Walk for Climate Around The World

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 124 comments

Novalee

(Banned)
Canada
Earth
here is a live feed for around the earth climate strike

looks like a large turnout. me and my gran daughters will be out in our little town .

It's too bad that all those people don't understand any of the science they're preaching, or know how to ask questions like, "Why is the sea level the same as it was 30 years ago, when we were told the coastlines would all be under water by now?" or "Why isn't it 118 degrees in New York like they said it would be by now?" no, it's easier to just jump onto the ignorant bandwagon financed by those who stand to make money by the changes they want to implement.

Climate change may be real, but man-made climate change is a hoax. Decades and decades now of OMG! and literally nothing.

im not so sure that is true .
Global sea level has been rising over the past century, and the rate has increased in recent decades. In 2014, global sea level was 2.6 inches above the 1993 average—the highest annual average in the satellite record (1993-present). Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html

it is understandable that some folks are scared and worried of a future with out carbon as energy. it will be a big change for humans .

people will lose jobs , there is no arguing that , but i think the research is solid and i feel humans will not and do not have a choice .

my personal feeling is of pride to see the all the people that showed up to support the earth around the world today .

"Why is the sea level the same as it was 30 years ago?"
It isn't.
"Why isn't it 118 degrees in New York like they said it would be by now?"
It's not been far off, but I'd be interested to know whether you have evidence that was ever a claim in the first place - significant warming at northern latitudes has to my knowledge never been an anticipated effect of climate change, but more general, slow warming that has greater effects in other areas over time has. High localised temperatures may well be an increasingly frequent occurrence though, and a more likely result is more frequent large weather events.
it's easier to just jump onto the ignorant bandwagon financed by those who stand to make money by the changes they want to implement.
Because nobody stands to make any money from the status quo. And by "any" I of course mean, vastly more money than anyone wishing to reduce human impact stands to make...

Not sure all the kids stand to make much money from turning out to these things either. But they do stand to lose quite a lot (of everything) if things go the other way.
Climate change may be real, but man-made climate change is a hoax.
The vast body of scientific evidence suggests that is not the case.
Decades and decades now of OMG! and literally nothing.
Nothing experienced by you, I'd wager. But the Pakistanis do. They do on Pacific islands. And they're even feeling it in the Midwest.

It's too bad that all those people don't understand any of the science they're preaching, or know how to ask questions like, "Why is the sea level the same as it was 30 years ago, when we were told the coastlines would all be under water by now?" or "Why isn't it 118 degrees in New York like they said it would be by now?" no, it's easier to just jump onto the ignorant bandwagon financed by those who stand to make money by the changes they want to implement.

Climate change may be real, but man-made climate change is a hoax. Decades and decades now of OMG! and literally nothing.
Educate yourself. https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I was somewhat on your side until the last few years.

Is it really a "strike" if you don't have a full-time job? Or if your local march starts after noon?
Luckily for me, the place I just went for lunch was serving food and not on strike

My good friend Blair puzzles me. He's an engineer, motorcyclist, 2-stroke go-kart racer , and frequent international jet traveller. He drives a turbo-charged GTi and burns carbon like there is no tomorrow. Yet he argues in the most vociferous terms and yes, liberal terms in favor of global-warming reality and liberal/leftist solutions. How can you hold one set of values as dear, yet behave in the completely opposite way?

My good friend Blair puzzles me. He's an engineer, motorcyclist, 2-stroke go-kart racer , and frequent international jet traveller. He drives a turbo-charged GTi and burns carbon like there is no tomorrow. Yet he argues in the most vociferous terms and yes, liberal terms in favor of global-warming reality and liberal/leftist solutions. How can you hold one set of values as dear, yet behave in the completely opposite way?

Case in point: Lewis Hamilton think he's saving the world by going vegan while flying all across the world to drive a Mercedes F1 car that does 5 mpg and eats through rubber like there's no tomorrow.

In the US alone, the effects of climate change has cost over 20 billion dollars in the last decade.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/09/climate-change-costs-us-economy-billions-report

Climate change was also one of the major catalysts of the Syrian War.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/3/150302-syria-war-climate-change-drought

It’s estimated that climate change causes 5 million deaths per year around the world.

I think you mean "Damn reality!!".

Indeed I dont deny climate change and global warming. But on twitter the boomers complaining about the protests are hilarious. Greta Thurnberg seems to be personally attacked by trolls along with boomers.

Indeed I dont deny climate change and global warming. But on twitter the boomers complaining about the protests are hilarious. Greta Thurnberg seems to be personally attacked by trolls along with boomers.
It seems vaguely ridiculous to have industrial & economic policy determined by a children's crusade, or the Army led by Joan of Arc.

It seems vaguely ridiculous to have industrial & economic policy determined by a children's crusade, or the Army led by Joan of Arc.

I don't think they're expecting to determine policy, it seems that the hope is to get societies and governments thinking about serious action.

Case in point: Lewis Hamilton think he's saving the world by going vegan while flying all across the world to drive a Mercedes F1 car that does 5 mpg and eats through rubber like there's no tomorrow.
I never quite get this attitude towards people like Hamilton, if I'm honest.

F1 is his job. He has little control over how much environmental impact the sport as a whole has, and while you could say "if he truly cared about the environment he'd do something else", unless you're typing this on a computer made of sticks from a hemp tent in the forest and eating seeds, then your own carbon footprint is still vastly greater than that of the majority of people on earth who don't live in relative comfort in a first-world country, so it seems a bit hypocritical to wag your finger at Hamilton.

He is, however, hugely influential (for better or worse), and even if his own lifestyle outstrips that of most people, people going vegan or wearing sustainably-sourced clothing because Hamilton does it can potentially have quite a large impact.

People seem to think there's this black and white approach to stuff like environmentalism (and politics, and pretty much everything else people talk about on the internet).

The choice isn't full Swampy or full Trump. You can choose something in the middle that helps reduce your own impact, and ideally not be a dick about it to people who go a little further or don't go quite as far as you do. That's relevant whether it's Hamilton choosing to be vegan, or someone with barely two pennies to rub together in Africa who uses a smoky diesel truck to get about the place.

How do you mean?

Playstation's (and every other console) are plastic bricks, packaged in styrofoam than shipped to all points of the earth. The new ones also usually replace older units, which end up in a garbage dump with everything else we carelessly throw away instead of recycling.

I admit I've purchased my share of consoles and contributed to this problem, and that is also why I don't plan on ever buying a console again. I can't expect others to make concessions in their lives while not doing so myself.

I also don't deny global warming, but it's hilarious how people put you in some category, just because you make fun out of Greta.
If Greta generate some real action (other than students skipping class) then good, but at the same time how stupid people/politicians are when they need a kid to tell them to listen to scientists. Eventually global warming can be cause and solution at the same time, so "we" will see.

I also don't deny global warming, but it's hilarious how people put you in some category, just because you make fun out of Greta.
If Greta generate some real action (other than students skipping class) then good, but at the same time how stupid people/politicians are when they need a kid to tell them to listen to scientists. Eventually global warming can be cause and solution at the same time, so "we" will see.

Cant disagree to be honest.

Latest Posts

Back