Viability of older race cars from GT6 in GT Sport (Honda NSX LM Race Car)

Skygrasper550

Back and forth between gaming and Gunpla
Premium
Philippines
Philippines
skygrasper_550--
I honestly hope there would be more of these in the future, as I'm currently having a lot of fun with the BMW M3 GT, seeing how it's a non-GT3 race car included in Gr.3 and could hold its own against proper GT3 cars in said class. That made me peruse through the ginormous car catalogue from GT6 to see what PD could bring back in order to add more variety to the class (I think I mentioned in a separate thread that the Ford GT LM was in Gr.2, I checked, it's in Gr.3, my bad), and the list of potential candidates was so huge I had to narrow it down a lot to around 6 or 7 cars. Here is what I'm looking forward to:

1. Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z06 LM
car_1055_46737_555f303715d9f.jpg

Yes, it's a fictional race car. Yes, you could argue that we already have the Corvette C7 Gr.3 which is also fictional (in extension you could also argue that these fictional Gr.3 cars are the successors to the LM cars in past GT games, then again we have the Ford GT LM Spec II so why not), but I think it wouldn't hurt to pay respect to one of the cars that played a significant part in the Quick Match events back in GT6, the progenitor of Sport Mode. It was there in the beginning, and I think it would be amazing if it could witness the end result of what it has helped build.

2. Lister Storm V12 Race Car
car_172_46737_555f6c2d1aebc.jpg

Ahhh yes, the Storm. I think it's safe to say that this car is well-known amongst Gran Turismo 2 veterans. The attention-grabbing yellow and green livery coupled with the massive and boxy silhouette makes for an imposing racing machine. Sadly, from what I noticed, its popularity has dwindled with each successive entry in the GT franchise, constantly getting buried underneath the slew of new cars they come along with, racing or not. Bringing this car back in GT Sport would give the car a new lease of life, and would certainly hit Gran Turismo 2 veterans right in their nostalgia glands.

3. Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 OR Lamborghini Diablo GT2
car_163_46737_555f63953006c.jpg

car_156_46737_555f627853672.jpg

A toss-up between two racing Diablos. I won't blame you if you lean (heavily) towards the GT-1 because it's had a long history with the franchise, plus it's quite a competitive car in its PP range, unlike the GT2 which tries its absolute damndest to live up to its namesake and kill you. But hey, with GT Sport's new tire model I think the GT2 has a fair shot in the Gr.3 class. Plus it's a Premium car back in GT6, and from what I can tell it looks better than the GT-1.

4. Ford AU Falcon XR8
car_343_46737_555f41ec6ab9a.jpg

In the event that we don't get a proper roster of Australian V8 Supercars in the franchise again (for the 3rd 🤬 time :grumpy:), I would LOVE to see the Falcon XR8 be thrown into the Gr.3 mix, should it ever return. Like the Lister Storm, it too was buried underneath the slew of new cars with each successive entry in the franchise, and it too could use a new lease of life.

5. Jaguar XJ220 LM OR Pagani Zonda LM
car_148_46737_555f5e841c7f6.jpg

car_244_46737_55609ada4ea5f.jpg

Another toss-up. YES, I KNOW. There is A TONNNNN of LM race cars in the GT6 roster that could also fit perfectly in Gr.3 (like the C6 Z06), but out of all the older LM race cars available, the XJ220 has the closest specs in terms of power and weight. Nearly 1200 kgs, and above 500 horsepower. Sure it has a 5-speed gearbox but that won't be a problem since it's fictional, PD could simply toss in another forward gear to bring it up to par with the GT3 cars. As for the Zonda, you would think that its specs are a bit too much for Gr.3, but then again, so is the Ford GT LM Spec II and moreso the Viper GT3-R. A little BoP should take care of the performance gap.

5. Audi R8 LMS Ultra
car_59_46737_555f1039e3147.jpg

Am I the only one who prefers the older R8 than the current one? Anyone? No? Okay.

Err...how is the M3 GT not a GT3 car? Just seeking clarification, because they keep changing the name of the classes. From what I gather, GT3 is now called GTE. I always thought the M3 was built for GT2 ALMS or GT3 class.

It's more that cars from the past are now being shoehorned into classes, such as the Ford GT I'm gr3. Also the group cars in Gr1.

It's more that cars from the past are now being shoehorned into classes, such as the Ford GT I'm gr3. Also the group cars in Gr1.

The Group C cars really need their own class. Their pace is just too different from the current LMP1 in the game.

And the C7 Gr. 3 is also GTE so...

It's not, it's a fictional race car as well, hence why it's called C7 Gr.3 . It's easy to confuse it with the C7.R since they look very similar.

If you're going to do that you may as well bring back all the GT6 LM race cars... and even those race modification cars...

Hence why I said in my original post that I narrowed it down, because the potential list is simply too huge.

The Group C cars really need their own class. Their pace is just too different from the current LMP1 in the game.
You say that
2. Lister Storm V12 Race Car
car_172_46737_555f6c2d1aebc.jpg

Ahhh yes, the Storm. I think it's safe to say that this car is well-known amongst Gran Turismo 2 veterans. The attention-grabbing yellow and green livery coupled with the massive and boxy silhouette makes for an imposing racing machine. Sadly, from what I noticed, its popularity has dwindled with each successive entry in the GT franchise, constantly getting buried underneath the slew of new cars they come along with, racing or not. Bringing this car back in GT Sport would give the car a new lease of life, and would certainly hit Gran Turismo 2 veterans right in their nostalgia glands.

3. Lamborghini NOMAD Diablo GT-1 OR Lamborghini Diablo GT2
car_163_46737_555f63953006c.jpg

car_156_46737_555f627853672.jpg

A toss-up between two racing Diablos. I won't blame you if you lean (heavily) towards the GT-1 because it's had a long history with the franchise, plus it's quite a competitive car in its PP range, unlike the GT2 which tries its absolute damndest to live up to its namesake and kill you. But hey, with GT Sport's new tire model I think the GT2 has a fair shot in the Gr.3 class. Plus it's a Premium car back in GT6, and from what I can tell it looks better than the GT-1.

4. Ford AU Falcon XR8
car_343_46737_555f41ec6ab9a.jpg

In the event that we don't get a proper roster of Australian V8 Supercars in the franchise again (for the 3rd 🤬 time :grumpy:), I would LOVE to see the Falcon XR8 be thrown into the Gr.3 mix, should it ever return. Like the Lister Storm, it too was buried underneath the slew of new cars with each successive entry in the franchise, and it too could use a new lease of life.

5. Jaguar XJ220 LM OR Pagani Zonda LM
car_148_46737_555f5e841c7f6.jpg

car_244_46737_55609ada4ea5f.jpg

Another toss-up. YES, I KNOW. There is A TONNNNN of LM race cars in the GT6 roster that could also fit perfectly in Gr.3 (like the C6 Z06), but out of all the older LM race cars available, the XJ220 has the closest specs in terms of power and weight. Nearly 1200 kgs, and above 500 horsepower. Sure it has a 5-speed gearbox but that won't be a problem since it's fictional, PD could simply toss in another forward gear to bring it up to par with the GT3 cars. As for the Zonda, you would think that its specs are a bit too much for Gr.3, but then again, so is the Ford GT LM Spec II and moreso the Viper GT3-R. A little BoP should take care of the performance gap.
And then you suggest this.

Do you know what you're talking about?

Actually they all just got a power bump in the last BoP update, and fuel consumption was tweaked as well. I'm curious to see how they perform now.

The real problem with Gr.1 is that the AWD Hybrid models wipe the floor with everything else, and PD's solution is to give the other cars more power to compensate. So even if you removed Gr.C from Gr.1 it will still be pretty unbalanced.

But yes, with the new BoP, perhaps the Group C cars can compete on Le Mans. 1% makes a huge difference.

Actually they all just got a power bump in the last BoP update, and fuel consumption was tweaked as well. I'm curious to see how they perform now.

The real problem with Gr.1 is that the AWD Hybrid models wipe the floor with everything else, and PD's solution is to give the other cars more power to compensate. So even if you removed Gr.C from Gr.1 it will still be pretty unbalanced.

But yes, with the new BoP, perhaps the Group C cars can compete on Le Mans. 1% makes a huge difference.
Are you sure about that

You say that

My problem with the Gr.1 class are the AWD cars in it. Like what he said:

You place the current Gr.1 class in a course that has enough technical sections, and the Group C cars will keep getting smoked by the likes of the Toyota TS050. The disparity in performance case-by-case is just too huge.

Are you sure about that

Of course not. But the one thing I'm sure about is Gr.C will never be its own class. So I can only remain hopeful that one day, Gr.C will be competitive on Le Mans, if not the meta, and if only on that track. (Ovals too, I guess)

But at the same time, PD has shown us they are completely content with having cars that are never competitive (McLaren) so honestly, who knows.

It's been awhile since I used a Gr.C on a daily race, but last time I did I remember being 4-5 seconds off my qualy pace. thats not too big of a delta for a long track like Le Mans. PD can close this gap!

You say that

As for the Storm, particularly the 1999 model we had, that one entered the FIA GT Championship under the GT2 class, which is the same class that the BMW M3 GT was made for. So yeah, from what I see the Storm is an excellent addition to the Gr.3 roster.

Isn't that the case in real life too though?

As for the Storm, particularly the 1999 model we had, that one entered the FIA GT Championship under the GT2 class, which is the same class that the BMW M3 GT was made for. So yeah, from what I see the Storm is an excellent addition to the Gr.3 roster.
First off, the Storm was classified as a GT1 car. Second, its age and outdated aero/tech/everything would render it useless in that class. It's why Group C is so uncompetitive. So yeah, from what I see, your wish is as good as adding another Group C into Gr. 1
My problem with the Gr.1 class are the AWD cars in it. Like what he said
I'm guessing you don't remember the part where the R18 '11 was quite OP for some time until it was nerfed

Off topic but is the Ferrari 488 coming?

From my best understanding not until its replacement comes out. If it comes to GT Sport soon, it'd be OP in Gr3 and maybe like the W08 with livery restrictions just like in Project Cars 2.

I can make a few exceptions but for the most part I think it's awful when they mix up old and new cars like this. It kills the balance between the cars and takes away the authenticity, Gr1 is a perfect example of why it's crap. It didn't work in Forza Motorsport either, which is why you don't see them put the LMP1s and Group Cs in the same division (group) anymore.

Last edited:
PC2 and Assetto Corsa's new Blancpain series got it right. For pD to try and cater to the Manufacturer's championship, offering every car, isn't the best solution.

As much as I do appreciate their effort, less is more. Offer the Megane, TT, RCZ and Scirocco, their own series. Place the Atenza, Bugatti, Huracan, GT-R, STI and Evo, in another series.

If PD are truly obsessed with making every car for each group, what about Gr. B?

From my best understanding not until its replacement comes out. If it comes to GT Sport soon, it'd be OP in Gr3 and maybe like the W08 with livery restrictions just like in Project Cars 2.

Why would they wait until the replacement for the 488 comes? It's already a poor look for PD that the 488 has been raced for 2 years -- including a win at Bathurst last year -- and it's still not in the game.

I don't know what PD/Kaz has against Ferrari. The 458 GT3 holds records for the amount of wins in many championship titles, yet you'd think that it was a real-life failure by the way PD sets its BoP.

First off, the Storm was classified as a GT1 car.

Those were the older versions. The 1999 version that appeared in past GT games is a GT2 car.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1999-lister-storm-gt2/
http://tech-racingcars.wikidot.com/lister-storm-gt

Second, its age and outdated aero/tech/everything would render it useless in that class. It's why Group C is so uncompetitive. So yeah, from what I see, your wish is as good as adding another Group C into Gr. 1

You never know, it might surprise us. It still managed to compete in races up to 2005 so that should mean something.

Those were the older versions. The 1999 version that appeared in past GT games is a GT2 car.

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1999-lister-storm-gt2/
http://tech-racingcars.wikidot.com/lister-storm-gt
I stand corrected
You never know, it might surprise us. It still managed to compete in races up to 2005 so that should mean something.
That's what they also said when Group C's inclusion in Gr. 1 was being speculated, and those cars were arguably some of the best in their class. Do you think that a car as uncompetitive as the Storm in its time, let alone in this era, has a chance?

That's what they also said when Group C's inclusion in Gr. 1 was being speculated, and those cars were arguably some of the best in their class. Do you think that a car as uncompetitive as the Storm in its time, let alone in this era, has a chance?

I'm not so sure about that.

http://www.racingsportscars.com/championship/FIA GT.html

With these results, the Storm being able to prove its mettle against the more popular Viper GTS-R and 550 Maranello... yes, I do think the Storm could stand a chance.

Back