with some 365HP it was the most powerful FF car. It could also beat and even humiliate legends in endurance races.

Agreed :)
Quite hard to tune, but the MR2 GTS is a killer. Even the normally aspirated G-Limited is good, you can win the GT World Cup with it:

In this case the opponents were quite weak (though the A.I. driven Primera is bit rude, especially if it drafts you), but some good drivers here would beat this series against the "big boys" I'm sure.

You're more skilled than I then, or perhaps as you say you just got lucky. With me, B3 took ages. During my 20s I studied meditation for awhile, and found that getting into a Zen-like state was necessary to tackle B3!

...All things must pass... this shall get done .. B3 shall get done.... others have golded it, maybe thousands of others all over the globe therefore, you can do it too....

It was the only thing I could do to keep me from completely losing my mind, smashing up my dualshock controller, my TV, my Playstation, and so on. :mad:
I actually nearly did a while ago because of that exact test.

Quite hard to tune, but the MR2 GTS is a killer. Even the normally aspirated G-Limited is good, you can win the GT World Cup with it:
Not surprised, as the GT Sport thread currently proves the car still holds up in the games even NOW :D

Latest Posts

Back