Watch Volkswagen Prepare the ID R for a Nurburgring Time Attack

I wonder what's the top speed of this thing...anyway I dont see it smashing the 919 Evos record but it will more than likely beat the Aventador SVJ. I'm thinking it will run around 6:20-6:30, depending on its straight line speed on the back straight.

I wonder what's the top speed of this thing...anyway I dont see it smashing the 919 Evos record but it will more than likely beat the Aventador SVJ. I'm thinking it will run around 6:20-6:30, depending on its straight line speed on the back straight.
I'd say somewhere between 300-330 kmh. With the massive amount of aero and 670 hp I don't see it being much faster than that.

It has been mentioned in the article ........ that wing. :eek:

Ah, N24 means Nürnburg 24 hours. Didn't know that.

I wonder what's the top speed of this thing

I'd say somewhere between 300-330 kmh.
I think it topped out at 240 km/h at Pikes Peak. They've probably changed the reduction ratio for this run though.
If I had to guess I'd say 280 km/h.

Edit: Remember, this thing doesn't have gears so changing the reduction ratio a lot in order to facilitate a very high top speed will hamper acceleration everywhere except for maybe 3 places; the final part of the run down to Schwedenkreutz, the bottom of the Fuchsrohre and on the Dottinger Hohe.
I doubt it will top out going up the hill from Bergwerk. But who knows, the acceleration on this thing is mental.

Last edited:
Looks very comfortable inside

volkswagen-s-i-d--r--3_800x0w.jpg

A better look at the small and modest rear wing.

volkswagen-tunes-aer-2_800x0w.jpg

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/volkswagen/2018-volkswagen-id-r-pikes-peak-ar180438.html

It's Nordbergring actually ;)
Huh? :confused:

I know of two ways to write it:

1. Nürnburgring
  2. Nuerburgring
I have never heard of the Nordbergring. Sarcasm maybe? I guess it's sarcasm.

For your viewing pleasure:

Full lap – ID.R record-breaking run on the Nordschleife

It tops out on the "Döttinger Höhe" (!!) at 242-250 km/h (150-155 mp/h)
The "Top-Speed" however is made just at the end of "Schwedenkreuz" with 272 km/h (169 mp/h)

Random Facts:
- The ID.R isn't a top speed car... it never was...
- The Top-Speed on the "Döttinger Höhe" was reached about 300m after the last "Galgenkopf" turn. Leaving it with ~225 km/h (140 mp/h) already...
- The ID.R skips the "Caracciola Karussell" on the outside, for obvious reasons...
- The 2nd "small Karussell" is not skipped.
- The ID.R is manned from the top! (Timestamp 7:27)

Last edited:
Is anyone else blown away by the recent ring times in almost any class? We have FWD hatches doing sub 7:40's etc...it's insane.

Considering how low its top speed is, it must be pulling all that time in braking/cornering/acceleration. Pretty amazing. I'd love to see the lap telemetry overlaid with the 919 Evo to see where the differences are.

I admit I had flashbacks to Gran Turismo 2 and dominating every race I could enter with the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak car :D

Looks like the ID.R is going after another record in September, this time in China on the 6.8-mile, 99-turn Tianmen Shan Big Gate Road... although there isn't actually a record to be broken.

VW are using the ID.R as a rolling billboard ahead of the company's ID range launch in China in 2020.

8b7241617d7a3ba95b09b5acc0495087.jpg

The car will be sporting a "lucky" livery for the run.

idr_china_studio_topview_v1.jpg

idr_china_studio_detail_closeupv1.jpg

Back