what is one thing that you don't like about GT3?

• Thread starter morganhead
  • 219 comments

morganhead

(Banned)
for me, it's the fact that you can spin the RWD cars so quickly. like, i can't get past IB-10 of the license test because the skyline keeps spinning out. the harder i turn, the worse it spins out

oh, and btw, you must name only one.

Here's a thought: Turn less. If the harder you turn "the worse it spins out", don't turn so hard. Oh, and let off the gas.

Incidentally, GT3 doesn't HAVE an IB-10 licence test...

Here's a thought: Turn less. If the harder you turn "the worse it spins out", don't turn so hard. Oh, and let off the gas.

Incidentally, GT3 doesn't HAVE an IB-10 licence test...

my bad. it's ia-8. you know the one with the mine's skyline and the constant radidas off of complex string. HARDEST LICENSE TEST IN THE HISTORY OF GRAN TURSIMO. EVER. VIRUALLY IMPOSSIBLE. had to gameshark my way though the game, it was so hard. can you please help me with the test, or at least quote it of GTP game guides? thanks a million.

my bad. it's ia-8. you know the one with the mine's skyline and the constant radidas off of complex string. HARDEST LICENSE TEST IN THE HISTORY OF GRAN TURSIMO. EVER. VIRUALLY IMPOSSIBLE. had to gameshark my way though the game, it was so hard. can you please help me with the test, or at least quote it of GTP game guides? thanks a million.

I didn't find that one so hard, really. It just requires a spot of throttle control. Bit trickier to gold - but nowhere near as much as the Skyline/Trial Mountain rock section ones.

well, i can't get past it. it is so damn hard to even get to bronze. how did you get past it? how many times did it take you, because it took me at least twenty

It's all in the throttle control. Don't use the steering to steer into the kerbs, back off the throttle to tighten your lines.

I have always disliked the way the game goes to instant replay. You should
have that as an option only. As for the rear wheel drive cars spining to
eaisly. Its a matter of how much traction the tires have. Like the manual
says this traction can only be divided in so many ways. A percentage
goes to corning and the rest to power. If you want more corning traction
you have to slow down a bit. Try watching the ghost car, notice how the
demo diriver gooses the throttle to maintain just the right speed.
Famine is exactly right about throttle control. I have found that some
controlers are more sensitive than others and some people like to use
the analog stick for throttle for more precise control. I still perfer the X button. It has worked fine for me. I have better than demo times on all the tests, so I know it will do the job OK.

One thing I dislike about GT3? Sorry, I'll have to give 2 answers.

1. I realize this has been said many times before, but the lack of race-modifications is it. I like my Oreca Viper, but in GT3 I miss taking a regular Viper and using that car instead, turning it into a superstar. :)

2. This one isn't so common. I used to love the horsepower/torque charts in GT1 and GT2.. I HATE the fact they got rid of them in GT3. Now if I wanna know how much power my car is making (torque & power) I have to go to the garage, where it gives you a few numbers but no chart. It's like PolySony figured "ah...nobody needs those charts, nobody's gonna miss 'em." :mad:👎

Last edited:
The fact that it doesn't have the cars and tracks that GT4 has. If it did, I'd probably still be playing it often.

Of course, I realize that this isn't exactly a fair complaint. :dopey:

I used to love the horspower/torque charts in gT1 and gT2

I would really love that, then you can see were the powerband is.
I only have GT3 and not played any other so i don't miss a lot for me it is the best racing game i have the others just don't even come close exept project gotham racing2 but i don't have an Xbox so I have to stick to GT3 on my ps2

they only thing i don't like is the stupid AI, they follow the racing line and only go of it if they want to overtake on the straights

and minor damage it would be nice to smash your car but also if you scerw up the car stays hole just continu but not very realistic

2. This one isn't so common. I used to love the horspower/torque charts in gT1 and gT2..i HATE the fact they got rid of them in GT3. Now if i wanna know how much power my car is making (torque & power) i have to go to the garage, where it gives you a few numbers but no chart. It's like POlySony figured "ah...nobody needs those charts, nobody's gonna miss 'em. :mad:👎[/QUOTE]

amen, brother.

well, i can't get past it. it is so damn hard to even get to bronze. how did you get past it? how many times did it take you, because it took me at least twenty
Not to be a jerk, or anything, but you just need to learn to drive. That's what the license tests are for - to teach you how the game expects you to drive. So instead of complaining about how hard it is, practice, and watch the demos.

If this is giving you such fits, don't even think about the Time Trials.

Use the analog sticks for throttle and steering, rather than the buttons and d-pad. Or get a wheel and pedals. I bronzed or silvered all my licenses without a huge amount of trouble relatively early in the game, and then went back for gold after I'd completed 100%.

they only thing i don't like is the stupid AI, they follow the racing line and only go of it if they want to overtake on the straights

I'm convinced the AI will always be a bit dumb, unless they somehow make them smarter in GT5 somehow. You just gotta learn to dance around their stupidity. At Cøte, for instance, a lot of cars will smash into the wall in that final right/left-hand chicane. Perfect place to hang back and then roll past them! There are lots of place where they mess up..once you learn them, you can hang back then slip by them instead of trying to stay ahead & getting smacked.

Also, I'm with Duke on the analog sticks. I've tried using the "pressure-sensitive" buttons for gas/brakes...it just doesn't feel as accurate as the analog mushroom sticks.

Last edited:

I had the worst time with the first slalom for the IB license. It probably took me fifty times over several sessions trying. I'm sure I destroyed my Win Ratio trying to win Tahiti Maze. I've gotten so much better, now I go to the Maze just to play. The Skyline on Complex String was easy for me by comparison. I do use a Madcatz wheel.

The one and only thing.....It came out before the DFP = no 900 mode compatability......I hate adaptive steering, that's this games only real physics flaw.

The one and only thing.....It came out before the DFP = no 900 mode compatability......I hate adaptive steering, that's this games only real physics flaw.

I wouldn't say it's GT3's only physics flaw, but it's certainly a big part of the game's physics/control flaws. Spinning out just because the game won't let you countersteer enough is frustrating.

they should put a option in to deactivated the adaptive steering.
I actually never notist it but now I read this...
It is sort of annoying.

Probably that GT4's graphics look a little better. I can almost tell which models were GT3 and which were all-new.

almost.

Probably that GT4's graphics look a little better. I can almost tell which models were GT3 and which were all-new.

almost.

It's funny how GT1's graphix are slightly better than GT2's in most cases...I haven't noticed which out of the two (GT3 or 4) is better.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's GT3's only physics flaw, but it's certainly a big part of the game's physics/control flaws. Spinning out just because the game won't let you countersteer enough is frustrating.

That's just like real life, if your car isn't set up right, if you're into the corner too hot, no amount of countersteering can keep the spin from hapenning. Been there, washed the underwear.

That's just like real life, if your car isn't set up right, if you're into the corner too hot, no amount of countersteering can keep the spin from hapenning. Been there, washed the underwear.

I've been there too, and that's not what I'm talking about. At times, GT3 will simply not allow you to countersteer to the full extent of your car's steering lock, because the game is constantly second-guessing your steering input to try to make things easier for you (having direct control of the steering with the DS2's puny analog sticks would make things nearly impossible). This kind of thing happens much more with the DS2 than the DF/DFP, but it's retarded that it even happens at all with the DF/DFP. :dunce:

It's interesting that you bring up that point, though. One of GT4's larger physics flaws is that it's nearly impossible to run into that problem -- throwing a car so hard into a slide that you simply cannot countersteer out of it, that is. As soon as you countersteer, you'll be pulled out of the slide -- most likely into a second, over-corrective slide/spin -- before you have the time to even worry about spinning out.

GT3, as you've said, does actually simulate this rather well. That's one of the reasons why I consider GT3 to be more realistic than GT4.

My experience has been that some cars have better success snapping out of a spin via countersteer than others, I wouldn't say it's flat-out across the board true of all cars in GT3 or GT4. For instance, I was racing a Lancer Evo VII the other day in the Beginner's Evo race. All my parts were stock except an engine computer chip...stock tires, stock suspension, etc. In the final turn at Midfield II, I tried to get a powerslide going but my car went into some serious oversteer. So I countersteered, and the car immediately snapped in the opposite direction! The whole maneuver felt clumsy and I was not satisfied at all!

Now I KNOW it's the car and not GT3 or my driving, if I take an earlier Evo (an Evo V, for instance) and attempt the same maneuver, I can slide to my heart's content and rarely need to countersteer.

But my Trueno? yeah, that car needs LOTS of babying. You don't need to try & get sideways...the car does it for you. Whereas a stock Mustang handles with lots of grip...till you've got some Stage 2 power going.

...my point is I don't think anyone can say that countersteer works or it doesn't work in an emergency situation...all the cars vary.

Last edited:
Of course different cars will vary. For the record, though, I was referring to RWD cars. AWD can pull you out of pretty much anything, and FWDs are almost the same way, although it depends on the situation and what you do about it.

Throwing a car too hard into a slide and spinning out is not an uncommon thing with RWD cars.

Throwing a car too hard into a slide and spinning out is not an uncommon thing with RWD cars.

Ofcourse not, I often spin out because I can't countersteer enough probely because of the wheel lock, when I drift, to much angle.:ouch:

4WD will pull you true the corner only when you have many horsies it will slide

and for the FWD it's all pulling power the back will follow the front end were ever you go :sly:

Of course different cars will vary. For the record, though, I was referring to RWD cars. AWD can pull you out of pretty much anything, and FWDs are almost the same way, although it depends on the situation and what you do about it.

I didn't realize this was a RWD discussion only..now I get it.

But so far as not being able to countersteer enough in a RWD, I'm not sure what you're point is, if you expect them to spin out, and then they do spin out. This game isn't supposed to be easy, know what I mean? Perhaps you're nitpicking...I mean, PD is never gonna get car physics down 100%; what they're doing is pretty close to the real thing (in my book, anyways). I'd still be playing Mario Kart if I wanted something unrealistic.

Last edited:
Yeah, i didn't realize this was a RWD discussion only..now i get it.

But so far as not being able to countersteer enuff in a RWD, I'm not sure what you're point is, if you expect them to spin out, and then they do spin out. This game isnt' supposed to be easy, know what i mean? Perhaps you're nitpicking...i mean, PD is never gonna get car physics down 100%; what they're doing is pretty close to the real thing (in my book, anyways). I'd still be playing Mario Kart if i wanted something unrealistic.

We have two topics going at the same time here. I'm afraid you've mixed them up.

Topic 1: GT3 is programmed to always second-guess your steering input. If it didn't, driving with the DS2 would be nearly impossible. However, it has one flaw -- it seems like it doesn't always let you use your car's full steering lock. Here's a crude illustration:
untitled2tn1.jpg

The reason why it does this is most likely to avoid excessive understeer, because there are few instances where you would be using a car's full steering lock, and most of them are at low speed. However, when you're in the middle of a massive sideways slide, you want as much countersteer as you can get. GT3 doesn't give it to you, so you spin out.

Topic 2: In real life, it isn't very hard to throw a RWD car so hard into a spin that even full-lock countersteering won't save you. In my opinion, GT3 simulates this pretty well, and GT4 fails miserably at it.

I think I see. That's something I never thought about I guess.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint was the lack of track diversity; it felt like you were using the same 7 or 8 tracks for every 10-race series, even though there were about 20 usable road courses.

A minor complaint was that it as impossoble to win certain prize cars again, which sort of hurts replay-ability. I thought a lot of cars drove the same in stock form compared to GT2, but maybe I was just getting better at the physics model.

Back