Vinyl Editors: Racing Livery Reference Thread

• Thread starter Rue
  • 75 comments

Rue

Apparantly...
Premium
Hong Kong
Hong Kong SAR
Hello to all FM2 vinyl editors. As we're all having fun creating our own, and re-creating famous, liveries of classic racing cars I have created this thread so we can share reference materials and request images to help each other reach vinyl perfection. I know this would probably yield more results on the official thread, but trawling through endless mind-numbing idiocy, my confidence in the state of internet humanity has been completely shattered. Thank god GTP has a much better class of user!

At the moment I'm trying to find reference images to recreate one of my favourite liveries ever - the 80's Audi Quattro racers. I want to put it on one of the contemporary Audi saloons. Maybe all of them if it looks good!

quattro_treffen.jpg

Now, this is the most evocative of the era that I could find, but I have no idea which series this car ran in. If someone knows, or even better has more images, I would greatly appreciate a back and top view if possible.

If anyone needs help finding reference materials, I'll be more than happy to assist.

When I finally get FM2, I want to create few racing liveries such as these:

Calsonic R32
IMG_7621top.JPG

IGOL Ferrari F40
Nurburgring-1996-06-30-027.jpg

For Monaro VXR - HRT Holden Commodore VL SS Group A '90 Bathurst 1000km Winner
2394117670100807330sexjpz4.jpg

It raced in the IMSA series. A Google Images search for 'IMSA Audi' will give you plenty of examples of the car from all angles 👍

Just a quick tip for you Chaser. If your looking for a good picture to replicate those vinyls try searching for your particular model under scale model cars. Most scale model websites have good clear pictures and have already done the hard work of replicating them on a smaller scale.

I'll try and dig some pictures out for you during my lunch break.

I'd also like to put a load of images up for reference for other racing liveries so people don't have to search on google for ages. I'll get started now.

When I finally get FM2, I want to create few racing liveries such as these:

Calsonic R32

IGOL Ferrari F40

I saw a Calsonic R32 up for auction a couple days ago. It didn't look very well done, though. That is a sweet looking F40, however. I may have to buy/make a copy.

Brilliant work guys! Thanks very much for all those reference pics nitro! I'm going to get cracking as soon as I get home tonight...

Cars I'm attempting thus far:

- The current Ford Focus Rally Car

- The Vauxhall Astra VXR Race Car

- Kevin Harvick's Shell #29 Monte Carlo

- Dodge Charger Police Concept (already done!)

My dad would be proud of you for the Harvick car. ;)

I quite like the paint scheme of the VXR. If executed properly, it should look quite nice.

I'm trying to set up an FM3 GT3 championship, so I want to try and supply some people with some cars with FIA GT3/British GT liveries such as these:

340.jpg

293.jpg

245.jpg

94.jpg

showimg.php.jpg

showimg.php.jpg

showimg.php.jpg

I'd be willing to pay for good replicas, especially BTCC ones.

As would I. 👍

Nitro, do you have any more pics of the current Gallardos in the FIA GT3? FIA's website isn't too helpful, so I'm looking for any that look good for my 3rd model.

The first car I've done (though not my profile unforunately; turned out pretty good) was Roy Cats' SVR. I got the basic design knocked down, but entered a couple bumps resulting in its deletion.

I'll have a check on the teams' website and see if they have any better pics. I'll then edit this post so they're easy to find.

Edit: Here is S-Berg Racing's car.

28fb86fd2d.jpg
13d5f71b61.jpg

43a9183de5.jpg
1958ddd15a.jpg

91c5d0b0e2.jpg
7560d3118a.jpg

c70ef0f861.jpg
93197271cc.jpg

Team Modena's car

cars10.jpg

Here it is. Just sold it on auction. Thanks for the reference pics chaps!

Cheers for the comments! Two hours on and off I reckon in between nodding off. As you get used the the painting system, you get quicker and quicker.

Back