Omnis

Not Even A Real Mod
Staff Emeritus
United States
Application hell
MP-Omnis
Need some help here, folks.

a8qPw.jpg

My dad and I were set to bleed the brakes on his ES. He keeps losing brake fluid somehow but we don't know where it's going (more on that later). We were bleeding them just to make sure no bubbles were in the line.

I turn the car on, press down on the brake pedal, my dad bleeds it. The brake pedal turns to mush and falls all the way to the floor, then it stiffens back up as I let off some pressure, and when I put pressure back on it, the engine bogs down and stops. WTF. I try starting it again and the starter can't turn the engine. It's stuck. Won't move it.

We tried whatever we could to get it going again. A couple tries later it finally is able to turn over but not start. One more try gets it started but white smoke starts billowing from the exhaust (pictured above). It's was like we Seafoamed it. Totally bizarre! Luckily, everything seems to be OK. We drove it and let it run and the white smoke eventually stopped even though the smell is still there. We got a precautionary oil change afterwards too.

So what happened? Is it possible for brake fluid to get into the engine somehow? Because that's what it smelled like. We have hypothesized that there is a leak into the brake booster and that a pool of brake fluid somehow made its way to the intake via the vacuum line. Is this plausible? My dad noted how some time several days ago he had to make a panic stop and the engine seemed to bog down similar to what happened today, although it didn't seize up on him or anything.

We've done brakes on lots of cars and have never ever had anything this unusual happen. We thought maybe the car just blew up coincidentally, but since it's running fine we don't know what the heck is going on.

What does GTPlanet think? I've already sent PMs to someone, but the more help I can get the better. Thanks guys.

Yes. Pull out the vacuum hose of the booster. Most likely it will be wet inside. It will destroy your engine if you keep driving with brake fluid pouring into it.

I've seen it happen before. Believe me when I say it will destroy it. If that isn't already the case...

Is there anything else that can cause this or is just a small leak enough? And did the Japanese design their brakes to pee in your motor if you ever decide to service them the Cuban way? I guess we're kind of lucky the engine stopped instead of blowing a valve or something like that.

Is there anything else that can cause this or is just a small leak enough? And did the Japanese design their brakes to pee in your motor if you ever decide to service them the Cuban way?

A small amount of brake fluid is enough for lots and lots of smoke. But all cars with a vacuum brakebooster can suffer from this. Not just the Japanese.

I've seen it happen on an MG-C. The engine was gone. Really gone.

The vacuum of the engine helps you to press in the Master brake cilinder. When a seal inside the master goes leak, and the fluid creeps into the booster, the vacuum will suck it into the engine.

Pull out the hose in the booster, it's pushed into a rubber, so it will put up a fight getting it out, and back in..

We have hypothesized that there is a leak into the brake booster and that a pool of brake fluid somehow made its way to the intake via the vacuum line. Is this plausible?

Ding Ding Ding!

Exactly what's happening. Take the vacuum tube off (as stated above) and you'll have your answer. Time to replace the booster.

Ding Ding Ding!

Exactly what's happening. Take the vacuum tube off (as stated above) and you'll have your answer. Time to replace the booster.

Ding Ding dong.

Almost.

Time to replace the booster and Master cilinder.

So, how do we fix it?

Find the biggest hammer you can find and then you...

J/K

Remove the master brake cilinder. (easy peasy, 2 nuts and a couple of brake lines.) Get a new one.

Remove the Booster. (bit harder, usually bolted from the inside) Get a new one.

Install booster.

Install Master brake cilinder.

Drive.

Ding Ding dong.

Almost.

Time to replace the booster and Master cilinder.

Yeah that too.

Find the biggest hammer you can find and then you...

J/K

Remove the master brake cilinder. (easy peasy, 2 nuts and a couple of brake lines.) Get a new one.

Remove the Booster. (bit harder, usually bolted from the inside) Get a new one.

Install booster.

Install Master brake cilinder.

Bleed brakes again.

Drive.

Fixed.

I'm afraid to bleed the brakes again. Might blow a canooter valve.

Dad drove it to Atlanta for a couple of job interviews. Figured he would get it fixed after the trip since he's broke. It died on the way home in Jacksonville.

Don't drive your Lexus if you have a brake fluid leak.

Dad drove it to Atlanta for a couple of job interviews. Figured he would get it fixed after the trip since he's broke. It died on the way home in Jacksonville.

Don't drive your Lexus if you have a brake fluid leak.

Told you so.

I'll bet there is a nice hole in a piston or the valves are a bit smaller now.

Yeah, I know. That's what happens when you're too broke to fix something and desperate for a job. Oh well. Thanks for your help anyway.

Yeah, I know. That's what happens when you're too broke to fix something and desperate for a job. Oh well. Thanks for your help anyway.

Yeah that sucks even more.

The car dying could also be the injectors being greasy as hell, and the plugs too.

Pull those out, clean them up, remove the vacuum from the booster and start the car, maybe you guys are lucky.

Oh, and close off the vacuum tube to the engine when starting.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Engine fragged out.

It's an $8000 fix, or they could put in a used engine for $4.5k. It has 80k miles on it so that's unacceptable, however.

Dad found this website http://www.automotix.net/usedengines/2005-lexus-es330-inventory.html that has an engine with 47k miles for about 1.3 grand. What do you guys think? Any experience with services like these?

We're probably going to end up shipping that to the dealer, but my dad wanted my opinion first. Of course, I have no idea so I want to see what the planeteers have to say.

Eric, while I wouldn't normally be opposed to an idea like that, this is srs business.

Meanwhile, we're trying to get the Zombie Stanza to come back to life. ECU is on its way. We've tried everything else, so if that don't work we'll throw bath salts in the intake.

So I'm probably going to start driving Ol' Smokey within the next few months. The Accent is due for its 90k mile engine belt change and all that stuff... D Check, if you will. We might try to sell it or just keep it sidelined before then. Basically, family is doing a car shuffle since my grandpa's lease is up and my dad has to commute hella far to work every day. The leased car would still be under warranty, cost a lot less to maintain, and almost doubles the fuel economy for his commute.

We wound up putting an engine with no miles from a wrecked RX330 in it. Let me tell you, it runs a lot better than the old one did. Seems like it's a lot smoother and more balanced. Probably also helps that it isn't sippin on brake juice. Royal purple drank.

You're the only family that I know of that nuked a Lexus engine due to brake fluid from a leaking booster. I had some clients who tried their best to skip oil changes, or in some cases, their worst (two customers went over 40,000 without LOFs). We had boosters go blammo on a bunch of Canadian-built RX 330s, so many 2004 models had recalls.

Your car is now an REX 330. But more Nervous, rather than Tyrannosaurus.

Is the "D" light working on your gear selector? That was a silly issue...

Last time I checked around my knob, the "D" was in working order.

And, remember, this is not just any trundling zombie. She ate a cylinder's capacity of brake fluid, drove 1,000 miles, and gave up the ghost doing 100mph in Jacksonville

Back