Video comparing GT5P to RD:GRID

• Thread starter tommercat
  • 32 comments
What do I think? I think someone decided to show what they wanted to with a bunch of weak GT cars with the corny jazz menu music in awful replay mode while highlighting all the other crap from GRID in fast cars with a rock soundtrack. What a horrible job.

I'm sure I'll buy GRID as I have owned every single previous Codemasters racer, but that comparison wasn't exactly fair...

As long as GRID hasn't become all Americanised like they've ruined DIRT with (I don't want to be told "Go get 'em, tiger" before I do a rally stage) then it might actually be a good game, but I've been disappointed by every PS2 touring cars game. The original PS1 versions were the best, Toca, Toca 2 and Toca world touring cars.

I think it's crap. The only point mentioned that is valid is the point about Damage and even that might be addressed in GT before GT5 is out. GT is fast when you use a fast car, it's no good complaining the game is slow then going out and driving a Daihatsu OPC or whatever it's called. You drive a Ferrari and the game is fast, like it should be. GRiD looks like it's aimed at pure quick fix adrenaline rush game play, nothing wrong with that, but there's nothing wrong with the perhaps seemigly drawn out simulation game play GT offers either. They're just two different approaches to making a racing game.

That is a terrible comparison, there was no actual game play footage shown from grid. The funny thing is Codemasters has chosen to make a Grid Need for Speed clone and getting away from the sim genre to attract more casual gamers. There is a thread about this on Codemasters forum, as there are a lot of unhappy people mad at codemasters choosing to change the Toca series

I'll wait for honest reviews of grid before I decide if I want to purchase it.

That video actually made me want GRID less! It looks like an arcade game. What happened to TOCA!? I used to love Codemasters...

That vid is spot on, especially the bit at the end, enjoy it if that's your thing but it is not a sim like GT5P. I'm sure I'll get GRiD and enjoy it for it's quick pick up and play action (provided it delivers in that area) but I will not say it makes GT5P look bad because GT5P has some slower cars and no damage (as of yet anyway). GT5P is an awesome game and I'm sure GT5 will be better.

Seriously! Picking the crappy Daihatsu from Prologue to compare some high-end race cars in Grid? That's not a very neutral comparison. However I will be picking up Grid as well. Good alternative for some racing actions.

GRID = big explosions, loud sounds

Like GTA IV that's what sells nowadays

Actually, I like the direction theyre going with GTA4, more story based I hear and more on the experience level rather the sand-box aspect. Rockstar North are not some lazy developer, its just everyone likes to copy them.
Their table tennis game is surprisingly good.

Anyway off topic.
Its sad to see ToCA die, very sad indeed. Last time I played a ToCA game that felt simulation-like was Race Driver 1. I used to love playing the PS1 games.

:P

This made me laugh the first seconds I saw this video. It obviously made by a GT hater or maybe by a codemasters coworker. One thing is spot one untill this moment (which will change once PD implements full damage (=> cosmetic and mechanical) and realistic crash pshysics)), damage and crash physics.

That video made me mad, but this one, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bnMRDTSBZA&feature=related made my day.
+1

What I like about GRID is the damage and crash physics and maybe the graphics.

About the previous Codemasters racings games, I agree totally. Toca2 (on pc) was the first racing game I owned, and I loved it!!! My interests were lost when they started with the Racing Driver series. I don't like stories like in the racing driver series, I don't like multiple categories, like rally, racing, stock car etc... in one game.
I'v said it many time on this forum, the only thing I want is to buy a racing sim, with all the cars and tracks unlocked (like in GTR) and no events or missons or driving license (like in the GT series) or stories like in the Codemasters series.

Just MHO

:)

That fact that you guy's are getting angry over this is entertainment in itself. I've played Gran Turismo from day one. I'll always play and will always consider it to be the benchmark for other racing games. However, I will most certainly pick up Grid and race the living crap out of that as well. I mean, Just look at it! It looks VERY Fun. The two are compeltely different games. Somone was just trying to Ruffle some feathers. They did so with ease. :)

-Sam

That fact that you guy's are getting angry over this is entertainment in itself.
Angry? How is getting angry?
I don't know about the others but I was enjoying myself watching that first video.

Again => :P

;)

It basically boils down to a pissing contest. I don't care. One thing that I probably will do is order DIRT for my PS3, I have better graphics on the console and a big TV connected to it. Not like my PC with a little 19 inch running 16:9 1280x720 resolution bitmapped like a 17" wide monitor... It does look fun.

Well "tommercat" obviously has some commercial connection to Codemasters.

Is blatant advertising allowed under the gtplanet AUP? The video does does make GT5P look very boring: I have to admit the "collision" shots from GT5P are excruciating to watch. However, the GRiD sequences remind me of trailers for upcoming action movies: designed to make a crap movie look exciting. Whether GRiD is any good to play remains to be seen.

(I love the cool jazz stylings in the GT5P menu - very hip :cool:)

Well "tommercat" obviously has some commercial connection to Codemasters.

Is blatant advertising allowed under the gtplanet AUP? The video does does make GT5P look very boring: I have to admit the "collision" shots from GT5P are excruciating to watch. However, the GRiD sequences remind me of trailers for upcoming action movies: designed to make a crap movie look exciting. Whether GRiD is any good to play remains to be seen.

(I love the cool jazz stylings in the GT5P menu - very hip :cool:)

Watch the link I posted, and you'll get an answer to your questions.

Well... i agree that GRID has nothing on GT5. However, i think a fundamental difference between those two is the observer's perspective, which believe it or not, is quite important. Basically, put a player in the driver's seat, and observe the TV (not the player). If you put GRID and GT5 next to one another, i'm pretty sure about 80% of observers will focus on GRID, and that's understandable, as it recreates the excitement of driving/racing a lot more then GT5.

Overall, GT5 can take something from GRID, and that's excitement, action, damage and give the player the feel of power. Which it lacks right now (i own prologue).

The guy who created the video obviously has no understanding of racing games. You simply can't compare an arcade style racer to GT5P.

It takes a lot more than flashing lights and exploding cars to make a great racing sim.

I would not say GRID recreates the excitement of racing, like it was mentioned earlier, it overstates the action, like an action movie.

if you watch an actual recorded race, say ALMS or Le Mans, then Grid and GT you'll will see what i mean.

I'll probably get GRID ( i have DIRT/MotorStorm ) mostly to play when my friends are around, It's nice to play these games once in a while ... it just gets old pretty quick. Otherwise i'll be playing GT.

I would not say GRID recreates the excitement of racing, like it was mentioned earlier, it overstates the action, like an action movie.

if you watch an actual recorded race, say ALMS or Le Mans, then Grid and GT you'll will see what i mean.

I'll probably get GRID ( i have DIRT/MotorStorm ) mostly to play when my friends are around, It's nice to play these games once in a while ... it just gets old pretty quick. Otherwise i'll be playing GT.

Arguably, going around a circuit in a monotonous -no flash- car with ok sounds and nearly no "action" or "excitement" gets old quickly as well... it really depends on the point of view.

The person who did the view clearly took side with GRID, but [understandably] everyone here takes the side of GT5. Which technically is not better.

On the grand scheme of things, every single racing games can be compared to any others, as they are at their core, a racing game. a good example of that is Need for SPeed underground. However everyone here wants to put it, it does things a lot better then GT4/5... Night Races is one, Car Sounds is another. And as of now, i haven't seen a better game to do it then NFS:U. So in this instance, comparing an "arcade" game with a "simulation" game is valid, since adding nice night environments and awesome car sounds to GT5 would indeed make it better.

Now Grid, since this is the subject of the conversation, does a few things a lot better then GT5; mainly Draw attention to itself, promote better excitement and supports what seems to be extremely cool damage physics. Taking these concepts would only make GT5 better, not worst. So again, comparing Grid and GT5 is valid under those statements. Arcade or not.

Finally, watching races on tv is fun, but its long as well. hence why most games only support 3-5 lap races. Because, except the hardcore sim/race fans [like us], everyone else don't give a rat's ass about enduro races. They want to have fun "NOW"; which unfortunately, GT5 doesn't do as well as Grid in this instance.

Wow people.
Nice job getting trolled. And its an obvious troll at that. The only thing the video made an emphasis on was the fact that it had no damage. Also the GRiD parts were taken from the trailer itself so cinematography would obviously be alot better (yes I know its from gameplay). The dullest vehicle was chosen from GT5 and driven into a wall. It would have een alot better if the WTCC 3-series was also driven into the wall going backwards in GRiD. Jesus Christ.

Also both of the games are aiming torwards completely different aspects of racing. Im buying both. This thread needs to die.

P.S. Punk Rock is the third worse genre of music after Metal and Rap.

Back