Please select your two (2) favourite videos:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
WDS125-DeepForest.jpg

Please read the following section carefully. Failure to comply with the rules may result in your video not being shown in the final poll.

Rules/Structure:
  • WDS Theme/location given on Saturday or Sunday.
  • Entrants have 1 week to perform and capture their drift. NO IDENTIFYING MARKS. You may add music to your video.
  • Drift should be captured on entrant's choice of track cam or dive cam, as well as with the chase cam + display. *NEW* 09/10/06 Failure to at least show the chase view+display will result in your video not being shown in the final poll - NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • Entrants will upload their videos to YouTube. Entrants will not post their videos in the thread themselves.
  • Entrants will PM me the YouTube link to their video before the next Sunday. All that is necessary is the URL. It should look similar to the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dl49BbZi6Q
  • Please do not disclose your car choice or make comments about your run that would make it easy for others to identify.
  • A poll is constructed after the deadline passes (usually Sunday, unless I'm very busy).
  • There will be 1 week of voting to determine a winner.
  • The winner selects a theme & location for a future WDS.
Polling Rules:
  • I am going to check the checkbox enabling multiple votes per voter. I WILL ALLOW 2 VOTES PER PERSON, NO MORE. If you vote for more than two vids I will not count your input in the final tally (if it's done by accident please PM me and I'll make a note of it).
  • I will not count people's votes for their own videos. Even if you feel your vid is the strongest please vote for what you feel are the second and third best.
  • *NEW* 09/09/06 If there is obvious tampering with the poll results, [for example: asking your friends to vote for your video, etc], you may either have votes deducted in the final tally or may be excluded from the poll altogether. If it becomes a common occurrence I may suspend future WDS entries as well.
  • There will be two Honourable Mentions each week:
    • The entrant who won the right to pick the theme/location (ie. the winner three weeks ago).
    • The entrant who won the previous WDS event.
    If clips are submitted by these individuals, they will be placed in a special HM's section of this post, and will not be placed in the poll.
  • If there is a tie for first I will ask one for the theme and the other for the location of a future WDS. (Hopefully there will be no 3-way ties)
If anyone has any questions or suggested changes to this format please PM me about it.

This Week's Challenge:

Deep Forest turns 2 through 6 - forwards or reversed.

Theme:
This is a GHOST BATTLE. You must complete the section while either leading or trailing the ghost of a previous run. The ghost may be the same car as the non-ghosted one, or may also be a different car.

Special Rule: Passing is permitted, but you may NOT drive into/inside/through the ghost car.

There are no limits on the car(s) you can drive, or on the amount of tuning you can do.

You may choose to do the section of track in either direction. ie - from point A to B (an uphill touge) or B to A (downhill touge).

A chase view + display is still required for the non-ghosted car. For that reason it is probably to your advantage to follow the ghost car, so both will be visible from that view.

If you are unsure about anything necessary for this competition, such as how to obtain a ghost replay, how to drift against one, or how to record your run, please read post 19. If anything is still unclear after reading that post, please ask your question in this thread.

Deadline:
2 week deadline for the holidays.

Video links are due by 23:59:59 Central Time (GMT-6:00) on Saturday, December 31st.

Entrants:
Boundary Layer
Geoff
Biggamehit
360-D1
H_S2000
Ske
Drift2XS
DG5 DRIFTER
SammiTougeGirl
LGforce
Sheron

Please post if planning to partake in the festivities, just so I know how many links to expect.
👍

Note: There will be no HM's for this week, and the results will not be entered into the WDS Unofficial Rankings Sheet

Results:

PHP:
1st Video 3  Sheron           - 4 Votes
--- Video 5  Drift2XS         - 4 Votes
3rd Video 4  DORIFTO_N()B     - 3 Votes
4th Video 1  SammiTougeGirl   - 2 Votes
5th Video 2  360-D1           - 1 Vote

Here's an example of the sort of thing I'm talking about. I pieced it together from a few very old clips sitting on my computer (one of them you may have seen in IDM Video Mag 2) - they're from June 2005, when I was still using the DS2. The track is Autumn Ring Mini, not DF, but it still shows the general idea.

Please note that a chase view + display is absent from the demo simply because I did not record that view way back when I did this. A chase view + display for the non-ghosted vehicle is required for your final entry for WDS 12.5

i'm in !
i saw people doing this kind of thing but i' ve never tryied myself at it...
i bet it ' s going to be hella hard to have something good but i guess that 2 weeks will be enough.
good luck to all!

damn i got time since ill be on base during Christmas.I have not attemped ghost runs before so this will be my first time.

Sign Me Up Sir. (thats what i said to the Air Force Recruiter lol)

i have seen ur xlink really good, but it would kinda rule every one eles out becuase many people dont play on Xlink for one reason or another.

The event is called "...And Play With Yourself". I'd like to keep it to drifting with ghosts only for the poll just so everyone has equal opportunity.

If you'd like to turn in an xlink run I'll gladly enter it as an HM, but I don't think I'll put it in the poll.

This sounds very interesting, neat idea BL. Woohoo, was wondering when I would get to drift in the forest, love that track. Sign me up B to the L. :D

Funny continuation of the title. :lol:

Maybe something like this: :embarrassed:
heh, I really never figured out what that one was for.

Entrants list updated again. Glad people are taking to this one - I wasn't 100% sure that you all would.

edit: oh, and thanks to those who have rated my threads.
*vicotry jig for new QP badge*

ummm i just did a run and saved it.
But i cant work out how to view the ghost and replay together.
Can you do it or do you have to record after you do the run?

Sorry, I probably should have explained this earlier.

Firstly, your runs must be done in practice mode. Photomode will not work.

You have to complete at least 1 full lap to be able to save a ghost replay. When you do this, only your fastest lap since the start of the practice session is saved, so if you've done multiple complete laps be sure that the lap you want to save was the fastest of the session. An incomplete lap will not be saved.

My recommendation is to take the pace down several notches before and after the indicated track section, and maybe sit at the finish line a few seconds just to give yourself the opportunity to reset your ghost if you wish to. If you wind up with a ghost you can't get rid of, you can just exit out of the practice session and start over.

Once your ghost replay has been saved, take your second car into a practice session and then load your ghost replay. Turn on your ghost car display (if it was off) and start trying to tandem with it.

I'm about 98% sure that in this session if you turn a time quicker than the ghost car, the ghost may be reset simply by reloading it. But, if I'm wrong, just exit out of the practice session and start over in a new one.

In the past I've found it much easier if the ghost is a slower car than the one you're currently driving, and you chase it instead of lead it - it means it won't get away from you (unless of course you spin or go off track), and you can see where it is to avoid passing through it.

When you're recording your replay, you must do it immediately after performing your run. I do not believe you can load a ghost onto a saved replay in the replay theater.

When you're recording your replay, you must do it immediately after performing your run. I do not believe you can load a ghost onto a saved replay in the replay theater.

Aww snap, I probably can't join then as my PC and TV are in different rooms... unless I set up my wheel on my PC table and run the PS2 through DScaler or something... Dunno if that'll be too weird :crazy:

I've got some time off, I think I'll jump into this one. :D

Hey BL, do you think we could have the deadline extended. I have had no time to get a video done. I really want to enter this. Maybe another week. :D

I am sure I am not the only one that has been too busy lately to get this done. :sly:

Hey BL, do you think we could have the deadline extended. I have had no time to get a video done. I really want to enter this. Maybe another week. :D

I am sure I am not the only one that has been too busy lately to get this done. :sly:

:lol: once again we' are on the same boat :cheers:

i ' ll try anyway to have something done within a few days.

Damn thats great..i'm doing that sometimes for exercise..but now..i cant!!
My memmory card with all the data of GT4 has been lost..and i dont have another,neither back up of them....So no entry...:grumpy:

ok, back from the Christmas/New Year's break. I expected to be around a little more the past two weeks, but Dad surprised us with a trip.

Anyways, just getting things sorted out since I moved back into my dorm today. I hope to get the WDS back on track this weekend. Sorry for the delays.

Back