Welcome to GTP16: Dark Mode, Emojis, Reactions, Bookmarks, and So Much More...

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 356 comments
I haven't yet done enough on the updated site to notice any possible issues, but my early impression of the 'new look' is šŸ‘. It's clean and looks good. Really appreciate the dark mode option too!

Last edited:
Latest bug fixes:
  • Dark mode: read/unread thread and node color adjustments
  • Dark mode: visited post link colors fixed
  • Dark mode: poll results colors refined, "who voted" results properly colorized
  • Light mode: "Insert Multi Quote" pop-up window properly colorized
  • Light mode: "Invite more" conversation pop-up window properly colorized
  • Post editor: links underlined for more visual consistency
  • Post editor: preview post formatting updated for more accurate rendering
  • Content embeds: over 120 sites and services now supported
  • Content embeds: spacing around embedded elements adjusted
  • Other: moderator tools updated
New feature:
  • New profile options: Add links to your Twitch and YouTube channels

You might want to check these Windows font settings. It's probably something in there:

For reference, in FIrefox's settings I had the box for "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of your selections above" checked. Unchecking it and reloading the page fixed the bold/not bold issue.

I have to agre with some of the other guys, who are not so happy with the change.

I uasely check the front page many times every day. At first i thought the website was broken or something was error when loading the page.

On my screen there is like 2/3 empty space, and the articles only fill like 1/3 of the screen in the buttom left.

I Use Google Chrome magnifyed to 150 %.

It really dont look very good. But I understand its new and improvements can happen. I just hope someone is working on it, because honestly this is the kind of design that can drive away users from a website really fast :-(

Here is how it looks on my end now.

GTP_New_Front.PNG

I'm curious, what are all the levels of membership? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing it right, but the phrase under my username is 'Well Known Member'.

Jerome

I'm curious, what are all the levels of membership? I'm not sure if I'm phrasing it right, but the phrase under my username is 'Well Known Member'.

Jerome
I know @Dennisch is 'Humongous Member'; that may or may not have been his own doing.

The new UX adjustments are very nice

I noticed some more inconsistencies in the dark mode

The Followed Threads page (and I think all pages with threads) has a gray background:

1624391613198.png

Meanwhile, the New Posts page has a black background, which makes the Replies stat hard to read:

1624391686462.png

Remember people.
There are bound to be bugs.

You can only do so much testing with a virtual space or a separate webpage.
Its not until you get 1,000s of people using a product with various set ups of browser, OS, Monitor sizes, resolutions, system fonts do issues crop up

Man, i really dont like the new home page, idk whats happening on there lol. It was so much more clear and intuitive before. Plus it just looks like a mobile version on desktop
That's my main issue. I can't tell news from random forum posts at a glance. I come to the front page for news, but it's a huge mess now.

Also on mobile it's really annoying when typing a reply, that as soon as you select the textbox, the page zooms and scrolls. It's disorienting, and I have to take a few seconds to see where I'm typing now.

I firstly opened the site and refreshed as I thought it was broken.
Then I realized it changed and I couldn't find the most recent article.
All text-based in the home screen with everything appearing in front of me. Guides, forums.. Then started scrolling down to find the most recent article.
But nope. Got more confused there. Random scape pic appearing (probably most recent) and then just blue links appearing only.
I had to read every title in order to remember which was the latest article I read.
I just feel like the website turned into a very old Facebook. Just the same emojis I see everywhere (oldschool ones were amazing, custom and odd), and the comment screen in here feels like that (the like buttons, reactions etc.)
I would like to mention some missing features which I used to consider a must and I wish nothing gets taken in the wrong as I am in no way commenting with hate. I just loved the previous one!
Everything mentioned below, is from the first mobile-user userexperience. Also written in order.
  1. Everything is text based.
  2. Everything is together. Literally.
  3. Blue links everywhere (and only)
  4. Comments together with the article. Just scrolling down for ever.
  5. Couldn't figure out how to comment. I just saw a random comment box in the middle of the comments, so I typed my comment there. Then found out that it was a reply to a comment and that my thumb was summoning the comment box (in order to reply) as I was scrolling down.
  6. I thought everything was removed. No user profile pics showing, no emojis, no option to edit text.. I had to open the forums to (fortunately) find out that all this is still here. But not displaying in the articles' comments.
  7. My notifications icon wouldn't show in the top bar. I had to go in "My account" to find them or open the forums.
  8. I'm sure I'm forgetting something but can't remember it now.
Again, I really like and love the site in general (and of course appreciate the work that was out into this, either if it's liked or not). I will surely keep visiting and I will get used to it over time. This js just my opinion with love. I just think it was more user-friendly for mobile users.
I loved the minimal previous website and I would even open a petition to bring it backšŸ„²

I'm enjoying the Similar threads section at the bottom of the pages, it amuses me how random some of the suggestions are. Taking W3H5's thread 'Help me solve a murder!' the five 'similar' threads are to do with; the death of Phil Spector, one of the WRS (weekly race series) threads, the Corvette C1 on the Cool Wall, recovering a Windows 8 computer without a recovery disc, and Asian hornets. Random. :lol:

Hi.
Is it possible to only have news on the main page? I dont want to have all that forum posts.
Main page is for news, i could not care less about dudes posting pictures of their cars in GTS...
Is there a setting to turn this off?

Last edited:
@Jordan - Is there any way to mark all forums as read? Can't find the old option anywhere...

Also on mobile it's really annoying when typing a reply, that as soon as you select the textbox, the page zooms and scrolls. It's disorienting, and I have to take a few seconds to see where I'm typing now.
I'm not quite sure what you're seeing here. Can you explain in more detail?

Most modern mobile browsers will naturally scroll to the highlighted text input, but I am not seeing any "zooming" behavior on any of my devices.

Is it possible to add a white favicon so it can be seen in browsers that are running in dark mode.
This is actually already implemented, but browser support is a bit sketchy.

Now that you mention it, it does seem Chrome is only picking up the dark version of the favicon on the homepage, though it's working as expected in the forums. I think I see what's going on there... I'll have to look into it more to confirm.

@Jordan - Is there any way to mark all forums as read? Can't find the old option anywhere...
It's in the "Forums" tab menu.

Last edited:
This is actually already implemented, but browser support is a bit sketchy.

Now that you mention it, it does seem Chrome is only picking up the dark version of the favicon on the homepage, though it's working as expected in the forums. I think I see what's going on there... I'll have to look into it more to confirm.
I use Firefox 89
1624500897351.png

Last edited:
Today's updates:
  • Home page: article feature images are displayed on mobile
  • Home page: ā€œPopular pagesā€ at the top of the homepage will be hidden if you are logged in to your account
  • Dark mode: changed highlight color of unread alerts
  • Dark mode: fixed ā€œdark modeā€ favicon on homepage and articles
  • Dark mode: content link color adjusted
  • Dark mode: color of reply counts fixed on ā€œNew Postsā€ page