Walk for Climate Around The World

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 124 comments
There must be a miscommunication cause in said post, you quoted my last paragraph. The first post after that was a 1 liner. I acknowledged we as humans can affect a regions climate.
Nope.

You posted in this thread on three occasions prior to accusing me of ignoring a supposed last paragraph in which you acknowledge humans affecting climate, and in none of those posts do you offer such an acknowledgement; in the last paragraph of or at any other point therein.

Do you...do you get that your previous posts can still be seen?

And here those three posts are for anyone playing the home game (or in case one or more of them gets edited to include said acknowledgement):

Bunch of dumb kids reading scripts...
How many times was the world supposed to end already?

Whole thing is stupid, we have record high temperatures that have been standing since the late 1800's-early 1900's. Yeah the weather changes...

My dad has a joke about GA weather, "Don't like the weather? Stick around, it'll change".
I'll just leave this here... Excuse me while I say shame on the adults for parading around a kid for their stupid political agenda.

Pretty much... 9 months of Summer(with drought conditions every year), 2 weeks of fall, 2 months of cold with an occasional thing called snow and 3ish weeks of a cursed yellow thing called pollen. FYI we have some ridiculous pollen numbers for how short our spring actually is.
Mind you I remember the blizzard of '93. Something we very rarely see.

I hope this works.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg
I want someone to answer me a question...
How does an increase in 1°C make a difference in our current weather when we are breaking Summer records dating back to the LATE 1800's?

As far as water... There are MANY reasons why water can be undrinkable in areas.

Remember Flint, MI? Try putting that on "climate change"...

And no, not the Mayans. Our government buddy.

In the late 70's, the world is going to end! In Gores 2000 campaign, the world is going to end! AOC, the world is going to end! The little girl in the video above, the world is going to end!

Anyone remember chicken little?

And one last thing. Our Mid-West didn't become a desert cause of climate change.
It happened cause of poor farming knowledge and poor livestock feeding patterns

Ain't it though. ;)

And one last thing. Our Mid-West didn't become a desert cause of climate change.
It happened cause of poor farming knowledge and poor livestock feeding patterns
@Tex
I stand corrected, you did quote it.
I guess you don't see that as me acknowledging humans can and somewhat do affect climate change.
After I thought about the paragraph above, I changed my view a little.

I'll just leave this here... Excuse me while I say shame on the adults for parading around a kid for their stupid political agenda.
Now hear me out because I'm likely be flamed by my statement.

First off, I don't care about whatever "virtue signalling" or political crap that anyone has a grudge for. Not really sure how climate change is very political for some reason, its supposedly a very safe topic to discuss to be honest.

Now while I'm agreed with the message she's trying to convey, her super emotionally driven delivery style is, in my humble opinion, more suitable to the actual human rights abuses like Uyghur Concentration Camps or Yemeni Wars. Her delivery turned many off and I think its the reason why so many videos got many dislikes.

Yes, climate change is terrible and there's definitely have something to do to overcome it. But If I had to cry and weep over that, then I'm afraid mentally speaking I cant because there's definitely things that's way, way worse to be crying and get mad for. You get what I'm saying.

And also if she blames specific countries that emits many carbons, either dont forget the elephant of the room (China) or dont name at all and just say thats its a global responsibility. That's all I can say.

Like I said, don't shoot the message.

Last edited:
All protestors can hope to achieve with walking, demonstrating or having days off school- is to create the conversation.

Love or hate her, Greta has not only started a conversation, but discussed the issue directly with the people who can actually do something about it. She’s also given power to millions of others to take the action they can to try to improve the situation. Even if they aren’t doing everything possible- at least they’re doing something.

It annoys me that there is a (seemingly growing?) group of people who deny human induced climate change in its entirety. Facebook news posts are absolutely full of them. So are discussions at work places, pubs and sporting clubs. In many (not all) cases, they don’t attempt to address the scientific evidence at all.

I have two close friends who openly say it’s all rubbish, which has led to long discussions on the subject. The only thing they cannot argue with me about is the business logic.

If you worked high-up for an oil, energy, technology, resource, agriculture or manufacturing company and your business was being blamed for destroying the earth, wouldn’t you try to prove it wrong? Pay scientists whatever it took to show there is no reason for change? Knowing that any real change threatens your business to its very core?

I know I would. I’d throw fistfuls at the nearest lab to show the world that oil isn’t bad and that they should keep supporting my company forever. As I’m sure many companies across multiple industries have attempted to do for at least the last couple decades.

The fact that BP don’t state climate change is a hoax, says it all to me really.

Now while I'm agreed with the message she's trying to convey, her super emotionally driven delivery style is, in my humble opinion, more suitable to the actual human rights abuses like Uyghur Concentration Camps or Yemeni Wars. Her delivery turned many off and I think its the reason why so many videos got many dislikes.

As a fellow Sperger-Naut I can quite understand how her emotions come out when she's passionate about something. Also, I don't see why large corporations denying climate change and destroying the planet we live on isn't ultimately an attack on humanity. It's not just the large corporations of course, but by bulk that's where the damage is done and that's the source of much of the denial.

And also if she blames specific countries that emits many carbons, either dont forget the elephant of the room (China) or dont name at all and just say thats its a global responsibility. That's all I can say.

She didn't name India or China in her speech but they were there when she delivered it. India and China both spoke afterwards (through representatives rather than in some mad collective roar), the USA did not. I don't see why she shouldn't speak to any countries that will attend any meeting where she speaks, regardless of who might be absent at any time. The news story that Thunberg isn't talking about China (she is) comes from the fact that her written complaint to the UN is under the Rights of the Child accord, something to which China aren't a signatory. China have also banned Climate Strikes from happening.

In all she's a 16 year old who can change little on her own. What's astounding is how hard she's taking the conversation to the people who can change a great deal.

Now hear me out because I'm likely be flamed by my statement.

First off, I don't care about whatever "virtue signalling" or political crap that anyone has a grudge for. Not really sure how climate change is very political for some reason, its supposedly a very safe topic to discuss to be honest.

Yes, climate change is terrible and there's definitely have something to do to overcome it. But If I had to cry and weep over that, then I'm afraid mentally speaking I cant because there's definitely things that's way, way worse to be crying and get mad for. You get what I'm saying.

Like I said, don't shoot the message.
EFrd88lU0AYYvsa

This shows how much countries are improving their climate change actions. China is #33.

EFrd88lU0AYYvsa

This shows how much countries are improving their climate change actions. China is #33.
The fact that the US has done the least out of anywhere in western Europe (or any 1st world country for that matter), and even some third-world nations have done more, should at the very least be frightening.

The fact that the US has done the least out of anywhere in western Europe (or any 1st world country for that matter), and even some third-world nations have done more, should at the very least be frightening.
How much more is there to change?

Goddamnit Canada, get your act together. We're worse than Russia in terms of work on climate change?! Next bit of downtime I'm going to dig into that. I've known Canada has some issues, but I didn't realize we were that bad, and I'm honestly pretty ignorant as why that is.

In a way, I understand why there's pushback about Greta. Nobody likes to be lectured by a seemingly know-it-all teenager: there's a reason that's such a stereotype to begin with. But the rampant whataboutism is ignoring the point. There's a bit of that "what can one person really change" attitude mixed in too, sort of like how people view voting. But that's the thing: everyone adopting a little climate-friendly change in their lifestyle has a huge cumulative effect.

EFrd88lU0AYYvsa

This graphic is ridiculous in the extreme. 70% of power in China comes from coal, and they're building between 300 to 500 new coal plants in the next 10 years or so.

How much more is there to change?
Oh I don't know Mr. Conservative, maybe lower carbon emissions, accept a Green New Deal, re-enter the Paris Climate Accord, use more biodegradable materials instead of plastics, mandate new all cars be electric after a certain year, fully phase out coal, natural gas, and other fossil fuels, research new forms of clean energy, assist countries which pollute even worse than us (China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc), develop more wind turbines, reduce food waste, increase solar farms, as well as simply educating people. Seems like a lot of stuff to me.

mandate new all cars be electric after a certain year.

Nope.

There's no reason a small proportion of the yearly fleet can't remain gas-powered. Well, unless we outlaw the development of the fuel itself...

Commuter cars? Sure, electrify them, although good luck trying to keep the US or Canada's electric grid running at anything close to normal if even 1/4 the current gas-powered automotive fleet became electric in the next decade. And ignore where that electricity is coming from. But a small amount of cars produced every year for people to simply enjoy them wouldn't be a bad thing. Horses were replaced as a primary mode of transport a century ago, and yet people still ride them for pleasure.

Ulrich Bez pointed this out a decade ago: cars like Astons (where he was CEO at the time) average less than half the yearly mileage as something like a Corolla. There's also only a few thousand produced a year, less than the number of Corollas Toyota sells in Canada alone every 12 months. In reality the Corolla lineup is polluting more despite being the "greener" car.

The car is an easy target, but airplanes, or even worse, cruise liners, produce far more. I say that as someone who readily admits I'm part of the problem: car or game events have me flying from place to place because logistically it's the easiest, but it's certainly not the most environmentally sound. At least I know I'll never take a cruise...

accept a Green New Deal
That hypothetically costs more than America owes?

mandate new all cars be electric after a certain year,
Feel free to buy me one. I've never owned a new car, don't plan on buying one, I'll be humbly honest and admit I can't afford and I'm not about to park a 29 year old car I've put thousands into to keep road and emissions worthy.

That hypothetically costs more than America owes?
Yet you people don't even bat an eye at how much money we spend per yer on our military as well as Israel. The money is there; it just needs to be redirected to the right place.

What I said about electric cars, I guess I take it back to some extent, though there's no reason why most vehicles shouldn't be electric. Plains, trains, cargo vessels, and other motor-powered transportation larger than cars should of course be electrified as well. And yes, we should monitor where the energy is coming from; just because something may be electric powered doesn't mean it also doesn't pollute, either.

The US government has a positive mandate to keep the economy sound and bustling, and unemployment low. It has no mandate to sacrifice the domestic economy in any way on the altar of global climate change. IF climate change is a serious problem, then it only going to get worse and there is nothing the US can do about it. Nations with large and growing populations need to reverse that. Nations with plans to build hundreds of new coal plants need to stop in their tracks. But of course none of that is going to happen. My prediction is a sudden and forced return to the population and technology of the Paleolithic, and materialism replaced with spiritualism, animal and female fertility worship. Then we begin a new cycle.

Please don't do that.
It's true though. I'm usually against sweeping generalizations, but come on, tell me that isn't true. When have you ever seen a conservative wake up one day and say, you know, maybe we shouldn't spend $640,000,000,000 on our military, and instead relocate some of those funds to more sustainable causes? No one even bats an eye. Many of these folks actually support a military budget even higher than that, why I don't know. At times it seems that the "fiscally conservative" type is long gone.

Still, this is GTP. Keep up the GTP standard.
You people just doesn't work in a discussion.

Edit.

I do agree though. They could try to cut down military spendings. No one will ever invade the USA. Unless they aliens do arrive.

EFrd88lU0AYYvsa

I don't really understand the measurements on this graph, is it saying that Sweden's emissions are three times that of the United States?

I’ve always seen it this way. Real change can only occur when somebody figures out how to make a whole heap of money out of it.

Tesla is a perfect example and the influence it’s had on the industry is astounding. Pretty much every manufacturer now has an electric car, or is working toward an electric future.

We need more businesses like Tesla. One who creates large scale, cheap renewable energy. One who has a genuine alternative to single use plastics. One who makes vegetarian food for the masses; that tastes good and is a fair price.

There is companies working in these fields but at the moment (like Tesla was with the Roadster) they are filling a niche and not providing a real alternative. The scale, profitability and affordability for the consumer just isn’t there... yet.

Which is where governments can make a difference with a big chunk of funding, incentives and taxes. Creating jobs, reducing monopolies, funding better technology and improving the environment; by taking money straight out of companies who continue to pollute.

It's true though. I'm usually against sweeping generalizations, but come on, tell me that isn't true.

:rolleyes:

Don’t act stupid, and people won’t call you out on the stupidity. It’s pretty simple — and you’ve had more than enough times signing up that you should know this. Apparently not.

This graphic is ridiculous in the extreme. 70% of power in China comes from coal, and they're building between 300 to 500 new coal plants in the next 10 years or so.
My Guess is it's population weighted at a per capita basis.

My Guess is it's population weighted at a per capita basis.
Per wikipedia Germanwatch is an NGO which seeks to influence environmental policy, trade policy and "equity" between the developed North and developing South countries. Their graphic seems to be a kind of smorgasbord of criteria. They hold that NO country is meeting their criteria, which is why the top 3 spots on their chart are blank. It's nice to know there are still idealists somewhere in this world. :rolleyes: A reality check finds global investment in renewables is down 20%, and in China down 40%. They will have maybe 500 new coal plants in 10 years.

Looking for a new hobby? Try shoveling sand against the tide.

components_of_the_ccpi-181205.jpg

Last edited:
The U.S. has some of the strictest E.P.A. laws in the world and has for decades. What do you think is one of the leading causes of companies moving certain manufacturing plants out of this country is the cost of meeting U.S. e.p.a. standards is very high.

Also even vehicles, there are many vehicles sold throughout other parts of the world that either have never been sold in the U.S. or are no longer sold in the U.S. but still sold in other parts of the world again for decades because those vehicles fail to meet E.P.A. standards to be imported into this country but are considered acceptable in other parts of the world.

This country does not need to be involved in the "Paris climate accord" or any other BS little "make you feel good groups" to continue to make strides into cleaning up our environment including the total joke touted as the new green deal.

Doing good things can make one feel good. Honestly, try it.
Doing good deeds and feeling the positive rewards for doing so can be done just fine individually and does not require being in a "group" setting having others jerking you off and telling you how great you are!
But some people and by your response you must be one of those that need their ego's stroked by others to feel good about themselves, their actions or even it seems their beliefs.

Latest Posts

Back