What was your favorite cartoon and series as a kid?

• Thread starter breakpoint
  • 267 comments

breakpoint

Return of the Krugen
Premium
United States
Huntsville, Alabama.
LEGION138
I have been buying and introducing different cartoons that I loved when I was a kid lately to my kids (7girl, 5girl, 3boy ) and was just wondering what was your top 5 cartoon series and top 5 favorite tv show series when you were a kid? Use the format I use to make it easier for everyone to read please. My kids aren't into tv shows like I was a kid, so I have been watching cartoon series that I loved when I was a kid and surprisingly Tom and Jerry and Woody the woodpecker seem to be the ones they enjoy the most, followed closely by Thundercats and Topcat. Also let us know what year you were born. Here are my top 5 as a kid.

I was born in 1981

:Top 5 cartoon series:

1. Thundercats (Make a movie with todays tech already!)

2. Count Duckula

3. Mask ( I still have a Mask glow in the dark cup that is in perfect condition!)

4. Voltron

5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

:Top 5 TV Series:

1. Knight Rider (They ruined a good memory with that horrible failed attempt and re-making the series!)

2. The Dick Van Dyke Show (Marty Tyler Moore was so hot then:sly:)

3. F Troop

4. The Incredible Hulk

5. The A-Team ( I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hope they didn't ruin a great show. The guy that plays Murdock looks like he did a great job from the scenes I have seen from it though )

I actually still watch Knight Rider and The A-Team everyday, I have my DVR recording both of them:tup: This was hard to narrow down to 5 favorites for sure. I really loved He-Man as well but not as much as the others, but it was a close runner! Of course everyones list is going to be drastically different with so many people here at GTP being different in ages. Unlike allot of forums, this forum is very diverse which is great:tup: This will be interesting to see what everyone loved as a kid for sure.

I really don't remember much. (Born in 1985) The only TV series I remember watching as a kid is Dinosaurs.

Here's the intro video for those that remember the show.

Edit: Watched a lot of Duke of Hazzard. :sly:

Born in '96.

"Blues Clues" & "Tom & Jerry". But this is not it. I will remember after a good night sleep.

Last edited:
I was born in 1987

:Top 5 cartoon series:

1. Duck Tales
2. Darkwing Duck
3. Inspector Gadget
4. Godzilla
5. G-Force: Guardians of Space (Or, Team Gatchaman if you prefer the original title)

I can't remember any of the shows though, although I did grow up with Knight Rider and the A-Team as well.

Same as Crooooooow, Ninety-Six.
For cartoons? That'd be hard. Probably Spongebob or anything not anime on Cartoon Network. CN's crap now, I flicked onto it when we still had SKY in my house, and it was a live action show on! Talk about Cartoon Network :crazy:

Same as Crooooooow, Ninety-Six.
For cartoons? That'd be hard. Probably Spongebob or anything not anime on Cartoon Network. CN's crap now, I flicked onto it when we still had SKY in my house, and it was a live action show on! Talk about Cartoon Network :crazy:

Spongebob I used to watch, but now since season 4, he's started to annoy the 🤬 out of you. They don't put much creativity into the show anymore. Except a few special guests once in a while.

Cartoon Network - We put the reality in cartoon.
But I used to watch Toonami was it? Action packed Cartoon Network, with Dragonball Z, Swat Cats, Big O, Samurai Jack. But now they have been canceled. So, Ladies & Gentlemen, please welcome the new Cartoon Network style... REALITY & NONSENSE!
This makes no sense at all. Now kids these days will have terrible imagination. I'm guessing Disney bought Cartoon Network a few years back, but we didn't even notice the new owners. Same thing with Nickelodeon.
It seems... I keep trying to escape..... but they keep pulling me back in.

Last edited:
Top 5 Cartoons

Teena Mutant Ninja Turtles
Pinky and the Brain
Transformers (G1)
Animaniacs
Samurai Pizza cats

There are heaps more shows I could add though but they were the first ones to come to mind.

I really don't remember much. (Born in 1985) The only TV series I remember watching as a kid is Dinosaurs.

Here's the intro video for those that remember the show.

Edit: Watched a lot of Duke of Hazzard. :sly:

Ah man I had forgot about that show, I watched it every single week:tup: Dukes of Hazzard is one of my all time favorites as well. I still have a decent amount of collectibles from the series as well. My favorite things are the two digital watches I have from 1981, they are both the same and both in perfect condition still in the boxes:tup: Also have all of the episodes on dvd:tup:

I was born in 1991, so I was raised on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network during their prime years. Back when CartoonCartoons where still airing on CN, and Nictoons where in their hay-day on Nick. It was the '90's and early Naughties. So...

Cartoons

Cartoon Network:
1. Dexter's Laboratory
2. Johnny Bravo
3. Courage The Cowardly Dog
4. Mike Lu & Og
5. Ed, Edd & Eddy
6. Sheep In The Big City
7. Time Squad

My Life would revolve around Cartoon Cartoon Fridays. Those Cartoon Cartoons are some of my all time favorite shows.

Nickelodeon:
1. Rugrats
2. Rocko's Modern Life
3. Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
4. Hey Arnold
5. The Angry Beavers
6. The Wild Thornberrys
7. CatDog
8. Rocket Power

This thread is bringing back so many wonderful memories. I'm 19 now, can I can still get a good laugh from watching these cartoons now!

I pretty much only watched cartoons as a kid. All my friends did, then the next day, we would discuss the shows and do our best to act out our favorite parts.

My kids and I watch Ren and Stimpy every morning after breakfast, I record it every night on my dvr so we can watch it in the morning. We sometimes watch Rocko's Modern Life as well, they like both of them and both of them are funny to me and I'm 29, especially Ren and Stimpy.

I actually hardly ever watched cartoons, I was too busy watching something on the discovery channel.

But when I did, it was usually Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Scooby Doo, or the Magic Schoolbus.

I was born in 1991, so I was raised on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network during their prime years. Back when CartoonCartoons where still airing on CN, and Nictoons where in their hay-day on Nick. It was the '90's and early Naughties. So...

Epic list

This thread is bringing back so many wonderful memories. I'm 19 now, can I can still get a good laugh from watching these cartoons now!

I pretty much only watched cartoons as a kid. All my friends did, then the next day, we would discuss the shows and do our best to act out our favorite parts.

I was born in 1988 but this is a good list, though i'll change a few.. Though they are numbered its not in any particular order, i pretty much watched them all!

Cartoon Network:
1. Dexter's Laboratory
2. Johnny Bravo
3. Mike Lu & Og

Nickelodeon:
1. Rugrats
2. Rocket Power
3. Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
4. The Angry Beavers
5. The Wild Thornberrys

Other:
1. Road Runner
2. Tom & Jerry
3. Tweetie & Sylvester
4. Foghorn leghorn
5. Top Cat
6. Yogi Bear
7. Flintstones
8. Jetsons
9. Speed Racer
10. Gargoyles
11. Bugs Bunny
12. Daffy Duck
13. Wacky Racers
14. Captain Planet
15. Super Ted
16. Bangers and Mash
17. Banana Man
18. Superman

Pretty much sums up my early life, i spent a lot of time in hospital as a kid so i got to watch a lot of cartoons on VHS and the hospital had cartoon network and nickelodeon so that was always good.

Like Paulie, I was born in '90 so it's only fair I steal his list :sly:
Zoids
Yu-Gi-Oh
Poke'mon
Those plus:

Dragonball Z (yes, I admit it. I would watch DBZ each afternoon after school without fail. LOL)
Duel Masters
Digimon
The Angry Beavers
Ed, Edd 'n Eddy

With the exception of the last two (as the Beavers and the Eds weren't all that popular down here as far as I could see), if you tell people these days that you watch those shows you get some pretty funny looks, almost as though you're a weirdo. But 6-8 years ago, they were like THE cartoons/anime to watch. :dopey:

Pretty much sums up my early life, I spent a lot of time in hospital as a kid so i got to watch a lot of cartoons on VHS and the hospital had cartoon network and nickelodeon so that was always good.
So you didn't have it at home so you broke your bones so you could watch it at the hospital? :dopey: jk
You've guys reminded me of a bunch of cartoons that I used to watch :lol:.

Born in 80.

Thundercats
He-Man
Transformers
Bananaman
Cities of Gold <----Was AWESOME!
Danger Mouse

Fave TV Shows:

Night Rider
The A-Team
Airwolf <--- Awesome

I actually have lots of these on my media drive and watch them often! Night Rider season 2 is 50% done. :)

Transformers! Now there's a show I forgot I watched, so thanks for the reminder Dunc :lol: Robots in Disguise and Armada were awesome :)

Born 1977

Favorite Cartoons:

Thundercats
He-Man
Cities of Gold
Ulysses
GI Joe

Favorite Series:

A-Team
Airwolf
Street Hawk
Knight Rider
Miami Vice

Oh, and I used to like this show called Top Gear that was about cars!

:lol: I knew it. You weren't born in 88-92 if you didn't watch tons of DBZ as a kid. :dopey:

Exactly! I was a heavy Dragon Ball Z watcher as well!

I'll add that I watched a bit of anime when I was a kid, but I didn't think of it as anime. I just thought of it as really cool cartoons! Heck, I didn't even know those shows where Japanese back then!

Here in the states as a kid, we had this thing on Cartoon Network called Toonami. That block of shows usually came on when I got home from school. I would always watch Dragon Ball Z, Zoids, and Gundam.

Oh, and I totally forgot about this show:

Last edited:
Born in 1986.
Well some great memories back then ;)

Cartons:
1. Thundercats
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
3. Transformers
4. Tex Avery Show
5. Animaniacs

TV Shows:
1. Knight Rider
2. A-Team
3. Bill Cosby Show
4. Dinosaurs
5. Dick van Dyk (he had a "crime"-Series which name I forgot)

I didn´t want to say 2 other TV-Series I have watched, because it would be a little embarressing for me :D

Born in 91

Cartoons:

Dragon Ball (obviously :P)
Samurai Jack (although i wasnt thaat young when it started airing here)
Dexter's Laboratory
Wacky Races
Ed, Edd and Eddy
The Magical Schoolbus
Biker Mice from Mars

Don't remember any shows though . .

Born 1977

I was getting worried for the thread then. I was doing a degree when some of these kids were born...

Thundercats
He-Man
Cities of Gold
Ulysses

I have the complete Ulysses 31 on DVD :D And much of season 1 of Mysterious Cities of Gold...

I shall add Willo the Wisp to that list, in place of GI Joe - and probably replace He-Man with either Defenders of the Earth, Thunderbirds 2086 or MASK.

A-Team
Airwolf
Street Hawk
Knight Rider

Yay for Street Hawk :D

I'll replace the Vice with "The Adventure Game".

I also liked a few puppet-shows, which fall between the two stools. Terrorhawks and Captain Scarlet are the obvious ones, but a Japanese TV series called "Star Fleet" (or "X-Bomber" in Japan) was my favourite - and I have on DVD.

Well as I was born in 71 I was kind of shy in saying something(never even watched a Dragon Ball episode,believe that???) because there even hadn't invented Manga,although they were Japanese Cartoons already being broadcasted in the West),but this one used to be my Favourite(Tom%Jerry came second):

Oh, here I go. I constantly reminisce on the TV series' I watched as a kid. The Simpsons was and still is my favourite series, but there were so many great after school programs on TV during the first 10-12 (and the odd good one in the early/mid-2000s) years of my life. This may take some time:

• Aah! Real Monsters
  • The Adventures of Blinky Bill
  • Aladdin (the animated series)
  • Angry Beavers
  • Animals of Farthing Wood
  • Arthur
  • Babar
  • Bananaman (probably my early childhood hero)
  • Bangers and Mash
  • Biker Mice from Mars
  • Bonkers
  • Budgie the Little Helicopter
  • Bump in the Night
  • Captain Planet
  • CatDog
  • Daria
  • Doug
  • Dragonball Z
  • The Dreamstone
  • Fairly Odd Parents
  • The Ferals
  • Feral TV
  • Fireman Sam
  • Funny Bones
  • Hey Arnold!
  • Johnson and Friends
  • Lift Off
  • Li'l Elvis and The Truckstoppers
  • Little Bear
  • Madeline
  • Magic School Bus
  • Marsupilami
  • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
  • Mot (I loved this one. Unfortunately very, very little information about it on the web)
  • Mr. Squiggle
  • Pepper Ann
  • Pokémon
  • Postman Pat
  • Raggy Dolls
  • Recess
  • Rocket Power
  • Rocko's Modern Life
  • Round the Twist
  • Rugrats
  • Santo Bugito
  • Stickin' Around
  • Street Sharks
  • Super Ted
  • Thomas the Tank Engine
  • Timone and Pumba
  • The Trap Door
  • The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat
  • The Wayne Manifesto
  • What-a-Mess
  • Where's Wally?

... aaaaand I think that's about it for me. :D

Last edited:
Oh, here I go. I constantly reminisce on the TV series' I watched as a kid. The Simpsons was and still is my favourite series, but there were so many great after school programs on TV during the first 10-12 (and the odd good one in the early/mid-2000s) years of my life. This may take some time:

• EPIC!!

... aaaaand I think that's about it for me. :D

I can honestly say i watched every single one of your list too, except i didnt watch Dragon Ball, pokemon (though i obviously knew about it) and havnt heard of Mot.

The memories...

Bugs Bunny (and all the related gang) , I used to watch it most days in the afteroon with my father.

Back