Walk for Climate Around The World

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 124 comments
Science cannot tell you which direction a hurricane will take 10 days from now, they can guess though.
Dinosaurs were killed by a major climatic change and we have had ice ages on this planet but now science is saying that man will be cause the earth to self destruct.
This planet has been dealing with change since its inception and this little tiny sliver of time we as humans have in our recorded history and the changes we have actually witnessed is nothing but a pimple on the ass of the entire picture.

The sky is falling marches fit right in with the streetcorner prophets yelling the end of time is nigh! If it is there is nothing you can do about it!

Playstation's (and every other console) are plastic bricks, packaged in styrofoam than shipped to all points of the earth. The new ones also usually replace older units, which end up in a garbage dump with everything else we carelessly throw away instead of recycling.

I admit I've purchased my share of consoles and contributed to this problem, and that is also why I don't plan on ever buying a console again. I can't expect others to make concessions in their lives while not doing so myself.
Ah I see. Guess we’re assuming the people who toss their PlayStations instead of selling them won’t end up buying Xboxes, other hardware or taking up carbon intensive leisure activities.

I do wonder about Google Stadia since the hardware is shared among users and isn’t shipped to retailers, driven home by consumers etc.

Science cannot tell you which direction a hurricane will take 10 days from now, they can guess though.
Dinosaurs were killed by a major climatic change and we have had ice ages on this planet but now science is saying that man will be cause the earth to self destruct.
This planet has been dealing with change since its inception and this little tiny sliver of time we as humans have in our recorded history and the changes we have actually witnessed is nothing but a pimple on the ass of the entire picture.

The sky is falling marches fit right in with the streetcorner prophets yelling the end of time is nigh! If it is there is nothing you can do about it!

Honestly, it doesn't matter if they/we are right or wrong about global warming being caused by humans (We may not be the sole cause, but we certainly play a role). What does matter is the fact we have done considerable damage to our ecosystem and it's getting to the point where one has to wonder how much more it can take before conditions are no longer suitable for human life.

The earth has shown in the past that it can sustain life through unthinkable conditions, however there's nothing to guarantee than humans will always be a part of it.

Playstation's (and every other console) are plastic bricks, packaged in styrofoam than shipped to all points of the earth. The new ones also usually replace older units, which end up in a garbage dump with everything else we carelessly throw away instead of recycling.

I admit I've purchased my share of consoles and contributed to this problem, and that is also why I don't plan on ever buying a console again. I can't expect others to make concessions in their lives while not doing so myself.

Reduce, re-use, recycle.

You can reduce your consumption by not buying a console, but it's one unit, that has a multiple year life, and can either be re-used by someone else or recycled if given to a suitable recycling agent. There's also the question of what the impact of alternate hobbies is going to be. FWIW, my PS4 came shipped in cardboard packaging and inserts, not polystyrene.

I think people need to be more cognisant of the excess in their consumption, and work to change those things. Change the things we do everyday, not the things we do once or twice a decade.

You can reduce your consumption by not buying a console, but it's one unit,

I do what I can. Again, I couldn't live with myself if I went around expecting other people to change their lifestyle without doing so myself.

that has a multiple year life, and can either be re-used by someone else or recycled if given to a suitable recycling agent.

And that's all great, but how many people actually do those things?

There's also the question of what the impact of alternate hobbies is going to be.

I've made it my goal to spend less time on electronics and more time visiting county/state parks and trails.

Change the things we do everyday, not the things we do once or twice a decade.

I've been making it a point to address both those things. Just because you only do something once or twice a decade doesn't mean it's not something that can be worked on.

What does matter is the fact we have done considerable damage to our ecosystem and it's getting to the point where one has to wonder how much more it can take before conditions are no longer suitable for human life.
Our human population numbers are what is reaching the point that the earth is being destroyed and we do not have the resources to support our constantly growing population with the planet having enough in reserve to not constantly be stripped bare.

Eventually something will come along and reset the game, maybe a plague that will kill 80% of the world population, maybe an ice age maybe a direct asteroid hit and the game will begin all over and without man interfering the earth should be able to start restoring and cleansing its self from the damage of man given enough time
You can reduce your consumption by not buying a console, but it's one unit, that has a multiple year life,
But in the grand scheme of things that one console could very well cause its owner to be more efficient in other areas, burn less gas in their car, perhaps take fewer vacations and not buying a boat or some other form of entertainment which is much worse in one weekend or vacation than the console would be over several of its lifetimes. There are usually alternatives that end up being better for a lot of things that the finger is pointed at.

Bunch of dumb kids reading scripts...
How many times was the world supposed to end already?

Whole thing is stupid, we have record high temperatures that have been standing since the late 1800's-early 1900's. Yeah the weather changes...

My dad has a joke about GA weather, "Don't like the weather? Stick around, it'll change".

Damn liberals!! Always ruining everything.
2c749b94a3ef3e76708302b0cf8a1fc094a88528252818d517c98cd34ae49c8c_1.jpg.jpg

But in the grand scheme of things that one console could very well cause its owner to be more efficient in other areas, burn less gas in their car, perhaps take fewer vacations and not buying a boat or some other form of entertainment which is much worse in one weekend or vacation than the console would be over several of its lifetimes. There are usually alternatives that end up being better for a lot of things that the finger is pointed at.

Who said anything about completely giving up gaming? I just don't see why we exactly need a completely new set of consoles every 5-6 years. It really seems like a complete waste of resources.

Whole thing is stupid, we have record high temperatures that have been standing since the late 1800's-early 1900's. Yeah the weather changes...

There are areas in the U.S. where you have to think twice before drinking tap water. That should be a sign that something just isn't right with the way we are going about things.

How many times was the world supposed to end already?

I think this discussion is about science, not Mayan guesswork that was quite possibly misinterpreted anyway.

Weather's unchanged where you are? Good for you, doesn't change the situation though.

Bunch of dumb kids reading scripts...

Er, okay.

I do what I can. Again, I couldn't live with myself if I went around expecting other people to change their lifestyle without doing so myself.

That's fair enough, though it's worth remembering that the nature of the change you may expect other people to make can't be measured by your own change.

And that's all great, but how many people actually do those things?

I'm sure this varies from place to place, but second hand electronics are always in demand if they're working around here, and the electronics recycling skips at the local tip seem to be well used. But in any case, you not buying a console isn't going to make anyone else more responsible when it comes to end of life disposal, all you can do is make sure you dispose of yours properly.

I've made it my goal to spend less time on electronics and more time visiting county/state parks and trails.

That is a good thing from a health point of view I'm sure, though clearly you need to buy less electronics, or buy second hand to mitigate the manufacturing impact of those things... and there's always the implications of travelling to and from hobby destinations, which will be different from one person to the next.

I've been making it a point to address both those things. Just because you only do something once or twice a decade doesn't mean it's not something that can be worked on.

No, that's true. I tend to view it like 100% of 0.1% of your waste, has less impact than 5% of 100%. Cut down a bit on everything, not completely on a couple of things... but I admit where that model works for me personally, it probably doesn't apply to those with more extravagant lifestyles.

If Greta generate some real action (other than students skipping class) then good
This depends on how you define "real action", I suppose. Objectively Greta and the other kids skipping school can't do a lot - because they're schoolchildren and not in a position to make changes.

But they can do exactly what they're doing and put the issue they care about in the public eye - and in that sense, they're having a huge effect. I'm sure regular, large-scale protests have happened in the past, but none I remember in my own lifetime on such a global scale.
Eventually global warming can be cause and solution at the same time, so "we" will see.
Could you rephrase this? I don't entirely understand it as written.
Yeah the weather changes...
The "bunch of dumb kids reading scripts" understand the difference between weather and climate however, which is apparently one step ahead of you...

I'll just leave this here... Excuse me while I say shame on the adults for parading around a kid for their stupid political agenda.

Weather's unchanged where you are?
Pretty much... 9 months of Summer(with drought conditions every year), 2 weeks of fall, 2 months of cold with an occasional thing called snow and 3ish weeks of a cursed yellow thing called pollen. FYI we have some ridiculous pollen numbers for how short our spring actually is.
Mind you I remember the blizzard of '93. Something we very rarely see.

I hope this works.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg
I want someone to answer me a question...
How does an increase in 1°C make a difference in our current weather when we are breaking Summer records dating back to the LATE 1800's?

As far as water... There are MANY reasons why water can be undrinkable in areas.

Remember Flint, MI? Try putting that on "climate change"...

And no, not the Mayans. Our government buddy.

In the late 70's, the world is going to end! In Gores 2000 campaign, the world is going to end! AOC, the world is going to end! The little girl in the video above, the world is going to end!

Anyone remember chicken little?

And one last thing. Our Mid-West didn't become a desert cause of climate change.
It happened cause of poor farming knowledge and poor livestock feeding patterns

Last edited:
How does an increase in 1°C make a difference in our current weather when we are breaking Summer records dating back to the LATE 1800's?
Firstly, because the conversation revolves around climate (global) and not "weather" (local).

Secondly, because temperature changes have historically happened quite slowly over incredibly long (i.e. longer than human history) periods of time (identifiable in ice cores, the fossil records etc), whereas recent changes are taking place much quicker. When the temperature in an enormous system like the earth's climate changes in the space of say, 100 years rather than 100,000 years (and by significantly more than one degree), that can have significant effects.

To a single human standing in a single place, a one-degree difference is no big deal. Not enough to feel, so not a problem. Maybe your ice cream melts a little quicker. When the temperature of the entire global climate raises by one degree, the changes that result are much greater. That one degree is a global average too, so you might get proportionately less warming (or even cooling) in some areas, and proportionally more in others - like over the ice caps, where warmer weather means quicker melting, for instance.

A warmer climate also means more evaporation of water, which has quite an effect when 2/3 of the earth's surface is covered in the stuff, and warmer air holds more moisture and contains more energy, so you get more dramatic weather effects - which we're seeing with increasingly violent storms (exacerbated by growing populations in places that see these storms).

It's not all about temperature, anyway. When we're seeing enormous areas of the Amazon being burned down for agriculture, large swathes of countries like China covered in particulate haze, or thousands of square miles of the Pacific covered in garbage, it rather dispels any notion that humans aren't capable of causing changes in our environment.

I'll just leave this here... Excuse me while I say shame on the adults for parading around a kid for their stupid political agenda.

Pretty much... 9 months of Summer(with drought conditions every year), 2 weeks of fall, 2 months of cold with an occasional thing called snow and 3ish weeks of a cursed yellow thing called pollen. FYI we have some ridiculous pollen numbers for how short our spring actually is.
Mind you I remember the blizzard of '93. Something we very rarely see.

I hope this works.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg
I want someone to answer me a question...

As far as water... There are MANY reasons why water can be undrinkable in areas.

In the late 70's, the world is going to end! In Gores 2000 campaign, the world is going to end! AOC, the world is going to end! The little girl in the video above, the world is going to end!

Anyone remember chicken little?

Maybe better known in Europe as Henny Penny
upload_2019-9-23_14-17-24.jpeg
Henny Penny (Paul Galdone Classics

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!"

You know the world is in for trouble when you put female visionaries at the head of armies, and children leading Crusades.

Not interesting into getting into a debate about science & data that neither one of us are probably well-equipped to discuss. But more generally, I pose this:

If climate change experts are wrong, and we go out of our way as a species to limit our greenhouse emissions, work towards more sustainable forms of energy production, better treatment of the environment, what happens? We spend more money sure, but it's not like we are just deleting the money from the economy....it becomes part of the economy, but surely we end up with a better planet regardless, right?

If climate change experts are right, and we don't do any of that, aren't we completely screwed?

Provided with those two options, with the overwhelming weight of scientific research telling us one thing, why would we risk ignoring it? Why?

This is what I don't understand about climate change deniers. Why are you so compelled to resist? Is it because Al Gore is a little smug and presumptuous? Is it because the elites are telling you what to do? I get that elites are annoying, sure, but isn't it better to have elites lead our civilization than the alternative? The alternative being uninformed commoners with no understanding of the issues at hand nor how to strategically position civilization to face challenges?

Not interesting into getting into a debate about science & data that neither one of us are probably well-equipped to discuss. But more generally, I pose this:

If climate change experts are wrong, and we go out of our way as a species to limit our greenhouse emissions, work towards more sustainable forms of energy production, better treatment of the environment, what happens? We spend more money sure, but it's not like we are just deleting the money from the economy....it becomes part of the economy, but surely we end up with a better planet regardless, right?

If climate change experts are right, and we don't do any of that, aren't we completely screwed?

Provided with those two options, with the overwhelming weight of scientific research telling us one thing, why would we risk ignoring it? Why?

This is what I don't understand about climate change deniers. Why are you so compelled to resist? Is it because Al Gore is a little smug and presumptuous? Is it because the elites are telling you what to do? I get that elites are annoying, sure, but isn't it better to have elites lead our civilization than the alternative? The alternative being uninformed commoners with no understanding of the issues at hand nor how to strategically position civilization to face challenges?

Good questions, the strength and seriousness of which depend upon the credibility of the so-called experts. Experts on both side of the debate frequently depend upon grants, so maybe those should be discarded at the outset. IMHO, we should be very concerned about climate change. Not about warming, but about cooling. It's far more dangerous to agriculture.

upload_2019-9-23_14-44-33.jpeg

Climate change may be real, but man-made climate change is a hoax. Decades and decades now of OMG! and literally nothing.

I apologize in advance, but that viewpoint is about as ignorant and/or willfully dishonest as it can possibly get. There are volumes and volumes of information at your fingertips which proves that global warming is in fact real, and human-caused pollution is the primary cause of it.

"Literally nothing" has changed not because this is a "hoax", but because of people like you who will deny the existence human-caused climate change no matter what evidence/findings are given.

Seems I'm late to the party, but a side-effect of ignoring someone for their propensity for drive-by ****-posting is that you also don't see any threads they've created unless you take specific action to have them appear in the forum list.

Why is this its own thread? I wonder if a moderator such as @Famine (the active moderator that seems to spend the most time in O&CE) might consider depositing this thread wholesale into the existing climate change thread. Thanks in advance for the consideration.

Case in point: Lewis Hamilton think he's saving the world by going vegan while flying all across the world to drive a Mercedes F1 car that does 5 mpg and eats through rubber like there's no tomorrow.
Yeeeeaaahh...what I read here was "anyone who makes an effort to reduce their environmental impact is a hypocrite because they're not completely eliminating their environmental impact", and that's more than a little bit petty.

Dinosaurs were killed by a major climatic change...
Seems to me that particular change wasn't the result of "Earth's gonna earth". No, it was caused by something else.

Do you bother to think before you type?

Holy hole in a donut, she is throwing some shade. I love it!

That's fantastic, really; lead by example.

That said, I wonder if this apparent expectation (broadly; not specifically from you) may in part be causing the push against the implication that climate change is in part a result of human action:

If human action is acknowledged as a contributing factor in climate change, unwillingness to make an effort to reduce impact (be it for difficulty or merely inconvenience) makes the unwilling parties come off as apathetic ****-sticks, and so it's just easier to not acknowledge that, or even deny climate change on the whole.

"I don't agree with this person, so their arguments can't possibly be their own."

It's more appropriate to place the blame on human action.

Human action.

And one last thing. Our Mid-West didn't become a desert cause of climate change.
It happened cause of poor farming knowledge and poor livestock feeding patterns
I'll have 'Human Action' for $800, Alex.

Human action contributes in part or even in whole to these things, and you would have people believe that anything but human action causes climate change.

You know the world is in for trouble when you put female visionaries at the head of armies, and children leading Crusades.
Piffle.

That said, I wonder if this apparent expectation (broadly; not specifically from you) may in part be causing the push against the implication that climate change is in part a result of human action:

I can see that being the case, and is also why the only time I'm really vocal about this expectation is when people are being preachy like those who participated in this walk/protest/demonstration/shindig (in other words, they better practice what they preach).

I do thank you very much.

I admitted we as humans do affect the weather. But ignore my last paragraph...

Blizzards and strong hurricanes and drought are nothing new to Americas weather/climate.

I can see that being the case, and is also why the only time I'm really vocal about this expectation is when people are being preachy like those who participated in this walk/protest/demonstration/shindig (in other words, they better practice what they preach).
I can appreciate that, but if I'm honest, I take issue with the implication that public displays made in an effort to affect change are hampered by supposed lack of consideration in the cause for which the display is made. I think there's absolutely a place for that, but I'm not sure every bit of that was warranted here. Still, I appreciate your candor.

The inability for some to separate GTP from Facebook 🤬-posting is mind-boggling.

Blizzards and strong hurricanes and drought are nothing new to Americas weather/climate.

No, they aren't anything new, but the frequency and severity of them appear to be growing. That's the issue. When one powerful storm comes along every 10, 20, 50, or 100 years it's not a problem since that sort of thing does happen. It's tragic, the cost of life and property are high, and the economy takes a hit. But when year after year, multiple Cat 5 hurricanes and multiple "bomb cyclones" appear, then we need to stop and ask ourselves why.

Studying climate change is important and something that should be done. Whether humans are the main cause of it or not, understanding it is something that's important, if only to better help prepare for major storms hitting populated areas.

Back