What's the Deal with the Honda Jazz?

Just wondering exactly the workings of the Honda Jazz because of its one gear when using it in game, I know it must have some unique gearbox or something but knowing exactly would be great.

Famine I am looking in your direction, being the GT infomation dude you are;)

Well...

The Honda Jazz comes with a 7-speed automatic only in the UK. Possibly there's a CVT (continuously variable transmission) variant in "forrin" places like Japan.

Thanks, I was just driving the thing and was very intrigued to find only one gear. Is the CVT a new technology, or is it just not useful enough for more cars to use?

It's not SO new - it's appeared in at least one previous car in GT (Toyota Prius; GT2). I just think people find it too damn spooky - hammer your foot down and the engine tone stays the same... Brrr!

In real life the rev's come instantley, you put your foot down and the revs go high like normal, but the time between tchanging from low to high revs is very low. CVT is like two cone shaped gears, as you drive they move to and from each other like a constantley changine set of gear ratio's to provide the right set up for the car at that moment, it's a good idea but they don't work as well when putting your foot down yet.

And you'd hardly call a Rover Metro a triumph of modern engineering concepts... :D

(except maybe the 6R4)

Back