What would and could be accomplished, had PD got more employees?

• Thread starter o000o
  • 31 comments
Indonesia
Indonesia
One of the reason for PD's slow work (well, apart from PS3 problem, but GT Sport's release was also rather slow) was the lack of employee number (compared to companies like Turn 10) although it has increased now.

But what if they had enough number of employees back then (pre-GT5)? What would and could've they accomplished in GT franchise (GT5, GT6, current GT, etc.)?

Employing more people won't give Kaz or PD any more common sense, nor will it stop them from making bad game design decisions.

A rear view mirror for hood cam...

This is a perfect example of what I mean. Kaz has stated that he thinks chase cam is too easy, so his solution is to ban the rear view mirror to make it harder (it's probably the reason why it's been banned from other views such as hood cam too). He commits an Anecdotal Fallacy by falsely assuming that everyone's experience is the same as his, then he proceeds to fix this imaginary problem he's created by banning a useful feature, & one that's mandatory in the real world for safety reasons. Now, many '7-year-olds to 70-year-olds' are expected to race together in Sport Mode, cleanly, & all without the use of a rearview mirror (unlike their real-world counterparts).

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Update the car list with more modern race machinery, improve the servers so we can have 20+ cars in private lobbies, and more options for private lobbies.

Full functionality in PSVR. It should be possible using ps3 car models, just takes a lot of work.
. I would have liked the option to have a PSVR mode without 3D depth, whereby we essentially get the same "flat" image, presented to both eyes (which would halve the PSVR render load), but we would still be able to look around (especially check the side mirrors properly). I've been playing games on a TV (without 3D depth) since I was in single digits so lacking the depth aspect wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but just the ability to look around and play in Sport Mode/lobbies like that would have been a massive bonus... it would have been enough for me to shell out for a PSVR alone.

I did ask a Sony/PD employee about it and while he said it was technically possible (just render one frame, instead of two slightly different ones, and copy that from one frame buffer to the other so both eyes get the same image but at least head tracking still works) but Kaz probably wouldn't go for it and Sony also probably wouldn't like a mode/option that made their product look "inferior".

improve the servers so we can have 20+ cars in private lobbies
As far as I'm aware private lobbies don't use servers beyond maintaining a list of who is hosting what and who else is in that room; race co-ordination is done via the hosts own PS4.

VBR
& one that's mandatory in the real world for safety reasons. Now, many '7-year-olds to 70-year-olds' are expected to race together in Sport Mode, cleanly, & all without the use of a rearview mirror (unlike their real-world counterparts).

:rolleyes:

Yea uh... in the "real world" one is not strapped to the hood, nor is one hovering a few meters behind or above the vehicle either.. so.. not a great argument.

Personally I think in sport mode, or at very the least in the FIA races, the view should be limited to the cockpit.

That works well in vr and 3 monitor setups. If you are like 10 feet from the screen it really doesn't. There is no good way to use cockpit with the lack of fov tweaks. Now FIA does have no counter assist so it wouldn't be crazy to add more different rules. In reality I don't see GT going down the Iracing model road.

. I would have liked the option to have a PSVR mode without 3D depth, whereby we essentially get the same "flat" image, presented to both eyes (which would halve the PSVR render load), but we would still be able to look around (especially check the side mirrors properly). I've been playing games on a TV (without 3D depth) since I was in single digits so lacking the depth aspect wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but just the ability to look around and play in Sport Mode/lobbies like that would have been a massive bonus... it would have been enough for me to shell out for a PSVR alone.

I did ask a Sony/PD employee about it and while he said it was technically possible (just render one frame, instead of two slightly different ones, and copy that from one frame buffer to the other so both eyes get the same image but at least head tracking still works) but Kaz probably wouldn't go for it and Sony also probably wouldn't like a mode/option that made their product look "inferior".

GT5 has some rudimentary head tracking with the ps eye. Of course it didn't work very well as you're looking away from the screen...
It's not just the double image that increases the render load, the wide fov puts a lot of strain on the render engine as well. However using the old car models, even ps2 models, will still look good enough for the low res of psvr which will help immensely with rendering. The liveries won't work but that's a small price to pay for getting the full game in VR.

As for 3D, only the car interior needs to be 3D. Stereoscopic depth doesn't really matter for far away objects. You likely wouldn't even notice it's not 'real' 3D. But, indeed, Kaz is more likely to scrap things than compromise. No more weather, no more day/night cycle etc. It would be fun if the daily C would reflect the current time and weather conditions. Some day perhaps.

As far as I'm aware private lobbies don't use servers beyond maintaining a list of who is hosting what and who else is in that room; race co-ordination is done via the hosts own PS4.
Thanks. That's good to know.

That works well in vr and 3 monitor setups. If you are like 10 feet from the screen it really doesn't. There is no good way to use cockpit with the lack of fov tweaks. Now FIA does have no counter assist so it wouldn't be crazy to add more different rules. In reality I don't see GT going down the Iracing model road.

I have 0 problems with it personally. I'm pretty consistent, and usually make the podium.

Of course VR would be nice, but perhaps they will consider making FOV adjustments and then make it a requirement :)

Yeah I don't hate the idea, Personally I can only use cockpit if I sit 3 feet from a 40 inch tv but it isn't a crazy idea or anything.

A decent penalty algorithm with some sort of protest system in FIA events. AI that is actually good to practice against offline. Would also love a Gr. 5 with touring cars.

More modern race cars and things to do on GTS? Don't really know what else
Then how about previous GTs like GT5 or GT6 progression with enough employees? Like amount of premium cars? State of feature that you feel incomplete there? Etc. Probably GT Sport would be able to be the true 'GT7' if those 2 were progressed faster?

You assume there would be quite a difference. What if nothing would change? What if they still delayed games and what not?

Yea uh... in the "real world" one is not strapped to the hood, nor is one hovering a few meters behind or above the vehicle either.. so.. not a great argument.

Personally I think in sport mode, or at very the least in the FIA races, the view should be limited to the cockpit.

PD need to allow FOV changes, they've never really supported it (in the past you have been able to do it via multi monitor support).

Many can't get on with a FOV that is too wide for the majority of people and flattens elevation and opens corner radius.

It's fine if you can adjust to it, but if you come from other titles and/or PSVR back to GTS flat mode it can be a pain.

How many more employees would it take to create some fresh new daily/weekly race combinations, like we used to get every day, rather than the copy/paste of old combinations that we’ve been getting for months now?

Since they copy iRacing online formula,

Why not copy the series by license ?

Mazda CUP 12 players
Production CUP MC 20 players
Advanced Mazda CUP 24 players
GT3 32 players
IMSA 49 players

Back