What's the best transmission setting?

• Thread starter takumi64
  • 18 comments
First things first.

Each Gear
Each gear has a ratio. That ratio number will either increase speed or lower speed of the gear. Raising the gear ratio will lower your speed but provide a good amount of torque. Lowering the ratio number on a gear will increase its speed but lower the amount of torque to the wheel.

NOTE: The amount of torque to the wheel also depends on how much power output the vehicle has. If the vehicle has enough power to power the wheels then the ratio may vary with another car with a lower power output.

Final Drive
The final drive ratio will determine over ratio from engine to wheel rotation. Lowering will increase speed & rising will reduce speed.

NOTE: You CAN have too low of a final drive ratio and CAN have a too high of a drive ratio number. You have to find one in between low and high to suit the vehicle.

Auto Setup
The auto setup if sort’ a like a final drive ratio for gears 2-5 or 6. The lower the setting number, the closer the gear ratio numbers are together, the higher the setting number, the further the gear ratio numbers will be apart.

NOTE: You can use this to set your gear ratios before you fine tune each gear because by doing this, you're determining your MAX speed plus having the advantage of still tuning each gear.

FuJi's Gear Tuning Tech
My goal of fine tuning the gearbox is to make sure the RPMs don't drop below the power band, still have enough power to get the vehicle moving from a stand still start and a potential to reach speeds that will match the vehicle.

Contents
Final Drive Ratio
Setting your gearbox to match your vehicle
Individual gear setting

Final Drive Ratio
The final drive is like a gear that’ll increase every one of your gears top speeds. You have to start somewhere.
I prefer setting it at 4.111 or 4.444. You can set it at 2.500 but you won’t have any room to lower it more to increase speed if your auto setup is low. You can set it to 5.500 if it is a really powerful vehicle and lowering it to increase top end speed.

Default Final Setting
---------------------------------------[]----------------- 4.444

Set the Final to 4.444 or 4.111.

Setting your gearbox to match your vehicle
All vehicles will only have enough power to get to the ground and gears to go through before running out of gears or not enough power to go through the gears. A car that is powerful enough will go through all the gears if there is enough straight for it to permit. A vehicle without enough power to run out of gears as in, in top gear and reaching a curtain speed before the RPM reaches REDLINE and won’t gain no more speed, will not be able to run out of gears.

The auto setup in the gearbox category, on Settings side, by pressing L1 on your controller will let you adjust the setting.

You can first try out by setting the Auto Setup number to its lowest and testing it out to see if your vehicle has enough power to go through all the gears. Please take note that every time you change the final drive ratio and go into the auto setup and change the auto setup number, or go into the auto setup and change the auto setup number only, all the drive gears, i.e. gears 1-5 or 6, will reset itself to the auto setup setting number.

You may find yourself on the setting of between 5-15. You select that number and new gear ratios will change in every drive gear.
----------[]----------------------------------------------5
-------------------------------[]-------------------------15

Go out and test the setting. What you’re looking for is acceleration near or at REDLINE on top gear at speed. Remember that if you’re not reaching the top speed of your vehicle then that means the auto setup # is too high. You want too see your top gear climb at a good rate.

5 speed gearboxes will only need to go up to 100-200mph depending on power output. A 140hp Civic does not need to reach 200mph, 130-150mph is just about enough for it to run through its gears. A 600hp RX-7 will be able to go through its gears and is capable of reaching 200+mph. Usually 180-205mph is well enough for it to run through it’s gears.

6 speed gearboxes will reach speeds between 140-200+mph depending on power output. A 290hp Celica Mechanical Version w/ 6-speed will not reach 200mph. It will maybe but it’ll take a while to do so. Usually 140-170mph is well enough for it. A 600hp vehicle will be capable of reaching 200+mph if the road permits. Usually anywhere between 180-205mph is well enough for it.

Individual gear setting
First thing you must know is the power curve of the vehicle you’re tuning. The power curve can bee seen in the Parts Settings side in the Settings. Go to any part that increases power and select it and select it again so you would be in the state of equipping it or taking it off, and a graph will show.

This graph shows the power curve throughout the rev band. Some vehicles will reach it’s peak power before REDLINE, while others will keep increasing power until the rev limiter jumps into play and cuts of your rev and limit you to only so many RPMs. This graph will help you find your shift point.

To set a gearbox so RPMs don’t fall below the power band, you’ll have to sacrifice 1st gear and lower the ratio, which increases speed. Take note that every car can only go to so many RPMs. A Spoon Civic will have like 14,000RPMs while a Corvette will have 6,400RPM. A car that shifts in higher RPMs, i.e. Spoon Civic, the RPM needle will drop more RPMs and that of a car, Corvette, which only revs up to 6,400RPM.

A 6-speed gearbox, which has a very steep drop in power at high RPMs, will look something like this:
[]------------------------------- Gear 1
-----[]-------------------------- Gear 2
-------------[]------------------ Gear 3
----------------------[]--------- Gear 4
-------------------------------[] Gear 5
--------------------------[]----- Gear 6

A 5-speed gearbox, which has a very steep drop in power at high RPMs, will look something like this:
--------[]----------------------- Gear 2
-------------------[]------------ Gear 3
-------------------------------[] Gear 4
------------------------[]------- Gear 5
NOTE: Whether the power curve drops steeply or not, if you want shorter gears, this is the way to go.

Why does it look like this? The more to the left the setting, the more the increase in speed, the more to the right of the setting, the less the top speed for that gears. What this does is that it pulls in the ratio numbers closer together. Pay attention to the ratio number in 1st gear and the last gear. They’re a lot closer together meaning the gears are not so big and so small.

You want to set the gear before the last gear all the way to the right. It would be 4th ear for a 5-speed transmission and 5th for a 6-speed transmission. The reason for this is that you will get good acceleration through the gears before the last gear. The last gear is left for top end speed. You’ll notice that when you shift into the last gear, the RPM will drop a bit lower than the previous gear. This drop gives you more RPMs to work with to increase speed.

A few examples of gear settings
By setting the ratios to look like this, you increase acceleration in1st gear but 2nd gear may drop out of the power band. This is a setting I use for some of my Civic Type R’s because they have enough power to reach certain speeds but because if I set 1st gear all the way to the left, resulting in higher speed for that gear, the car cannot power itself from the start as well as if it had a higher gear ratio number.
------[]------------------------- Gear 1
--------[]----------------------- Gear 2
-------------------[]------------ Gear 3
-------------------------------[] Gear 4
------------------------[]------- Gear 5

If the vehicle has low RPMs such as 6000RPM max, then you don’t have to set the gear before the last gear all the way to the right. You don’t have to set it like this. Remember what I mentioned about the Spoon Civic and the Corvette. When you shift at lower RPMs, the RPM needle doesn’t drop as far as that of a high revving engine. NOTE: Expect to see the RPM needle drop a little more than that of the above setting.
-----[]-------------------------- Gear 2
------------[]------------------- Gear 3
---------------------[]---------- Gear 4
----------------[]--------------- Gear 5

Go test out the gears. What you want to test out is a standing start. Is starting in 1st gear good? Does it have too tall of a gear (too high of a speed)? Does it take time to get going/starting too slow?

If 1st gear is starting too slow and has too high of a speed which takes a while to get going, go back to the auto setup, lower the setting number, and reset the drive gears again. Note that the gear ratios change when you set the auto setup number to a different number and you have to reset them again.

What I mean by resetting the drive gears is for you to set the markers to where you had it hast time. The ratio numbers may change but the gearbox will still be short between shifts.

If the car has enough power to keep on spinning the tires and speeds reach between 40-55mph then go to the auto setup, increase the number, and reset the drive gears.

HP numbers and 1st gear speeds:
AWD Vehicles NOTE: These are top speeds for 1st gear, which the vehicle can launch off the line with no hesitation at high RPMs or a RPM at which the vehicle and launch successfully without bogging or clutch slip.
100hp – 25-30mph
200hp – 30-40mph
300hp – 35-40mph
400hp – 40-50mph
500hp – 55-65mph
600hp – 60-70mph
700hp – 65-75mph
800hp – 70-80mph

RWD Vehicles NOTE: These are top speeds for 1st gear, which the vehicle can launch off the line with the capability to start without over spinning the rear tires by tapping the accelerator.
100hp – 30-35mph
200hp – 35-40mph
300hp – 40-45mph
400hp – 50-55mph
500hp – 55-60mph
600hp – 60-70mph
700hp – 65-75mph
800hp – 70-80mph

FWD Vehicles NOTE: These are top speeds for 1st gear, which the vehicle can launch off the line with no hesitation at certain RPMs or at high RPMs at which the vehicle and launch successfully without bogging or over spinning the tires.
100hp – 30-35mph
200hp – 35-40mph
300hp – 40-45mph
400hp – 50-55mph
500hp – 55-60mph
600hp – 60-70mph
700hp – 65-75mph
800hp – 70-80mph

This is an example of a short gearbox of each gear (1-5):
| \ |
| \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ | | \ | | \ |

(1-6)
| \ |
| \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ | | \ | | \ | | \ |

This is an example of a gearbox that is not short (1-5):
| \ |
| \ |
| \ |
| \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ | | \ |

(1-6)
| \ |
| \ |
| \ |
| \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ |
| \ | | \ | | \ | | \ |

You want to get 1st gear to launch your vehicle right and well before adjusting for top end speed. After you have perfected 1st gear you can then test out the rest of the drive gears.

Does the drive gears fall out of the power band? Are they not short enough?

If the RPM falls out of the power band and acceleration is slow when in a higher gear or the gears are not short enough, set the auto setup to a lower number, reset the drive gear ratios, and lower the final drive ratio to a lower number if first gear top speed has changed.

If you want me to be more specific to the type of vehicle you’re trying to tune, PM me and I’ll apply this to your type of vehicle.
Please provide:
Vehicle brand, model, and modifications performed to the vehicle.

Set the tranny to *almost* redline on the longest straight-a-way on the course. Use the "Test Run" function before you enter the race.

I usually just set the Auto first, so the car just about tops out at the end of the longest straight. Then, if I feel a car is not using enough of the powerband (or too much of it) in a certain gear (usually 2-4th gears), then I change it accordingly.

There are cars with very tourquey engines that need to have the lower (2 and 3) gears spaced out to prevent wheel spin, and then I can make that up in the 4th and 5th gear. There are some circuits like Rome that have many tight turns that allow this kind of setup.

But there are a few exceptions, where you don't need to get up to 6th gear (like Motor Sports Land, or Autumn Ring), so you need to set it up accordingly to make the most of your engine's torgue curve.

Cars like the Calibra TC create peak torque near the redline, so the gears are close together on several circuits, to prevent the engine from bogging down at places like Seattle Circuit. I usually shorten the lower gears for that purpose.

Just do a little trial and error, and tweak as necessary. Save your stock settings, too. And another thing, you may want custom trannies for every car, even if you don't upgrade any other part of your car. Some of those Manufacturer Events can be quite nasty if they show up at Test Course or Red Rock and the Normal tranny is stuck with high ratios.

Haven't done much tuning on GT2 lately. Have been playing GT3 and Ace Combat O4.
But, Boombexus turned me on to a new final drive ratio that I have been using for GT3.
I set the Final drive to 4.444 and then run the Sport-Wide slider out to the wide side til I nearly top out in 6th gear on the longest straight. With the 4.444 ratio I have enough acceleration to really move out of the corners quickly.

Hope this helps.

I just spent a week playing GT1... Man, it sure has the word, "Classic", written all over it... I never thought a Mitsubishi Eclipse would handle so well in Arcade Mode...

Hi for starters.
I know this is a silly question but since your talking about the one area i´m a bit more ignorant could you tell if 2nd gear ratios will prevent a little the TVR speed 12´s wheelspin. Its that I´ve tried just about everything and still I can´t really takes those rome circuit closed corners at the right speed. I´ve maxed out the tcs asm lsd messed with the suspension but still in 2nd gear it unavoidably goes wild. Any tip is welcome though if you know how to prevent weelspin with anything else... I´m about to believe it really is impossible.

Bla, I don't think it's possible with the speed 12 in 2nd gear. Try moving your third gear up and use that gear instead of 2nd and or try lowering the final drive and not worry about getting to 6th gear. On alot of my hi hp cars I take 1st gear all the way down and sometimes I,ll start the race in 2nd gear. There's not to many tracks where I have to drop below 3rd gear. At rome I can only think of the two right handers that take 2nd and even then I,ll try if I think I can get away with it ,keep in 3rd for the second of the two right handers. High speed ring,If I don't mess up I'm never in 2nd ,except at the start. Oh I did'nt think of till now ,but this only applies to manual transmission. Hope your a stick man.If not you should be ;)

You´re right about rarely having to drop to 2nd gear especialy with the speed 12 since it turns very good even at lower speeds when not under acelaration. Even so I was aiming at those corners like rome or seattle circuit where that extra 2nd gear power could create that twitch to set the car in the right position like the jag xj220 for exemple. Its just I would like to see some smoking tyres without having to see the track in reverse :mad: well at any rate its fast and probably even more eficient while not trying to rally drive so :P ... hey, thanks for the tip anyway.

You know what? I think it's easier to customize your car in GT2 than in GT1... In GT1, you can't get back the default settings of the parts...

But in GT1 you could save your settings for all the tracks. I had custom settings for alot of tracks and all I had to do was load settings before I started the race. y y y y did'nt they have that feature on GT2?

Back