Volkswagen Rebrands to Voltswagen for North America

Their official Twitter has posted about it so it doesn't appear to be a leaked April fools joke!

Why is this change only for the US market? Is this some sort of subtle implication that their electric vehicles will be boring?

Last edited:
Why is this change only for the US market?
I'd hazard a guess that the US market is very small for them and a place where they can reinvent their (tainted by Dieselgate, which of course barely affected North America) identity, without confusing too many consumers.

Edit: Wow. 300k sales in the USA, of nearly 11 million in total. Yeah, that'd do it.

Last edited:
upload_2021-3-30_17-56-18.png

Definitely a leaked april fools. :lol:
This technically leaked out overnight on a few outlets:

And my first thought was "this is an April Fool that's leaked out early". Then I find today that VW has done this, 14 hours later:

WSJ is reporting that VW AG is saying it's a marketing stunt, although I can't find where it's doing that (should be here or here; isn't). However, it appears the press release was originally dated April 29th, not March 29th...

If it's a marketing stunt to get people thinking/talking about Volkswagen in any capacity...it's working. It's actually a pretty witty move, have to get them some credit.

Last edited:
It's an April fools joke.
Maybe. The original press release was dated April 29th though...
The domain http://voltswagen.com/ does not belong to Volkwagen.
This affects Volkswagen of America, and its URL is vw.com. Since the abbreviation will be VW and its ICE cars will still be badged as VW, I don't see the issue.
Nor has the name been officially registered as a brand in the US.
Does it need to be? It's a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, which is.

This affects Volkswagen of America, and its URL is vw.com. Since the abbreviation will be VW and its ICE cars will still be badged as VW, I don't see the issue.

There doesn't appear to be any copyright or trademark registered for the name that I could find.

Which means GTPlanet should secure it!

(Even if it was just a marketing exercise, I'm somewhat surprised they haven't registered the IP, unless there is a way to do it while concealing it for some amount of time)

Last edited:
...Nah, I reckon they're having us on for an early April Fools.
Even if they dared to do something like this, though, couldn't they at least do a 'Citroen DS' and split just the ID. mob into a new brand?

Let's wait until the 1st of April to see who is right :lol:

This is actually how a lot of Americans pronounce their name so that's funny. Nice play on words.

We lose another one... R.I.P one of my top 3 favorite manufacturers. You will be missed and I will keep dreaming of finding either one of these, restore and preserve them.

View attachment 1001032

View attachment 1001033
Off topic, but it's pretty insane how rare Mk.III Golfs/Jettas have become in the last decade. They went from being pretty common sights to almost nonexistent on the roads today.

Back