Welcome to GTP16: Dark Mode, Emojis, Reactions, Bookmarks, and So Much More...

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 356 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan
Welcome to a new GTPlanet!

This is the sixteenth major revision of GTPlanet and the most significant technical update in our website’s 20-year history; I am excited to finally share it with you all! Please report anything you find that looks broken or out-of-place and I’ll get around to fixing it as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience and understanding. 🙏

Now, let’s get to it. Here is a brief overview of everything new in the forums. (Note this list does not include all the updates to our new homepage feed and articles — check out that announcement here.)

Dark Mode 🌓

dark mode.png

One of the most-requested GTPlanet features of all time, “Dark Mode” is finally here!

I’ve gone all-out to create one of the most sophisticated implementations of “Dark Mode” that you’ll find anywhere on the internet (even the favicon will change colors in your browser 😎), and it’s designed to be quick and simple to use. To manage your theme setting, scroll to the bottom of any page. There, you’ll find three buttons:
  • “Auto”: The default mode matches your device or operating system’s settings and reacts to system settings changes in real time. For example, if you have your mobile device configured to switch between light and dark modes at certain times of day or in response to ambient lighting conditions, GTPlanet’s appearance will automatically change with it.
  • “Dark”: Always view GTPlanet in “Dark Mode”.
  • “Light”: Always view GTPlanet in “Light Mode”.
The mode that you set is stored in your web browser's memory, so if you always want to use Auto on your mobile and Dark on your desktop, just pick your settings and your preferences will be stored for each.

Please keep in mind that others will be using the site in both Light and Dark modes. Colorized text will be automatically adjusted to remain readable in Dark Mode. However, images cannot be adjusted, so if you post a PNG or GIF with a transparent background, it might become invisible or unreadable for users in other modes.

Emoji Support 🤩

You can now use over 3,500 emojis on GTPlanet. 😲

emoji.png

Insert them into your posts with your device or operating system’s built-in emoji keyboard, or use the powerful new emoji menu in the post editor to search for the exact expression or icon that you need.

You can also trigger the emoji quick insertion feature by typing a colon “:” and the name of the emoji you want to use. This will prompt an auto-completion menu (similar to the user mention system) which allows you to search for and insert emojis without ever moving your hands away from the keyboard. 🥳

Native emoji support and appearance differs across devices and operating systems. Some have support for the full Unicode emoji character set, while some are missing entire categories of emojis, like country flags 🇺🇸 (looking at you, Windows 10… 🙄). However, GTPlanet’s emoji implementation uses a standardized emoji set, so everyone can use all emojis regardless of their operating system and you can rely on a consistent appearance. 💯

After two decades of faithful service, our old “smilies” will finally be retired and retroactively converted into their emoji counterparts. You can still use the same familiar names to insert your favorite classic GTPlanet smilies, they will just look a bit different. The “GTP Flag” guy isn’t going anywhere, though. 🐐

:gtpflag:

Post Reactions 🤣

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.25.20 PM.png

More than five million “likes” have been handed out since the feature was introduced to GTPlanet in 2013, and now you can share even more reactions.

You can also now react to messages in private conversations. 🙌

New Post Editor and Formatting Options ✍️

The advanced post editor has been rebuilt from the ground up to help you take advantage of all the new post formatting controls and options.

• No more squinting at “BB code” tags! The most common tags — like quote boxes — are now rendered inside of the post editor itself.
  • In addition to BB code, you can now use limited Markdown syntax to format messages.
  • Insert “inline” spoiler tags, so you can hide individual words or phrases in your posts.
Table Support 😲

It’s easier than ever to share tabular data in your posts. Use the new post editor to insert multi-column tables — just keep in mind that fancy table you put together might not look the way you expect for users on mobile devices.

Feature NameCan you believe it?
Table SupportNo

GIPHY Integration 😻

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.29.22 PM.png

There’s nothing quite like finding that perfect GIF, is there? Just click the “GIF” button in the post editor to search GIPHY.com’s database of millions of reaction GIFs and insert them directly into your messages.

Link Previews 🔗

If you share a “raw” URL in your post, it will be automatically converted into a dynamic link preview. Link previews contain the page title and thumbnail of the linked page so others can get a better idea about what it contains before they click. Just paste a link into its own line and watch this feature work its magic once you submit your post.

(Note that this will not apply to old links posted before today, but you can edit older posts to trigger the preview functionality.)

Post Bookmarks 📚

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.31.57 PM.png

Save and organize notable posts that you find on GTPlanet in just a click.

Selecting the “bookmark” icon above any posts allows you to save it to your bookmarks collection along with a message and label. Labels allow you to organize the bookmarks you save for quick reference later.

To view your saved bookmarks, just click your account menu and then select the “Bookmarks” tab.

Profile Post & Comment Improvements 💁‍♂️

You can now upload attachments and images to profile posts — and comments! — with full message formatting controls.

Self-Service Account Name Changes (And New Name Change Policies) 🎭

Eligible users can now change their username in account settings, without filing a name change request with an administrator.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.38.07 PM.png

Moving forward, username changes are logged and a user’s username history can now be viewed on their profile. If name change history is available, a small “history” icon will be visible next to their username. Click on it to see all of their previous usernames over the past two years.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.43.35 PM.png

Eligible users can now change their name every 90 days, compared to the previous limit of once per year. Users with less than 10 posts can also now change their usernames in their account settings. Many new users register with typos or mistakenly reveal personal information in their usernames, then need help or create multiple accounts in an effort to rectify the error. This new policy will ease the burden from the moderation staff and simplify the process for new users.

Previously, name changes for Premium users were limited to once per year. As a result of this new automated system, name change periods are reset and all Premium users are eligible to change their names immediately.

Verified Users ✅

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.47.50 PM.png

As GTPlanet’s community has grown, we have attracted many high-profile users from the world of sim-racing.

Racing drivers, game developers, esports stars, accessory manufacturer representatives, and notable influencers regularly post in our forums, and now it will be easier to find them thanks to “verified” account badges on their posts and profiles.

Some of our verified accounts include:

• Thomas Jackermeier (@Fanatec...) - Fanatec / Endor AG CEO
  • Dom B. (@DomB_Fanatec) - Fanatec Community Manager
  • Ian Bell (@IanBell) - Founder of Slightly Mad Studios / Project CARS
  • Jimmy Broadbent (@Jimmy B) - YouTuber / FIA GTC Commentator
  • Steve Brown (@F4H Super GT) - YouTuber
  • Tom Brooks (@Tom) - Polyphony Digital Voiceover Artist / FIA GTC Commentator
  • Lewis Bentley (@mclarenLB) - IGTL Project Lead / FIA GTC Finalist
  • Martin Grady (@Tidgney) - YouTuber / FIA GTC and GT Academy Finalist
  • Nick McMillen (@GumballCGT) - GT Academy Champion
  • Igor Fraga (@Igor Fraga) - FIA GTC Champion
  • Mikail Hizal (@TRL LIGHTNING) - FIA GTC Champion

...and many more!

If you are notable in the sim-racing community at large or if you represent a company in the industry you may submit a request for verification.

Profile Background Pictures 🌅

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.53.33 PM.png

A new option exclusively for Premium users, you can now decorate your profile with a large background image.

Attachment Viewer 🖼

Images uploaded and inserted into posts as thumbnails can now more quickly be viewed through an all-new “lightbox”, which enlarges the images and allows you to swipe or click your way through all of the full-size images. This new lightbox has also been implemented in the media library.

Media Gallery Integration 📸

GTPlanet’s Media Gallery is now more tightly integrated with the forums.

New Media Gallery “categories” now automatically include all images posted within specific forums, including the Photomode forums for Gran Turismo Sport, Gran Turismo 6, and others. These new categories make it easy to quickly browse through all of the images posted in these forums, as thumbnails or as full-size images. Additional information is included with each image that allows you to quickly jump to the post in which it was uploaded to the forum.

This new integration allows individual images posted in the forums to have their own reactions and comments.

New Thread Types ❓

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.57.56 PM.png

Threads can now be specifically designated as “questions”.

“Question” threads allow users to “upvote” or “downvote” each response, and the thread starter can designate a specific reply as the “answer”. The “votes” are displayed in a new area to the right of posts on desktop screens and are displayed at the bottom of posts on mobile. Posts designated as the answer will be pinned directly below the original post, which remains at the top of each page of the thread.

Posts in question threads can be sorted by either the number of votes they have received or the order in which the replies were posted, like a regular thread. Just click on the controls near the page navigation to change the order. Initially, only specific sub-forums will have the “Question” thread format available.

Quick Thread Creation 💨

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 12.37.12 AM.png

Create new threads faster and easier with inline thread creation! Just click in the “Create new thread…” field at the top of any forum to start composing a new thread without leaving the page.