US Vs. UK: Yellow Concept Car? Purple RX-7 LM?

• Thread starter Shade
  • 28 comments
What gives? This is a direct quote from a prize car list I found:

US Vs. UK
*[R]Dodge Concept Car (yellow or purple)
*[R]Mazda RX-7 A spec LM Edition (green or purple)

I have tried this COUNTLESS times and have NEVER EVER EVER seen a yellow Concept Car or a purple RX-7 LM... Do they exist? I do have the PAL version, which may be half the problem, but if any fellow PAL-er's out there have ever seen these colours, please let me know... I really want the purple RX-7 (cause the green is crap), but if doesn't exist, I must move on...

Thanks in advance =o)

Shade

US Vs. UK

I have tried this COUNTLESS times and have NEVER EVER EVER seen a yellow Concept Car or a purple RX-7 LM... Do they exist?

Thanks in advance =o)
Your welcome!👍

Attachments

• gt1-9a.JPG
    gt1-9a.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 182
  • gt1-9p.JPG
    gt1-9p.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 188
I find that especially around the purples exact colour of cars varies from published lists, depending upon your TV settings. (i.e. it might look more blue to you). But I don't think that's your problem here.

Shade

US Vs. UK

I have tried this COUNTLESS times and have NEVER EVER EVER seen a yellow Concept Car or a purple RX-7 LM... Do they exist? I do have the PAL version, which may be half the problem, but if any fellow PAL-er's out there have ever seen these colours, please let me know... I really want the purple RX-7 (cause the green is crap), but if doesn't exist, I must move on...

Thanks in advance =o)

I have both cars and I'm a PAL user.

Personally, I didn't like the Red Copperhead in GT1. You can't do anything to it...it's an awesome car but you can't put any more power under that hood. I specifically won this car after struggling for HOURS trying to get that damn del Sol thru the Deep Forest test so I could get all gold medals. I assumed I'd be able to give the Copperhead more power like the purple one has but no...The GT2 red Copperhead (nowhere in any literature does Dodge refer to this as the Concept Car*by the way) is heavier but you can do more things with it since its power can be boosted.

Last edited:
The yellow "race-modified" Concept Car was a lot rarer in all my games than the purple one. But I did win it a few times.

I never noticed a particular bias for the RX-7 Aspec LM.

That's in the North American version.

Parnelli Bone
Personally, i didn't like the Red Copperhead in GT1. You can't do anything to it...it's an awesome car but you can't put any more power under that hood. I specifically won this car after struggling for HOURS trying to get that damn del Sol thru the Deep Forest test so i could get all gold medals. I assumed i'd be able to give the Copperhead more power like the purple one has but no...The GT2 red Copperhead (nowhere in any literature does Dodge refer to this as the ‘Concept Car’*by the way) is heavier but you can do more things with it since its power can be boosted.

You could lower the suspension and such on the Copperhead and I thought you could do some changes to the engine but I would have to check. GT calls it a Concept Car thought doesn't it?

TMM
You could lower the suspension and such on the Copperhead and I thought you could do some changes to the engine but I would have to check. GT calls it a Concept Car thought doesn't it?

Gran Turismo calls it a Concept Car but Dodge calls it the Copperhead. It was a prototype/show car that they never put into production. I don't know why GT calls it the Concept..it just seems kind of lame.

You could lower the suspension on it and change tires, but you couldn't buy any engine upgrades. I wanted to win this car so i could take the Tuned Series in GT1, but without that extra 300 horsepower, it just doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Gran Turismo calls it a Concept Car but Dodge calls it the Copperhead. It was a prototype/show car that they never put into production. I don't know why GT calls it the Concept..it just seems kind of lame.

yeah, you could lower the suspension on it and change tires, but you couldn't buy any engine upgrades. I wanted to win this car so i could take the Tuned Series in GT1, but without that extra 300 horsepower, it jsut doesn't make sense.

That explains why they brought out the [R] version with about 200 HP more.

A "Concept Car" is a car built in limited numbers (sometimes just one) mainly for the purpose of exhibiting at auto shows. A web search should find you a definition or two. E.g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concept_car

I would guess that some concept cars have been life-sized (i.e. non-running) models only.

The Viper was actually also a concept car, and the production version was actually very close to it in design.

Why GT takes the generic term and uses it to refer to the particular prototype, and avoids the name Copperhead (especially in later games) is an interesting question. ("Concept Car LM" ???)

The cool thing about Dodge is that in the 90's they've been regularly trying to put their concepts into reality: there's the Viper, but there's also the Prowler, the PT Cruiser, probly a couple others I'm forgetting. It's too bad they never tried to sell any Copperheads. Not that I could ever afford one...

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone

yeah, you could lower the suspension on it and change tires, but you couldn't buy any engine upgrades. I wanted to win this car so i could take the Tuned Series in GT1, but without that extra 300 horsepower, it jsut doesn't make sense.

I checked, you could do some engine upgrades but not fit a turbo or NA Tune it.

HYBRDLVR is the hybrid king of GT2, he's got some crazy pix of cars he's made somewhere on this site. Unbelievable stuff.

shaunsund
Thank you wise one. :bowdown:
But i did'nt even know what hybrids were before signing up to be a member :)

That's alright, you can stop bowing now!!!!

Parnelli Bone
HYBRDLVR is the hybrid king of GT2, he's got some crazy pix of cars he's made somewhere on this site. Unbelievable stuff.

He can do the same with GT cars as well but it is harder, something about having to build the car from scratch not just change parts as in GT2.

TMM
That's alright, you can stop bowing now!!!!

He can do the same with GT cars as well but it is harder, something about having to build the car from scratch not just change parts as in GT2.

Hmm i wonder if that has anything to do with the interchangeable parts glitch in GT1 (you know, when you buy 2 of the same car and change parts between them)>

Parnelli Bone
The cool thing about Dodge is that in the 90's they've been regularly trying to put their concepts into reality: there's the Viper, but there's also the Prowler, the PT Cruiser, probly a couple other's i'm forgetting. It's too bad they never tried to sell any Copperheads. Not that i could ever afford one...

Umm Prowler and PT Cruiser aren't Dodge. They were made by the Dodge design team, but since they aren't really sports cars, they're manufactured under Chrysler.

On a side note: Carroll Shelby helped design the original Vipers. The new SRTs were designed by Chrysler/Dodge SRT Team.

Parnelli Bone
Hmm i wonder if that has anything to do with the interchangeable parts glitch in GT1 (you know, when you buy 2 of the same car and change parts between them)>

Could be, but I thought you could swap parts between 2 of the same cars?

TMM
Could be, but I thought you could swap parts between 2 of the same cars?

That's what I'm saying. In GT1 you could swap parts but they got rid of this glitch in GT2. Maybe when they got rid of it, the lack of a glitch made it easier somehow to build hybrids in GT2. I'm just guessing.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
That's what i'm saying. In GT1 you could swap parts but they got rid of this glitch in GT2. Maybe when they got rid of it, the lack of a glitch made it easier somehow to build hybrids in gT2. I'm just guessing.

ohhh I see, sorry I didn't understand the point you were making. Could well be.

The GT1 "shareable parts" feature was not really related to the fact that hybridding was more difficult in GT1.

In the GT1 garage design there was a single map with elements to indicate whether you had purchased parts for a particular model of car. Now, each individual "garage entry" did have a separate indication of which parts you had fitted. When you went to change parts, the game would consult the appropriate entry for that model to see if you had the parts available.

Permanent mods, ie. weight-reduction, race-modification, and engine polish and balancing, needed to be recorded in the garage entry only.

The key difference with GT1 hybrids, as far as I can tell, is that the parts themselves had characteristics there were affected by the car they were being applied to. I think this is especially true in the case of the "base parts" (i.e. ones you don't buy, such as engines). Whereas in GT2 the effect of putting, say, a TVR Cerbera engine into a Mini, was predictable because the engine retained the same characteristics no matter what car the game found it in, in GT1 the "engine" part and its characteristics was less easily identifiable, and the characterics wouldn't necessarily be the same in another car. Essentially, it would appear, the developers for their own purposes in GT2 simplified the building-up of a car, to make modifications easy during development. A side-effect of that was that hybridding was a lot more predictable. A lot of good hybridding is done in GT2 by interchanging only the parts you usually can't change at all; base engines, drivetrain type, etc.

The "shareable parts" feature of GT1 does have a few strange glitches. It is nice that once you buy a part, it's there for all instances of that model of car, even if at some point you sell all those cars and buy some back later. But, when you buy a car via memory-card trade, a couple of things are wrong. First, you need to pay for all the fitted parts even though you might already have them available. But, even worse, the parts for cars purchased that way are not properly registered, and so if you had not previously purchased them, if you remove them, you can't fit them unless you purchase them again! So ideally you remove all removeable parts from a car before you buy it via memory-card trade, but that is difficult-to-do.

Back