Volkswagen ID - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 216 comments
My favorite part about VW's ID series is how they all look Chinese. Not sure how they managed to throw out their iconic German styling but they did it.

This thing though, I'm not sure SEAT has ever really developed a design identity, especially not here in the US, but this thing is bad as hell. Love it.

Here's Cupra's version of the ID.3, the Cupra El-Born. It has a boost button that will temporarily boost power output for overtaking. Additionally, it'll have sportier suspension.

2021-Cupra-EL-Born-01.jpg

2021-Cupra-EL-Born-03.jpg

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/01/c...will-feature-a-boost-function-for-overtaking/

Last edited:
What was a fresh design language on the ID.3 is slowly being watered down to the generic SUV boredom many people want. FFS, electric cars are a clean sheet for packaging. Step away from the current (pun intended) and design something truly new.

VXR
Step away from the current (pun intended) and design something truly new.

Hopefully that's where the ID Buzz comes in with its Type 2-like form factor to offer a more distinctive, practical and stylish alternative to crossovers. Speaking of which, its test mule (Based on a shortened Transporter) has been spotted for the first time:
vw-id.buzz-mule.jpg

vw-id.buzz-mule.jpg

Hopefully that's where the ID Buzz comes in with its Type 2-like form factor to offer a more distinctive, practical and stylish alternative to crossovers. Speaking of which, its test mule (Based on a shortened Transporter) has been spotted for the first time:
vw-id.buzz-mule.jpg

vw-id.buzz-mule.jpg

That's a badass looking van as it is. Can they just give us this?

That's a badass looking van as it is. Can they just give us this?
See this was my point. The design of that van is fantastic, it looks like a German VW, it's plain and simple, lots of horizontal lines. Looks great.

The ID series are all horrible Chinese knockoffs.

Weeelllll, that's unfortunate.

Doesn't even have a frunk? Come on, that's elementary-level EV design. Unbelievable.

VW ID.6 Crozz and ID.6 X officially revealed for the Chinese market, seven-configurations with up to 302hp.
2022-Volkswagen-ID.6-4.jpg

2022-Volkswagen-ID.6-5.jpg

Next announcement will be the ID.4 GTX on April 28th, while the Cupra Born (based on the ID.3) will be revealed in May.

The headlights look like stickers, don't they? The shape of the body is actually pretty nice, but the front end styling is unnecessarily fussy and unattractive.

Last edited:
The headlights look like stickers, don't they? The shape of the body is actually pretty nice, but the front end styling is unnecessarily fussy and unattractive.
Theres a large ammount of camo stickers on the front to obfuscate its features. I think it will looks considerably nicer once they're all gone :lol:

Looks almost identical to the concept, minus the typcial concept car-y things. Not a fan of the lower front bumper treatment.

VW ID.LIFE joins the likes of the Honda E and Renault 5 concept with a boxy and retro design language.
VW-ID.-LIFE-20.jpg

VW-ID.-LIFE-24.jpg

Also marks the debut of the FWD MEB platform and is expected to be around €20,000 when it goes on sale from 2025.

Here are some better angles to gauge size:
volkswagen-id-buzz-prototype-with-production-body-spy-photo.jpg

Okay VW, I see you. Now this thing looks like what a German VW should look like. Flat, square, slabs, lines. It's a German thing, you wouldn't understand.

VW ID.LIFE joins the likes of the Honda E and Renault 5 concept with a boxy and retro design language.
VW-ID.-LIFE-20.jpg

VW-ID.-LIFE-24.jpg

Also marks the debut of the FWD MEB platform and is expected to be around €20,000 when it goes on sale from 2025.
This too, not bad. I like the suggestion of round lights, the eyebrows, and the lit badges.

It would seem that they've adjusted their ID design language. Maybe they finally realized that the other IDs all look like Hyundais, while the new Hyundai looks like a VW.

Last edited:

1630994654834.png

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, a standalone VW brand responsible for the development and sales of light commercial vehicles, and Argo AI, an autonomous driving technology company, unveiled the first version of the ID Buzz AD (Autonomous Driving) on Sunday.

The two companies shared plans to test and commercially scale the jointly developed, fully-electric self-driving van over the next four years at the VW night event ahead of the 2021 IAA Mobility Event in Munich. Testing of the prototype, one of the first five planned test vehicles, has already begun and will continue at Argo’s development center in Neufahrn, near Munich, as well as at Argo’s nine hectare closed course near the Munich airport, which tests for a variety of traffic situations unique to European driving conditions, and Argo’s test track in the United States.

At the event, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, which has developed a separate businesses unit devoted to autonomous driving and acquired a stake in Argo AI, demonstrated how ride-pooling via a self-driving system can help with managing traffic flows.

VW first revealed the ID Buzz as a concept vehicle back in 2017, a futuristic take on the classic microbus that invokes nostalgia as a family camper van. The final product looks a bit different than the iconic campers, now containing all of the bells and whistles of autonomy, such as Argo’s proprietary sensor Argo Lidar, which sits on top of the Buzz’s roof. According to Argo AI, its lidar can detect objects from a distance of more than 1,300 feet, or 400 meters. Four years ago, Argo acquired lidar company Princeton Lightwave, which has allowed the company to produce this new, highly accurate sensor with patented Geiger-mode technology that can detect a single photon, the smallest of light particles, so that it can capture, detect and precisely represent objects with low reflectivity like black vehicles.

Argo AI’s entire system consists of sensors and software that give the computer a 360 degree awareness of the vehicle’s environment, allowing it to “predict the actions of pedestrians, bicyclists and vehicles, and direct the engine, braking and steering systems so that the vehicle moves safely and naturally, like an experienced driver,” according to a statement from VW.

Last edited:
I spent this last week driving an ID.4, so here are some impressions I thought I would post:
  • The car has a "Start" button like any other car, but if you have the key in your pocket and sit in the driver's seat, there's a sensor in the seat that turns everything on. Then all you have to do is put your foot on the brake and it's ready to go. I didn't like this sensor because I am only 5'6" so to pull the car into my work bay in our shop I usually have to lift myself up a bit to look out the door window for lift alignment and when you get out of the seat the car throws itself into Park immediately.
  • Touch sensitive buttons everywhere. This is one feature getting used more in new cars and I hate it. There are only physical buttons for the seat adjustment and the window switches. Of which there are only two. So to roll the rear windows up/down you have to first press a touch sensitive button that says "Rear" and then use the same window switches that you use for the front. Weird concept.
  • The lane departure system is WAY too sensitive. It didn't much like the banked curves on our track, and if you got too close to the line on the left side it would start to fight to re-center the car in the lane. Which turned into some minor back and forth movement, and then it throws a warning "Please drive in the center of the lane", which is hilarious because it was the car making it do that. I found the easiest way to clear that warning was the quickly jog the steering wheel back and forth a few times.
  • The infotainment screen is tricky to get used to. And I didn't like the fact that it wouldn't stay in some menu screens, including the climate control. If the screen sits idle for 5-10 seconds it automatically returns to the home screen.
  • I did find a glitch with the driving modes. I had it in ECO mode and had to stop for something. I got out of the car, then got back in and started driving again. Went to make an acceleration run and it felt faster than it was previously while in ECO mode. I checked to see if it was still in that mode and the screen said it was, but when I switched to Normal mode and then switched back to ECO, it fixed it.
Overall I wasn't really that impressed with it. I get that this is the way we are going for personal transportation now, and I'm fine with electric cars, but this one was a bit over the top for me. I liked the Leaf because, as a base, it's an electric car and so offers their best features which are instant torque and smooth acceleration. The rest of the car is fairly normal. Regular buttons, no overly sensitive driving nannies, etc. The ID.4 was just too much for me. And I also find it's styling to be very bland. In fact, VW's design language right now on most of their cars is quite boring, but that's just my opinion.

Ugh, the way they have implemented the rear windows is abhorrent - just touch for the sake of doing something different. That's just a perversion.

Back