What does HEMI mean ?

• Thread starter DasBoot
  • 34 comments
Might be a stupid question, but I couldn't resist asking. :dunce:

I noticed that some Chrysler and Dodge models have an addition in their name Hemi.
These 3 I've seen in the game so far:
- Chrysler 300c HEMI
- Dodge Ram Hemi
- Dodge Charger super bee hemi
Is hemi a tuning company like AMG is to Mercedes ?
What is it all about ?

Thanks

The term HEMI references the hemispherical
combustion chambers in the engine's heads.
The chamber design puts the intake/exhaust
valves in-line, rather than side-by-side. This
allows for better flow of air through the head.
The spark plug in the center of the chamber
creates a better ignition of the fuel/air. Both
of these major aspects help make hemi-type
engines produce more efficiency and power.

taken from http://www.thehemi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=155

laters

funny.. i thought it meant that the engine can change from 4 cylinders to 8 :)

My dads work friend, drives an old car, and it can accelerate normally on only 4 cylinders. But as soon as he floors it, the other 4 jumps into the action, resulting in a hell of a growl.. :D

He claimed it was a HEMI... :dunce:

phillip

My dads work friend, drives an old car, and it can accelerate normally on only 4 cylinders. But as soon as he floors it, the other 4 jumps into the action, resulting in a hell of a growl.. :D

thats on the cars like..300C im not sure if the charger n magnum have it..OH and also the new jeep has it..its called MDS - MULTI DISPLACEMENT SYSTEM

phillip

The engine could well be still a HEMI, even if that has nothing to do with the 4/8 cylinder management. THe HEMI cylinder head wasn't so much about flow as about maximising the surface area : volume ratio. A sphere is the shape which has the most volume for the least surface area - this helps the combustion process. The problem with a Hemi is getting anymore than 2 valves per cylinder - to avoid the valves hitting each other, some very trick (and thus expensive) camshaft/valve arrangements are needed, hence generally you don't see 4valves/cyl on a Hemi.

Well in america you here about them all the time HEMI! HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI HEMI :guilty:

IA

Its not an old HEMI if he claims it changes from 4 to 8 cylenders. The 426 HEMI was far from emission law compatable, and was originally made for racing. It was notorious for trashing spark plugz, and was actually phased out of the MOPAR line up due to emission laws and gas prices. Although there was many other engines reffered to as "HEMI" engines, ranging in engine sizes (The original HEMI was 300 and something cubic inches, and was introduced back in the 1950's) none had the ability to change back and forth from 4 to 8 cylenders. Only the newest HEMI has that capability from the MOPAR HEMI family.
Most likely his car just has a stock exhaust and sounds quite at idle.

Ikari_San
Is that in any way similar to Toyota's "Variable Valve Timing" technology?
Nope. Nothing at all. VVTi and VTEC change the cam lobes at higher RPM's giving them longer duration, different timing, and making the valves open wider to allow more air/fuel mixture into the cylinders.

phillip

It sounds like he's a bit mixed up. The new 300C runs a Hemi that can do this, and maybe he heard about it and thought that it was the way all Hemi's worked. Only the new ones I believe. :)

300c, charger, magnum, ram...they all got hemis

yah n that old guy is lying to you about his car

iVTEC is the same thing as toyota's VVTi, BMW's double-vanos, porsche's variocam plus

Either he's confused or lying to you. Except for Cadillac's useless "V8-6-4" from the early '80s, American cars haven't used the cylinder-deactivating technology until recently.

If it's a car from the '60s or early '70s, it's probably got a 4-barrell carburetor, which has 2 small (primary) and 2 large (secondary) throttle plates. Under light-to-mid throttle, only the primaries open, for better economy (and for reasons having to do with intake velocity, which we won't go into here). However, if you floor it, the secondaries open up. Since the secondaries are much larger, you get a lot more intake honk when the engine is winding up, so it sounds like a bigger engine.

Duke
Either he's confused or lying to you. Except for Cadillac's useless "V8-6-4" from the early '80s, American cars haven't used the cylinder-deactivating technology until recently.

If it's a car from the '60s or early '70s, it's probably got a 4-barrell carburetor, which has 2 small (primary) and 2 large (secondary) throttle plates. Under light-to-mid throttle, only the primaries open, for better economy (and for reasons having to do with intake velocity, which we won't go into here). However, if you floor it, the secondaries open up. Since the secondaries are much larger, you get a lot more intake honk when the engine is winding up, so it sounds like a bigger engine.

This actually makes perfect sense. :)
IA

So is the Dodge charger super bee hemi which is in GT4 the "original" Hemi, in other words the first hemi-equipped production model ?

On a side note, I saw 2fast 2furious a couple of weeks back. (And at the risk of offending anyone ....cough... piece of 🤬 movie...cough). And if I remember correctly they were calling some souped up Dodge Charger "The" Hemi.

The term "hemi" is a dodge/mopar term....but there are plenty of companys engines that run hemispherical heads...they just cant badge it "Hemi" like mopars.
When you mention "hemi" you think of big v8s...but its used in smaller engines too and are technically a "hemi" also.

It started with the Charger but it was glorified by the Daytona.

And the Charger in the TF&TF was either a '69 or '70 R/T which featured the 426 Hemi. From what I understand, the 426 was optional and the standard was a 440 Magnum.

Nowwadays, the 440 is what you'll see under the hood of most R/T's.

Duke

Several GM models had this feature in the fifties...

1. the charger was featured in the first Fast and the furious Movie, it was a 69 Charger R/T with a 426. However, it was also blown with a Weiland supercharger. Thus creating in the neighborhood of 800 - 900 HP.

2. While other automakers had used the hemispherical design, no one ever achieved what the true HEMI of the 60's did, their motors just couldn't compete.

3. There are 3 generations of HEMIs "old time" - 50's, "THE HEMI" - 60's this is the more famous, high powered racing one that later went into production cars, and then the new HEMIs. Yes, the first cars that the (60's) HEMIs were put into were what they called the B-Body cars. These include the Plymouth Roadrunner/SuperBee and the Charger.

A couple interesting things about Hemis...

Chrysler's 1950's style Hemi was the first engine in a production car with over 300 horsepower.

Engines in the NHRA Funny Car division (and also, Top Fuel, I believe) are all basically aluminum versions of the same 426 Hemi engines sold throughout the 60's in various Chrysler Corp. vehicles. So theoretically, you could bolt the heads from a Funny Car engine on any stock 426 Hemi from the 60s.

Well, chevyguy, there was one motor to compete with the HEMI and both motors where kicked out of nascar around the same time. The Ford Cammer DOHC 427. Putting an easy 650HP out NA back in the 50's it was a beast. It also had variable valve timing that used a chain gear and how it was enguaged I was never able to find out, RPM or engine load could be possibilities. There where actually a few (neighborhood of 1-5) Boss mustangs that came with a Cammer 427. Nascar decided for some reason to boot it and the HEMI out of nascar. The Cammer is actually still popular among swamp rat and speed boat racers. There is a swamp rat racer out there (i've forgoten his name) that actually created his own cast based on the cammer, and basically just increased the webbing of the block to increase the strength of it. He claims to be getting over 2kHP but then again, it IS a full on race car. You could do the same with an old HEMI.

The 80's cadillacs where mentioned the V8-6-4. Lemme explain why these where utter crap. When cylinders wheren't in use there wasn't any pressure on them and the piston rings would do the exact oposit that they do under pressure, srink. So they had issued with oil leaking into the chamber. The only way I can imagine dodge getting around this in the new HEMI is by maybe alternating what pistons fire they might be able to keep up the pressure just enough. The whole thing sounds kinda pointless, but I'll be impressed if they don't have any issues down the road in 10 years, expecially due to thier poor track record with the 90's cars.

Now, the charger in all of ours favorite movie (que sarcastic voice) the fast and the furious, was rated by the movie studio at 700 HP, wich is VERY low balpark, considering my uncle had a dodge 360 smal block build with a weiland blower to push 1300HP stressing the motor a bit and could run 800HP keeping the engine VERY cool and forcing the blower to do all the work.

Now, honda was the first company with production VVT (variable valve timing) though practically every company in existance nowdays using the same technology. Although it's been stated what it is no body has mentioned why it was done. As most of us know, the Cam controls when the valves open, and how long they're open. The problem that most 4 cylinders have is that with a 8k RPM redline your cam is only optimised for a 2-4k range, thus enter VVT. By using a second lobe on the cam and switching mid RPM the could get low end tourque and still have optimised high rpm flow. You get more power with less gas and emissions, becasue your flow better matches the RPM. With a low RPM specific cam the high RPM range in ineficciant and resricted, the motor wants to flow more air/fuel. With a high RPM specific cam the low RPMs are getting way too much flow and you're wasting fuel, and it also causes the car to idle rough. A good V8 tech will tell you what cam you use depends on where you want the power. The idea of VVT is to get the most power everywhere. Another great trade off of VVT is cars like the S2000 drive like a strong civic around town and rev and perform like a F1 from 6-10k (although the stock redline is 8, wich is bull. The stock type R motor goes to 11k without ill effect, but because it can only "maintain" a 8k rev that's what they're limited to).

Now, something to note is that the one thing HEMI did REALLY well, is putting the spark pug in the center of the chamber. This design has been copied by almost all 4 cylinder designs, becuase the motors are so small they can spare the room on the head. Want me to name off cars like this? Supra, Skyline, VR4, Focus, STI, Evo, MR2, AE86, S2k, Civic, Celica, NSX, and virtually all olther japanesse cars. Most american cars are the same way now, exept the V8 kings. Viper, Vette, and a few others. The V-8 design works best either being pushrod or DOHC, and in the DOHC case centeral spart pugs are common. But the pushrod design has proven itself time and time again, all it needs is some TLC and the design will still be around for our grandkids.

Wow, maybe this should go in the write-up section !!
That's a lot of info !

Like Columbo said "one more thing":
One of the colors the dodge charger comes in is called "hemi orange".
Any thoughts one where that comes from ?
Famous race car maybe,or a reference to the Dukes of Hazards' General Lee ?

Orange was a common color for the Road Runner wich had an option HEMI. Maybe there's a connection there? Kinda would make sence seeing as the road runner was dodge's main race car for NASCAR. But I would have thought that the connection would have to go back farther to be accociated with the charger. Maybe the origoanl blocks where painted orange. Ford painted most race motors blue and chevy was know to paint thier blocks orange from time to time.

Duke

Sound very logical to me... Im not aware of the precise manufacturing date, but it looks like 70's muscle car to me... :)

But it's really awesome, he once pulled up to a rice boy, and sounded the sleek side of the engine... when he accelerated he floored it, leaving the ricer in.... ummmh rice.. :)

3k_Poseidon
Maybe the origoanl blocks where painted orange.

Yes. All hemi engines were painted in that bright color known as hemi orange, and the car color is the same color. Hemi Orange was available on cars that didn't have hemi's in them (the Dodge Coronet Superbee below-right is an example of that).

Real car examples:
TULSA04504.jpg
TULSA03500.jpg

I believe that the new HEMI's like in the 300C and RAM aren't "true" HEMI's, meaning they don't actually have the hemispherical combustion chambers and are only using the name HEMI for marketing purposes. Can somebody confirm this?

Well, my uncle who is one of the biggest mopar nuts in the state says the are. Until proved otherwise I'll take his word. I mean, the guy names off production numbers down to every last little one unit all by make/model a-body/b-body and such. I wouldn't trust him with my computer (he's a programmer) but I'd trust him with my car.

Schrodes
I believe that the new HEMI's like in the 300C and RAM aren't "true" HEMI's, meaning they don't actually have the hemispherical combustion chambers and are only using the name HEMI for marketing purposes. Can somebody confirm this?

It sounds very possible. Marketing will try and get away with anything. Just look at that plastic pig they call a GTO (the new one). It's an Australian car with new bumpers for Gods sake - hardly the continuation of an legend is it? :)

Back