What do we think of the 1 minute penalty?

• Thread starter Mercia
  • 131 comments

What would be your preferred puishment?

• Happy with 1 minute

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Should be 2 minutes or longer

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Should be disqualification

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Don't care as I always finish 1st

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other w/ explanation

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
jdeviant1983
Surely not pitting in a mandatory pit stop race or not changing tires when 2 sets are mandatory should be nothing less than a DSQ?

1 minute is less than half a lap of the current C race, I don't see how this isn't way too lenient?

What are people's thoughts on it?

1 min makes sense. It's enough to seriously alter your finishing position and teach the lesson that you've done something wrong and ignored the rules. If you're still in the top 5 after a 1-min penalty there's something really wrong with the matching system - a 1-min penalty in the top 5 should see you drop to the bottom 5 in 90% of races.

EDIT: It's lenient enough to retain the "fun" factor but not strict enough for a professional competition, if that makes sense. This is, after all, a game.

Last edited:
Surely not pitting in a mandatory pit stop race or not changing tires when 2 sets are mandatory should be nothing less than a DSQ?

1 minute is less than half a lap of the current C race, I don't see how this isn't way too lenient?

What are people's thoughts on it?
In my opinion it's only too lenient if it ends up that ignoring the pit/tyre rule results in a faster race time despite the penalty, which is exactly what happened back when the penalty used to be 20s. There's no benefit in ignoring the rule because 1 minute adds, as you say, half a lap to your race time. I think that works.

If someone breaks the rule and you don't, you're always going to end up finishing ahead of them once the penalty is applied. I don't see the problem.

Voted DSQ here, although I fully appreciate I'm taking a very strict stance on the matter. I figure if the race has regulations on mandatory tyres/stops etc. you should be following them, and if not you get disqualified like they would in real race formats like F1.

That being said, making the mandatory requirements more visible than they are now would be a good idea considering they're not static like in F1...

In real life it would be a declassification from the results. So I get where you are coming from.
However the game has to be less strict especially as GT straddles the line between sim and arcade.
You will never gain 60 seconds by not pitting unless you put Fraga against a complete novice. So the punishment seems fair to me and I have never seen anyone as yet finish in the top 10 with the penalty.

It's more the trouble it creates at the end of the race. One minute is plenty penalty, yet you get the final lap with people on worn tires that shouldn't be in the position that they are in. PD added the mandatory stops to reduce the incidents from no stop vs stoppers. Someone pootling around on dead tires in the last lap with the pack coming up on much fresher tires creates problems.

Either remove the mandatory stops or actually enforce it for real. Or add a 60 SR deduction to fit the 1 minute penalty, 1 SR per second of penalty ;) I bet people will pay attention to the pit stops!

Why should you get a time penalty because you didn’t pit, the penalty is given because you have to slow down to finish the race. If some one can finish on bad tires is like a win in my racing

Those races definitely had more strategy, especially when times between no stop and one stop were very close. However they also invited a lot more incidents. At Brands hatch, pitting fresh soft tires against worn hard tires in the final laps often lead to chaos. With a working penalty system it would be no problem, yet we can't have strategic races with the current system.

Rip, fuel management, tire strategy, pit stop planning.

The penalty is there to get everyone to pit and make the final lap(s) more even. Same reason people that get lapped are ghosted, not to cause issues for those racing for podium. (yet you can still draft them and they cause dirty air, PD logic)

It's more the trouble it creates at the end of the race. One minute is plenty penalty, yet you get the final lap with people on worn tires that shouldn't be in the position that they are in. PD added the mandatory stops to reduce the incidents from no stop vs stoppers. Someone pootling around on dead tires in the last lap with the pack coming up on much fresher tires creates problems.

Either remove the mandatory stops or actually enforce it for real. Or add a 60 SR deduction to fit the 1 minute penalty, 1 SR per second of penalty ;) I bet people will pay attention to the pit stops!
Also screws up the DR ranking. Not a big deal but disruptive none the less.

It dings someone for 1 race, then in theory next race they make it up again provided they don't make the same mistake again.

Conversely another person finished above their predicted position due to the error, in theory will fall back next race.

If someone makes this mistake in a FIA race, they probably just go again.

Basically it just punishes those who only have time for 1 race. AND WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IF THEY LET PEOPLE PRACTICE RACES WITH THE SAME CONDITIONS AS THE RACES.

Sorry for yelling.

Also screws up the DR ranking. Not a big deal but disruptive none the less.

It dings someone for 1 race, then in theory next race they make it up again provided they don't make the same mistake again.

Conversely another person finished above their predicted position due to the error, in theory will fall back next race.

If someone makes this mistake in a FIA race, they probably just go again.

Basically it just punishes those who only have time for 1 race. AND WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IF THEY LET PEOPLE PRACTICE RACES WITH THE SAME CONDITIONS AS THE RACES.

Sorry for yelling.
I would never happen if the 'rules' weren't tucked away in a corner without any mention of a one minute penalty. Every day people still ask, why did a get a one minute penalty. If not on here, then on Reddit 😄

60 SR loss was in jest, that would reset A+ drivers that forget to pit (It also happens by accident thinking there is one more lap. I forgot one race I had already pitted and pitted twice on Sarthe :lol:)

Anywho how hard is it to put a warning on screen, pit stop pending, tire change pending, last chance to pit. That would be the easiest solution.

Looks like it's pretty even split in the votes.

I do sympathise that it's not made more obvious in the race details screen, I doubt this will be changed now, hopefully if they are going to keep the same thing in 7 they've noticed the issue.

Should be a straight DQ in my opinion. The requirements are available for everyone to view, no matter how “hid away” they currently are.

EDIT:
My view is simple. It’s cheating and influences both the winning of the race and the racing down the field

As for a possible solution, I posted this in another thread about a week ago:

Not knowing if someone has abused the tyre regulations during a race.

I do believe that this information would allow you not to have to take undue risks if racing someone who has a “pending” penalty. There isn’t much point in racing someone hard if you know they either have to stop or if they have a time penalty pending If they don’t.

In RL racing, everyone is aware of who has used what and what still has to be used.

A suggested solution would be to have red dots placed against a driver name. One dot per mandatory tyre. As they are used, remove the dot. Seems simple to me.
It’s in the “little things you find annoying in GTS” thread. Seems a little weird to quote myself 😳

Last edited:
1 minute and disqualification are pretty much the same, the only difference being that a DSQ would put those people behind the disconnects and rage quitters which is unfair.

A 1 minute penalty for something the game does a piss poor job of explaining and which usually only gains you around 10s tops is already pretty harsh.

Back on PS2 TOCA had a popup pitboard on the screen to remind you that there was a mandatory pit stop if you hadn't taken it towards the end of the window. It's silly PD haven't added something similar.

Last edited:
Why should you get a time penalty because you didn’t pit, the penalty is given because you have to slow down to finish the race. If some one can finish on bad tires is like a win in my racing
Why should you get a time penalty for crashing people out? Because those are the rules. The rules say you have to pit and that there's a penalty for not following the rules. This is how competitive games are - there are rules and not following them results in penalties.

I mean, we can discuss whether it would be better racing without mandatory pit stops, but as long as they're mandatory there needs to be some sort of penalty that exceeds the potential advantage or they're in no meaningful way mandatory.
PD made sure to flash a low fuel warning. Same should be as mentioned above.
Absolutely. In a game intended to cater to casual players who would presumably prefer to spend their limited time actually racing rather than scrutinising the rulebook, every effort should be made to make sure that all the necessary information is available and that people don't make silly mistakes purely out of ignorance. No one has more fun because someone got pinged on some rule infraction that they didn't know existed.

Why should you get a time penalty for crashing people out? Because those are the rules. The rules say you have to pit and that there's a penalty for not following the rules. This is how competitive games are - there are rules and not following them results in penalties.

I mean, we can discuss whether it would be better racing without mandatory pit stops, but as long as they're mandatory there needs to be some sort of penalty that exceeds the potential advantage or they're in no meaningful way mandatory.

Absolutely. In a game intended to cater to casual players who would presumably prefer to spend their limited time actually racing rather than scrutinising the rulebook, every effort should be made to make sure that all the necessary information is available and that people don't make silly mistakes purely out of ignorance. No one has more fun because someone got pinged on some rule infraction that they didn't know existed.
Oh, it was quite fun when the mandatory tires came to the daily races for the first time. 90% of the people in the room got the 30 second penalty, it was easier than ever to win from the back :lol: It took a long time before people caught on, most just left quickly in disgust, not waiting around to find out why then got dinged again next race!

Oh, it was quite fun when the mandatory tires came to the daily races for the first time. 90% of the people in the room got the 30 second penalty, it was easier than ever to win from the back :lol: It took a long time before people caught on, most just left quickly in disgust, not waiting around to find out why then got dinged again next race!
That would have been pretty funny if you were in the know, immensely frustrating if you had no idea why.

On another note, I only know if there's a mandatory tyre change (or pit stop) by reading the event conditions on Kudosprime or on here - where does it state in the game that it's a mandatory stop? It's porbably fairly obvious when you know where to look, but I've not noticed it stated in the pre-race menu.

That would have been pretty funny if you were in the know, immensely frustrating if you had no idea why.

On another note, I only know if there's a mandatory tyre change (or pit stop) by reading the event conditions on Kudosprime or on here - where does it state in the game that it's a mandatory stop? It's porbably fairly obvious when you know where to look, but I've not noticed it stated in the pre-race menu.
Click on race details, bottom right of lobby screen. Then scroll down to the bottom. Min no. pit stops: 1.

Last edited:
Click on race details, bottom right of lobby screen. Then scroll down to the bottom. Min no. pit stops: 1.
Got ya. So it's not in the first screen, but in a secondary menu for the race details. If they made it more obvious (like you don't need to go into a secondary menu to see it) then I think they could be harsher on the penalty.

Where you see a competitive game I see online sim racing. Where the driving strategies of ten or more drivers make a race with or without a pit stops. It’s sounds like you are very good at playing the game, I am sure you can pass someone with worn tires. If you can not tell if the driver in front or in back of you is driving on bad tires that is something to work on. The driver with bad tires has to slow down if they want to finish a race, to some that is how they learn the skills of racing.

Where you see a competitive game I see online sim racing.
Online sim racing is a competitive game.

I'm sorry I don't speak American, but in the English language online sim racing is both "competitive" (because it involves competition) and a "game" (because it's done through the medium of video games). This is why it's called a "competitive game". I hope this helps you understand the language better.
Where the driving strategies of ten or more drivers make a race with or without a pit stops. It’s sounds like you are very good at playing the game, I am sure you can pass someone with worn tires. If you can not tell if the driver in front or in back of you is driving on bad tires that is something to work on. The driver with bad tires has to slow down if they want to finish a race, to some that is how they learn the skills of racing.
Do you understand the concept of following the rules of the event? It's not about whether the event would be better or worse with different rules. The event has the rules that it has, that's what defines the event. You get a penalty when you break the rules. If there is no penalty for breaking the rule, it's not a rule.

What you want is a completely different event without mandatory stops. Which is fine, but it's a discussion completely unrelated to whether the penalties in an event with mandatory stops are sufficiently punitive. No penalties is not an option here.

Personally, I prefer events with more open rulesets that allow drivers to choose their own optimal race strategy. But I'm capable of separating that preference out from thinking critically about how an event with mandatory stops should implement it's penalties. I'm even capable of recognising that there are some events (like, say, Formula 1) where mandatory stops actually add more interesting strategy than would exist by removing them.

Back