Watch Live: 2022 Gran Turismo World Series Round 1

• Thread starter Famine
  • 71 comments
it was ok race but it showed how Unbalance the BOP is right now. Also I don’t understand polyphony digital with a mandatory pitstop but one tire compound it’s was Completely pointless for 14 lap race

Man, I know these are the best of the best in equal machinery, but… they should do shuffle races. That or draw straws for the Group C cars and have at it around N24, Daytona, La Sarthe, Deep Forest and finish off at Tsukuba. ;)

I have Miyazono for Manufactuers and Gallo for Nations.

If I've read and understood correctly, I'm in line for 500K ATM?

So how do i get my 500k?
Upon completion of the Round, it will be in the 'Gift' section of the garage i.e where the Roulette Tickets are usually found.

Not sure how soon after the event it will be paid.

I just watched the finals of an event where four professional esports teams were flown to Abu Dhabi for a week, along with a bunch of influencers, for a competition where the winning team got £40,000.

The peak concurrent viewership on the "grand final" stream was 202. When the event ended, it had a total of 767 unique viewers - although doubtless this will go up to 12,000 over the next two days just like the semi-finals did yesterday, and like half of their live streams (while the other half remain at 300-400) despite only having 2,900 subscribers.

I'm very glad GT doesn't do that.
I'm wondering if eSports is at the point where its fully reached oversaturation and its now not returning the numbers it did before (Especially from 2020 when the world pretty much was forced indoors).

4 hours on the views on the Gran Turismo Youtube are at 7,000 (for the English stream), forget paying the players I wonder how long Sony/PD can justify the costs of holding these events.
Putting it on a Saturday was a poor decision to begin with, as people are watching “real world” sports or doing whatever people normally do on weekends.

Additionally, it’s pre-recorded (less incentive to watch as its broadcast) and there’s no potential game update/DLC announcements expected to come from it to lure in the casual fans and players.

Also outside of the GT community platforms I don’t know how much awareness was raised about these broadcasts. I’m fairly well-embedded in the racing game community thanks to my work and even so I only caught on a few days ago that their events were happening. How is a casual fan, or somebody that doesn’t own Gran Turismo 7 supposed to know about this event unless it gets shoved into their feeds, and when it does, what reason is there for them to watch?

Finally (and this isn’t really Sony’s fault or anything, just the reality of 2022), it’s a virtual event and to a degree I think the appeal of those has been dwindling ever since the sim racing boom of 2020 died down in the second half of that year.

I’m sure the show itself and the racing was good, but as somebody peering from the outside in, there’s very little incentive to watch, whereas I tuned into the GT Sport events in 2018/19 long after I stopped playing that game (because of how appealing they were).

No, they're for all five events. We wrote an article about it:

I just watched the finals of an event where four professional esports teams were flown to Abu Dhabi for a week, along with a bunch of influencers, for a competition where the winning team got £40,000.

The peak concurrent viewership on the "grand final" stream was 202. When the event ended, it had a total of 767 unique viewers - although doubtless this will go up to 12,000 over the next two days just like the semi-finals did yesterday, and like half of their live streams (while the other half remain at 300-400) despite only having 2,900 subscribers.

I'm very glad GT doesn't do that.

If it’s the series I’m thinking of (saw a few tweets), a potential winning strategy for viewership would have been for them to simulcast it on both their owned channels and those of one of their biggest creators.

I would imagine if their events were shown on Jarno Opmeer’s Twitch/YouTube they’d have raked in tons of views (good for the sponsors) and probably gained a decent bunch of new followers as well.

Of all the esports players out there, Jarno’s one of the very few who have turned competitive driving into a very lucrative content creation business and I think more series need to leverage that in their early stages for awareness.

What I'm learning from that is that eSports in general aren't very popular unless you're participating in them 🙈
That’s historically been the case. Competitive play appeals to the 1%, and high level competitive play appeals to an even smaller percentage than that. Without massive resources or the right blend of highly popular competitors (like Jarno, like Max Verstappen, like Jimmy Broadbent etc.) it’s hard to bring in the casual sim racer because they’d rather play the game than watch a bunch of people play it faster than them.

Last edited:
Putting it on a Saturday was a poor decision to begin with, as people are watching “real world” sports or doing whatever people normally do on weekends.

Additionally, it’s pre-recorded (less incentive to watch as its broadcast) and there’s no potential game update/DLC announcements expected to come from it to lure in the casual fans and players.

Also outside of the GT community platforms I don’t know how much awareness was raised about these broadcasts. I’m fairly well-embedded in the racing game community thanks to my work and even so I only caught on a few days ago that their events were happening. How is a casual fan, or somebody that doesn’t own Gran Turismo 7 supposed to know about this event unless it gets shoved into their feeds, and when it does, what reason is there for them to watch?

Finally (and this isn’t really Sony’s fault or anything, just the reality of 2022), it’s a virtual event and to a degree I think the appeal of those has been dwindling ever since the sim racing boom of 2020 died down in the second half of that year.

I’m sure the show itself and the racing was good, but as somebody peering from the outside in, there’s very little incentive to watch, whereas I tuned into the GT Sport events in 2018/19 long after I stopped playing that game (because of how appealing they were).

If it’s the series I’m thinking of (saw a few tweets), a potential winning strategy for viewership would have been for them to simulcast it on both their owned channels and those one one of their biggest creators.

I would imagine if their events were shown on Jarno Opmeer’s Twitch/YouTube they’d have raked in tons of views (good for the sponsors) and probably gained a decent bunch of new followers as well.

Of all the esports players out there, Jarno’s one of the very few who have turned competitive driving into a very lucrative content creation business and I think more series need to leverage that in their early stages for awareness.

That’s historically been the case. Competitive play appeals to the 1%, and high level competitive play appeals to an even smaller percentage than that. Without massive resources or the right blend of highly popular competitors (like Jarno, like Max Verstappen, like Jimmy Broadbent etc.) it’s hard to bring in the casual sim racer because they’d rather play the game than watch a bunch of people play it faster than them.
It’s time PD and the entire sim racing world acknowledged the sport is just not that popular. Both with sim racers and wider motorsport fans.

That said, I’m sure actual in-person events will be much more engaging. Although the presentation has to be professional. There’s nothing worse than seeing cringeworthy presenters for an activity that already struggles for credibility & acceptance.

First things first. It was silly to show these events when F1 was on. I recall they did something similar on Le Mans weekend. If you want to encourage real world motorsport viewers, you need to be much more aware of the competition. It’s not good enough to go head-to-head after the likes of Jimmy Broadbent (and many others) pointed out this scheduling clash.

PD also need to understand one aspect that made earlier events popular. That is teasing new cars, tracks & features. I understand it maybe more difficult to implement & control when done remotely. But for Salzburg they need to make it a must watch event for all GT7 players.

PD should approach these in-person events as mini State of Play’s. Especially if we only get two per year.

Last edited:
That was a pretty nice race, well done Bonelli.
I really thought Beauvois would make it, he had a really good pace even with the soft tires being probably almost dead. Last year final he also did incredibly well pushing very far the tires, he is clearly good at it.
Gallo wasn't very classy to not bother finishing.

The Suzuki VGT was looking quite fun on that track, will give it a shot next time.

They’re streaming todays nations at the exact same time as the F1 starts. 🤦‍♂️
Almost every FIAGTC streams during the GT Sport era coincided with F1 weekends, and that's a rarely talked issue. I still remember the last two World Finals occurring during the weekends of the 2020 Bahrain GP and 2021 Saudi GP, respectively.

EDIT: Correction, the race that clashed with 2020 Bahrain GP was the Americas regionals.

Last edited:
Almost every FIAGTC streams during the GT Sport era coincided with F1 weekends, and that's a rarely talked issue. I still remember the last two World Finals occurring during the weekends of the 2020 Bahrain GP and 2021 Saudi GP, respectively.

EDIT: Correction, the race that clashed with 2020 Bahrain GP was the Americas regionals.
Here's a list of such clashes:

2018:
Nürburgring WT - May 10-13* (Spanish GP)
Salzburg WT - September 22
Nations Cup Asia-Oceania Final - October 6-7
Nations Cup European Final - October 19-20^ (U.S. GP)
Nations Cup Americas Final - October 31
World Finals - November 16-18

2019:
Paris WT - March 16-17 (Australian GP)
Nürburgring WT - June 21-22*^ (French GP)
New York WT - August 24-25
Salzburg WT - September 14-15
Tokyo WT - October 26-27 (Mexican GP)
World Finals - November 23-24

2020:
Sydney WT - February 14-16
EMEA Regionals - November 11
Americas Regionals - November 29 (Bahrain GP)
Asia Regionals - December 6 (Sakhir GP)
World Finals - December 18-20

2021:
Round 1 - June 6 (Baku GP)
Round 2 - July 11
Showdown - August 21-22
Round 3 - October 3
Round 4 - November 14 (Sao Paulo GP)
World Finals - December 3-5 (Saudi GP)

2022:
Round 1 - July 23-24 (French GP)
Showdown - July 30-31 (Hungarian GP)
Round 2 Manufacturers - September 25
Round 2 Nations - October 9 (Japanese GP)
Round 3 Manufacturers - October 23 (U.S. GP)
Round 3 Nations - October 30 (Mexican GP)
World Finals - November 24-27

*Part of Nürburgring 24 Hours weekend.
^Events did not occur on the Sunday of the respective GP.

Last edited:
Not allowed, also not allowed any personal sponsors.
I meant new game, new look.

When I see red shirts. :lol:

2t4jjf.jpg

Jimmy and the other commentator need to play the game before saying stupids things like: The drivers are setting their traction control and brake balance (not available)..... :cheers: ...... but Fuel map for sure .

Just watched it. Filthy driving from Bonelli, Gallo, and Fraga. Terrible advert for the game but very appropriate.
According to the commentators they still need to learn the new tyre model, like Gallo was running soft until they broke.
I dont know if he did that for a joke, but certainly a player at that level should have more understanding on tyre wear.
This creates a sense of gamers vs normal people debate.

Last edited:
B.beauvois french

So that's what happened to Beauvois. Is that kerb bug a known thing? (on that track?)

He must have been super disappointed to loose P1 that way, good on him for the levelheaded tweet👍

I would have appreciated for the video of the event to be a bit more transparent on that issue.
Clearly they tried to brush it under the carpet by not showing the crash.
At that time I thought it was strange to not see P1 going off track, but thought it was just poor editing...

In the post-race interview Bonelli referred to Beauvois as "Baguette". Talk about adding insult to injury!

KCR
So that's what happened to Beauvois. Is that kerb bug a known thing? (on that track?)

He must have been super disappointed to loose P1 that way, good on him for the levelheaded tweet👍

I would have appreciated for the video of the event to be a bit more transparent on that issue.
Clearly they tried to brush it under the carpet by not showing the crash.
At that time I thought it was strange to not see P1 going off track, but thought it was just poor editing...

I've watched the clip a few times and I honestly can't say for sure that's a glitch.

Beauvois is braking and turning left when he goes over the curb, the car gets some lift off the curb which would cause a loss of traction. The front left wheel appears to maintain traction, leading to the hard left spin. The only question is whether or not the car should have got that much air off the curb.

Last edited:
The curb glitch is a known issue. In the round 6 nations cup, I experienced the glitch at least once in every race, costing me valuable points 😡

I can't remember the event but there was a supposed curb glitch in a previous Finals. After watching that I'm beginning to understand why the viewership is going down.

In the post-race interview Bonelli referred to Beauvois as "Baguette". Talk about adding insult to injury!
Beauvois's GT7 profile literally says "I'm Mr Baguette" so clearly he doesn't mind, and probably was more an affection mark from Bonelli than an insult.

The curb glitch is a known issue. In the round 6 nations cup, I experienced the glitch at least once in every race, costing me valuable points
I couldn't make that race, I just did the CE on Watkins Glen but didn't hit this issue.
It would have annoyed me to no end to hit it in the Nation Cup - even if there's literally nothing at stake in my case.

I've watched the clip a few times and I honestly can't say for sure that's a glitch.
The way the car suddenly spins feels a bit extreme I'd say. The kerb are very gentle in that chicane.
His tires were likely completely dead by that time, but even so doesn't look quite normal / expected behavior.
Plus, the video didn't touch on that at all which is rather fishy.

Honest question, what makes this a glitch and not just taking too much curb (and maybe some grass) with too much steering angle, too much throttle, an unsettled car, or tires that are too worn? My experience is it's pretty predictable that taking too much curb can result in these spins.

edited to add: To be clear, I feel for him. But this happens in this game.

Last edited:
Back