Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I was just reading an article from 2008 about the 'next-gen' (now the current cars) and it stated back then "The New Generation V8 Supercar regulations are intended to reduce the cost of building a car (without engine) from around $450,000 to $250,000,with the cost of an engine coming down from around $120,000 to $50,000. These targets are not expected to be met until after the initial development phase has transitioned to replicated manufacture."

So all up approx $300,000 to build a car down from approx $570,000. I wonder if this target was ever met? And I hope we dont go down the path of F1 with the new Gen 2 cars coming. The aim of Gen 1 was to reduce costs but in a short time we are moving on to new rules which just means more development costs. What do you guys think of Gen 2?? Are you looking forward to it or no?

And I hope we dont go down the path of F1 with the new Gen 2 cars coming.
Me either. The Mercedes dominance in F1 is really quite boring. I haven't watched an F1 race in 2 years. Same reason I stopped watching WRC when Loeb was the man to beat every weekend. When one person/team dominates everything.....ho hum.

and also wanted to say that F1 if you're ignoring F1 because of the Mercedes dominance, you're missing out on plenty of great racing!

Meh, great racing aside (And there was some good racing, particularly a couple of Verstappen's late braking moves and Button's dual with Maldonado late in the race) The Chinese GP was pretty boring overall. Think people's lack of interest in it comes from the races being pretty predicable. V8's have suffered from the same thing with Whincup's and Triple 8's dominance over the past 7-8 years.

Meh, great racing aside (And there was some good racing, particularly a couple of Verstappen's late braking moves and Button's dual with Maldonado late in the race) The Chinese GP was pretty boring overall. Think people's lack of interest in it comes from the races being pretty predicable. V8's have suffered from the same thing with Whincup's and Triple 8's dominance over the past 7-8 years.

Agreed, I really only watch the proper endurance races now, only keep tabs on the series as you know who's got the title before round 5,

And F1 has been boring since 2008,

New chassis for McLaughlin for Perth.
Volvo Polestar Racing owner Garry Rogers has confirmed that Scott McLaughlin will debut the team’s new chassis at Barbagallo Raceway next month.

The car, codenamed GRM 018, underwent a trouble free shakedown at Winton on Monday with the 21-year-old at the wheel.
“We were open-minded about when it would debut but the shakedown went well so we’ve decided to run it at Barbagallo,” Rogers told Speedcafe.com.

“There’s not a lot on it that’s different (to the previous car) because of how restrictive the rules are but there’s a little bit, mainly for driver comfort.

“We did some work on our package over Christmas and made some gains there, so this is just an extension of what we’ve currently got.

“Drivers have a thing about new cars anyway. They (the drivers) are all the same. If it’s new, it’s better.”

Apparently according to motorsport.com tire pressure sensors are going to be mandatory from Perth onwards,

One thing I'll say about Fox, is the Inside V8SC show. It sirevdid givevinsight to how racers feel about the amount of races that should be run for the season and how the season should be compacted.
Listenening to Walsh speak on his V8 drive and how he carries himselfz gave me some respect for him. I still don't like David Wall. No matter what awesome cars he has at Wall Racing. :sly:

I think this series really is the best touring car class that is purely driver skill focused. As we get closer to what the regulations will be, I will keep feeling only the silhouettes should change. Not the chassis.

Such fun and cool livreries back then. It's what PENSKE is bringing to the series.
Owen-QLD-200611.jpg

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/what-s-in-a-number-the-number-55

Seton-Bath-831.jpg

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/what-s-in-a-number-the-number-55

Makes me wonder what GRM/Volvo/Polestar did to achieve their success with their package quicker than Nissan and Erebus. True, GRM & SBR were around longer than Kelly Racing, but as you mentioned, no reason why Erebus shouldnt have been up the front. They're improving but i hope faster.

GRM had customer T8 Holdens in the first year, they were able to replicate/ improve the package from there, I think Datsun and Merc had a little harder time as they were limited to 3/4 cars and within the teams only,

How cool is the V8SC classics on Fox. Probably the races are on YouTube. 1997 season at Calder Park is awesome. V8s should go back to that circuit.

Makes me wonder what GRM/Volvo/Polestar did to achieve their success with their package quicker than Nissan and Erebus. True, GRM & SBR were around longer than Kelly Racing, but as you mentioned, no reason why Erebus shouldnt have been up the front. They're improving but i hope faster.
Having a Surpiror Alluminium Block Yamaha engine helps, Nissan basically has had to work with a Modified Titan engine designed for towing the engine is pretty bad tbh and even now is still behind everyone else.

And Erebus isn't a Factory effort, its a Customer AMG team so Development is not going to be at the level as other Full Works outfits.

It's a shame because Erebus has the ability to a Top team but they should be in a Holden if they can't get works backing.

If only there was a way to resurface it ...

It probably won't happen, anyway. Construction has started at Tailem Bend, and there's a proposal for a circuit near Toowoomba. And I wouldn't be surprised if there is a second round in New Zealand at some point, probably Highlands. Plus, there will probably be an attempt to return to America - possibly as a double-header between Austin and somewhere like Sonoma, NOLA or even Mexico City - and to get a championship round at Albert Park.

The only way this can happen is if existing rounds are removed (I doubt anyone would miss Queensland Raceway, Homebush or Winton too much) and/or the number of races is decreased while the number of rounds increases.

It's a formula that Generation II should follow: two races of 250km at each round, except for the enduros.

Taupo is rubbish. It was great before the redesign because it was so unique in its size (or lack thereof), and the current layout is just meh.

Hampton or Highlands > Taupo, but obviously Ruapuna > everything else :P

Macau has been suggested since the WTCC pulled the pin. Not sure if it will happen, though - some of the WTCC drivers were having trouble getting around the hairpin, so I don't know how the V8s would go.

I think Buddh would be a good choice, but it would need a reconfiguration to lose the long straights and run on the back half. Link the last corner to Turn 4, build a pit facility on the straight between Turn 4 and Turn 5, and run it in reverse.

V8s should return to Asia. Japan? India? China? I'm not sure. Malaysia is a good circuit too. Buddh is not bad. Don't know what else could be run with V8s if it went there. I wonder if V8s could be run on a Super GT weekend.

I personally think that we should drop the two most boring rounds, Winton and Queensland Raceway in favour of two extra New Zealand events. Hampton Downs and Highlands come to mind. If Tony Quinn buys Hampton Downs, I think we may just see V8's there.

I'm also in favour of exploring the Asian market a bit more thoroughly, with a race in China and possibly Japan. I also wouldn't mind having a round or two in America.

However, with the current calendar, I think we should make the calendar a lot more compact. Less breaks in between races and a month's longer Post/Pre-Season should also come as a result.

Bookend Clipsal and Bathurst. Move Clipsal to a week before the AGP, Albert Park(if V8SC want to continue supporting F1), Taz, Perth, Asia, Monaco(wishful thinking) :sly: , USA, Pukekohe, Highland, SMP, Townsville, Surfers, Sandown, PI, Bathurst. That's my suggestion for a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back