CANCELLED-Vintage Porsche 911 Cup *NO ABS*

• Thread starter llNovall
  • 269 comments
If it's not too late, I might be interested in this, it's a car hardly anyone races and it's a single make championship. Will get a livery done soon, gonna be something I don't see people use too often.
Plenty of room on the roster, and looking forward to your livery. Once recieved, I'll add it to the driver profile page. The driver roster has been updated to reflect your entry. Welcome to the series, and looking forward to racing with you.

Driver: RACECAR/GTP_RACECAR
Race Team: Penske Racing
Car Number: 6
Class:

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20191231202643.png

@llNovall where is the abs sitting at?

So far pushing 70/30 in favor of no abs with 10 votes.
If the no ABS thing doesn’t come to fruition with enough votes, could it be optional with a perk in either HP, weight reduction or tire compound? Just thinking of a way to attract more drivers to fill the grid. (The weight is bottomed out, so it could work that ABS users carry a smidge more weight. But you get my drift - Pardon the pun).

Last edited:
If the no ABS thing doesn’t come to fruition with enough votes, could it be optional with a perk in either HP, weight reduction or tire compound? Just thinking of a way to attract more drivers to fill the grid. (The weight is bottomed out, so it could work that ABS users carry a smidge more weight. But you get my drift - Pardon the pun).
I like the idea. We will have to do some testing this weekend.

I’m down with what ever happens. But as someone that voted no, using abs on the weak option as well as weight penalty or something like that. but im gonna go with whatever is decided. If I had a wheel setup I wouldn’t even add my two cents. (I really need a wheel, hehe my g27 served me well)

I’m one of the ones in favor of ABS free racing and certainly for period correct situations. When I’m feeling lazy, I use the DS4 controller. In my opinion, it is unfair how good the DS4 is for this. I mean, I have a wheel and load cell brake pedal and somebody can be competitive on a controller? Please.
BTW, I don’t differentiate between ABS default and weak. I wrote above considering that ABS is on or off.

Last edited:
I originally voted no, but given that I’ve struggled to “get the feel” and be able to keep pace, I’m more in favor of abs now. Last night in a short test session I was like 5 seconds off pace per lap from I think it was moby and Tex. I know if I hadn’t been the one to suggest the series idea to nova and was just an outsider looking in, I’d pass on the series due to the abs. Just food for thought, running abs may help fill the field more. However it may be too late for this season.

I originally voted no, but given that I’ve struggled to “get the feel” and be able to keep pace, I’m more in favor of abs now. Last night in a short test session I was like 5 seconds off pace per lap from I think it was moby and Tex. I know if I hadn’t been the one to suggest the series idea to nova and was just an outsider looking in, I’d pass on the series due to the abs. Just food for thought, running abs may help fill the field more. However it may be too late for this season.
In regards to the ABS, the first post leaves open the issue on ABS usage and that its being left open to a vote, so I dont necessarily think that is what is holding recruitment back. I personally like the idea of the period correct feel with ABS off, but do understand it can be a turn off to most. With the Holidays, and an active few weeks of Friday Racing, my attention has been away from this series a little bit. The Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Event is tonight, and 2 weeks before the Lambo Cup Friday. I think the best thing we could do is try to get an organized race night together some time in the next week or so with as many drivers as possible to fill the grid. With some streaming and some Youtubed replays, we could post to the thread and hopefully gather a draw to the series.
Rob Brown's idea could carry some traction but will require some testing from various drivers of various skill sets to set a decent and fair ballast penalty for drivers using ABS.

Maybe tonight after the Porsche GT3 Cup or tomorrow night, late we could do some testing on this idea.

I could test and stream tonight, but tomorrow I have ARL Gr3 wildcard season finale, 4 points out from taking the championship in bronze there so can’t miss that.

I tried this car with the ABS off and then on Weak. There was at least a 2 second difference in lap times.

What kind of tire wear were you planning on using in the races?

Me, Rob Brown, and Roman_GT23 tested last night and found about .8-1sec difference from our bests of each. The use of ABS or a scenario fornit to be encouraged is being considered. Stay tuned.

To All Drivers:
We are just over 2 weeks away from the possible Series Opener for the Vintage Porsche 911 Cup on Friday, January 24th. We have 12 drivers signed up, but are still shy by 4 drivers to start the series. With 16 signed drivers, we can afford 4-6 not showing and still have a decent race night, but with 12 drivers, if a few drivers aren't able to race, it would almost be pointless to run the race night. With that said, I'm asking everyone to tag and reach out to any friends on gtplanet or psn and send them an invite with the link to the first post.
Here is the first post link:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-at-9pm-est-target-start-date-1-24-20.391237/

My hope is we can get 4 more drivers to hard set the scheduled opener on time.

In regards to the usage of ABS,
Edit as of 7:30pm est.
After thorough consideration, hearing the various opinions regarding the use ABS, and the poll results of drivers already signed to the series, I have decided this series will be run exclusively as NO ABS. The racing will require an added layer of concentration, but will make the car and series more immersive and in line with the period and experience they represent. I hope everyone will be open to this decision, and adjust their driving to compensate for this added challenge.

Now, with that decision finalized, we need to get 4 more drivers signed for a total of 16 on the roster, and/or at least 10 drivers confirmed to race for the 24th to greenlight the series.

Thanks in advance for all your help to gather a few more drivers.

@llNovall
@DesertPenguin
@CPT_RowdyGiff
@TEX36
@Moby45
@GT_brickhole
@Rob Brown
@Phlano099
@tincanofdeath
@Drummer79
@bigbeefytaco
@RACECAR

Last edited:
Do you have a tentative schedule/calendar for this series? That would help me determine if I can participate.

Sorry if you do have one and I missed it. I only saw a track list. Thanks.

I heard this was a no abs league which sounded interesting butt from what I read it's going to be allowed which is a huge disadvantage for the few that wouldnt. Horsepower gain would help a little but the brake points are so drastically different it is begging for trouble. So with that being said I will respectfully decline at this point.

I apologize, I didn't read enough to notice that the use of ABS hasn't been decided yet. I thought it was still a NO ABS league.

As far as feel goes I will say this. I am using one of the most basic wheel setups you can buy. Thrustmaster T80. It has no force feedback and the peddles are really really light, almost non-existant. I do not know if I have ran with anybody using a DS4 yet so I am not sure who or what has an advantage with ABS turned off. What I do know is that with the wheel, even a cheap wheel it wasn't really hard to get around the track.

So I am not sure why we would need ABS for this car.

I apologize, I didn't read enough to notice that the use of ABS hasn't been decided yet. I thought it was still a NO ABS league.

As far as feel goes I will say this. I am using one of the most basic wheel setups you can buy. Thrustmaster T80. It has no force feedback and the peddles are really really light, almost non-existant. I do not know if I have ran with anybody using a DS4 yet so I am not sure who or what has an advantage with ABS turned off. What I do know is that with the wheel, even a cheap wheel it wasn't really hard to get around the track.

So I am not sure why we would need ABS for this car.

The advantage to ds4 is sprint races u can hit max max lockout very quickly and also brake and throttle alot more aggressively that's why everyone says they are a disadvantage for endurance races due to excessive tire wear while I do not normally have this issue alot of people complain.

Last edited:
I'm in if spots are still available.
Plenty of room, and very glad to have you. You have been added to the drivers list. Your livery looks great, however, only 1 detail needs an edit which is to use the stock wheels (any color). Other than that, your are good to go. Please post a picture of the edited final version of your livery and I will be sure to add it to the drivers profile page. Welcome aboard, and looking forward to racing with you.:cheers:

Back