VGTA Handicap Championship. Mondays, 8:00pm GMT, from 10th Jan 2022.PS4 

• Thread starter Zolon32
  • 364 comments
I simply can't figure out which dlc the Jag is in. As far as i can tell I've got all the dlc except the Japanese pack. And season pass. I'm most likely just blind... any ideas?

any ideas?
It's in the motorsports pack that you got free if you bought the season pass or the deluxe edition. Maybe you bought them separately?
Project-CARS-2-DLC-Chart.jpg

Xeronima maybe you bought but didn't install it, I remember raeggee had the same issue with the Panoz at the beginning of the GT Won championship. Bought but not installed.

Well Mr @Zolon32 you said "It's difficult to know the lap times of other drivers". Or something like that anyway. Staying indoors to avoid Storm Barra resulted in me doing this below. Of course other drivers will no doubt have slightly different results but it might give you something to work with.

Sugo (fast and slow sections, accents and descents) 1/7 @ 12:00
Tyre wear and fuel use off. For some conformity all cars in stable and using bonnet view. Realistic aids only (a couple had ABS). Around 3 to 4 laps in each. Times rounded up/down slightly.

VGT A
Nissan 1:34.5 (I think I could have got a bit more out of this. It was an early attempt)
Porsche 1:31.5 (nice to drive)
Ferrari 1:32.0 (bit of a boat, still quite quick though)
Jag 1:31.0 (fast but it doesn't like stopping, or turning. Gearing is a bit odd)
Mustang 1:31.0 (on stable - very nice. You hardly need to change gear!)

VGT B
BMW 2002 1:34.25 (always good)
Merc 300 SEL 1:33.24 (surprisingly quick and quite agile)

Similar cars with similar times that might be worth considering

Group A
Merc 190E 1:32.0 (good to drive)
BMW M3 1:32.0 (also good to drive - we used this earlier this year)
Audi V8 1:30 (fast car, quite nice to drive)
Sierra Cosworth 1:32ish (fun but a bit of a handful)
Skyline R32 1:29.3 (lovely car - but not everyone has it)

Group 5
Porsche 924 1:28.0 (good to drive and worth considering. On soft slicks though)

Touring cars
BMW 320 TC 1:30 (another nice drive)

The more modern cars tend to be better planted than the older ones. Might be more suitable than the Jag etc?

I was only planning on doing the VGT cars but my autistic nature took over and I just kept on going! ☺

You're welcome. 😉

Last edited:
Sierra Cosworth 1:32ish (fun but a bit of a handful)
That thing is crazy, just a giant turbo with a few other bits strapped to it.

Sounds like the Porsche 924 might be a good bet for the faster car, or maybe 6 seconds per lap (to the Nissan) is excessive? Good point about the more modern cars being more planted, perhaps helps even out the grid by them being easier to drive consistently. Although it starts to drift away from VGTA to a random track day mismash (not necessarily a bad thing)

I got the impression Zolons computer might be from the VGTA era so might not be updated with these modern cars 😀

My two cents:

I'd keep it simple and VGTA-only. I accept the Nissan to be clearly slower than the Porsche (even if easier to drive) so definitely it works fine as the "handicap" car. Without Paul's scientific approach I can say that I find the Porsche and the Ferrari to be evenly matched (might depend on tracks) with the Porsche being more agile, and the Ferrari more powerful/fast. Then we have the Mustang, faster than all mentioned already but you really need to use it with "Stable" (I finished dead last, with many spins, a race with "Loose" only to immediately win the next race by a sizeable margin ... on "Stable"). Never drove the Jaguar, apparently it is the faster car in fast tracks where its top speed can rule, not so much in more convoluted layouts. I'm told it is driveable on "Stable" too, but not as tame as the Mustang becomes.

Soooo ...

I'd put everyone, by default, in the Porsche and Ferrari (freedom of choice between these two cars).

I'd handicap the top guys (in whatever system Zolon finds adequate to do this handicapping) making it mandatory for them to use the Nissan.

The midfield guys would remain with Porsche/Ferrari as long as they keep in the midfield

The ones that in each week come in the last 3rd or so of the classification are the only ones allowed to use the week after whatever car they want (they are the only ones that can use the Jaguar or any of the americans, but also, if they don't like these for whatever reason, their freedom means they can use ANY car, even the Nissan, it's their choice)

In any case, whatever Zolon decides is fine, I think this "long races" event will be fun! :cheers:

Last edited:
I think Zolon has decided that he's going for his original idea and is going to tweak it if needed as the series progresses. I'm sure we can all make it work, so all's good. 👍

I think this "long races" event will be fun!
I usually loose concentration after 20 mins so I might need extra coffee before the race. However that doesn't discourage feline interruptions! ☺

I got the impression Zolons computer might be from the VGTA era
Yes I believe it does have glowing valves inside. Or maybe that's Zolon.

My afternoon's car testing had got me thinking of 'What's Next'. There's been a bit more since and, If I can sort it out, expect further handicapping events in 2022. Plus... other stuff. 😉
(Also I now really like Sugo)

Yesterday I had the pleasure of introducing the road tracks to raegee. We did California in the vgta american cars and the Cote d'Azur in Old Ferrari 250 SWB. No ice or snow (needed old rally cars like the Alpine or the Fulvia for that). I think raeggee just learned a litle bit more about how vast this game is

I think Zolon has decided that he's going for his original idea and is going to tweak it if needed as the series progresses. I'm sure we can all make it work, so all's good. 👍

My afternoon's car testing had got me thinking of 'What's Next'. There's been a bit more since and, If I can sort it out, expect further handicapping events in 2022. Plus... other stuff. 😉
(Also I now really like Sugo)
Sounds good @Zolon32 , you two give us a lot to look forward to, it's much appreciated!

As for what's next, I think you previously mentioned something teams focused, that would be good 🙂

you've got Sakitto International on your track list. That's the reverse layout with the downhill drop on it that sometimes causes problems (fun though). Just checking that's the one you mean.
Good spot Paul. I freakin love Sak Int, but I love Sak GP too, and it doesn't have that excessively tricky bit. Sak GP it is then!

And, on to what I hope is the final format...

Race 1, (The twenty minute one) ten minutes of qualifying, rolling start. For this race there will be no tyre degradation.

Race 2, (The fifty minute one) random grid, rolling start. For this race, tyre degradation shall be set to accelerated and fuel will be burnt. Pit stops are at the driver's discretion. The laps will be set to give a race time of approximately fifty minutes. (see, I told you!)

(Please note the deletion of the complex starting procedure previously planned)

WEATHER.

There will be NO rain during this series, since these cars are a bit lively in the wet. However, the weather shall alter, and I am considering strategies aimed at bringing about a variation in grip levels. A full, accurate weather forecast will be posted before each meeting.

THE HANDICAP SYSTEM.

There are five models of car involved.

1/ Nissan 240Z.

2/ Porsche 911.

3/ Ferrari 365.

4/ Mustang.

5/ E-Type.

For the very first race everyone will be in the Porsche. At that meeting, for the second race, those effected by the handicap will change cars. The drivers who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd will take the Nissan. The driver who came last will be allocated the E-Type, second last, the Mustang, and the two drivers ahead of them (third and fourth last) will get the mental waterbed that is the Ferrari 365 allocated to them.

For the subsequent meetings each driver will have a car allocated to him/her for that particular meeting, the allocation stays the same for both races.

The means by which that car is allocated is... the handicap system. Each driver's average finishing position in all the races they have competed in in the series will be counted.

The three who have the best average results will have the Nissan. Everyone else has a choice. The number of cars you can choose from will be dictated by your handicap. The one who has the lowest average finishing position can choose cars 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. The next up, with the second lowest average finishing position can choose from cars 1, 2, 3, or 4. Those with the third and fourth lowest averages can have cars 1, 2, or 3. The three clever clogs who have the highest average results will have no choice but to use the Nissan, whilst everyone else can have either the Nissan, or car No2 (the Porsche).

These allocations will take account of everyone who is actively involved in the competition; the full compliment of handicap cars might not take part each race. Therefore, if (for instance) someone who is allocated the Nissan doesn't turn up, that does not mean that another driver has to step up and take that car.

Car allocations can, and will, change from meeting to meeting of course, dictated by average race results.

So, on to the circuits...

Week 1/ Silverstone GP.

Week 2/ Sakitto GP.

Week 3/ Spa Francorchamps.

Week 4/ Dubai Autodrome GP.

Week 5/ Fuji.

Week 6/ Autodrome International Do Algarve.

Week 7/ Bannachbrae.

Week 8/ Brno.

By the way folks, ABS and TC are available as you please, and any view point is fine by me. Just enjoy the racing.

Realism is an important point, therefore I would like everyone to pay me £12,000, per meeting, in return for which I will provide transport to the venue, evening meal, and live music at the after race bash.

Additionally, in order to encourage everyone to drive their cars as if they really are having to pay for the dents, performance effecting damage will be activated. So, as they say at the beginning of all the best TV shows, let's be careful out there...

In order to minimise the number of innocent victims regarding this, ghosting will be allowed. By my reckoning this should prevent Rich from getting his car smashed up in someone else's accident approximately fifteen times across the series :)

Finally, penalties, yes, penalties will be on. You offenders must be made to pay! None of this liberal namby-pamby behaviour, the guilty must face up to their wrong doings and have done to them what their doings dictate.

AND FINALLY (SORT OF)

Can you fine persons who are going to commit to this competition please make such a commitment expressly, as opposed to me assuming people are to take part, just because they have shown an interest.

Thanks folks, this will give me a better idea as to how many people will be involved. Of course, all those who have contributed already to this thread have a place reserved by right.

Cheers, Zo

Last edited:
I should be committed, or so I'm told. :crazy:

I'm only paying £9.60 (£1.2 per meeting). I'll come on my bicycle, bring some sandwiches and listen to Rich and Oldbass play their guitars.

Not everyone uses GTP, some only read, so you might not get a full response Zo. I'm sure they will still turn up though. I might make a new message on the PS4 that has all the regulars for you, everyone should see and hopefully respond to that.

As for what's next, I think you previously mentioned something teams focused,
Oh yeah there's that as well! Plans are what I think is called, fluid at the moment. :)

I express my commitment to this competition.
I don't have that kind of money, sorry. As I live in Finland 🇫🇮 I can't come to meetings in person so I don't need transport ✈️
If it's ok I'll be on the meetings by remotely on network 🖥️

In the spirit of ever trying for a better racing experience chaps I have one last tweak to the regulations for the VGTA championship. I am introducing a mandatory pit stop for the long race. The tyres do wear out a bit, but not enough to force a stop. However, since you're going to be there anyway... maybe some will put new rubber on, maybe some won't.

There will, of course, be those who find themselves in need of a pit stop anyway, to sort out performance effecting damage. I say it again, LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Additionally, in order to encourage everyone to drive their cars as if they really are having to pay for the dents, performance effecting damage will be activated. So, as they say at the beginning of all the best TV shows, let's be careful out there...

In order to minimise the number of innocent victims regarding this, ghosting will be allowed. By my reckoning this should prevent Rich from getting his car smashed up in someone else's accident approximately fifteen times across the series :)

Finally, penalties, yes, penalties will be on. You offenders must be made to pay! None of this liberal namby-pamby behaviour, the guilty must face up to their wrong doings and have done to them what their doings dictate.
Yay to damage, fuel, tyres, pit stops and penalties! It will all require us to be more careful and therefore make for more realistic racing !👍

As for the entry fee, I am in the same situation that Jammy explained. We poor continentals don't know what that £ thingy means and we certainly don't have that kind of money :P

Rich you already have a star role in Zolon's VGTA production, although being an old bloke I'm not sure I can keep up with all these new letters' meanings. As an example I'm not sure what the V and the A mean, so you better be careful ... out there! :D

To end, I confirm my entry. Would like to know the date of the first event (Silverstone), considering the presumed dates of the next three WTD (Dec 20th, Dec 27th and Jan 3rd, if Paul isn't doing a christmas or new years break) I guess it'll be Jan 10th. Is it?

PS - Oh and since raeggee doesn't visit gtplanet I will ask him and post here for him if indeed he wishes to take part (I suppose it's a yes but will have to ask)

EDIT - Talked to raeggee, he is VERY interested in this event so please count him as committed

Last edited:
Folks, I have determined that Sonoma Raceway, although it's a circuit I love, has let me down. It's a pretty poor discriminator in respect of our handicap system, simply not giving the more powerful cars much chance to get their brutal motors fully into play. It has therefore, been replaced by none other than Dubai Autodrome GP. Women may not be allowed to race there, probably not even permitted to enter it, or mention its name, but it cannot be denied that it's a splendid piece of blacktop to hurl a car around. And the big boys can certainly get into their stride at a number of points around the track.

In other news, the numbers of laps to be completed at each circuit has now been added to the OP.

Further testing will take place, to ensure that none-handicap-friendly tracks are swapped out. However, I can say that Silverstone, Sakkito and Spa are all safe as houses. (As are Algarve and Bannach-I-can'ni-spell-it, I am quite certain.)

Cheers, Zo.

Further testing will take place, to ensure that none-handicap-friendly tracks are swapped out.
The only other one that might be slightly suspect is Oulton. It's got a few quick sections but nothing really where the fast cars can fully shine. Now Fuji or Monza, maybe even Brno... ;)

slightly suspect is Oulton
Yeah, Oulton is in my crosshairs, it's got the slowest average speed of the original eight tracks. Did a bit of testing around Willow today, and couldn't separate the fast cars by any meaningful margin, but I do expect the Porsche and Nissan to fall into place. Tyre wear there is going to be very interesting.

Fuji is in the list of substitutions, and a track I'm well familiar with, but Donnington and Snetterton would have to be tested before I could make that decision. I remember that I didn't like Snetterton on the old BTC game, but my cousin, who did a lot of real life racing, (including a Super Saloons win at Spa :cheers:) reckoned that it was one of his favourites. Time I revisited it, I think.

And finally, Monza? GET OUT! :)

Hello chaps, just a little note to let you know that the final list of tracks to be used for the VGTA Handicap Championship has been finally finalised. And that's final.

Out are Willow Springs, a circuit I quite like, and Oulton Park, a circuit I find impossible to get any sort of rhythm at, and in their places come Fuji and... Brno. Now, I thought I had raced at Brno before, but it turns out I hadn't, and what a fabulous drive through the countryside it is. Man I love it! Not saying that I'll be quick there, but getting in lots of practice will be a joy.

And on that note, if anyone is up for a practice run at the long race at Brno, which will be the final race of the series, I quite fancy testing it out on Wednesday evening, or afternoon if enough people are interested and available. If we're to do it, I'll apply the results of the GT Won series to our handicapping system, so we can have the full list of cars involved. Just a thought...

Love Brno, one of my favourites, wide and flowing. Just the job for online races.

I might well be around on Wednesday. Probably the evening although possibly the afternoon as well - unless something turns up.

Zolon, you did Brno already, it was the first leg of the GT Won Championship.
It's his age. Nurse, increase the medication.
Now remember Zo the game's called Project Cars 2. Write it down. ;)

Zolon, you did Brno already, it was the first leg of the GT Won Championship.
:dunce:

I can't help it! The weather must have been completely different :), or it was the magnetic field fluctuation, or an alternative universe, or something...

Anyway, I've got a pass from the Mrs to give it a spin at 8:00pm GMT tomorrow (Wednesday). Since there are only three of us showing interest at the moment it's a no-go I think as it stands. However, may I venture that if we get another two wanting to take part we can do it, putting perhaps 15 AI drivers (set to 90 and 90) into the mix. At those settings I get a good race from the Mustangs and Ferraris, whilst the E-Types just breeze past and disappear into the distance. The Porsche's are hit and miss, and the Nissans struggle (that's with me in a Nissan, by the way [not saying that I ever will be in the series, mind]).

@jammy21 @richroo @Saltyjoe90 @xeronima @Napalm_LT @Oldbass47 @Pantheons @half_sourly @John Wells @Maxmusmonster @Don Mejillone any of you chaps up for it? Plus raeggee, who's ID I can't find here?

Lol Zolon, 3 humans plus 15 AI drivers is more than the game can handle online I think! :D

About raeggee he isn't a member of gtplanet but I just called him and he confirms availability for tomorrow 8 PM so count him in.

Also ... 90 aggression :ill::ill::ill::ill:???

You want them to crash into each other I see :sly: , but beware, they can wreck us more easily than we can wreck them!:scared::irked::yuck:

Back