Unpopular Opinion - Forza Horizon 4 is a Huge Disappointment

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 91 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United Kingdom
England
Doomotron
NOTE: I wrote this before I had properly played the game, let alone completed it. Therefore the viewpoints I wrote about were... premature. Also, about the graphics thing: I didn't have my glasses back then so all games looked worse than they actually were. Below is the original post. Please do not reply to it because it is now redundant. I've written a new version at the end of the thread.

Last week I bought an Xbox One for Horizon 4 and with it, I got Horizon 3. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, as part of my free month of the Xbox Game Pass I got Forza Horizon 4. I've been playing it for about 5 hours and my god I'm glad I haven't paid for it.

The fact this game by default was an online game worried me even before the game came out and currently I have changed so I only play in singleplayer. It was a good choice on paper, but in the game? No. Just no.

The graphics in this game are pretty terrible no matter what you play it on. The design of the graphics honestly make it look like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. A game from 2007. The graphics of Forza Horizon 3 were better and (another unpopular opinion) Forza Horizon 2 for the Xbox 360's look better as well. It may seem like an exaggeration but it isn't. I'm serious.

I like Forza Horizon 2 and 3, Horizon 4 doesn't seem fun. I was never drawn into it and I don't really want to play it anymore. It seems less like a game and more like a product, like how Gran Turismo 6 felt a bit soulless.

Then there are some stupid design choices, like having only one button for the radio. This is thoroughly annoying. The quick chat feature could just have been put on another button - I'm sure the quick access to photo mode is unnecessary.

Out of all of the Horizon games, this is my least favourite. Forza Horizon was great. I loved Forza Horizon 2 on the Xbox 360 and have played it twice. I talked about Horizon 3 above.

Let's just say I won't be renewing my Game Pass this month.

I'm just preparing for the hate right now.

Last edited:
The fact this game by default was an online game worried me even before the game came out and currently I have changed so I only play in singleplayer. It was a good choice on paper, but in the game? No. Just no.
So it's a bad aspect because it gives you the option to choose to stay online, or if you'd like, stay offline? I'm not sure I understand how that's an issue.

The graphics in this game are pretty terrible no matter what you play it on. The design of the graphics honestly make it look like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. A game from 2007. The graphics of Forza Horizon 3 were better and (another unpopular opinion) Forza Horizon 2 for the Xbox 360's look better as well. It may seem like an exaggeration but it isn't. I'm serious.
This is a serious sentiment? It looks absolutely phenomenal with my One X and 4k/HDR tv. It's an extreme exaggeration, because I can't think of what way that those other games are better. Care to elaborate?

I like Forza Horizon 2 and 3, Horizon 4 doesn't seem fun. I was never drawn into it and I don't really want to play it anymore. It seems less like a game and more like a product, like how Gran Turismo 6 felt a bit soulless.
How so? What's it lacking that made the other two so fun?

Then there are some stupid design choices, like having only one button for the radio. This is thoroughly annoying. The quick chat feature could just have been put on another button - I'm sure the quick access to photo mode is unnecessary.
That is definitely annoying. However, this seems to be the only realistic opinion going on here, in my opinion. I completely disagree though, access to photomode is 100% used by me every single day, all the time. So I'm glad for that.

Starting and ending a conversation like that is a pretty good way to make it happen.

I have my gripes with the game, sure, but you didn't really go into detail about anything and instead just said "I like other games better."

Ok, that's fine although I think the "graphics from 2007" is perhaps a teeny bit of an exaggeration. Must say, I love it. The best one to date IMO but different folks for different strokes and all that.
The majority of it is an exaggeration. I can't think of one way that FH2 or FH3 was visually a better game. Especially saying that the 360 version of FH2 looks better.

I've tried it last saturday. It looks to me like FH3 with a different map; nothing that screams innovation or anything (seasons aside), but still not as bad as you're describing it IMHO. Graphics are a tiiiiny bit better than they were in FH3, driving feeling is exactly the same, sound department is getting worse. Not sure I'll buy it, but still, I don't find it so bad of a game.

I've tried it last saturday. It looks to me like FH3 with a different map; nothing that screams innovation or anything (seasons aside), but still not as bad as you're describing it IMHO. Graphics are a tiiiiny bit better than they were in FH3, driving feeling is exactly the same, sound department is getting worse. Not sure I'll buy it, but still, I don't find it so bad of a game.
I feel the graphics are a good step up, in my opinion. Reflections, ambient lighting, the way the sun runs off the body panels in the game. The lighting is a lot more natural and life like this time around and it shows in the gameplay as well as the photomode.

Driving does feel similar, but the controls feel a bit more twitchy this time around for some reason. As for the sound, I feel thats the one aspect that seems to have the least effort put into it this time around for the vehicles, but the world sounds are pretty nifty.

The majority of it is an exaggeration. I can't think of one way that FH2 or FH3 was visually a better game. Especially saying that the 360 version of FH2 looks better.

I think we need to be rational here. This whole topic strikes me as nothing more than baiting. His last sentence hinted as much. Just trying to be deliberately provocative because he knows it will get some numbnut foaming at the mouth. He will then sit back and laugh of him making a fool of himself.

But back on topic, you're right. There's nothing the other two have that this one doesn't. Except a few different cars and vistas.

It does matter what you play it on. If you're TV is old or not at least 1080p, I can see where the graphics would look sort of subpar. I'm playing on the PC and running it on its highest setting, it looks phenomenal.

My unpopular opinion? I'm not loving that this is the second iteration that makes me drive on the left side of the road. I always seem to hit traffic head on because I'm on the wrong side of the road.

So it's a bad aspect because it gives you the option to choose to stay online, or if you'd like, stay offline? I'm not sure I understand how that's an issue.
It's just that we've all seen a game that's had online free roam as its default game mode and we all know how that ended. *cough* NFS 2015

This is a serious sentiment? It looks absolutely phenomenal with my One X and 4k/HDR tv. It's an extreme exaggeration, because I can't think of what way that those other games are better. Care to elaborate?
The reflections in 3 and - yes, I'm serious - 2 are certainly better. Remember, Forza 4 has the best graphics of the Motorsport series, so it's definitely possible.

How so? What's it lacking that made the other two so fun?
To be honest, I'm not sure. But I just don't really enjoy playing the game as much as I did the last three. I think it might be that Horizon 4 (and 3, albeit slightly less) are a bit overwhelming in how they distribute events. Horizon 1 and 2 on the 360 were very good for this because it gave me bite-sized chunks to play and not giving me them in one big lump and telling me to do them.

So pacing, I guess.

That is definitely annoying. However, this seems to be the only realistic opinion going on here, in my opinion. I completely disagree though, access to photomode is 100% used by me every single day, all the time. So I'm glad for that.
The Select button (or whatever it's called on the Xbox One)?
Ok, that's fine although I think the "graphics from 2007" is perhaps a teeny bit of an exaggeration.
I was talking more about the menu demos. There quite similar, actually.
I can't think of one way that FH2 or FH3 was visually a better game. Especially saying that the 360 version of FH2 looks better.
Not the graphics themselves, but their design.

It's just that we've all seen a game that's had online free roam as its default game mode and we all know how that ended. *cough* NFS 2015
Yeah, and that game is really not similar to whats going on here. You're easily able to interchange between offline and online roaming without having to jump through hoops. NFS2015 required an internet connection, this doesn't. So how exactly is it the same?

The reflections in 3 and - yes, I'm serious - 2 are certainly better. Remember, Forza 4 has the best graphics of the Motorsport series, so it's definitely possible.
It had the best graphics of last gen, literally no where close to whats coming out this gen though. I don't recall the reflections ever being this clear, ever, or updated at the frames its being updated now. However, you're basing it off only that? That's rather shallow if that's the case and seems pretty unreasonable.

On top of that, you used the 360 version of FH2 to say the reflections are better. That can't be farther than the truth.

To be honest, I'm not sure. But I just don't really enjoy playing the game as much as I did the last three. I think it might be that Horizon 4 (and 3, albeit slightly less) are a bit overwhelming in how they distribute events. Horizon 1 and 2 on the 360 were very good for this because it gave me bite-sized chunks to play and not giving me them in one big lump and telling me to do them.
That makes sense, and I understand that point. I for one enjoy the content being that high, but this is just personal preference here. However, you don't really get them in one big lump as you get the basic structures, and as you level up one of them, it unlocks a handful more(usually 3-5). So if you focus on one branch, then the others don't populate as much. However, if you jump between all kinds of disciplines than I can understand.

The Select button (or whatever it's called on the Xbox One)?
The select button what?

Not the graphics themselves, but their design.
I really don't understand what this means.

Long shot but do you have any pictures to back up your claims about the older games having better graphics?
I myself am having a lot of fun with this version, Horizon 3 was my first game since I don't own an Xbox and it was first game on PC. Horizon 3 was a good game and did look pretty but there is just so much more to do in 4, I can set a waypoint for a race and find about 5 other things to do on the way.

I'm playing on the PC and running it on its highest setting, it looks phenomenal.
Added to which you can map the radio up and down buttons wherever you want.

It may look exactly the same as the last game for one week out of four to people who don't know what SSAO is but there's more meat to the gameplay because of the different cambers and road conditions and the jobs and Horizon Life stories.

It doesn't need to be online either.

Perhaps you should prepare yourself for the facts instead. I suspect there's more pity than hate on this thread.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned graphics, which "Xbox One" did you purchase? The original, the S or the X? What TV do you have? If you purchased the X, you can select 4K/30 or 1080/60 modes.

FH4 is a big step up from FH3, IMO, especially on the X. Dynamic shadow casting alone from the headlights is one such reason. If anyone is playing in graphics mode, race at night, and drive near gates and other objects. The shadows are spectacular. Love it.

My only major complaints are that many of the car models are as they, were a few games ago, and some of my favourite cars (typically) are quite poorly modeled; R32 GT-R, F355, etc. and the bodykit parts and wheels have not changed much if all for a few years. But I definitely take umbridge with your comment about the general graphics. Even on my regular Xbox One, the scenery and all that goes in it looks wonderful. Best yet for a Forza franchise IMO. There are definitely some rough points, but overall the game is a triumph surely.

Long shot but do you have any pictures to back up your claims about the older games having better graphics?
I myself am having a lot of fun with this version, Horizon 3 was my first game since I don't own an Xbox and it was first game on PC. Horizon 3 was a good game and did look pretty but there is just so much more to do in 4, I can set a waypoint for a race and find about 5 other things to do on the way.
It isn't the photo I'm looking for but it'll do for now.
gt5_prologue_new_racing.jpg

See what I mean? Forza Horizon 4's cars are just rendered too matty (if that's a word). Tell you what, I'll buy a 599 in FH4 and I'll take a screenshot, just to compare.
Added to which you can map the radio up and down buttons wherever you want.
And I'm on the Xbox One S.
Since you mentioned graphics, which "Xbox One" did you purchase? The original, the S or the X? What TV do you have? If you purchased the X, you can select 4K/30 or 1080/60 modes.
FH4 is a big step up from FH3, IMO, especially on the X. Dynamic shadow casting alone from the headlights is one such reason. If anyone is playing in graphics mode, race at night, and drive near gates and other objects. The shadows are spectacular. Love it.
Ditto, with a 1080p TV from a couple of years ago, although in France I have an older one that's 2K.
It had the best graphics of last gen, literally no where close to whats coming out this gen though. I don't recall the reflections ever being this clear, ever, or updated at the frames its being updated now. However, you're basing it off only that? That's rather shallow if that's the case and seems pretty unreasonable.

On top of that, you used the 360 version of FH2 to say the reflections are better. That can't be farther than the truth.
Wow, you really are taking this out of context. I used the fact that Forza Motorsport 4 has better graphics than both 5 and 6 - and possibly even 7 - to say that it's entirely possible. Also, have you even played the Xbox 360 version of Horizon 2? It looks spectacular reflection-wise.
The select button what?
The you know what I mean button.
I really don't understand what this means.
This is probably the simplest way I can put it: you can render a PS1 game in 4K but it'll still look like a PS1 game.

:lol::lol::lol:

No hate here, mate. I am just laughing my *** off.

View attachment 771045
I used the fact that Forza Motorsport 4 has better graphics than both 5 and 6 - and possibly even 7 - to say that it's entirely possible.
You might prefer some aspects of FM4's graphics over the newer titles, but it does not have better graphics overall than 5, 6 or 7 (which is to be expected due to the more powerful hardware in the XB1).

FM4 doesn't look bad at all, but the graphics are objectively worse compared to the subsequent games. The resolution, lighting, reflections, textures, AA, etc. are all higher/superior in the newer titles.
I know that YouTube comparisons aren't the best way of demonstrating graphical differences between games, but even with YouTube's compression, the improvements in graphics are immediately noticeable between FM4 and 5:

Also going to have to disagree with your thoughts on the graphics being bad - the game looks great even on medium settings, it looks gorgeous on max settings.

It's hard to feel "hate" towards a critique like this. Parts are incredibly vague. Other parts... well....

The online part of the game is optional, and can be turned off with the press of a single button if you don't want it.

Your bit about the game's graphics is just... jaw dropping. Not only is it the best looking of the Horizon games, I've seen many reviews cite it as one of the best looking games of this entire console generation. I don't even know what to do with that criticism, aside from just say... no? You could say you find the setting more visually drab than Australia or something, and I'd certainly respect that point of view (even if I disagree with it), but saying the GRAPHICS are worse? I don't even know how to begin. Your attempts to explain further in responses has just baffled me even more.

You determined that having the radio mapped to one button on the D-Pad was serious enough to warrant mention. I actually agree that it's a minor annoyance to have to cycle through the stations if you want to go back one, but that annoyance has comprised about 43 combined seconds of my time with the game.

Saying the game "feels like a product", is certainly an opinion you're welcome to, though it's not something anyone can really respond to without any clarification. How? Why? The core of the game feels very much like an ongoing refinement of the gameplay loop established in Horizon 3, in my opinion. How someone could like FH3, but find FH4 a HUGE disappointment, is something that doesn't compute to me. What about the game has become more "product-y", in your opinion? I'm honestly interested to know.

Ultimately if you're not feeling the game, you're not feeling it. I can respect that. But your stated reasons for this conclusion, seem really weak.

I really have no problem with people being disappointed in FH4 as I've seen enough in the game to where even I am a tad disappointed (I still love the game though). However the reasons listed in the OP are just odd. :odd:

In case you're wondering what things make me feel disappointed;
- Overly long tutorial
- There are bugs present that were also in FH3.
- The traffic cars not spawning bug that was seen in the very first dev. diary is still there.
- Route creator not being in at launch
- Lack of customization for the character models themselves.
- New paint options from FM7 are absent.

a bit overwhelming in how they distribute events. Horizon 1 and 2 on the 360 were very good for this because it gave me bite-sized chunks to play and not giving me them in one big lump and telling me to do them.

I agree it's overwhelming, but that seems to be the cost of having the game legitimately be "play the way you want". Your best bet is to decide what you want to do and filter the map to that.

Personally I'll take this setup over the mind-numbing single player campaign of FH2 any day. :yuck:

- Lack of customization for the character models themselves.

Agreed with this one. I hope they either add more player character choices to the game, or introduce a way to customize the existing ones a bit more.

It's less of an issue once your character is buried under layers of nonsense clothing, but it'd still be nice.

Oh, I'd also like an option to skip the game's version of "cutscenes", like the bits before the "World's Fastest" chapters where the dude talks about the cars. And the bits where you're forced to stare at the map for 10 seconds while they talk about the new speed traps or whatever, that they've added. Just being able to hit A to get on with it would be nice.

Last edited:
That photo you showed is nowhere near the quality of more current titles, look at the detail on the back of the car its all blurry and the rear lights have no detail in them like the current games

View attachment 771045
See what I mean? Forza Horizon 4's cars are just rendered too matty (if that's a word). Tell you what, I'll buy a 599 in FH4 and I'll take a screenshot, just to compare.

This was simply too ambitious for a PS3, a picture from Poly before the release of GT5. And what I find funny is that there is no "city" tracks in GTSport like London, Rome or R246, I guess the PS4 has something to do with it...

I miss the Game Face character customization in EA games and would like to see some development time spent on this in the next Horizon game if they have any to spare. It's hardly a game breaker though.

And the bits where you're forced to stare at the map for 10 seconds while they talk about the new speed traps or whatever, that they've added. Just being able to hit A to get on with it would be nice.
It's a bit annoying when you open the map in #Forzathon Live to find out where the next stage is and Jaimin starts chatting about all the speedzones and danger signs you just aced in the previous round. Luckily rounds are over ten minutes long.

Most of these complaints amount to niggles aside from the audio. It's interesting that GT Sport's sounds are much improved over GT6's just as the Forza sound guy went over to Polyphony. I think Playground are missing him.

View attachment 771045

I tried replicate that shot and I don't think the reflection looks matte though

jl7bFk7.jpg

The general gameplay loop feels the same as FH3 and visually looks identical to FH3 on the Xbox One S when I tried the demo, recently changed for a Xbox One X and it looks fantastic.

But there are quite a few things I find it disappointing in FH4 compared to the previous games

Having cars unlockable in wheelspins only is annoying as hell. With the inclusion of character clothing and emotes added to the spins, the chances of getting any of these day 1 unicorn is annoying. I'm fine with new cars that weren't on the official car list being rare like the recent facelift 911 GT3 RS from forzathon shop but announced day 1 content locked behind wheelspins feels a lot like FM7 specialty shop all over again. Auction house being the same long-ish loading makes it tedious to find these cars.

The whole thing for Horizon stories and businesses felt ridiculously short and it is pretty much just a reskinned bucket list with some unskippable cut scenes. The devs did mention there more stories and businesses coming in later months but it feels lacking on launch. Is odd to have custom championship from FH3 removed and replaced by weekly seasonal championship as well. Also the AI seems worse than FH3, it is more likely to crash into you or trying to push you off the road.

I tried replicate that shot and I don't think the reflection looks matte though

jl7bFk7.jpg

The general gameplay loop feels the same as FH3 and visually looks identical to FH3 on the Xbox One S when I tried the demo, recently changed for a Xbox One X and it looks fantastic.

But there are quite a few things I find it disappointing in FH4 compared to the previous games

Having cars unlockable in wheelspins only is annoying as hell. With the inclusion of character clothing and emotes added to the spins, the chances of getting any of these day 1 unicorn is annoying. I'm fine with new cars that weren't on the official car list being rare like the recent facelift 911 GT3 RS from forzathon shop but announced day 1 content locked behind wheelspins feels a lot like FM7 specialty shop all over again. Auction house being the same long-ish loading makes it tedious to find these cars.

The whole thing for Horizon stories and businesses felt ridiculously short and it is pretty much just a reskinned bucket list with some unskippable cut scenes. The devs did mention there more stories and businesses coming in later months but it feels lacking on launch. Is odd to have custom championship from FH3 removed and replaced by weekly seasonal championship as well. Also the AI seems worse than FH3, it is more likely to crash into you or trying to push you off the road.
Dude you are comparing a bullshot with a badly taking photo, this is how GT6/5 looked in gameplay
maxresdefault.jpg

GT5/6 didn't look anywhere near to that so stop trolling or just think before you post things like that. Right now im thinking that you are trolling, because FH4 is the best looking racing game right now. Saying that GT5 looks better is nothing more than trolling to me. Show me anyhting close to this in GT5/6 or even GTS
44928567012_f1253b1284_o.png

44928576942_d8eb94eb22_o.png

44928568102_8ab1598aa8_o.png

45118093511_8dde92543a_o.png

And saying that FH4 plays the same isn't a bad thing you now, FH3 handling was the best of both worlds (sim and arcade), and the best for a open world racing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back