Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Nismo and Erebus

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • Volvo

Votes: 43 7.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
New rules mean Ford could return, as a privateer outfit, with the Mustang. Using any of the engine formats available, depending on what Ford Aus want to push to its road car customers. Just a thought.

New rules mean Ford could return, as a privateer outfit, with the Mustang. Using any of the engine formats available, depending on what Ford Aus want to push to its road car customers. Just a thought.

I don't think they are going to change the rule until 2017 and Ford only has six cars currently on the grid and I think most teams will change cars.

I don't think they are going to change the rule until 2017 and Ford only has six cars currently on the grid and I think most teams will change cars.

Yeah, i know. My point being that the 2017 rules will throw it all up in the air. Teams will just start to use whatever shell/engine combo they see fit.

This just irritates me further. How can Pye and Percat not be without a drive, one came 5th at Sandown, the other, 3rd at Bathurst, and yet someone like Wall, who has been lucky to get into the ten during his three seasons, gets a prime drive at GRM.

Edit: My guess is that Percat will co-drive with Courtney after news about Murphy, or he will take the third seat at BJR. They are looking for sponsorhip and a driver.

Welcome to the world of motorsports! Logic doesn't always apply, trust me....every series has the same issue. It sucks no doubt but hard to argue when someone has backing instead of trying to find it for another (regardless if it's easy or not). I really had hoped Percat to say in the 222

http://m.speedcafe.com/2014/12/04/v8-supercars-bullish-gen2-engine-equality/

Anyone here an engine expert? 650hp @7500rpm. Any engine. What's the budget like in developing a hybrid engine from the Toyota LMP and putting it in an 'SC' Camry?
Turbos will save the day on the V8quadcam engines with their higher compression. But locked diffs and all that torque with narrow tyres, should make for interesting handling.

SPEEDCAFE: James, the majority of championships around the world have progressively made their engine regulations tighter and towards a common spec over recent years and decades.

What you’ve announced with Gen2 is completely in the other direction. Tell us why this is the right move for V8 Supercars?

JAMES WARBURTON: We’ve spoken to a lot of people and the reality is that we’ve got the best touring car product on the planet.

I think our parity… the reason we’re so loved around the world is for that reason. Everything in terms of the closeness of racing, the spread of the field and everything else.

You’ve got to start with what you’ve got, rather than throwing everything out and starting again (with a new formula).

This category has made great decisions about the racing product and we believe it’s about a blend of both in the future, rather than going in a different direction.

We’re starting with the strength of what we’ve got and adapting it, as opposed to starting again with something different.

SPEEDCAFE: Presumably though the mandate is to be as open as possible in order to make it as welcoming as possible for new players?

WARBURTON: Yes, but don’t forget that those new players will have to step up to the mark too. We’re not going to dumb it down.

If you take half of our field being privateers (non-factory backed teams), they’re probably going to be no real reason for them to change, unless they’ve found a different funding model or a cheaper engine supply model.

These guys (new manufacturers) are going to be at a point where they have to step up and deliver the performance, as we’ve seen with the incoming manufacturers in the last two years.

If we’re going to retain our existing manufacturers and attract new ones moving forwards, you’ve got to remove the barrier and have the flexibility in terms of allowing the DNA that they want to bring to the sport.

SPEEDCAFE: In hindsight were the Car of the Future rules, particularly in terms of engines, too restrictive? Did you not go far enough in ‘opening the shop front’?

WARBURTON: I think it was very successful. We sit here today with a sport that’s growing and with new brands getting value out of it.

I think there were areas that were challenging from a technological point of view and it’s certainly been a focus of mine from day one to ramp up the resourcing and the technical specs.

That’s where we’ve got to very, very quickly. So now away we go.

SPEEDCAFE: The way you’ve opened this up though, it’s going to be a major technical challenge for the championship. Are you confident that you can rise to that challenge?

WARBURTON: Absolutely. But more importantly our technical team and our team owners believe that can be the case. I’m relying on their experience.

When you look at what we’ve got, the way we now manage the engines and everything else, we’re now fielding a lot of inbound inquiry about what we’re doing.

People are looking at us and going ‘what a great system’. Don’t be confused by the ‘not invented here’ syndrome, we’ve actually done a pretty bloody good job.

SPEEDCAFE: You’ve said that the parity system will remain based around the cumulative horsepower concept. Are you expecting the actual performance level to be about the same as now?

WARBURTON: Yes. Again, we’ve got to get the final spec, but we’ve got to be very careful about the DNA of who we are and what we are.

We’ve still got to have the incumbents setting the bench(mark) and having the new participants proving their level of performance. I think that’s important as well.

SPEEDCAFE: When the Car of the Future was under development V8 Supercars built its own prototype cars for testing. Is anything like that (V8 Supercars building prototypes) going to occur on the engine front?

WARBURTON: Potentially. We’ve got three offers in terms of people (manufacturers) that want to build engines and start testing.

SPEEDCAFE: When do you expect that one could be up and running? Are there timelines on that?

WARBURTON: Not at the moment. The draft specs will be in June and the final lock-off will be in December next year.

It’s important to understand as well that if you look at a range of manufacturers, they already have (racing) engines that exist, for which meeting the proposed thresholds will be quite straightforward.

SPEEDCAFE: You’ve mentioned consultation with manufacturers, teams, sponsors and fans, but has there also been communication with other championships around the world?

WARBURTON: There has been some discussions. The technical department went on a global tour and met with a number of series and teams around the world.

There was a hefty engagement with British Touring Cars to look at what was on offer and if there was anything we can learn from them.

But I don’t think there are any secrets. We’ve already got everyone’s tech specs and vice versa.

SPEEDCAFE: Has the ability to slot in an existing race engine from a manufacturer’s global racing program been a key goal in what you’ve tried to achieve with this concept?

WARBURTON: I think that’s a good outcome in terms of cost for the teams owners.

The potential… there’s probably eight manufacturers that have engines from other racing programs that they can put in.

As long as they can meet our spec (performance) then that’s a win-win for all involved, absolutely.

The turbo engines in particular are going to be relatively easy to dial into our cumulative horsepower formula, compared to the naturally aspirated engines.

There’s three or four that we’ve seen that could be adapted relatively easily and I think if you look forward to the proposed DTM regulations from 2017, that provides another opportunity for re-use of either engines or technology from those manufacturers, should they be interested in being involved.

Last edited:
http://m.speedcafe.com/2014/12/04/marc-v8s-join-kumho-series-2015/

I dig these cars.
Bathurst-MARC-e1417651723679.jpg

“We don’t want to create a new category for the MARC cars, so it makes a lot of sense to run them with the V8 Touring Cars.”

Curkpatrick says the MARC entries will run in their current performance specification, which sees them produce a quoted 500bhp and approximately 1250kg.

They are expected to be evenly matched with the leading V8 Touring Cars, which produce around 600bhp with 1350kg.

MARC-new-cars-344x258.jpg

The second batch of MARC cars are currently under construction

As they will compete for separate trophies, Curkpatrick says the category will not make parity adjustments to even out the two classes.

“We don’t know exactly how they’ll compare yet but it will probably depend on the tracks,” said Curkpatrick.

“Some are saying they’ll be right up there and others are saying not… but it’s neither here nor there, because they’ll be running how they are.”

McLeod is currently building a second batch of three MARC V8s, including a Mazda 3 bodied version, which will debut in February’s Bathurst 12 Hour and remain based in Australia.

One of MARC’s existing overseas-based cars is also likely to front for the Kumho V8 season opener at Sandown in March, while McLeod hopes to receive more orders for new cars during the year.

“We’re confident that the cars will be competitive with the front-runners and that they’ll provide an economical option for people that want to compete in the Kumho series,” said McLeod.

“Because they were built for endurance races, they have the capacity to do two Bathurst 12 Hours and two seasons in the Kumho series without a major service.”

Running costs for the ex-V8 Supercars are one of a number of factors blamed for the low Kumho series grids this season.

If they could actually, eventually, get a full grid of these in the Kumho series, that would be fantastic. If they are actually cheaper to run than an ex-V8 Supercar, that is. It would give the series its own identity, rather than a "knock-off" Dunlop Series and would make a trip to one of the various rural tracks the Shannon's Nationals run at worth while.

Being new machinery is a plus. Added to that, it can be raced pretty much anywhere. I'm looking forward to see the Mazda silhouette at the 12H.

Could be stickers on the headlights. :sly:
Front running team. I'd be happy if it is for Erebus. Could it be NISSAN? Hmm, Caruso, Davison and Percat duking it out for the 10th spot. They're only separated by 90pts. I can't see Monster at Tekno(Tony Quinn has his VIP and Darrell Lea products), LDM(Ingall is down in 19th) or DJR. Unless Scott Pye is going to Tekno or Percat and Pye go to LDM. I can't call it.

Monster want to take it to RBRA. Their closest opposition are FPR. HRT are close as are Tekno. BJR are locked in. Volvo are locked in. Super Black is only one car and Bottle-O, I don't know about Reynolds' connections. Holdsworth is question mark. Which leaves Moffat & Caruso, Walsh & Davison. 3 RECs are up for grabs, but no more teams are available. Pye, Percat and possibly D'Alberto. I wish they'd just spill the beans. Any thoughts? Pepsi Max leaving?

Live updates
php65djnlscreen_shot_2014-12-05_at_9.37.41_am.png

http://m.speedcafe.com/2014/12/05/live-updates-sydney-nrma-500/

FP1 Results
phplzqdwlscreen_shot_2014-12-05_at_9.53.27_am.png

Last edited:
Only practice but encouraged by JC's pace hopefully he can finish this year off on a high, after a lacklustre run at Phillip Island and another disappointing enduro campaign. Impressed by Caurso's pace yet again. Think Nissan are really starting to put it together, lot more consistent pace from them over the last half of this season. Great to see.

Only practice but encouraged by JC's pace hopefully he can finish this year off on a high, after a lacklustre run at Phillip Island and another disappointing enduro campaign. Impressed by Caurso's pace yet again. Think Nissan are really starting to put it together, lot more consistent pace from them over the last half of this season. Great to see.

Caruso had a good start of the year at Albert Park as well. They'll be dialed in for next year no doubt. I'm curious to know when the Jack Daniels contract ends.

The Jack Daniel’s deal is also up this year, but Ryan said the team is confident that will be renewed.

“They have said publicly it is their firm intention to continue with the team and there will be some positive stuff coming out in the not too distant future,” Ryan said.

We'll see.

Manufacturers I see coming to join......

North America:
Chrysler/Dodge

Europe:
BMW, Audi(assuming Mercedes is still around.),

Asia:
Toyota/Lexus, Mazda(just throwing them a bone lol)

Just my thoughts on 2017!!

Courtney and Tander down in 8th & 9th. Caruso and Davison 10th & 11th. Giz is 4th and Coulthard 6th. I can't wait for the announcement. ;)

Team standings
HRT 3rd
BJR 4th
Norton 5th
Erebus 6th
Polestar 7th
Tekno 10th

Manufacturers I see coming to join......

North America:
Chrysler/Dodge

Europe:
BMW, Audi(assuming Mercedes is still around.),

Asia:
Toyota/Lexus, Mazda(just throwing them a bone lol)

Just my thoughts on 2017!!

I could see Audi and/or BMW if Mercedes join/start funding the Erebus operation.
Or if Erebus became consistent front runners.

Lexus seems like a good chance. Mazda aren't out of the question as their road cars are going well and they are pretty quiet in Motorsport at the moment.

Chrysler/Dodge is a bit of an odd one. They did show interest, supposedly, but they have pulled out of everything they have joined in the USA, so I have o idea why Australia would be any better value for them.

I'd like some more 'left field' manufacturers, like Volvo were. Skoda would be cool, unlikely though. Plenty of options, let's just hope that people that are already in there stay.

Could Definetly see Audi and BMW join from this as the only thing that was stopping them now was what they called Previous generation engines.

If either of those come, Mercedes may be enticed in giving Erebus a Works backing.

Does anyone know if the Regulations allow 5 Cylinder engines because that would be a very stupid move if they don't, considering you have Volvo in the series and that is their trade mark engine.

I recall BMW saying they wouldn't enter unless they could use the same car they use in DTM, that was a while ago so their stance may have changed since. Perhaps they would be interested if they could use the DTM spec engine though. I can imagine Audi joining at some point, hopefully with BJR for old times sake. Other than that (besides Lexus) I can't really thinking of any manufacturers who would be likely to join.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back