Weekly Drift Series - General Conversation Thread

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
WDS_banner_02.jpg

This thread is dual purpose:
1. This thread may be used to suggest and discuss potential changes to the WDS rules and structure.
2. This thread may be used to suggest WDS themes .

---------------------------------​

At the bottom of this post is a collection of locations, car selection criteria, and special criteria approved for use in the Weekly Drift Series. It may be used by event winners to help put together a theme for an upcoming WDS event.

Anyone who has won so far will know that I am a little bit picky when it comes what I will and won't allow in the theme so I'm also going to post some basic guidelines to adhere to if you want to suggest anything to be added to the theme bank.

Theme Guidelines
Car Selection may be limited by:
  • Year of production
  • Nationality
  • Manufacturer (multiple manufacturers required - no single manufacturer events)
  • Drivetrain (AWD, FR, MR, or RR only)
  • Engine displacement
  • Number of cylinders (but NOT arrangement as we discovered in WDS10)
  • Wheelbase
  • Stock weight
  • Power before or after tuning
  • Tire selection
  • Arcade stock only
  • New or Used
  • Price (for car only, not for tuning)
  • etc, etc
Two or three criteria may be set, provided that it still leaves a fair number of cars open and does not limit the entrants creativity too severely.

Location guidelines:
  • 3 corners or less is preferred. 4+ permitted under special circumstances only
  • The corners should be reasonably close to the starting location on practice or photomode.
    • corners in 1st or 3rd sector of a lap are preffered for that reason.
  • the corners do not necessarily have to be linkable

Other Criteria:
  • Ghost Drifting
  • Traffic Drifting
  • etc, etc

If you would like to suggest any possible car critieria, locations, or complete themes (Car + Location), please post below. If you post a complete theme, maybe give it a name so I don't have to stress my imagination trying to make up a name for it later if someone wants to use it.

If I believe your suggestions are suitable for a WDS event I will insert a link to it in this post.

This may be a great opportunity for people who have not yet won in the WDS to get their ideas out - with the possibility that a future winner will like the idea and suggest it for an upcoming event.

Suggested Car Criteria:
  1. Japanese Manufacturer, Stock Power > 250hp -- from BL
  2. 80's cars, tuned with power output < 400hp -- from Drift2XS
  3. Power output < 300hp after tuning -- from articzap
  4. Touring & GT Cars -- from Ske
  5. No American or Japanese Manufacturers -- from articzap
  6. Stock weight less than 1000kg, no race models. Tuning permitted. -- from Drift2XS

Suggested Locations:
  1. Grand Valley East Reverse, Turns 1 & 2 -- from BL
  2. Deep Forest, Last three corners -- from Drift2XS
  3. Tsukuba Wet, First four corners -- from articzap
  4. Suzuki East, Turns 6 through 8 -- from Ske
  5. Apricot Hill, Turns 10, 11, 12 (90* left sweeper + chicane) -- from Drift2XS

Other Suggested Criteria:
  1. Final Turn of Midfield Reverse to the First Tunnel Entrance - Manji the Straight -- from articzap

Suggested Complete Themes:
  1. The Gentlemens Agreement -- from BL
  2. 80's Trip Through the Forest -- from Drift2XS
  3. Rainy Days and "U" -- from articzap
  4. Places Inbetween -- from articzap
  5. A Piece of Apricot -- from Drift2XS

ok... I thought this would have got a few replies today. Maybe I'll start things off to get the ball rolling a little.

Theme: The Gentlemen's Agreement
Car Suggestion:
Japanese Manufacturer
Stock Power greater than or equal 250hp
Tuned models of cars are permitted if the base model fulfils the above two criteria

Location Suggestion:
Grand Valley East Reverse, Turns 1 & 2

I thought of one that might be cool. :)

Theme: 80's Trip Through The Forest.

Car Suggestion: Any car from the 1980's with power level less than 400bhp.
May be tuned as long as power level stays under 400.

Track Suggestion: Last three corners of Deep Forest

I will try and think up some more. Another great addition to the WDS BL. 👍

I also made a track map, just to be crazy. :D

dfwirelargego7.jpg

Theme: Rainy Days And "U"

Car Suggestion: Cars less then 300 hp AFTER tuning.

Track Suggestion: Tsukuba Wet

First U turn to Second U turn

Those both work. 👍

The Tsukuba section is, in my view, 4 turns - but it is a little boring if you only do the chicane and hairpin. As well, the inclusion of turn 1 makes it reasonable to ask for the loading screen to check car hp.

I like the map idea Drift2XS. Maybe it's not a bad idea for me to put together maps of the sections as they are suggested, just for further clarity.
...another 👍

Cars:
Touring/GT cars
(GT300, GT500, WTCC, LMGT, V8 Supercars, no prototypes)

suzuka_east_section.jpg

Places in Between

Cars:
NO American Cars or Japanese Cars

Track:

Midfield Reverse
The last corner of midfield reverse to the tunnel after the 2nd corner. Point of this one is to see who can make a stright away there canvas.

The touring car idea would be difficult, but the track section he suggested is very good.

@ articzap:
I like the car criteria, no problems there.

The track section is very original... I'm not sure how popular an event it would be if ever a theme were picked that was primarily about manji-ing.
I'm going to put your suggestion into the 'Other Suggested Criteria' because it isn't really conventional.

Also, I'm a little disappointed that you would choose to break up those last two turns at Midfield Reverse - some good linking opportunity there.
:indiff:

Here's another for you BL. :) Thought this might be an interesting section.

Theme: A Piece of Apricot.

Car Suggestion: Stock weight less than 1000kg, no race models. Tuning permitted.

Track Suggestion: Corners 9, 10 and 11 of Apricot Hill.

Map​
apricotwirelargers0.jpg

👍

@ articzap:
test track? absolutely not :irked:

@ Drift2XS.
That's a good one. I have to suggest a small change on the car criteria though. There's no way of me knowing the car's final weight after tuning - it'd be best to cap the initial weight at 1000kg instead.
Also, it'd require the run to be done on practice mode with no hotlapping so the loading screen can be shown at the start of the replay to check hp - and I like to avoid asking people for that when I can.
I'd suggest dropping the hp restriction, since i think very few lightweights can be tuned to much more than 300hp anyways (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Final car criteria might look like:
Stock weight less than 1000kg, no race models. Tuning permitted.

Edit the post with the suggested changes, or a different formula of your own, and I'll toss it in the first post.
👍

Sorry about that, I was kind of thinking that the car selection might be a bit annoying after I posted it. It has been changed. Thanks for the suggestion BL. 👍

That test track idea is insane, can anyone actually drift that whole corner anyways.

okay, change of topic.

Due to voting problems that have been becoming more and more apparent in the WDS and the heated arguments it has sparked between entrants, I'm wondering what changes (if any) do people think are needed in the rules or structure of the series.

I'd really like to hear everyone's ideas regardless of if they are relevant to this particular problem or not.

One idea I was thinking about while I was out for Christmas/New Year's was hosting videos on my own webspace. This would at least remove the possibility of people checking Youtube id's, and scoping out entries before the poll is posted (I've always seen this as a huge hole in the structure of the WDS).
So instead of uploading to youtube, entrants would upload to something like http://www.box.net, or similar, and send me that link to their file. Then I'd download it and upload it to my own server.

The video post would be something similar to:
http://www.idm.bgj.ca/blog/2006/10/19/pursuit-video.html

Admittedly though, this would make the polling more awkward. It might mean having two browser windows open - one to view the videos on a page I would setup, and one to view the GTP poll. But it would permit better video quality.

You could have people who are going to enter regularly create a new youtube account with a name that wouldn't link them to GTP. Probably not a good idea as it might make people not want to enter because of the hassle.

I'd thought about something similar to that: Just setting up a WDS user for everyone to upload videos to, but that doesn't keep videos hidden until the poll opens (quite the opposite actually).

Both my idea and yours still leave open the possibility of 'scouting' prior to the poll. I don't know if that's been going on, but it's always been a concern of mine.

It doesn't keep the videos hidden but if they're all uploaded under the same name then no one can tell anybodys video apart from the others.

It doesn't keep the videos hidden but if they're all uploaded under the same name then no one can tell anybodys video apart from the others.

I like how you think but each video can be easily recognizable by the person who made it.

The only idea I can think of is making the competition more restrictive. Like same cars and lap + same name uploading. But more restrictions would be less participants.

i like the idea about using your own page to upload the videos too, but youtube is good because you can view all previous videos unless the user deletes them.

If it were done on my own webspace, I'd be the only one with access to the files. Videos would be hosted permanently. If done this way I'd have to be a little more picky about encoding, since I only have decent WP plugins for streaming wmv, avi, and flv, but I think that is what most people use anyways.

I've got more than enough webspace and bandwidth to do it. (225 GB storage & 2.5 TB bw/mo)

I think this whole thing is being taken way more seriously than it needs to be. This was never about the competition side of it. Putting these restrictions and whatnot will make it even more political than it already seems to be. For me its always been about improving and being able to showcase those improvements. It saddens me that such issues have even arose.

Also

Theme: Slippery in Seattle.

Car Suggestion: Any car that has at least one door and at least one wheel.

Track Suggestion: The hammer at the bottom of the hill in Seattle

Map​
seattlecx7.jpg

I'd say do the hosting on your site and talk to an admin about getting embed allowed from your site so that you can still embed a link.

I totally agree with TRi. I say keep it as it is, it is great the way it is BL. 👍

The last poll was the only one that seemed to get a bit off track, other than that this competition has been great.

Also, is there still time to get a video in for WDS 12.5? I really want to get something done, just never got round to it. :D

how about you do suzuki east in reverse like last year as in 2006 d1gp instead of starting from the starting line on the map BL created we start from the finish line.

LOL @ loon, thats soo fun huh?
My sugestion:
Pre-lenium
Corner: Suzuka Spoon corner
Cars: any car before the year 2000 and under 500hp stock
every car, including race models

Back