What cars would you electrify?

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 38 comments
Australia
Australia
Once upon a time, the world knew electric cars. Today, the world is even more familiar with hybrid and electric vehicles.

Back To The Future featured hybrid flying/road cars. Some even ran hover conversions.
Pimp My Ride built an alternative fuel 800hp Impala SS.

Without worrying about where to place an internal combustion engine( ICE), a car that wouldn't pass emissions today, may do well with an electric set up.

Post cars(from any era) you feel should, would, could be electrified. For today's and tomorrow's world.

2001 Ford 49 Concept
images

Could have all the show and go of a 1000hp electric monster and cruise quietly.

8th gen Honda civic hatchback.
Either the 3 door ir 5 door.
The car that looks like it came from outer space will sound like it came from outer space(high pitched hum)
00ed8a2aae64b22101e1fef39e1665b5.jpg
I debadged my black EP3 Si. Some thought it was a new electric car. Same people knew about the Insight at the time.

The logical answer to this is all econoboxes. They're driven by the sort of people for whom even a low ~100ish mile range wouldn't impact 99% of the time, and it would immeasurably improve the way most drove, switching out characterless four-cylinder engines with a smoother, quieter and more powerful electric motor. If every dreary hatchback became electric overnight they'd be a lot less dreary.

The fun answer is something that always deserved a better engine than it got, or a car whose design implies that it's more futuristic than a regular engine could ever hope to achieve. So in no particular order, Citroen DS, Audi A2, first-gen Audi TT, Toyota Sera (I've long wanted to try combining a Prius drivetrain with a Sera - similar performance, better economy, with much better styling). I reckon a classic Mini would work well too, or one of the cars derived from it - maybe a Midas.

It's an inside joke around here.

You're forgetting the most important part.
You gotta blast FOOTLOOSE from your speakers.

And back on topic.

Everything that isn't a weekend toy or somewhat of a classic should be electrified. Most importantly, every diesel that lives its life in the city needs to go full battery.

The logical answer to this is all econoboxes. They're driven by the sort of people for whom even a low ~100ish mile range wouldn't impact 99% of the time, and it would immeasurably improve the way most drove, switching out characterless four-cylinder engines with a smoother, quieter and more powerful electric motor. If every dreary hatchback became electric overnight they'd be a lot less dreary.

The fun answer is something that always deserved a better engine than it got, or a car whose design implies that it's more futuristic than a regular engine could ever hope to achieve. So in no particular order, Citroen DS, Audi A2, first-gen Audi TT, Toyota Sera (I've long wanted to try combining a Prius drivetrain with a Sera - similar performance, better economy, with much better styling). I reckon a classic Mini would work well too, or one of the cars derived from it - maybe a Midas.
Which brings this to mind. Clever.

I think a Rolls Silver Shadow would make an ideal candidate for electric conversion.

It was designed for wafting around in in almost silence with 'adequate' power reserves, so electrifying one just takes that a step further.

Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow I (1).jpg

Wish my wife kept her Moke...

Luxury cars make sense as well. That RR would be the perfect candidate.

A legit diesel/electric hybrid pickup truck. A little 4 cylinder diesel charges up the batteries and the electric motors do the driving. With portal axles it would have awesome ground clearance and a ton of torque.

Saturn SC from the Late nineties:

--a232550ffe.jpg

Just because it had some weird-ish looking futuristic 90's Vaporwave style. That and it somehow reminds me of the GM Ev1 for some reason.

------------------------------
Speaking of the weird 90's, Autozam AZ-1 as an EV?

721754f4861cf5ca320c37fe76965ec5.jpg

Mazda-Tuning-Festa-93.jpg

They look so adorable :embarrassed:

---------------------------------
I kinda want to throw this in since i have no idea of which car do i actually want to convert them really.
But how about the DS 3 because why not?

DSC_0369.JPG

I think a Rolls Silver Shadow would make an ideal candidate for electric conversion.

It was designed for wafting around in in almost silence with 'adequate' power reserves, so electrifying one just takes that a step further.

View attachment 664666
The batteries would add a lot extra weight to what is already a very heavy car...

Anyway, this is one car I'd like to be electric:
Citroen-C4-Cactus-13.jpg

Just for lolz... Yet it would actually provide a decent performance benefit because the stock engine isn't that powerful.

The batteries would add a lot extra weight to what is already a very heavy car...
Depends how many batteries, of course.

Worth also remembering that with any conversion you aren't just throwing a motor and batteries on top of whatever kerbweight the vehicle already has - you're typically removing at the very least the engine (and all associated ancillaries), exhaust system, fuel tank and associated fluids. Lots of heavy stuff.

You're probably still going to add weight overall, but this would probably also be offset somewhat by the extra performance. The converted electric classic Beetle I drove a few years back came in around the 1050kg/2300lbs mark, which is about 300kg/650lbs more than standard*, but then it also made about double the power of the standard car and about double the torque - 120lbs ft - from nothing rather than at mid-rpm, so any extra weight didn't really make itself felt!

I believe the Silver Shadow used hydropneumatic suspension licensed from Citroen, so the suspension would actually adapt automatically any extra weight from a conversion. Which actually makes it quite a neat choice.

* The layout of a Beetle required VW make the engine relatively light in the first place, so in conversion terms it's more of a losing battle than something like the Rolls-Royce where everything weighs a million tons.

DS 4. A lot of people have forgotten this car is still on sale, an EV variant would make this car relevant again.
368fcffea06647aa852e3d4e25896d89

Toyota Aygo. Looks edgy and the instant torque of electrification would make this a fun car around the city.
t_10774.jpg

120265d1270693763-95-honda-civic-hatchback-vx-model-40-50-mpg-picture-324.jpg

An economy-spec (not to be confused with poverty-spec) Civic or CR-X seems like the natural canidate here. I'd imagine it would peform pretty well compared to the 3000lb+ EV hatchbacks you see these days.

Well...you can buy a "new" EV DeLorean already...For some reason, all I can think of is Fords. Mustang II, '33-'34 shovel grill Model A customs (Or a deuce coupe, I guess), an old Lincoln Continental...hell the new one might work too, Mercury Cougars, perhaps a more modern land yacht like an LTD or Crown Vic.

Honda S660 - A 660cc engine doesn't really make sense in most territories outside Japan, so why not throw in a torquey electric motor and make this an incredibly fun urban commuter to appeal to more markets?
20150405_3350608.jpg

Until it's possible to replicate the smell and sound of an old engine alongside an electric motor, I feel like nothing really should be converted.

Jaguar XJ with an electric motor and a CVT box. Just waft away in comfort and style.

Until it's possible to replicate the smell and sound of an old engine alongside an electric motor, I feel like nothing really should be converted.
Given how many cars literally use exhaust noise through the speakers (Golf R!), it's not difficult to add the scent.

akrales_170609_1745_0076.jpg

Nobody cares or wants to hear your gasoline engine in a rolls. They want smooth power delivery, silence, and do not want to suck car exhaust when they get in/out. Also, nobody is driving 100s of miles in a rolls across the country.

My only question regarding an electric motor in a Rolls would be, could the battery back have enough juice to power all the luxuries plus give it a decent range without weighing as much as a semi truck? I think it would be a great idea, but with all the features in a Rolls, I feel like it might drain the batteries quickly.

My only question regarding an electric motor in a Rolls would be, could the battery back have enough juice to power all the luxuries plus give it a decent range without weighing as much as a semi truck?

I thought they already weighed as much as a semi-truck. ;)

Edit: Also, since EVs tend to get lumped in with self-driving, people generally don't care about actually driving their rolls either. That's the help's job.

Last edited:
I do like the weird looks of the Toyota WiLL Cypha.... Electrifying that would be interesting. As homeforsummer said, electrifying economy cars seems the most fitting. Especially the oddball Japanese domestic compact cars.
toyota-will-3fabeb0997.jpg

Back