Version Of GT2

• Thread starter CARLOVER96
  • 63 comments

What Version Of GT2 Do You Have?

• Total voters
Back in the Philippines, I used to own the JDM version (of course its pirated), then when the US-spec showed up [1.0] I bought it in an instant (same thing its also pirated).

But when I landed in the US (along with my JDM-spec Memory card), after I bought the PSOne, I also bought the the 1.2 together, 2 1/2 months before PS2 invaded the US.

from pupik's website:

There is PAL for Europe, the Japanese version, but three North American flavors:

(Version 1.0) Car Wash says 5000 Cr, Muscle Car Cup licenses are incorrect, #6 Mark Martin's Taurus SHO as racing modification, 98.2% complete maximum.

(Version 1.1) Car Wash says 50 Cr, Muscle Car Cup licenses are incorrect, #6 Mark Martin's Taurus SHO is gone, 98.2% complete maximum.

(Version 1.2) Car Wash says 50 Cr, Muscle Car Cup licenses fixed, #6 Mark Martin's Taurus SHO is gone, 100% complete maximum.

I 've got #6 Mark Martin's Taurus SHO as racing modification , car Wash says 50 Cr ,Muscle Car Cup licenses fixed ,98.2% complete maximum. Weird?

Cosmic
I 've got #6 Mark Martin's Taurus SHO as racing modification , car Wash says 50 Cr ,Muscle Car Cup licenses fixed ,98.2% complete maximum. Weird?
Maybe you have Version 1.05 :) I'm not 100% sure my site tells you what's right or wrong with each version, this is what I've compiled over the years.

I have reports that the "Mark Martin" SHO defines 1.0 from any other version. This is quite certain. The percentage completion error is only fixed in the final release, Version 1.2.

I'm not entirely sure what was fixed in 1.1, in that case. Maybe the car wash thing wasn't corrected until the final version, I could be wrong.

One way to tell is to pop the disk in your computer's CD-ROM drive, and look it up at the DOS prompt for the dates of each file. The oldest NTSC ones list the date at October/November, as I recall. I read somewhere that January and March are the dates for the other two versions.

I have three different North American versions, plus a Greatest Hits (which is also 1.2). Glad to see the poll accepted more than one selection. :D

I can try to check Mark Martin Taurus in my 1.1. Sometime.

Remember, the Mark Martin modification remained around if you used your Arcade disk. (Two versions of that, I believe).

http://granturismoforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=25336

Actually, in that thread I (GT2toXS) claim that 1.1 does have the generic race-mod. (I.e. Mark Martin has gone). One would be unsure what GameShark addresses to use for the version Cosmic has. With a GameShark Pro, certain features could be searched for in memory to see if it fits one of the three "known" versions. My description of 1.1 is completely different from pupik's...

Rumours of a different 1.3, I believe, all ended up being the result of problems with bad GameSharks and/or memory cards.

At http://granturismoforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=25336 I (as GT2toXS) said...

Muscle Car Licenses wrong, and Cr5,000 Car Wash -> version 1.0 (garage offset 0)
Muscle Car Licenses fixed, and Cr5,000 Car Wash -> version 1.1 (garage offset hex 370)
Muscle Car Licenses fixed, and Cr50 Car Wash -> version 1.2 (garage offset hex 5A0)

Which is different from what pupik says...

Secondary features are 98.2% completion in all except 1.2.
Generic (no Mark Martin) Ford Taurus race-mod in all except 1.0.

And how could I forget--both 1.0 and 1.1 had the "garage delete" bug.

Perhaps there were several flavours between 1.0 and 1.2...

I just borrowed GT2 from my brother and im going to start playing it. Not sure which version I have but I will check later. I am excited to play this. I didnt really know about the GT series until GT3 came out so I never had a chance to play GT2 very much. I played the arcade with my friend but never played the sim yet. I heard there are over 500 cars so im pretty excited! 👍 :dopey:

CAMAROBOY69
I just borrowed GT2 from my brother and im going to start playing it. Not sure which version I have but I will check later. I am excited to play this. I didnt really know about the GT series until GT3 came out so I never had a chance to play GT2 very much. I played the arcade with my friend but never played the sim yet. I heard there are over 500 cars so im pretty excited! 👍 :dopey:

GT2 is a lot of fun, man. I been exploring it since March and I'm still obsessed.

I started last night and played for about an hour and a half. Just enough time to get the B license unlocked, buy a used Skyline for around 8k, then win 3 races. So far the only upgrade I installed on the Skyline is exhaust and chip. The controls and game feel are a lot different than GT3 so its taking a little effort to get used to. Too bad I cant set the analog stick for the gas and brake like in GT3. Still having fun though and I have only just begun. 👍

Um. Sorry. Reading all of the thread, though, someone gives a wonderful description which is actually for GT3. :( The actual link I now give is correct, but very terse and not totally complete.

From memory, for GT1 and 2...

Use up/down arrors to move cursor down to gas or brake, then hit "right arrow" a few times and it will cycle through the standard digital (buttons) setting and various permutations of analog sticks.

SportWagon
Um. Sorry. Reading all of the thread, though, the wonderful description is actually for GT3. :(

If I find a better thread I'll change the link, but from memory, for GT1 and 2...

move cursor down to gas or brake, then hit "right arrow" a few times and it will cycle through the standard digital (buttons) setting and various permutations of analog sticks.

Yeah, analog makes a huge difference. I spent months using X for acceleration and [] for brakes! Now I only use analog.

Parnelli Bone
Yeah, analog makes a huge difference. I spent months using X for acceleration and [] for brakes! Now I only use analog.
I have 2 copies of the PAL disk, 1 bought 2nd hand for the PS2 and 1 copies for my chipped PS. This allows me to race on my PS2 and leave the PS free for hybrid development.

Does this mean I can vote again? :confused:

I tried to set the right analog stick to change up and down gears for GT but it doesn't allow that, however I'm sure the accelerator and brakes were option.

I set the analog controls last night in GT2 and wow that is sooo much better. Almost gives a feel comparison to GT3. Thank you again sportwagon. 👍 👍
I played for about 2 hours and now I have 5 cars. The strange thing I noticed is when you win first place IN THE RACES you get a silver trophy instead of gold. I did notice you get gold in the license tests. Cant wait to start unlocking more cars tonight!!

CAMAROBOY69
I set the analog controls last night in GT2 and wow that is sooo much better. Almost gives a feel comparison to GT3. Thank you again sportwagon. 👍 👍
I played for about 2 hours and now I have 5 cars. The strange thing I noticed is when you win first place IN THE RACES you get a silver trophy instead of gold. I did notice you get gold in the license tests. Cant wait to start unlocking more cars tonight!!

Yeah, the silver trophy thing is yet another sign that indicates the game was rushed into production. If Polyphony Digital wanted to make some serious bux, they could release yet another version of GT2, with all the bugs and inconsistencies fixed. Id buy it!

What an excellent game!!! I played for 4 more hours tonight and now im %15 thru the game with 12 cars. I am shocked how fun this game is!!! 👍
I am still not sure which version I have.
My favorite part of GT2 is the horsepower setup. If a race requires 394 and your car has 500 you can just turn off whatever you need to so you can enter the race. It goes the other way too.. If you enter a race with 100hp and you need 300 you can just turn on the turbo stage 2 or 3 or whatever you need to get into the race. That really makes it a lot of fun!! 👍 👍
PS. Still having a hard time beating the Ford GT in the "special events" - "historic car cup" race. I am soooo close but not close enough yet. :dopey:

Now something strange just happened! I tried to beat that Ford GT about 5 times in a row. On the 6th time I bought super soft tires and installed them before the race. Now when I entered the race the Ford GT wasnt there. What the?? :confused: :confused:
The good news is that I won that time by 4 seconds. hmm :boggled:

CAMAROBOY69
Now something strange just happened! I tried to beat that Ford GT about 5 times in a row. On the 6th time I bought super soft tires and installed them before the race. Now when I entered the race the Ford GT wasnt there. What the?? :confused: :confused:
The good news is that I won that time by 4 seconds. hmm :boggled:

That particular race is probably the hardest one in the game. The GT40 has 310 tested horsepower, which is 14 or 15 hp more than the race maximum requirement, but if you go and actually buy a GT40, you won't be able to race it because the game will tell you you're overqualified! It makes no sense.

You'll notice that all the races are somewhat random: sometimes you'll see the GT40 in that race, and sometimes it won't be there. I actually beat the GT40 in the Historic race with a '93 Toyota Supra Turbo, and I did it by strategically blocking the GT40 from passing me on the straights! Believe me, there is no other way.

Last edited:
On my 5th race we were side by side and on the last turn he pushed me to the wall. The race was one of the best I had in history it was sooooo close I was even going to save the replay until he pushed me to the wall!! Then I just hit the reset button on the PS2 :lol: Oh well at least its done but I really wanted to beat him with the new tires I had bought. :dopey:

CAMAROBOY69
On my 5th race we were side by side and on the last turn he pushed me to the wall. The race was one of the best I had in history it was sooooo close I was even going to save the replay until he pushed me to the wall!! Then I just hit the reset button on the PS2 :lol: Oh well at least its done but I really wanted to beat him with the new tires I had bought. :dopey:

What car are you using in that race?

Back