What movies have you seen lately? Now with reviews!Movies 

• Thread starter scentedsoap
  • 8,163 comments
Watched a few movies over the weekend...

old-dogs-poster.jpg

Pretty funny movie, Travolta and Williams do actually make a good combo... It is however still a Disney movie and gets unbelievably mushy towards the end which just ruins it a bit.... The jokes in the movie are pretty good though... I did laugh really hard at certain spots in the movie... Overall good entertainment, a pretty standard story with some good jokes thrown in here and there... 6/10

finaldestination4teaser.jpg

I dont recommend this one to anyone... more of the same old BS... People getting killed is the focus of this movie and it was also meant to be 3D, which makes it EVEN worse watching it in normal 2D... Total and utter crap.... a nice way to waste two hours of my life... 2/10

notorious_ce.jpg

Now this movie surprised me... Being a big fan of Notorious BIG to begin with I wasnt sure what to expect. It is a one sided story because this movie is made by P. Diddy or Puffy, if you didnt know. But as a neutral viewer I think it'll be a good watch as well... It does a really good job telling his life and death story and doesnt drag on anywhere... it just keeps on moving and to the point... which is a good thing... Also I think people will be able to appreciate his lyrical skill in this movie because it is protrayed very well... The settings are done well and everything that had to do with those times from the early 80's to mid 90's is right on the money... It gives a nice little peak into the whole drama that led up to his death.... Even though it is one-sided I am curious if there will be a Tupac movie now as well... ??? 7/10
I'm being a bit generous as well since I like the music genre protrayed here very much as well.. ;)

Blitz, they are planning to make an Aaliyah movie aswell.

lol, I doubt I'd be as interested in that as I was in this one... :P She was a hottie, but I wasnt a huge fan...

2012 - Wow, so many CGI in it. I was laughing out loud in the scene where they escape from California in a plane, and before that in the car trying to get to the plane. It was just too much. Plot was meh, me and my girlfriend even argued after the movie because I sympathized with Oliver Platt's character's point of view. Overall I'll give it a 5/10.

Taking Woodstock (2009)

Demetri Martin is awesome in this movie and he fits the role extremely well. I did feel the story line was a little stung out, but it was still a very good movie. I'm glad they didn't really focus on the concert since that was only a small part of what Woodstock was about. I felt the ending could have been better though, it felt like they were just trying to set it up for a sequel.(7/10)

One thing I will add is that it is not a kids movie and is R rated for a reason. It is extremely graphic and doesn't try to hide anything male or female.

Yeah they got married when she was incredibly young... I think she was 14 or something...
Try 12

At age 12, Aaliyah was signed to Jive Records and Blackground Records by her uncle, Barry Hankerson. He introduced her to R. Kelly, who became her mentor, as well as lead songwriter and producer of her debut album, Age Ain't Nothing But a Number. The album sold two million copies in the United States and was certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). After facing allegations of an illegal marriage with Kelly, Aaliyah ended her contract with Jive and signed to Atlantic Records.

Ive seen Wolfman... it sucks badly:tdown:! Good actors, bad argument/ good visual effects, and very predictable movie...

Did you watch it expecting a great blockbuster or did you watch it expecting a great remake? The original story wasn't exactly not predictable and from what I have read they followed the original to honor it.

poster.jpg

Yeonae soseol (a.k.a Lover's Concerto) (Han Lee, 2002) -- A young man between two women whose life is pressured by a serious illness that they manage to hide. When the man writes a love letter to one of them, their feelings for each other lead to unexpected turns. I won't be trreading that much into it, since you'll be seeing this as a chick flick remake or as a die hard romantic. I am neither, but just happened to have this movie lying around and figured it was about time to watch it. It is director Lee Han's debut film and it had a budget of 2.5 m USD, with that in mind, the movie turned out okay. However, make no mistake, this is a romantic tear jerker like the ones Hollywood made in the 40s and 50s. Still, enjoyable, well acted and well art-directed. 7/10

I've seen Avatar twice & 2012 once this month. Avatar was amazing, 2012 much less amazing, but better than allot of people made it out to be.

I've seen Avatar twice & 2012 once this month. Avatar was amazing, 2012 much less amazing, but better than allot of people made it out to be.

Avatar was a huge let down to me after hearing all the great things about it. The story was just ripped out of a horrible page in my ancestors history. White man coming and killing and taking from native americans. I have seen this already, Pocahontas. As for 2012, I agree, it was horrible. Even the CGI was very lacking compared to other films that were made years before it:crazy:

I couldn't sleep last night and watched Wanted, man that movie wasn't great either. I remember seeing the trailers for it and thinking, this is going to be a pretty good movie, I was so wrong.....

I couldn't sleep last night and watched Wanted, man that movie wasn't great either. I remember seeing the trailers for it and thinking, this is going to be a pretty good movie, I was so wrong.....

Seriously? I remember watching the trailers and thinking "this is one movie I don't want to see"... haven't seen it yet ;)

green-butchers.jpg

De Grønne Slagtere (a.k.a. The Green Butchers) (Anders Thomas Jensen, 2003) -- Svend and Bjarne work for a butcher in a small Danish town. Fed up with their boss' arrogance, they decide to start their own butcher shop, which doesn't turn out well until they get a 'special' kind of meat... suddenly everyone wants some.

The movie's very, very dark humoured and there were times when I felt 'dirty' by laughing, but the uncomfortable moments really make the comedy part of the movie. On the other hand it's sort of a family drama, and though superficial, it works out fine. In the end I'm not sure what kind of movie I watched, but I liked it a bit. Definitely recommended. 7.5/10

being people?.... not really. I dunno why they're Green butchers, but their uniforms are green and the movie has a greenish tint, like The Matrix.

Seriously? I remember watching the trailers and thinking "this is one movie I don't want to see"... haven't seen it yet ;)

I like the movies about assassins and such, especially when it deals with Templar's or other secret society type deals, the movie just strayed and the story wasn't well written, there is one good part though, its the part where A.J. gets out of a bath:dopey:

Religulous

This is a documentary with Bill Maher asking questions to people belonging to different faiths. Basically if you are religious this will infuriate you, if you aren't you will probably enjoy it(as I did). 7/10

I like the movies about assassins and such, especially when it deals with Templar's or other secret society type deals, the movie just strayed and the story wasn't well written, there is one good part though, its the part where A.J. gets out of a bath:dopey:

But you have to like A.J., right? Meh, another reason not to watch it :P

Religulous

This is a documentary with Bill Maher asking questions to people belonging to different faiths. Basically if you are religious this will infuriate you, if you aren't you will probably enjoy it(as I did). 7/10

I gave it a 9

2zs8uux.jpg

Earth (Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield, 2007) -- A very good feature-length documentary about the planet and the animals that live in it and the ecosystems and migrations and theoverall circle of life. The photography is awesome, pretty much what you'd want to watch on Bluray (if available) and on a huge HD screen TV. There were only three things that (didn't kill) hurt the movie for me, and while I can understand the censoring of certain parts (despite predatorial struggles being shown, no animal's death appears), the global warming propaganda really annoyed me... the narrator (Patrick Stewart) would say like "Look at our beautiful planet. Sadly if global warming continues, it's gonna die", or someting like that. The last things is the excess of sound effects, and while I'm quite clear that the moviemakers aren't going to dangle a microphone in front of the polar bears, there are scenes that certainly didn't need sound, for example, flowers blooming... they make sounds?

Still the movie is great but those three aspects really hurt the overall score I'd give it. I'd recommend it anyway. 6/10

Religulous

I enjoyed to, quite interesting documentary.

2zs8uux.jpg

Earth (Alastair Fothergill, Mark Linfield, 2007) -- A very good feature-length documentary about the planet and the animals that live in it and the ecosystems and migrations and theoverall circle of life. The photography is awesome, pretty much what you'd want to watch on Bluray (if available) and on a huge HD screen TV. There were only three things that (didn't kill) hurt the movie for me, and while I can understand the censoring of certain parts (despite predatorial struggles being shown, no animal's death appears), the global warming propaganda really annoyed me... the narrator (Patrick Stewart) would say like "Look at our beautiful planet. Sadly if global warming continues, it's gonna die", or someting like that. The last things is the excess of sound effects, and while I'm quite clear that the moviemakers aren't going to dangle a microphone in front of the polar bears, there are scenes that certainly didn't need sound, for example, flowers blooming... they make sounds?

Still the movie is great but those three aspects really hurt the overall score I'd give it. I'd recommend it anyway. 6/10

Is it better than the BBC "EARTH" Documentary, narrated by David Attenborough?? I bought that one on Blu-Ray and its amazing... watched it like 3 times in a row when I first got it...

It's the feature length version of the BBC series "Planet Earth", they also released a US version of the series narrated by Sigourney Weaver. I haven't seen Earth but the full series is amazing, I've got it on Blu-Ray and use it to show off the PS3 / HD TV benefits to the sceptics. I’m pretty sure the Planet Earth series is uncut so you see the kills through to the end

It's the feature length version of the BBC series "Planet Earth", they also released a US version of the series narrated by Sigourney Weaver. I haven't seen Earth but the full series is amazing, I've got it on Blu-Ray and use it to show off the PS3 / HD TV benefits to the sceptics. I’m pretty sure the Planet Earth series is uncut so you see the kills through to the end

Yes, the next thing I want is the whole series on Blu-Ray... the movie I have is sort of a summary of the whole series.... But I think the full series would be great to own...

Play, amazon and HMV have got it for £25 but doubt they ship to NL. It's a good investment, just make sure you get the David Attenborough version.

Back