[VRR][B-SPEC] 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Season

• Thread starter Eva
  • 1,040 comments

What Sponsor Would You Want For 2018-2020?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last minute changes have secured that the 2017 VRR Straight Talk IndyCar Series calendar will have 26 points paying events. Private efforts to secure the race at Yas Marina Circuit have failed, leaving the series to just three flyaway races before the series goes to back to back ovals with a new 300 mile race at Auto Club Speedway and the scheduled race at Homestead-Miami Speedway. "We tried to keep Abu Dhabi in the calendar. But with funding being curtailed from sponsors, and the concerns that the fuel the cars use wouldn't be allowed in using Sunoco or Energopetrol, it wasn't in the cards...We thought about Bahrain as a replacement, but they would not be comfortable running a race last minute like that, so maybe in 2018." Evangeline Porter said in a press conference covering the calendar changes.
An addition of a June race at Kansas Speedway was also confirmed, with the race being 300 miles and taking place on June 23rd weekend.
And there was a substitution made for one of the Canadian race weekends. Taking the place of Edmonton will be the heralded Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal for a 70 lap race.

"Well, I'm kind of disappointed that the series won't be going to emirates because the looks of the Abu Dhabi course are quite striking, I went to the trouble of doing some "Virtual Test Sessions" on my PS4 and Gabe (Jean-Caude Gabriel, CEO of Phantom Motorsports) could've gotten me a deal on a room at the trackside motel. On the other hand, running 300-miles race at Auto Club and Kansas Speedways is going to be exciting and suit my driving skills fine, plus going up to Montreal to run at the Ile Notre Dame is definitely going to be a plus for VRR Indycar...

"All in all, I think it'll work out just fine."

The amount of entries teams can enter will be different in 2018. Beginning in 2018, teams will be limited to three full time entries and can have two part time drivers either sharing a car or in their own cars for 5 races per driver. Sister teams have also been outlawed for 2018, meaning teams like Team Christie Upton will need to become their own entity with a different name. VRR CEO Angel Porter confirmed that this was meant to disperse the amount of entries in the series among different entities and to allow other teams the ability to grow in the series. Porter also outlined the current outlook of 2018 entries reserved based on 2017 teams.
Full Time Entries (Team-Engine-No of Entries)
Impulse Racing-Alpine-3 @Sakura
Black Rose Racing-Ferrari-3 @Angel
Polaris Motorsports-Chevrolet-3 @amaterasu
Cherokee Motorsports-Alpine-1 @Clayton Hardy
Cat Devil Racing-Honda-3 @KuniKino****a
Eiffel Tower Racing Team-Alpine-1 @nascarfan1400
Sovereign Motorsports-TBD-1 @YayoiGT2
Rainbow Road Racing-TBD-1 @RESHIRAM5
Ecurie Ecosse-TBD-1 @AudiMan2011
Perl Speed GP-TBD-1 @catamount39
Swift Autosport-TBD-2 @swiftsmith
Big Blue Motorsports-TBD-1 @ukfan758
Team Kate Upton-TBD-3 @DurWinning
Scuderia Rabia Furiosa-TBD-2 @DcrRaikkonen
Starion Motorsports-Ford-2 @BKGlover
TBD-TBD-2 @Michelin @Niku Driver HC
Black Rose Racing can distribute 1 entry to another team of their choice.
Cat Devil Racing can distribute 1 entry to another team of their choice.
Polaris Motorsports can distribute 1 entry to another team of their choice.

Part Time Entries-2018 IndyCar
Impulse Racing-Alpine-1
Black Rose Racing-Ferrari-1
Polaris Motorsports-Chevrolet-1
Cherokee Motorsports-Alpine-1
Cat Devil Racing-Honda-1

Porter also outlined the engine supply restrictions for 2018, stating that an engine supplier cannot supply more than 9 full time entries.

Breaking character for a second, what engines are gonna be available? I don't remember Alpine. 0-0
Alpine was announced a while ago. Impulse Racing is the factory team for it. Available engine suppliers are Alpine, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Ford, Honda.

More than likely sticking with the single car for 2018. Might look at 2 cars full time in 2019 provided I don't make stupid tweets again.

Last edited:
So I could be going full time next year....
That depends on who Black Rose Racing, Polaris Motorsports, and Cat Devil Racing make deals with with their extra entries really.

Stephanie Porter-Kelley answered some questions on social media following the announcement that teams in 2018 would be restricted to three full time entries. Polaris Motorsports, owned by Porter-Kelley, has four full time entries for 2017 and retains the right to make a deal with another existing team or a new team for 2018 before June 1st. If the entry still isn't handled by then, then VRR will deal the entry out based on 2017 team points at the end of the season. "Obviously, this is a strike against those who have made a bigger golden egg in the series than others." Porter-Kelley said in a post, "I'm now in the difficult position of ensuring Jacob, Diego, and Jamie all have full time seats in 2018, either as a teammate or not." Answering a question as to who she thought would depart the team, she was very hesitant. "I can't pick out who might go where. If Jacob, Diego, or Jamie say they want to go somewhere, I'll try to arrange a deal with that team and see what happens."

"Reports of Perl-Speed GP officials in Japan. Owner Ryan Perlstein among those present."

"Reports of Perl-Speed GP officials in Japan. Owner Ryan Perlstein among those present."
Can never trust the blue bird.

It's gonna suck for sure. 4 of us trying to fit into 3 seats next season. I'm going to be pushing like heck to make sure I have the pace to keep it, but I know that everyone else is gonna be fighting just as hard for their position no matter what team they are part of.

About the limited number of seats for each team, as long as I have options by the time we get to the middle of the season, I'll be happy. If it's staying, then I'll prove I deserve to be at Polaris. If it's finding another drive, then I'll hold my head up regardless.

This season is gonna be one hell of a fight

2018 has been changing more and more, and Monday morning, VRR CEO Eva Porter has revealed that 2018 will change further, with the current engine formula being replaced. The current IndyCar engine formula is twin turbocharged V6 engines producing 700 horsepower at ovals and 550 horsepower on road courses. This formula has been in place since 2012 when the ICONIC program was put in place. VRR is stepping closer to getting out of that project, as now it is official that starting in 2018, the series will utilize a naturally aspirated V8 engine, producing 750 horsepower across the entire calendar. The aim is two sided; to make engines cheaper to produce by the engine suppliers by reducing the amount of electronics involved in the engine, and to make the engines cheaper for the teams to buy, in addition to making the racing more exciting and less aero based for the road courses. "We want to help the teams and make supplying the series more appealing to our existing OEMs." Porter said over a conference call. "We also want to make the racing more appealing by reducing the effect the current downforce levels have on the road course racing. Making the cars more challenging mechanically should definitely mix up the racing level for the better by making tire conservation a battle of instinct against thoughtful process."

2018 has been changing more and more, and Monday morning, VRR CEO Eva Porter has revealed that 2018 will change further, with the current engine formula being replaced. The current IndyCar engine formula is twin turbocharged V6 engines producing 700 horsepower at ovals and 550 horsepower on road courses. This formula has been in place since 2012 when the ICONIC program was put in place. VRR is stepping closer to getting out of that project, as now it is official that starting in 2018, the series will utilize a naturally aspirated V8 engine, producing 750 horsepower across the entire calendar. The aim is two sided; to make engines cheaper to produce by the engine suppliers by reducing the amount of electronics involved in the engine, and to make the engines cheaper for the teams to buy, in addition to making the racing more exciting and less aero based for the road courses. "We want to help the teams and make supplying the series more appealing to our existing OEMs." Porter said over a conference call. "We also want to make the racing more appealing by reducing the effect the current downforce levels have on the road course racing. Making the cars more challenging mechanically should definitely mix up the racing level for the better by making tire conservation a battle of instinct against thoughtful process."
tumblr_npdpyrvQJS1ssbvp5o1_500.gif

@Ecosse10

"2018 Ford talks moving nicely. Off to Affalterbach in 2 weeks for 2019 discussions. Excited!"

On the heels of the engine formula announcement, Porter let it slip to the media that two OEMs were interested in joining in 2019. Mercedes AMG and Toyota have been in talks about joining the series in 2019, with Mercedes showing interest in having Ecurie Ecosse as their factory team, while Toyota is hoping for another Japanese team entering the series. "Both Mercedes and Toyota know what the factory team rules are and understand that there is no sway in that." Porter said, referring to to 2018 factory team rules requiring every factory team to maintain at least two full time cars for eligibility. "Obviously, one of these two joining the series would move the series back to 6 OEMs, which means the other would have to wait until one of the others exited the series to join, but it is definitely good to see the interest peaking for the rights to supply the series."

This off season saw one of the strangest occurrences not seen in while. A major manufacturer committing to, then subsequently announcing its short departure. Of course we're talking about Aston Martin. At the end of 2016 season, Perl-Speed GP announced it had formed a partnership with Aston Martin to be their factory team for 2017 and under a 5 year contract, with a 2 year option. However months later Aston Martin informed Perl-Speed and its customer teams that it had changed its decision and would be leaving following the 2017 season. The gold mine for the small start up team, gone.

And it wasn't the end apparently. In recent days, with the rumors of the new 2018 engine formula having already spread among various marks, Perl-Speed had been trying to coral a potential new partner, trying to get manufacturers money in an effort to try and grow. But as officials within the team stated, the damage had been done.

"We tried to get their attention," Wilson Doblov stated in an interview at a team test of their newly upgraded GT3 cars. "But they wanted a more 'stable' team, as they put it. They pointed out (Aston Martin's) departure and tried to get us to explain that, even when we're a loyal customer, why'd they leave so early they asked. And unfortunately it just never got anywhere."

In the frustration, Toyota and Mercedes customer offers were apparently rejected before the announcement even took place, some within the team's upper echelon simply putting it as "inexorabanent" expenses. The quick oversight making officials within the team angered and displeased. Team owner Ryan Perlstein declined interview, and is was not available at the team's GT3 test.

"We understand there are great teams, however we have experience in other racing and we deserve a chance," Doblov said later in the interview. "Both were ridiculous, albeit one was a bit more, hospitable than the other. At least giving us a reason that they were targeting somebody already, and actually understanding the underlinings of what happened."

The team's engine debacle has yet to be solved. Audi, Alpine and Ford were confirmed by Doblov to be "not happening". Lamborghini was apparently questioned by the team, by they respectfully declined, not being interested in joining the open wheel ranks at this time. The Lamborghini rumour is apparently due to the team being interested possibly in joining the Lamborghini ranks in GT3. Meanwhile, Honda and Ferrari remain on the table, with reports of "friendlier" negotiations happening between the team and those companies, with Ferrari apparently leading the way after giving the team a "warm welcome" to the factory.

Impulse Racing founder Sakura Ishibashi has been silent since announcing her team as the factory team for the incoming Alpine brand in 2018. Alpine, a subsidy of Renault, has never raced in the US, nor does Renault have a notable presence in the United States, but Ishibashi says that the importance for Alpine is not what already exists, but what could; "Renault Sport have always been about making a lot out of a little. Look at their Megane and Clio cars turned into racing machines, or the R.S.01, or their open wheel endeavors. Renault has a history of building success from a dream. With Alpine, they are given the freedom to go out and make more of an already rich history." Referring to the older renditions of Alpine, which competed in Formula Two, Formula Three, and Le Mans, Ishibashi reasoned that Alpine could mean a lot to a more diverse range of customers, starting in North America. "Alpine signifies a legacy of chasing ambitions in the sake of saying we love what we do. And that is the way to build a fanbase. Communicate love for a common element. Speed, success, and innovation. What we offer at Impulse Racing is much the same. Ambition, talent, and hunger for that very speed, that very innovation, that elusive success, and the tools to put everything together couldn't be much easier to put together."

Things to note before this weekend:
-Added sections to the OP for race winners, pole sitters, and points standings.
-Full 2017 Indy Lights Calendar to be revealed on Saturday.
-First points race of the year is this weekend!

I may regret showing this, but I wanted to help out so I took on the task of giving a brief overview of the 2017 calendar. It's not great, but after four re-writes maybe someone can use it as a "How not to do this" lesson.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, it's been a couple of months and 2017 may have snuck up on a few of us...OK, me at least. But, the season looms ahead of us with this year's Monster Showdown to kick it off, so with that please allow me to run through the 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Calendar...as of now, anything is subject to change.

As mentioned, we started with the Monster Showdown and the Shootout. I missed the deadline on those, my profuse apologiese. Testing at Sebring will be next for teams, then on to the season opener.

Round 1 begins point racing for 2017, and takes place this year at the Calder Park Thunderdome, a 1.12 mile quad-oval similar in shape to Charlotte Motor Speedway located outside of Melbourne, Australia, so at least the Aussies retained the opener even if they had to change everything else.

Round 2 was going to be at Mike Pero Motorsports Park, aka Ruapuna, however the Kiwi government pulled support and an alternative had to be found. In turn, the series moves north to the Phillipines to Clark International Speedway. The relatively new circuit is 2.6 miles long, has 18 turns, and already host a number of local events along with FIA Formula 4, so while STICS won't be the venue's first international competition, it will be it's first top-tier event.

Round 3 will se us go to China, specifically Shanghai International Circuit, and due to issues behind the scenes it's now the final STICS event in the Asia-Pacific region. Famous for it's regular inclusion on the F1 calendar, it also has one of the longest straigtaways in racing. The track totals 3.387 miles with two long straightaways and 16 turns, with the straight from turn 13 to turn 14 being 1170 meters (0.727 miles) long by itself. F1 cars go over 180 mph regularly here, it'll be interesting to see how fast an IndyCar can go in relation.

Round 4 sees the series return to US shores, and it's almost a direct flight. From China to Cali, Fontana to be exact, as Auto Club Speedway host it's first of two races in 2017. Auto Club is the IndyCar equivalent of Talladega and NASCAR, possibly even better, and may be a great opportunity to get the fans hyped for the remaining season and championship run.

Race 5 is the one almost everyone, including fans, have circled. STICS returns to the Homestead-Miami Speedway for what we imagine will be an insane race full of speed, passing, and all 33 drivers packed within a second of each other. Racing on the 1.5 mile oval has gotten better with time, and hopefully will continue to do so...I probably should have more to say here, but words can't reflect the expected action.

Race 6 delivers almost the opposite experience. Mid-Ohio didn't get much love in 2016 being one of the least eventful races of the year, but they also didn't botch the race, so as of now they retain a calendar spot. Who knows, maybe this year will be better, one can only hope and be optimistic.

Race 7 is being held at Kentucky Speedway, and it held a race last year. It's also a 1.5 mile track, this one's an irregular D-oval...That's all I've got. I recall more "discussion" about last year's race sponsor than I do details about the race itself...wait, what's this? It looks like it's been designated as a "Crown Jewel" event, so it can't be that bad of a race. Also, in memory of GTPlanet member "Foolkiller" Steve Travis, the American Heart Association has taken over race sponsorship of this 600.

Race 8...IndyCar comes home, and it's gonna be one hell of a homecoming. Anticipated speeds are up from last season, more people will be trying to make it on bump day, then...then there's exorcizing *THAT* demon. Returning to Indy comes with knowing what happened last year, and trying to avoid it happening again. The 500 also becomes a 'Crown Jewel' and is the second of the double points races this season.

Race 9 is the Firestone 600K at Charlotte Motor Speedway. 1.5 mile quad-oval, the model for many tracks over the years, including Calder Park Thunderdome after some reading, it has a kick on the exit of turn 4 that has given drivers hell for years, and I imagine will be a point of discussion when we arrive as well.

Race 10 begins the Candian swing and is hosted by the legendary Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal. Still a destination when F1 arrives, STICS makes an appearance this year to take on the Wall of Champions and add it's own chapter to the tracks history.

Races 11 and 12...No, not a typo. VRR is attempting the double-header again. It was on the books in 2016 in Cleveland, then they handed it over to Belle Isle, and finally it was split between Belle Isle and Michigan International Speedway. This year, the attempt has been granted to the Streets of Toronto, the 1.755 mile street circuit at Exhibition Place. The 11 turn course looks simple enough, but that mentality has caught out many drivers over the years. I expect at least an interesting race...excuse me, set of races. It'll also be interesting to see how VRR manages the event.

Round 13 sees a return to the US and Watkins Glen. A track that usually provides a great race no matter what's being raced. 3.4 miles and 11 turns of fast yet technical asphalt in the forest of upstate New York. This would have been The Glen's first appearance had it not been for both Laguna Seca having to give up the road course finale, then Sonoma threw a fit because it wasn't the season finale. It worked out, Watkins Glen stepped in and the race went on to be a game changer for some.

Halfway now. Take a breath...and let's go again.

Round 14 will take place at a short-notice location in the midwest, this time in the form of Kansas Speedway. Yes, another 1.5 mile oval but how many times must it be said just because they look similar doesn't mean they are, and even though it's usually associated with Chicagoland directly and Vegas by it's layout, it is it's own beast and not one that you should let your guard down against.

Round 15 is a return to Michigan International Speedway, the sister track to Auto Club. It's wide, it's fast, it's a 2 mile D-oval, and it's proven to be incredibly chaotic going back to testing before STICS even got going properly. This is the third 'Crown Jewel' race, so expect teams to push for the win.

Round 16 sees the series head back to the east coast to Dover, the concrete 'Monster Mile'. High banks and high speed, and a reasonably high chance someone's gonna make a mistake and go careening up the banking. That's just what happens, that and someone at least flirting with the wall at pit entry.

Round 17 takes us into the mountains to Long Pond, Pennsylvania. Pocono Raceway returns to the calendar, 2.5 miles in lenght, 3 turns, fast, plenty of room to move around, and a lot more technical than you'd think a massive triangle would be. It's also the fourth of five 'Crown Jewel' races, so we may se more chaos than normal races just due to teams taking risks to win it.

Round 18 see's a track promoted to the regular season. Bristol Motor Speedway lost the Shootout, but picked up a points race in it's stead. "The World's Fastest Half-Mile" is the line commonly used to promote the bull ring, but unless someone figured it out don't expect an excess of passing to go with that speed. Should be a solid race though.

Round 19 goes back into the midwest, fields almost everywhere. Iowa Speedway is the stop, 0.875 miles of D-oval designed to be similar to Richmond International. This race is the last US oval for about a month, and that's all I know really.

Round 20 leads us up north again, this time to Road America. 4.05 miles long, 14 turns, and generally a good track for racing, it returns from 2016 and is the last race before the series takes a short break.

Can you tell I'm running out of steam yet? There's an off week here for a closed test at Fontana then the series moves across the Atlantic for a short European swing.

Round 21 starts the Euro trip, and we land in France. Magny-Cours to be exact. One of F1's former tracks, it was as-of-writing the last host of the French GP. 2.741 miles, 17 turns, and the record is held by Michael Schumacher. I've been told this is an underrated venue for racing, and considering I didn't know what it was until...now really, I'd say so. Now it's a question of "Is it any good?" though VRR doesn't enlist tracks that aren't so that's a favorable start.

Round 22 sees us arrive in Germany, at EuroSpeedway Lausitz. This was by the race reports one of the closest races of 2016, though no footage has yet been released for it so we'll take VRRs word. It is a tri-oval, like Pocono is, but unlike Pocono it's shorter, 2.023 miles, and the turns are longer and look to be a bit more open as well.

Round 23 is another returning venue as we move to Brno, Czech Republi and the Masaryk circuit. 2016's race here didn't have a lot of passing, but the racing regardless was pretty good. There was also the drama of drivers slipping off track in various places, hopefully they'll know where those track limits are this year.

Round 24 is our first trip to Bosnia and Herzegovina to the Sarajevo International Circuit, and that's all I know about it proper. Calender wise, this is the last road course of the season and our last stop in Europe.

Round 25 brings us back to the US for the final stretch, the penultimate round being at Phoenix International Raceway. The 1 mile D-oval usually produces good racing, though the dogleg on the backstretch has a habit of throwing a wrench in the works. This will still be an important race, but in the end it's better to think of it as a cleanser for the World Championships.

Round 26. The World Championships at Fontana. This is it for the STICS season, and if you thought the rest of the season was mad enough, you must not have seen last year's race. It made NASCAR at Talladega look relatively tame, and with the tweaks VRR is making for 2017, this year's edition could be a heart-stopper.

So there you have it, the 2017 Straight Talk IndyCar Series Calendar rundown...HOPEFULLY done and dusted before the season begins in earnest because that'd make this look unprofessional and...what's that?...What's it matter, we aren't paid for this? Ed! Get back here!

What's the recommended salary?
As an owner driver, you are fortunate to earn more than just drivers. Enter a number based on the what if I'm trying to get hired by a different team. Has to be at least $1,000,000 but you'd be insane if you put anything over $3,000,000.

Cat Devil Racing controls one of the three surplus entries for 2018, but Kunimitsu Kino****a has said that this has no effect to the team's 2018 plans. "In this stage, I'd be willing to make a simple trade off with a team in exchange of a guarantee that the team would use Honda engines. I'm not going to ask money for an empty seat that could keep one of the inevitable free agents in with a shout in the series next year." Kino****a also made it very clear who was locked in to the team and racing in 2018. "I'm not going to stop racing, and Camyron is going to be with us for at least another year. The tricky part is filling that third full season drive and then the part time car. But we're already further ahead than anyone else and more stable I think. We're the only team aside from TKU that will be using the same engine and have most of the same drivers for three straight years. We have appeal for those that want to win Indy, and I think we have the teething issues well sorted." Jacob Birmingham, Nii Aryeetey, and Kaylee Zappa are also currently racing for the team in 2017, and it is possible that the team retains the entire lineup in 2018. "If I had my way about it, the final seat is given to one of those three that impress very well and then the other two can share a car to remain in the series in hopes of getting another full time seat."

Latest Posts

Back