UPDATE: Gran Turismo 3 3D/High Quality Race Wheels Mod "teaser" images.

• Thread starter Miskaroni
  • 24 comments
Finland
Finland
Hello!
For some time I've been working on a bunch of different modifications for GT3, and I decided to post some images of my personal favourite mod of the bunch.

What the mod does, is it both updates the car models in GT3 to the ones used in GTC, and on top of that, massively improves the wheel models that are used during races. Most cars were updated in GTC, some minorly, some majorly, so it's a nice upgrade. The wheels though, are pretty much a game changer, and they also fix a lot of issues with wheels.

Following are the pros of the mod:
• Upgraded car models from Gran Turismo Concept.
• Much better looking wheel models in races, which are normally only used in menus.
• Fixes the misalignment of wheel models.
• Fixes the wheel rims disappearing/reappearing in some car models, like the Escudo Pikes Peak, and Castrol Supra.
• Lightning effects can now be seen on wheels clearly, and on individual spokes etc.
• Works with real hardware (on a PS2), and doesn't cause framerate issues.
• Wheels are rendered further away, when using a special .pnach/ps2rd cheat file. (Will be included in a possible release of the mod in the future.)
• All model modifications are hand-made!
UPDATE: The mod can now be finished, and will be developed to be released.

Cons of the mod:
• Requires the use of a .pnach/ps2rd cheat file, otherwise wheels will appear like a graphical mess when viewed from a far. (Game attempts to load LOD models, but 3D wheels don't have them.)

Here are the images:
Stock:
uhjtugil.png

Modded:
DgFzUYNl.png

Stock:
pbHtkCAl.png

Modded:
h48yllOl.png

Notice here how the updated model has a much more vivid blue colour.
Stock:
MuzZSWFl.png

Modded:
NlNKo5cl.png

Here, notice the major difference in the quality of the car model!
Stock:
ZV0A58wl.png

Modded:
nITvDyLl.png

Here's a picture to show what it looks like from another view: (Bad image, I know.)
3JtLbXr.png

There you go!
UPDATE: Due to research conducted on the game's 3D models, I've found ways to fix any problems the mod had before, so it can now be developed to the end and released! :cheers:
I may add some more pictures at some point, I know they aren't exactly the best.

For anyone interested, I'll list my other mods that are WIP: (Names aren't final on any ones!)
• Soundtrack Mod. Adds all songs from GT3 NTSC-J, PAL, and Gran Turismo Concept, + 4 Gran Turismo 2 songs. Basically in a finished state.
• Sound Effect Mod. More like a memory edit cheat (.pnach, ps2rd), brings back the familiar GT2 turbo whine and turbo pressure release sounds to both 1st and 3rd person camera modes. Also modifies how the car sounds are played, BG music volume, sound effect volume, etc. Basically finished, should just specify right volumes and values and make the cheat file.
• GT3 Config mod. Modifies things like car prizes, arcade course selections etc. Aimed to make the game far more balanced and less easy. Will probably be eventually used to bring new tracks to arcade mode, once new tooling comes out. Essentially finished, but waiting for more possibilities with tooling.
• Exhaust mod. A mod that modifies car sounds, brings new sounds from GT2, GT3 Beta, GT4 Prologue, and GT4. Mod is finished, apart for GTC cars.
• Course mod. Brings updated, and new courses from GTC, and possibly GT4 Prologue. To add completely new courses, needs more tooling, otherwise essentially finished.
• Lightning mod. Modifies car head- and taillights to look more like what they did in GT3 beta (better), and also modifies the environment light in night/eve tracks. May also change fog effects. Not much work done for this one, but shouldn't take long to finish once started.
• GTC Cars mod. This mod brings most of GTC's cars to GT3.

That's it for now. :cheers:

Last edited:
Looking forward!
Is it also possible to port all new cars (Ford GT Concept, GTR Concept etc.) and Autumn Ring/SSR5 Pod Track from GTC to GT3?

EDIT
ahhh I didn't read your post Completly. Yea, Course and Car mod looks very Promising.
When these mods finished, I will do a playthrough on youtube. Of course I'll link you in the video description!

Last edited:
Looking forward!
Is it also possible to port all new cars (Ford GT Concept, GTR Concept etc.) and Autumn Ring/SSR5 Pod Track from GTC to GT3?

EDIT
ahhh I didn't read your post Completly. Yea, Course and Car mod looks very Promising.
When these mods finished, I will do a playthrough on youtube. Of course I'll link you in the video description!

Is possible, but you need to modify game's data
And not all cars can be ported
But tracks all works!

Thanks for the info!
Are the tracks swapped or are they independent and do not replace other tracks?
Tracks can be either swapped or added, both work. There are some issues with adding though, as we cannot modify the game's textures yet and it has minor problems because the new courses of course don't have menu icons etc.
And yeah, it is possible to port all cars, but we don't yet have the tools. The tracks can be easily added though!

Thanks for the info!
Are the tracks swapped or are they independent and do not replace other tracks?

Adding works, but missing thumbnails and background video it softlocks when load the menu again, so is safer to replace. When will be tools that can dump thumbnails we can add tracks without issues

Hey, man. How u doing? I have a question... Those GT2 songs you fitted in, they are those in the Music of the Sound of Speed that didn't make in the game? (I know there's more, but I remember Cars from Fear Factory), or they're on the game itself, like Dragula, etc?

Hey, man. How u doing? I have a question... Those GT2 songs you fitted in, they are those in the Music of the Sound of Speed that didn't make in the game? (I know there's more, but I remember Cars from Fear Factory), or they're on the game itself, like Dragula, etc?
Hi!
I was away from GTP for a while due to suddenly experiencing problems with email here.
The songs included are the in-game versions found in GT2, there are 4 of them, and they are from the PAL version of GT2.

Hello ,
first of all thank you for the attention you still have after so many years of releasing GT3 and 4 games! On a scale of% you are at where,? Yes, that was one of the most disappointing things about the rims in full gameplay and replay.
Cordially

Hello ,
first of all thank you for the attention you still have after so many years of releasing GT3 and 4 games! On a scale of% you are at where,? Yes, that was one of the most disappointing things about the rims in full gameplay and replay.
Cordially

It's a bit difficult to give it a percentage, but I'd say it's somewhere at 70%. Most of the final required work will only take a few days, but first I'll have to finish the required research for the car+course files so that I can begin fully modding them. Otherwise, I'm just really waiting for tools for the game to get updated/released, so that I can properly finish it.
Any plans to add FOV options? You can change FOV in GT1, GT2, GT4, GT5, but not GT3 which is my favorite 👎
The FOV is a bit tricky, as the addresses for FOV change between game modes, but I might include FOV adjustment as a pnach/ps2rd cheat mod.
If it was a static address, I'd do it immediately, but it isn't sadly.

The FOV is a bit tricky, as the addresses for FOV change between game modes, but I might include FOV adjustment as a pnach/ps2rd cheat mod.
If it was a static address, I'd do it immediately, but it isn't sadly.
I've been revisiting GT4 again recently due to the new (to me, at least) secret menu to fix the FOV irk that I've had with it since 2004. Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, it worked with Tourist Trophy as well so finally having fun with that too. One problem that still remain is when you widen the FOV, the camera pulls back too so the car looks tiny in the center of the screen. It would be nice to have general camera options to go with the FOV adjustment, like FOV, distance, pitch angle (a downward chase camera exists only in GT4 replays), and swing/sway looseness (similar to GT Sport). However I understand that's probably a massive undertaking if we broaden the scope too much.

I've been revisiting GT4 again recently due to the new (to me, at least) secret menu to fix the FOV irk that I've had with it since 2004. Surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, it worked with Tourist Trophy as well so finally having fun with that too. One problem that still remain is when you widen the FOV, the camera pulls back too so the car looks tiny in the center of the screen. It would be nice to have general camera options to go with the FOV adjustment, like FOV, distance, pitch angle (a downward chase camera exists only in GT4 replays), and swing/sway looseness (similar to GT Sport). However I understand that's probably a massive undertaking if we broaden the scope too much.

There's a load of addresses in GT3 RAM that control the camera, like how loosely it follows the car and such. I don't think I've saved all those addresses, but I've definitely got some of them saved, so I could make use of them.

Last edited:
Hey, do you have any news when you want to release the Mod and the GTC / Early GT4P content for GT3? I want to a Playthrough with the mod on my second YT Channel :)

Really glad to hear it, I think we're all looking forward to your modification and being able to play it on real hardware!

I admit that an additional camera (or the one that is already installed in subjective view for example) to be able to change it (or replace it) and put the view above the roof (like that of GT4) of the car which is more immersive, with a good impression of speed and better precision in the gameplay!

As well as having the K/hm units of the Japanese game (60hz) instead of the Miles of the American game

Can you give an update on what is changing in the game, content, visuals in the garage, as well as in the arcade.

Do you have an approximate date of this?
(GT3 A-spec V.2).

Back