Unused / Hidden Content Discoveries in Gran Turismo 5

• Thread starter elston87
  • 33 comments
United States
Las Vegas, NV
K_E_87th
Seeing as how literally every other game here (apart from GT6, but that will have its own thread soon enough) has its own thread here regarding this subject, I think it's about time that Gran Turismo 5 receives its own thread as well. Spurred off from the Gran Turismo 4 / PSP Course Found in Gran Turismo 5 thread, lots of other discoveries are being made as well but are being posted on that thread, so the purpose of this thread is to keep any other discoveries organized. Also, if other users discover content that fits the criteria, it can be posted in here as well.

The Index

Any other new discoveries can be posted in this thread, and will be appropriately added to the index. Timestamps are from various sources that are not GTPlanet; the earlier discoveries were found elsewhere and were published to GTPlanet usually on the following day. If your post/discovery doesn't get added to the index, send me a PM or possibly someone else will tag me to get it added!

Last edited:
So how do you activate the turn signals and hazards ? Inquiring minds want to know ? Controller or wheel buttons used ?
They can only be used on one car, and to do so, you have to change mapped input functions within the game executable. I've stopped searching for other cars seeing as the DB9 is still literally the only car to have them functioning.

In other news, I've discovered the offset for changing the camera view in GT5. And thanks to @j0nny0093 for his work on documenting both the used and the unused camera view values for GTPSP, it made finding them for GT5 a lot easier, and what do you know, most of them that work in GTPSP work here in GT5, including the free cameras.

...and with enough manipulation of the free camera, I was able to snap some interesting screenshots of Special Stage Route X, including being able to finally put the theory of The Unicorn (Route X) still being present in SSRX to rest (it's not there unfortunately).

At the end of the very long straight that branches from the turnpike, no more textures or geometry is rendered, so it's just not there:

Still, I was able to take some nice screenshots with the free camera:

All of the unused camera views shall be documented to The Cutting Room Floor soon enough.

The good news about the unused cameras is that they also works in GT6, and there are even some more. We will document that as well.
Regarding GT5, other than the unused cameras, we managed to find out the offset to change the FOV for both cockpit and chase cam. I think it's possible to move the camera X and Y position as well, but I don't know where to look for those values at the moment. Thanks to @TheAdmiester for the help finding those values.
Cockpit FOV zommed out.
Gran Turismo 5.png
Gran Turismo 5_1.png

Chase cam FOV zoomed in.
Gran Turismo 5_2.png
Gran Turismo 5_3.png

Now two shots , one of Eiger..
Gran Turismo 5_15.png

.. and night time route X
Gran Turismo 5_41.png

So how do you activate the turn signals and hazards ? Inquiring minds want to know ? Controller or wheel buttons used ?
Intriguing. But does it work for standard cars or is it only limited to premium cars?

I think it's possible to move the camera X and Y position as well, but I don't know where to look for those values at the moment.

There's some XYZ stuff around 0x42410000 in GT6, so around where the gameplay cameras are?

I found the car XYZ here. Maybe using the camera editor and doing a float search will discover the camera XYZ

1sek7a.jpg

44gt6gskdp.jpg

untitled-2r6kyh.jpg

For those with a jailbroken PS3 and GT6 fully updated here is where the cameras are:

Netcheat code - 0 423A821B ** / this can be used with Artemis on the PS3 itself, so no messing about with a pc to enable the codes.

Various cameras between 00 - 28

Camera editor:

- 21 (external cameras - due to low LOD of interior)
- 22 (internal cameras, motion blur enabler)
- 23 (internal cameras)
- 25 (360 internal camera)

Last edited:
Discovered a month ago but never had the time to post it; Gran Turismo 5 can be launched in debug mode, with a few discoveries being unveiled in the process:

When using the Course Maker, you can change the seed of the course; so long as the other parameters are correct (such as number of sections in the course, complexity of each section, etc.), then the Course Maker will always generate the same course each and every time.
4OnmewSl.png

Some debug information shows up when viewing your B-Spec drivers:

dsOgosml.png

Discovered a month ago but never had the time to post it; Gran Turismo 5 can be launched in debug mode, with a few discoveries being unveiled in the process:

When using the Course Maker, you can change the seed of the course; so long as the other parameters are correct (such as number of sections in the course, complexity of each section, etc.), then the Course Maker will always generate the same course each and every time.
4OnmewSl.png

Some debug information shows up when viewing your B-Spec drivers:

dsOgosml.png
Does that have something to do with the debug option seen in the Garage Editor 1.3.1.? 💡
Or is it completely irrelevant?

Does that have something to do with the debug option seen in the Garage Editor 1.3.1.? 💡
Or is it completely irrelevant?
Irrelevant. Enabling debug mode for the game is done by editing the executable appropriately, and then running the game on a PS3 debugging station. Not sure if it'd work on any other console.
VBR
@elston87 - By the way: are you a programmer/coder?
Nothing of the sort! It's just a matter of flipping the right switches or changing the right bytes of data to make things work. Sometimes there's a bit of research involved, other times it's just pure blind luck. :D

Nothing of the sort! It's just a matter of flipping the right switches or changing the right bytes of data to make things work. Sometimes there's a bit of research involved, other times it's just pure blind luck. :D

I meant that as an off-topic question, not related to your finds in GT games.

VBR
I meant that as an off-topic question, not related to your finds in GT games.
My answer remains the same. Although, other people who are programmers have developed very helpful tools that have made the process of finding most of the content a lot easier, and also a lot sooner, than expected. If it weren't for their devotion of time and energy towards their work, then most of this content would not have been found so soon. Suffice to say, while I am no programmer myself, this much progress has been made thanks to people who are programmers and have developed these tools.

Shout-outs to those people; you know who you are! 👍

Double post, but with a worthwhile update:

Finally getting some free time to update this thread, a few months ago I discovered a debugging free camera inside GT5. Unlike the previous camera discovery, this is a complete freecam, allowing you to point the camera in whatever direction you want (unlike the previous camera which was directly centered on the car). You can pan, tilt, rotate, and even adjust the zoom, and move the camera to places the player cannot normally see.

Here's a few shots of Trial Mountain, including Nessie (click the images to enlarge):

wnaIqVkl.jpg

In addition, very recently on a GT5 LAN Discord server, it was discovered that pressing the Select button while the game is running in Debug Mode opens up a secret menu with a load of features on it. All kinds of things are possible with it, such as adding cars in any color you want, unlocking DLC items (some only temporarily), adding items to your inventory such as all paints, all outfits items and all tuning parts, adjusting Credits, A-Spec and B-Spec Levels & Experience points, and so much more.

Like above, click the images to enlarge them:

These discoveries shall be (eventually) documented in more detail on The Cutting Room Floor, either by myself or another user of the community. The list continues!

Forgive my ignorance, could I get all this for my GT5 too? Since I was a child I have wanted a mode or an option that would allow me to completely customize the starting grid, even with standard cars.

Okay, so inside game files in GT5 Kiosk Demo it appears there is a strings of a very unique car: "mach5_08".
It uses the label "0578" which is located where GT5P are (after the BMW M3 Coupé '07 but before the Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '06).

If you want to know the stats here the list:
Displacement: 7993cc
Engine Type: V16
Cam: DOHC
Aspiration: Turbo
Power Output: 1724ps/8000rpm
Torque: 1935,0Nm/5500rpm
Lenght: 5080mm
Height: 1143mm
Wheelbase: 2540mm
Mass: 1034kg

Road & Track wrote an April Fools (2008) review with PD being credited as having provided the fictional specs.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a13849/racer-motors-mach-5/
http://www.smcars.net/threads/road-track-racer-motors-mach-5.26286/#lg=post-191261&slide=3

Credits to @Double H for the Road & Track source.

Okay, so inside game files in GT5 Kiosk Demo it appears there is a strings of a very unique car: "mach5_08".
It uses the label "0578" which is located where GT5P are (after the BMW M3 Coupé '07 but before the Aston Martin DB9 Coupe '06).

If you want to know the stats here the list:
Displacement: 7993cc
Engine Type: V16
Cam: DOHC
Aspiration: Turbo
Power Output: 1724ps/8000rpm
Torque: 1935,0Nm/5500rpm
Lenght: 5080mm
Height: 1143mm
Wheelbase: 2540mm
Mass: 1034kg

Road & Track wrote an April Fools (2008) review with PD being credited as having provided the fictional specs.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a13849/racer-motors-mach-5/
http://www.smcars.net/threads/road-track-racer-motors-mach-5.26286/#lg=post-191261&slide=3

Credits to @Double H for the Road & Track source.

Could that not be the Audi Autounion V16 Streamline? Think it might already be in the game but if not, the stats above are a decent match to the Audi Streamline

Could that not be the Audi Autounion V16 Streamline? Think it might already be in the game but if not, the stats above are a decent match to the Audi Streamline

The Auto Union Type C had a 6-litre supercharged V16 with about 520ps, that's a long way from an 8-litre turbo at 1724ps.

The Auto Union Type C had a 6-litre supercharged V16 with about 520ps, that's a long way from an 8-litre turbo at 1724ps.

A only skimmed thru the stats pal a didnt exactly compare each one on google a just took a guess if thats ok

2ly8BI.jpg

OLD TSUKUBA happened a bit later... then the moments we had before that getting things to load up to a point...
(eventually some people realised it also mattered which game version you were on...)
and Old Tsukuba + Pikes Peak + one more still loaded past a certain game version... unlike most of them...

THANKS AGAIN JONNY!!!
2lyPpf.jpg

Grand Canyon - first attempts...
209dTx.jpg

Pikes Peak... (single player mode had even more problems then 2player mode)
(eg spawning in mid-air, falling endlessly at top speed...
fast enough to make the tires burn! and the speedo break!)

2lykLN.jpg

since we were Blind... it was nice to use tools to check what was happening...
2lytBS.jpg

20Jb4I.jpg

Kristofr Theory FTW!
20d9vn.jpg

also realising we can finally race cars on kart tracks & do weather related swaps...
209DtR.jpg

SEATTLE!!!
20dq4S.jpg

20dca1.jpg

20dtwb.jpg

Last edited:
Double post, but with a worthwhile update:

Finally getting some free time to update this thread, a few months ago I discovered a debugging free camera inside GT5. Unlike the previous camera discovery, this is a complete freecam, allowing you to point the camera in whatever direction you want (unlike the previous camera which was directly centered on the car). You can pan, tilt, rotate, and even adjust the zoom, and move the camera to places the player cannot normally see.

Here's a few shots of Trial Mountain, including Nessie (click the images to enlarge):

wnaIqVkl.jpg

In addition, very recently on a GT5 LAN Discord server, it was discovered that pressing the Select button while the game is running in Debug Mode opens up a secret menu with a load of features on it. All kinds of things are possible with it, such as adding cars in any color you want, unlocking DLC items (some only temporarily), adding items to your inventory such as all paints, all outfits items and all tuning parts, adjusting Credits, A-Spec and B-Spec Levels & Experience points, and so much more.

Like above, click the images to enlarge them:

These discoveries shall be (eventually) documented in more detail on The Cutting Room Floor, either by myself or another user of the community. The list continues!

Hey!!! I absolutely NEED to know how get access to this menu! Can you please do some tutorial (text or video) to explain better? It would be very much appreciated <3

Haven't had the time to update this thread lately but I ran into something interesting:

Remember the Secret Settings menus from Gran Turismo HD Concept and GT5 Prologue? Remember how everyone thought GT5 scrapped the button code used to access it? Well, as it turns out, there has been a button code this whole time, hiding for so many years until I discovered it today.

Hold down these two buttons:
L1 + R1

And input this 13-button sequence to unlock it:
Up Up Up, Right Right Right, Up Up, Right Right, Up, Right, Start

...and there you have it; no save editing required to access the Secret Settings. Although you'll have to input the button code each time you want to make changes to the settings, as it doesn't stay unlocked when you exit the Options. Regardless, GT5 is the game that keeps on giving with each and every new discovery!

Hey!!! I absolutely NEED to know how get access to this menu! Can you please do some tutorial (text or video) to explain better? It would be very much appreciated <3
I plan on adding to the TCRF page with how to access the debug camera very soon. I'd recently lost my notes when I changed computers but @j0nny0093 still had a copy of them that I sent him, so I'll be getting to that as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Back