• 250 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
Welcome to GTP8, the eighth "version" of GTPlanet. I've worked and re-worked this new style for a little over 10 months now, and it is a great pleasure to finally see it out the door! I hope that you all enjoy it as much as I do. I stayed with our traditional color scheme to give the site a sense of familiarity and homeliness, while also changing things up enough to provide a big breath of fresh air. The new design is written in valid [wikipedia]XHTML[/wikipedia] 1.0 Transitional code for maximum flexibility, accessibility, and speed. Fellow web designers will appreciate a heavily [wikipedia]CSS[/wikipedia]-based design, and the new layout on the main site was created without the use of tables.

And now, for a few other changes that you will find around the site:
  • GTPLANET GAME GUIDES I have moved all of the GT-related content of our main site onto [wikipedia]MediaWiki[/wikipedia] software, and renamed it the GTPlanet Game Guides. This is the first-ever Gran Turismo [wikipedia]Wiki[/wikipedia] site, and allows anyone to create or edit the pages, with the ultimate goal to create the largest and most detailed free Gran Turismo resource in the world. This is a huge step in a new direction for GTPlanet and the online GT community at large. Nobody has ever attempted anything like this, and I believe it will prove to become an invaluable resource as the next games in the series draw near. Together, we can do it!
  • NEW SEARCH FEATURE I've tightly integrated Google search with into our new design. This will hopefully result in more accurate results for everyone, especially new users searching for more general terms. I am making use of the new Google Sitemaps to ensure that new posts are included in results as soon as possible.
  • NEW ADMINISTRATION FOR THE LEADERBOARDS I'll be first to admit that I haven't done a stellar job of policing the GTP Leaderboards. A software upgrade finally allows me to get some help from our most experienced online racers who can better manage this ever growing feature of GTP.
  • THE GTPLANET STORE We're moving beyond GTP Gear. Within the next few days, automotive books, games, DVD's, and other accessories will be made for sale through affiliate programs in the all-new GTP Store.
  • THE GTPLANET MAGAZINE Within the next few weeks, I will begin soliciting editors for the GTP Magazine, a blog that highlights areas of interest to GTP visitors on a daily basis. More information will come on this later, please do not contact me about becoming an editor.
  • NEW REPUTATION SYSTEM By clicking on the red check mark in the top right-hand corner of posts, you can rate them as "good" or "bad". Users who receive enough positive post votes will receive a "Quality Posts" badge below their avatar. This is designed to reward only the highest quality posters, and to help them lead others by example. You can read more about this new feature in our forum Help section.
  • NEW AJAX FEATURES As you have probably already noticed, some actions occur instantly on the page, without requiring it to be reloaded (i.e. Quick Reply). This is thanks to a slew of new [wikipedia]AJAX[/wikipedia] features in the latest version of vBulletin.
  • NEW FORUM ORGANIZATION You will find the Gran Turismo category of forums has been re-organized, as well as the On-Line Racing forum moved up to its own category (and re-organized as well). The Gaming forums have also been shuffled around, and the Gaming Reviews forum has been merged with Gaming in General.
  • NEW CURRENT EVENTS FORUM The long-awaited Current Events forum is here! Everyone will now feel much more open to create threads about current news stories that may not have been appropriate for the Opinions forum. A new bot user will keep the forum updated, posting news stories every few hours from an [wikipedia]RSS[/wikipedia] feed.
  • NEW VBCODE New vB Code allows you to link text in your posts to [wikipedia]Wikipedia[/wikipedia] entries. The new code can be accessed in the post editor by clicking on the new Wikipedia icon. Learn more about how to use the new code in our Help section.
  • GTPREMIUM IMPROVEMENTS GTPremium members can now save a total of 1500 private messages, up from the previous 1000. Their profile pictures can also be 400x400 pixels in size and 150 KB's. Also, Premium avatars can now be 120x120 pixels. Premium users also have the ability to disable their "Premium" badge in their posts as well as their user titles by changing their Profile Settings.
  • COMING SOON Keep an eye out for GTP Start, a service similar to HandyHomepage, but with a heavy dose of GTP-related features!
With so many changes taking place over such a long period of time, I am sure to have forgotten a few forums or features I might have promised over the past year and a half. So, please remember, I am only human - just because I didn't include something you wanted does not mean that I do not like you or your idea. :P

With that said, it's 5:00 AM and I really have to get to bed after three straight days of work on GTP8. I hope you guys enjoy it and I look forward to your feedback! 👍

POST YOUR FEEDBACK IN THIS THREAD.

PLEASE REPORT ERRORS, BUG REPORTS, AND OTHER PROBLEMS HERE ONLY.
(Please do not report problems to me via PM or e-mail.)

Looks good Jordan! I think i refreshed the minute the forum became available.. If there is one thing i've noticed though, it's the lack of a header. Is this normal?

EDIT: It seems to be fixed! Looks GREAT. So does the main page.. Very well done Jordan!!!

Superb. Jordan, I’m sure that I won’t be alone in congratulating you on a job well done. I look forward to exploring the finer details of GTP8, though in the meantime you should certainly get some sleep.

Thanks again for your tireless efforts.

*Anticipating Anchor Man’s delivery of Yahoo news.*

Looks awesome Jordan, I like the fullscreen look. :) Hopefully all these features will add to the GTP community.

Haha this reputation system is awesome.

This looks much more clean than the previous one :) I like it. The reputation system might be debateable and someways open for exploiting, but what i've seen so far, this is a nice and mature community. (atleast when comparing to various FPS communites including BF2 and HL2)

Looks good, take alittle while to get used too all the new features. That must have been a lot of effort, now you can take a break 👍

BTW quick edit is great.

Nicely done Jordan! I am very impressed with the new look and I can’t wait to explore GTP8! :D

And Anchor Man is freaking awesome! :P

EDIT: Testing quick edit. This is a very cool feature!

Again, well done, and thank you for your efforts over the past 3 days! :cheers:

Congrats Jordan on GTP8.
Will go and check out all the remodeled items you listed here.

AMG

WOW this looks great! I been reading ur update posts on the progress of the update and i know you have put immense amounts of man hours into making GTP what it is now and think you should be commended for your efforts!

I personally thank you for all the effort and time you put into this site making it the best GT community out there.

Now.......GO GET SOME SLEEP MAN....... you must be rather tired.

Looks very very good Jordan - Hats off and Congrats on a job well done !... Now go get some sleep !...

[Edit:] Am I the only Premium Member with Ads ?...

[Edit2:] And I DID log out, cleared my cookies, and logged in again...

[Edit3:] Not really, but Quick Edit is AWESOME ! :)

I really like the look of GTP8! Looks much cleaner than it did before. Just having a look around just now and seeing what's new. The features you mention in your first post seem interesting.

A good job well done (and nevermind the delays, they were definitely worth it, mate 👍 )

edit: Just noticed the "quick edit" box that was mentioned before. Very useful.

Very cool.

All your hard work really shows through - this looks awesome! :)

I can't wait to check all the cool, new features.

Well done Jordan, it's great. Well worth the wait. 👍

This definitely deserves a VERY big 👍 as it looks so much more "pro" than the previous one. Congratulation for finishing it and thanks!

I hate to be a pain Jordan, but some pages are not valid. Perhaps none are, I haven’t checked. :guilty:

Wait, the main forums page is… :D

So I’m not sure if you can fix that or if it’s part of the vBulletin software.

Jordan, the site looks amazing. Thankyou for all your hard work.

Sorry to do this :nervous: but, there is one small spelling mistake in your post. I guess it's a heavy dose? ;)

Thanks again 👍

Jordan
Keep an eye out for GTP Start, a service similar to HandyHomepage, but with a heavy does of GTP-related features!

Really nice and the reputation system will hopefully increase the quality of posts even more. I also think that it can't be abused easily, at least that is my impression. Great work Jordan.

I like it Jordan, great job. 👍 Everything feels improves and all, and finally this forum has a 'credibility system' too. :)

Great work Jordan! It shows you have put alot of work into this. I'm sure all these new features will work great.

Specialized
No i got them too, i too signed out cleared cookies and signed back in, i pm'd Der Alta about this, i wasnt sure who else to pm
I get a sponsors post at the end of this thread saying "upgrade to remove this post".

G.T
Great work Jordan! It shows you have put alot of work into this. I'm sure all these new features will work great.

I get a sponsors post at the end of this thread saying "upgrade to remove this post".
Same one I get.. And a couple of ads in the first post of the thread as well....

Well this is rather pleasant! :D

I'm also getting ads at the end of my post, but I'm assuming that's because not everything is complete at this moment. I'm sure Jordan is aware of it and it's not exactly site-ruining... :D

Good job, my man!

Wow, the work done to this site is amazing... well done on your hard work Jordan, it paid off well 👍 👍

btw; love the GTP Magazine idea :)

Back