• Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
hsv
b) Whincup would've seen Mostert's mirror out already. That is poor judgement on his behalf

Whincup spent just a few seconds behind Mostert and your expecting him to notice that Mostert is missing a mirror?

This is where the 3/4 car rule comes in handy.

Unless you're at the front tyre, forget about it. And that's something you learn from the grassroots of karting so for Whincup not to even acknowledge that, is pathetic in itself.

Whincup spent just a few seconds behind Mostert and your expecting him to notice that Mostert is missing a mirror?
From Turn 8 to Turn 11, quite a bit of time might I add, I'm pretty sure he'd at least see that there is something missing.

But it does entitle him to the inside line though.
No it doesn't. You are taught right from karting to acknowledge that a driver has the right to a corner, regardless of where you are on the track, if you aren't more than 3 quarters of the way up a car. Simple logic that someone who is 'a future hall-of-famer' (:rolleyes:) should know.

Reactions: hsv
This is where the 3/4 car rule comes in handy.

From Turn 8 to Turn 11, quite a bit of time might I add, I'm pretty sure he'd at least see that there is something missing.

But you don't make the rules though. The rules state when you pass the B-pillar you entitled to racing room. Which Whincup was past all the way up to and including the point of impact

Also Mostert was only ahead of Whincup after turn 9 when he tapped Whincup wide. And contact was at turn 10 not turn 11

Get your info right before you start arguing

But you don't make the rules though. The rules state when you pass the B-pillar you entitled to racing room. Which Whincup was past all the way up to and including the point of impact

Also Mostert was only ahead of Whincup after turn 9 when he tapped Whincup wide. And contact was at turn 10 not turn 11

Get your info right before you start arguing
"When you pass the B-Pillar you are entitled to racing room."

Key word- Entitled to racing room. You're entitled to racing room but not the position. Mostert gave him racing room. A fair bit of it. It is then up to the driver to execute that pass cleanly... Which he (Whincup) didn't.

All Whincup had to do if he thought that the contact at 9 was enough to hinder his progress, was back off and take it to the stewards room after the race.

But no. He insisted on passing into 10 and look what happened. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in this case it was inevitable that Whincup was going to hit Mostert, and someone of Whincup's calibre should know that.

Because the defending driver naturally holds road position. Hence, he gets to choose his line first since he is physically ahead on the road. In any pass, the burden of responsibility rests with the attacking driver until he has reached the point where the pass can be completed - which hadn't happened in this case.

Except that Whincup would have to brake harder to make the corner, negating whatever ground he had gained. Getting a nose alongside the B-pillar doesn't entitle you to a pass. It's half a pass.

Okay, so you're saying the burden is with Mostert? You just said it was with Whincup.. Im getting confused

Okay, so you're saying the burden is with Mostert? You just said it was with Whincup.. Im getting confused
No, I said it was with Whincup. I have always, said that it was with Whincup. He was the attacking driver. I'm not sure how you got the impression that I said the burden was with Mostert.

No, I said it was with Whincup. I have always, said that it was with Whincup. He was the attacking driver. I'm not sure how you got the impression that I said the burden was with Mostert.

Mostert was the attacking driver. He hadnt completed the pass yet, hence, like you said the 'defending driver naturally holds his position'.

Normally I'm very open minded and judge purely on the facts. I will admit when my favourite driver is in the wrong, will give props where it's due etc etc....This year I'm going to let my bias ruthlessly control my opinions, which leads me to this...Whingcup should've been penalised for his 🤬 driving standards, and the officials can go 🤬 themselves for the bull:censored: 20sec penalty given to Scotty for his jump start.
And while I'm at it teams like Red Bull and HRT should grow some balls and come up with a livery thats not just the same 🤬 year after year...it's just plain boring :mad:

Rant over

Mostert was the attacking driver. He hadnt completed the pass yet, hence, like you said the 'defending driver naturally holds his position'.
Mostert was not the attacking driver going into Turn 10, and even if he was, he was ahead of Whincup.

"When you pass the B-Pillar you are entitled to racing room."

Key word- Entitled to racing room. You're entitled to racing room but not the position. Mostert gave him racing room. A fair bit of it. It is then up to the driver to execute that pass cleanly... Which he (Whincup) didn't.

Your right that you don't have to concede position. But your definition of racing room seems very different to mine. Minimum racing room is a cars width from the inside (for an inside pass which this was.) Whincup was a far left as realistically possible and Mostert still cut him off. He gave no racing room. Mostert himself admits that. I don't know how you can come up with "a fair bit" of racing room.

Mostert was not the attacking driver going into Turn 10, and even if he was, he was ahead of Whincup.

Using your logic, and as quoted: "In any pass, the burden of responsibility rests with the attacking driver until he has reached the point where the pass can be completed". Mostert was the attacking driver and at no point was the pass complete. Mostert went down the inside of Whincup at 9, remained on the outside of him into 10. The pass was never complete, and as you said "the defending driver naturally holds road position".

So really your attack should be the other way round, it should be on Mostert and not Whincup, using your theory.

Using your logic, and as quoted: "In any pass, the burden of responsibility rests with the attacking driver until he has reached the point where the pass can be completed". Mostert was the attacking driver and at no point was the pass complete. Mostert went down the inside of Whincup at 9, remained on the outside of him into 10. The pass was never complete, and as you said "the defending driver naturally holds road position".

So really your attack should be the other way round, it should be on Mostert and not Whincup, using your theory.

Yet again I whole heartedly agree. 👍

Whincup is a Teflon who manages to get away almost everything he does. A lot of his passes are on the edge, and this is why he is a multiple champion, with an unbelievable record.....That said, he is responsible for the crash on that part of the track. There are some corners where drivers need to concede the position. Turn 10 is one of them. Mostert was far enough past for whincup to concede, given contact was made as close to wheel to wheel it would indicate he wasnt far enough up to hold the corner. Looking at Jamies interview after, his body language indicated (to me at least) that he knew he screwed up, and i bet in hindsight he would have conceded the spot.

888 seem to get away with a hell of a lot, hence the frustration a lot of fans feel for them.....Jamie always seems to get pit preference, gets the 50/50 calls and contact with other cars seems t always be a "racing incident" while others seemingly get pinged for the same

Mostert had done enough, because his car was clearly ahead, and he held the racing line into Turn 10. The onus was on Whincup to back off.

Whincup is a Teflon who manages to get away almost everything he does. A lot of his passes are on the edge, and this is why he is a multiple champion, with an unbelievable record.....That said, he is responsible for the crash on that part of the track. There are some corners where drivers need to concede the position. Turn 10 is one of them. Mostert was far enough past for whincup to concede, given contact was made as close to wheel to wheel it would indicate he wasnt far enough up to hold the corner. Looking at Jamies interview after, his body language indicated (to me at least) that he knew he screwed up, and i bet in hindsight he would have conceded the spot.

888 seem to get away with a hell of a lot, hence the frustration a lot of fans feel for them.....Jamie always seems to get pit preference, gets the 50/50 calls and contact with other cars seems t always be a "racing incident" while others seemingly get pinged for the same

It's kinda like the Jordan push off in the Finals. You ain't gonna get that call.

I think the B pillar rule is a load of $*i(.
The positions of the cars provokes an accident. Whincup's front wheel would be in almost a direct perpendicular to Mostert's rear wheel. A kink such as turn nine, exposes the back edge on the turning wheel from Whincup, this may as well be an open wheeler incident now.
Whincup has enough experience to see such a potentially devastating incident about to unravel.
They both choose to go into turn 9 as they did. Whincup being behind, has the duty of care. Mostert must give racing room. If both or one of them, fail to do so, then what else do they expect.
If you put your car into a dangerous position for you or a fellow driver, you must pay the price. No points.
Whincup should be denied points, he was part of an incident that denied points to another driver.

Last edited:
Well, Roger Penske loves the cars and the series. We can only hope the plans drawn out keep the basic chassis as they exist. Just adding body styles and engine configurations without disturbing wheelbase lengths.

The attitudes of the cars is what give them character. Lots of dive and squat. Lots of roll in the corners. The narrow tyres. Limited downforce enhancements.

As much as people argue how these cars are not their road-going versions. They resemble them more to an average viewer than something from DTM or BTCC and Super GT.

Warburton and crew, must get it right.

Now I'm really going to throw a cat among the pigeons....

Well, the fact murph made no attempt to turn into the kink only proves that was malicious intent more then anything,

That's pretty much two rivals with battle history. Had it been Whincup and Frosty or Scottie, then there'd be bloodshed amongst fans.

Oh my goodness, ya'll still arguing about the Whincup-Mostert racing incident?:lol: I think I'll let the officials who are paid to make the driving standards decisions and have multiple camera angles and telemetry to work decide it for me. Since they ruled it a racing incident, can we please move on and go back to raging about how we're not getting all rounds on free TV this year?

Is it possible to blame Roland Dane for that?

If yes, rage on.

If no, I suggest we continue the Whincup-Mostert debate

Just wondering, why has V8 Supercars not wanted tire barriers or tec pro barriers to be placed at turn 8 at Adelaide? Currently it's a solid concrete wall that killed a driver back in 2008 (Ashley Cooper?) and has resulted in numerous hard impact crashes including one that happened last weekend...

Since they ruled it a racing incident, can we please move on and go back to raging about how we're not getting all rounds on free TV this year?
What's funny about this is that before the season started, everyone was complaining about how the races would not be on free TV (is it actually free? Not sure how cable works down there) and now that the first race of the season has come and gone, there are a lot of positive comments about how the coverage was great, very few commercials, etc, etc.

Just wondering, why has V8 Supercars not wanted tire barriers or tec pro barriers to be placed at turn 8 at Adelaide? Currently it's a solid concrete wall that killed a driver back in 2008 (Ashley Cooper?) and has resulted in numerous hard impact crashes including one that happened last weekend...
That is a very good point and the solution lies in physics. A car travelling at speed through Adelaide's destructive turn 8, hitting a concrete barrier is going to keep travelling down the track until it comes to a halt. It will skid along skimming the wall as they do. If a tire barrier was installed instead, chances are the car will crash into the tire wall and exert all of its force into the tire barrier to which the tire barrier will spring back, which will repel the car back onto the track (Like a pool/snooker ball off the cushion) likely back onto the racing line. I know which I'd prefer. Good question though ukfan758

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back