What are the benifits of haveing a Digital Camera over Old Style?

• Thread starter ALPHA
  • 25 comments
Are there more options for price, you can do more can't you wuth one or the other?

So what type of camera is better?

Convenience, mostly. No developing time, connect to the PC, blah, blah, blah. The quality is getting pretty good too....although a professionally developed 35mm exposure still edges it out in the fine detail department.

Basically, they're good for snapshot takers - like me. :)

I have just recently gotten my hands on a digital camera. In my opinion, it is better than normal cameras. I really don't like having to drop of my camera so my photos can get developed. I never feel like doing it anyway. With the digital camera I have just recently gotten, I just point and shoot. The, I plug it into my computer and I am ready to share my photos. :)

Originally posted by viperman
a digi cam u can put into your comp and send it via email

Thats about all, and not to mention that if you dont spend over 3 thousand you realy arent getting a good camera.

But it is great to send pics back and forth on the net.

Originally posted by toleman19
Thats about all, and not to mention that if you dont spend over 3 thousand you realy arent getting a good camera.

uh youre wrong there mate. ive got a kodak DX3500. its got a 2.2 megapixel resolution and 3 times digital zoom. its got 2 different resolutions (1800x1200 and 900x600) and with the 32 meg card holds 54 1800x1200 shots and 197 900x600 shots. i can also use the 1.5x1 inch LCD screen to get a perfect view of the picture im going to take. after ive taken it, i can view it and choose to keep it or delete it and take another. either way ive wasted no space unlike a 35mm camera. its got 4 different plash types, a timer, time and date stamp and all that kind of crap that a 35mm has.

it uses a USB transfer cable and can transfer 30 700KB pictures in a matter of seconds. then i can browse them, open photoshop and crop, edit red eyes, light and dark balances etc. it doesnt have any ongoing costs apart from batteries which are a negligable cost if you get rechargable nickle metal hydrides (they last for ages).

it cost me 600 bucks (AU$) and has already paid for itself over and over. its a great camera and takes great quality pictures. if anyone wants to see how good the quality is, PM me with your email and ill send a few photos and you compare them to a 35mm photo. i would upload them to GTP but id have to reduce the quality to comply with the 100k limit.

dx3500Dock.jpg

specs

thats the camera in the camera dock. i push the button and it automatically transfers the pictures from the camera to a specified folder. if you use rechargable batteries, the camera dock also acts as a charger.

gigo - nah, i cant get any extra lenses which is a bit of a bugger

Originally posted by risingson77
Convenience, mostly. No developing time, connect to the PC, blah, blah, blah. The quality is getting pretty good too....although a professionally developed 35mm exposure still edges it out in the fine detail department.

Basically, they're good for snapshot takers - like me. :)

I'm the same - I'm taking a lot more photos with the digital camera now, and burning them to CD means the photos are stored more easily - and you can always get them printed professionally.

I'm finding I actually take a lot more in the way of 'arty' type photos - we have what was a psychiatric hospital very near to us (in the appropriately named 'Bedlam Bay') with great sandstone buildings and features. I quite like heading over there and taking black and white shots, since I don't need to pay to develop shots.

yeah digi is cool.
I have a 2.1 mega pixel sony camera with 3x digizoom. I have a 128mb memory stick in it which means i can take well over 200 pic. I sasve myn to a cd as well.
I can take black n' whites, sepia, negative art, etc with a touch of a button. I can take a 30 min movie (without sound of course).
if you want to out them in a photo album they can be printed out at heaps of places at a reasonable cost on to photo quality paper.

If you can afford it tho, go for optical zoom as digital looses quality as you zoom in.
there are 6 megapixel cameras out ther but they cost a fortune. my 2.1 cost $500 (AU). I wouldnt go lower than 1.3 mega pixel if you are going to buy one either..... :)

I like how you can see and instantly delete a pic that you don't like, that way you can just take it again, rather than cross your fingers that it comes out when it's developed.

Obviously there are no digital cameras under 10 thousand bucks that can rival a good ol' 35 mm SLR. my dad just recently bought a FujiFilm S1 Pro, and it's probably one of the best digital cameras in terms of rivaling image quality of a 35 mm SLR. but he's a professional photographer, and you probably aren't. I suppose that there must be a couple digital cameras which equal, if not best 35 mm in terms of image quality, but nothing a regular consumer is going to purchase.

So, if you plan on getting large prints [bigger than 4 x 5 inch] get a 35 mm. If you want convenience, and don't want to purchase film, get a digital camera.

My digital camera is only 2.1 megapixel and it can print an 8x10 that looks ok. I'm sure a 4x5 would come out really sharp. It's an older camera and today's models, with 5+ megapixels, have *tons* of detail capability. I'm sure awesome 8x10s would be no problem at all for those.

Mine is an Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoom with a 10x optical stabilized zoom lens. I love it for action/racing photography... I just wish it had more resolution to work with. :) In addition to the ability to delete pictures that didn't come out, as was already mentioned, mine has a 'burst' mode where I can take 4-5 pictures in rapid succession at a rate of about 2.5 per second.

I haven't used a film camera since I got my digital model about 2 years ago. I'm never going back. :)

Here are a few albums of motorsports activities I've taken with this camera:
http://www.pbase.com/bryanh/
http://community.webshots.com/user/bryan_h
http://www.imagestation.com/members/BryanH

Yeah, photography is kindof a hobby of mine. :)

I just received a digital camera yesterday (well, I got one wish!), and it's a lot of fun. It's a Olypus D510, with a nice 28-110mm telephoto-lens. Point, shoot, pictures's there! No need to waste film, take pics of whatever you want, no extra expenses. And editing is fun, and quick.

No waiting.

I have an "old, print-style" Canon EOS, with a telephoto lenses 35-80mm, and 80-210mm. What hurts is that good film developing is quite expensive on my budget. But it makes you take more "serious", or well thought-out pictures, you don't just point and shoot and fugetaboutit...

Originally posted by Klostrophobic
Obviously there are no digital cameras under 10 thousand bucks that can rival a good ol' 35 mm SLR.
I saw a $1000 SLR at Best Buy a few months ago, I think it was a Canon. Nikon had a $1200 one that was better. But they provided the same number of pixels, the same basic features, but you can't beat an SLR if you're a professional, that I agree!

But in the SLR world of print film cameras, there are your basic EOS and Pentax packages, and then there are your Nikon F5s (cha-ching).

It's like any other "technical art" (cars, photography, hi-fi, etc.), to be twice as good, you have to spend 10 times as much!

Originally posted by Klostrophobic
So, if you plan on getting large prints [bigger than 4 x 5 inch] get a 35 mm. If you want convenience, and don't want to purchase film, get a digital camera.

Actually, most 2+ megapixel cameras are limited not by the camera quality but by the printer quality. If you had an 8" dye-sub printer, you could have some decent shots from a 2.1MP camera. Any of the newer 4+ MP cameras can take excellent 8x10" images.

Not up to the detail level of traditional film, but most people won't be able to tell the difference.

Originally posted by B Campbell
Actually, most 2+ megapixel cameras are limited not by the camera quality but by the printer quality. If you had an 8" dye-sub printer, you could have some decent shots from a 2.1MP camera.
Good point. Many photography stores should have digital photo print services available, some with very good quality printers. There are lots of places to choose from around here.

Yeah, those 'Kodak image stations'. I haven't tried them, are they any good? I've been thinking of printing out pictures for some presents, is it worth it?

I haven't tried one either. The only print I've had made from my digital was at a local "old school" camera shop (you know, megabuck SLRs, tripods, lenses galore, etc). Gave them my disk, said I wanted an 8x10, and got the print the next day. I believe the print was $7-8. And I can't recall what kind of printer they had (doh!).

Back