Welcome to GTP16: Dark Mode, Emojis, Reactions, Bookmarks, and So Much More...

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 356 comments
I've run into complications wherein I've inadvertently created a second quote box or quoted text separates into more than one quote box, and I have yet to figure out how to merge them into a single box, where this was a simple matter of deleting BBCode commands prior to the update.
Yeah, merging quote boxes isn't really a thing in the visual editor. You'll need to cut-and-paste text between the boxes or toggle the manual BB Code editor to do that.
The cursor stayed in the quote box. I had to toggle the BB Code to get the cursor out of the quote box.

So, when I write a text and I use the View attachment 1070720 (quote) to put the text in a quote box, I can't get the cursor out of the quote box without having to toggle the BB code. It is only then that I can write something below the quote box.

This is not the case when I use the View attachment 1070721 button.
You should be able to just use the arrow keys to move the cursor out of the quote box, or click outside of it.

What browser are you using?

You should be able to just use the arrow keys to move the cursor out of the quote box, or click outside of it.

What browser are you using?
It doesn't work. I mean using the arrow keys or click outside this quote box. I have quoted this part of my post by using the
quote.jpg
in the menu above. I cannot click outside the quote box, nor can I use the arrow keys. I have to click on
ujh.jpg
to change the BB Code to be able to type outside the quote box.

I just clicked on the
ujh.jpg
to be able to write this outside the quote box.

I'm using Firefox.

EDIT. I'm editing this post and after changing the BB code and write outside the quote box, I'm able to click outside it without having to change the BB code.

Last edited:
Yeah, merging quote boxes isn't really a thing in the visual editor. You'll need to cut-and-paste text between the boxes or toggle the manual BB Code editor to do that.
I'd been doing the former when running into that issue, which was tolerable, but now that I know that the latter is possible (and how to do it*), it's no longer an issue. Thanks for that.

*I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere else in the thread (it probably is and I'm just...blind), but if anyone sees this and wants to know where to find it...

20210731_111707.png

Edit: Aaaaand someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
I just clicked on the View attachment 1070791 to be able to write this outside the quote box.

I'm using Firefox.

EDIT. I'm editing this post and after changing the BB code and write outside the quote box, I'm able to click outside it without having to change the BB code.
Hm, it's working normally for me in Firefox (90.0.2). There could be some kind of plugin interfering with the browser; otherwise I'm not sure what would cause that.

Hm, it's working normally for me in Firefox (90.0.2). There could be some kind of plugin interfering with the browser; otherwise I'm not sure what would cause that.
These are the add-ons installed. Maybe one of these is the culprit?

Naamloos.jpg

Last edited:
The cursor stayed in the quote box. I had to toggle the BB Code to get the cursor out of the quote box.

So, when I write a text and I use the View attachment 1070720 (quote) to put the text in a quote box, I can't get the cursor out of the quote box without having to toggle the BB code. It is only then that I can write something below the quote box.

This is not the case when I use the View attachment 1070721 button.
It seems to happen if you don't already have a new line below the text you are going to make a quote. IE you open a new post, write something, and turn it into a quote without returning a new line below it beforehand. If the quote is now the only thing in the post editor, there is nowhere for you to click or move to.

There is an easy solution though, either make sure there is already another new line before you make it a quote or if not, just move your cursor to the end of the quote and hit enter on the keyboard, moves to a new line like normal.

Last edited:
It seems to happen if you don't already have a new line below the text you are going to make a quote. IE you open a new post, write something, and turn it into a quote without returning a new line below it beforehand. If the quote is now the only thing in the post editor, there is nowhere for you to click or move to.

There is an easy solution though, either make sure there is already another new line before you make it a quote or if not, just move your cursor to the end of the quote and hit enter on the keyboard, moves to a new line like normal.
Thanks.

So I'm not the only one having this small and insignificant issue.

@Jordan

I can no longer use any of the formatting options or insert an image, media or gif etc. When I click on any of them, nothing happens. When I click on the more options dots, that works but the options there don't work either.

I'm on Firefox, up to date and all extensions turned off.

@Jordan

I can no longer use any of the formatting options or insert an image, media or gif etc. When I click on any of them, nothing happens. When I click on the more options dots, that works but the options there don't work either.

I'm on Firefox, up to date and all extensions turned off.
1627852864747.png

Two small questions that probably have easy fixes that I'm too dumb to notice, but...

In the old forums, there used to be a "more options" button when posting a replay at the bottom of a thread that took users to a dedicated composing page. Is that feature removed? I quite liked being able to concentrate solely on writing a reply as I tend to be quite long winded. I also enjoyed the checkboxes at the bottom that allowed me to opt out of following a thread I'm replying to, which seems to be a feature that's been omitted as well; now I have to manually unfollow threads I'm replying to be scrolling to the top of the page after I reply. Have these two features been removed, or am I too dumb to find them?

Also, for some weird reason, video embeds from the "Media" button don't seem to justify at all, even with BB code. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Argh. Apparently I triggered a post by pressing enter to see how line breaks extended the reply box.

Found it. Ctrl-Enter. That's an annoying accidental shortcut.

On-topic, I can't believe I didn't notice the full post composition option is gone. As for opting out of following threads, @XSquareStickIt, you can turn off automatic following in your preferences and make it opt-in.

Last edited:
It used to be that post edit drafts were stored to some degree, so if your attempt to edit a post was interrupted for some reason, it could be that part or all of your edit could be revisited before submitting the revised post.

Is this just gone?

In the old forums, there used to be a "more options" button when posting a replay at the bottom of a thread that took users to a dedicated composing page. Is that feature removed? I quite liked being able to concentrate solely on writing a reply as I tend to be quite long winded. I also enjoyed the checkboxes at the bottom that allowed me to opt out of following a thread I'm replying to, which seems to be a feature that's been omitted as well; now I have to manually unfollow threads I'm replying to be scrolling to the top of the page after I reply. Have these two features been removed, or am I too dumb to find them?
Ah, you're right. I hadn't noticed that button had gone missing. It will come back.

As noted, you can change your account options and then just subscribe to the threads you want.

Also, for some weird reason, video embeds from the "Media" button don't seem to justify at all, even with BB code. Am I missing something?
No, they don't follow alignment formatting because of how they are built.

It used to be that post edit drafts were stored to some degree, so if your attempt to edit a post was interrupted for some reason, it could be that part or all of your edit could be revisited before submitting the revised post.

Is this just gone?
No, that feature never existed. Post drafts are stored, but drafts of edits to existing posts are not stored.

No, that feature never existed. Post drafts are stored, but drafts of edits to existing posts are not store
Weird. I distinctly recall on multiple occasions venturing an edit and either inadvertently clicking away only to have the page refresh upon returning or deliberately clicking cancel, and finding the edit I'd partially completed still there when I made another attempt to edit.

It was nice when abandoning the edit wasn't by choice but inconvenient if I'd deleted text from the original post that I wanted to remain.

Last edited:
Weird. I distinctly recall on multiple occasions venturing an edit and either inadvertently clicking away only to have the page refresh upon returning or deliberately clicking cancel, and having the edit I'd partially completed still being there when I made another attempt to edit.

It was nice when abandoning the edit wasn't by choice but inconvenient if I'd deleted text from the original post that I wanted to remain.
That functionality is/was probably provided by your browser.

The new post editor is a lot different than the old one in terms of how it is built. As you can probably tell, it's not a typical web form, so some of the built-in functionality that modern browsers provide for forms won't always be compatible with it.

That functionality is/was probably provided by your browser.

The new post editor is a lot different than the old one in terms of how it is built. As you can probably tell, it's not a typical web form, so some of the built-in functionality that modern browsers provide for forms won't always be compatible with it.
Thanks for the explanation. I considered it may have been in the browser rather than the forum but I couldn't explain the function going away, so I figured it had to be part of the update. Turns out it's both. It's a zero-sum loss, though, as I'd mentioned the benefit and the detriment.

I also want to say that I love how my text color is reflected in the inline spoiler. It's a little thing but I appreciate the attention to detail.

Would gtplanet be the first to add an "Agree" button, along with the "Like" button?

I just find some of the heated discussions need an Agree button. Sure, there's the Poo response for disliking a post, but some points, I feel, don't deserve a Like by me. I can agree, agree to disagree and still not like a post. A nonresponse might not convey an end to a discussion. Where an agreement, at least, acknowledges a point was made. If you all can understand what I mean.

Anyway, there is a bit of space next to the Like button as it is. ;)

Is it possible to use animated avatars like in the old days?
It allows me to use a gif file, but I don't think it actually moves... Or does it? :odd:

Was the post reply button always on the right?

For some reason I am always just moving my mouse down where the "Attach Files" Button is.

Back