What's the Greatest Movie Car of All Time?

• Thread starter Famine
  • 44 comments

What's the Greatest Movie Car of All Time?

• Blade - Dodge Charger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cannonball Run - Dodge Sportsman Ambulance

• Cars - Chevrolet Task-Force 3800 "Mater"

• Cars - Plymouth Road Runner Superbird "The King"

• Death Race 2000 - Shala-Vette "Frankenstein's Monster"

• Green Hornet - Imperial Crown "Black Beauty"

• Harold and Maude - Jaguar E-Type Hearse

• James Bond (SPECTRE) - Jaguar C-X75

• Johnny English Reborn - Rolls-Royce 101EX

• Minority Report - Lexus 2054

• Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - BMW Vision Efficient Dynamics

• Need for Speed - Ford Mustang

• Taxi Driver - Checker Taxicab

• Transporter (series) - Audi A8

• xXx: The Next Level - Shelby Cobra Concept

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
hqdefault.jpg
There, uh...there's a Lamborghini in that picture?

The ones I picked were based on which ones were more iconic. Which ones the average Joe off the street would more likely recognize.

My votes are as follows:

-DeLorean DMC-12 from Back to the Future: The movie is probably the only reason the DeLorean didn't get swept under the carpet of obscurity.
-Lincoln Futura Batmobile from Batman: It's kind of a toss up between this and the '89 Batmobile, but I imagine more people would recognize this one.
-Ford Mustang from Bullitt: People would be crying heresy if I didn't include this car, given how iconic the chase scene through San Francisco was. I guess it helps that there were at least two different "throwback" trims for the Mustang in 2001 and 2008 inspired by the film that etched this out as more iconic then the Skyline from 2 Fast 2 Furious.
-Dodge Charger from Dukes of Hazzard: Regardless of what The Fast and The Furious does with Dom's chronically crashed Chargers, the Duke boys did it first.
-Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance from Ghostbusters: ECTO-1 was just as much of a member of the team as the four actors were.
-Shelby GT500 from Gone in 60 Seconds (2000): I enjoyed both this film and the original, but what makes the GT500 stand out from the Mach 1 is that the yellow Mach 1 from the original you could straight up buy one that looks just like it off the showroom floor. The bodykit, whatever your opinion of it is, makes it stand out a lot more and tends to overshadow the old Mach 1 quite a bit.
-Volkswagen Beetle from Herbie: One of the only iconic sentient movie cars that didn't default to murdering people.
-Aston Martin DB5 from James Bond films: This is pretty much the reason everyone associates "Aston Martin" with "Spy Car".
-Ford Falcon from Mad Max: I think this is probably the single most iconic Australian car worldwide, though I think the average person would be confused if they saw the actual production model Falcon and wonder why it doesn't exactly look like the one in the movies.
-Pontiac Trans Am from Smokey and the Bandit: I'm not sure if anyone can look at this car and not think of Burt Reynold's mustache and cowboy hat.

Honorable mentions that I really like but didn't make the vote because I didn't think they met the criteria.

-Dodge Monaco from The Blues Brothers: I love this movie and this poor car takes a beating over the course of the film, but it's quite the trooper.
-Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 from 2 Fast 2 Furious: Say what you will about the movie and the franchise it's in, but I'm willing to bet this is probably the most recognizable car from the franchise, probably owing to the fact that this was Paul Walker's personal car.
-Dodge Charger from The Fast and the Furious: Shame Dominic Toretto has a penchant for destroying them.
-Mini Cooper from The Italian Job: I wonder how much popularity the Mini Cooper has because of this movie. I thought Minis were cool when I was a kid.
-Mach 5 from Speed Racer: This one lost out by virtue that, while super recognizable, was primarily a cartoon that didn't really get a real life model until presumably the movie 10 years ago. If there were 11 votes, sure. But that's what kept this out of the top ten.

EDIT: So... mods, I was originally on the fence between the Skyline and the Mustang from Bullitt but forgot to change my vote to the Mustang when I submitted. Is there a way you can take my vote off the Skyline and put it on the Mustang?

People had an entire month to suggest anything they wanted. If there's something you think is missing, you had a month to suggest it...

When the voting is done, we're going to take the 32 highest scoring cars and we'll do something cool with them.

Must have missed the announcement. Was it advertised on the main News page? I visit that daily but I rarely frequent this subforum.

Must have missed the announcement. Was it advertised on the main News page? I visit that daily but I rarely frequent this subforum.
You guys might remember that, a few weeks ago, we ran this article on the blog. It was a survey conducted for Hyundai to find the greatest movie cars of all time, to coincide with the Veloster Hot Wheels appearance in Ant Man and The Wasp.

By and large, it was fine, but some of the entries on the list made us wonder exactly how they'd arrived at them, even as options never mind the top 40. There were some weird choices on there, and at least one car had never even been in a film.

You seemed to agree, with several alternative and more deserving cars suggested in the discussion thread. We figured our community could do better, so we let that run, and the staff and writing team also came up with their own ideas. We also plucked the best from the list in the article. This created a longlist of very many cars.
We let it run for a month.

It's not news (yet) and it's not an announcement so no, it was not announced on the news page. Although the discussion was within the comments thread for a post that was.

Yes I remember that Hyundai survey, but I didn't delve into the thread discussing it. Seems like a pretty informal survey then. Either way, I'm still surprised no one recommended the AE86, being the king of drift memes everywhere. Guess Initial D itself isn't really a movie so I can see how people might not have thought of it (unless you count the live action HK movie, which I love but most diehard fans seem to hate).

This poll closes in just under three days, so you'll need to get your choices in soon. We're looking for a final shortlist of 32 cars, and we've currently got 33 thanks to a three-way tie at the bottom :lol:

We've had 360 votes so far, just FYI...

I'm sorry but my favourite movie car is the Charger from Bullitt. I can't believe it's not an option.

I'm sorry but my favourite movie car is the Charger from Bullitt. I can't believe it's not an option.
People had an entire month to suggest anything they wanted. If there's something you think is missing, you had a month to suggest it...
Nobody suggested it in the entire month between the thread about the original poll and this thread's creation, so it's not an option.

Nobody suggested it in the entire month between the thread about the original poll and this thread's creation, so it's not an option.
Suggest where? Even then it should go without saying. I also don't need an explanation as to why it wasn't included; no point saying I could've made the suggestion earlier.

Suggest where?
You guys might remember that, a few weeks ago, we ran this article on the blog. It was a survey conducted for Hyundai to find the greatest movie cars of all time, to coincide with the Veloster Hot Wheels appearance in Ant Man and The Wasp.

By and large, it was fine, but some of the entries on the list made us wonder exactly how they'd arrived at them, even as options never mind the top 40. There were some weird choices on there, and at least one car had never even been in a film.

You seemed to agree, with several alternative and more deserving cars suggested in the discussion thread. We figured our community could do better, so we let that run, and the staff and writing team also came up with their own ideas. We also plucked the best from the list in the article. This created a longlist of very many cars.

We didn't take on every idea. Some of the cars (particularly on Hyundai's list) simply aren't significant to their own films, never mind compared to all other movie cars. We had to make a judgment call to pare the list down to a still large but manageable list - almost all of the cars left on this list rate at four stars or better on IMCDB, for vehicles that play a significant part of the film's plot, with some exceptions.

But we need to make the list smaller, so it's time for you guys to have your say again.

The list is above. Pick any cars that strike you as being the greatest movie cars of all time, by whatever criteria you think - whether they're culturally significant, particularly important to the plot, or you just like them. You can pick up to ten, but you don't have to.

Have at it!
It was a pretty active thread. I kept posting reminder posts too, in order to keep the discussion going. And I made a reminder status update.

An entire month.

Even then it should go without saying.
Why? Apparently in three pages of suggestions, along with suggestions from the writing team and staff, and the original article's 40 cars, it went without saying. Someone did post a picture of it, but as an amusing remark about how significant a car has to be before it's a "movie car", referring to a Galaxie that was also in shot... briefly.

Since nobody said it, it's not on the list.

I also don't need an explanation as to why it wasn't included
Well, you couldn't believe that it wasn't an option:
I can't believe it's not an option.
So, with the explanation why, now you can believe it.
no point saying I could've made the suggestion earlier.
There's about as much point to it as there was to making a comment about a missing car in poll that's been running for nearly two weeks based on a discussion thread that was open for suggestions for a little over a month.

As the car you apparently rate above all others as the greatest movie car of all time isn't there, you can pick up to 10 of the options other people actually suggested or... not.

I voted for the Shelby GT500 Eleneor, because the Purple Pontiac GTO from xXx was missing! Why these 2? Because these cars were their own character in those movies. They were considered the ultimate dreamcar by both protagonists and highly customized.

f8aac2b89937dfbc21782bd0e1df48fc.jpg

It was a pretty active thread. I kept posting reminder posts too, in order to keep the discussion going. And I made a reminder status update.

An entire month.

Why? Apparently in three pages of suggestions, along with suggestions from the writing team and staff, and the original article's 40 cars, it went without saying. Someone did post a picture of it, but as an amusing remark about how significant a car has to be before it's a "movie car", referring to a Galaxie that was also in shot... briefly.

Since nobody said it, it's not on the list.

Well, you couldn't believe that it wasn't an option:

So, with the explanation why, now you can believe it.

There's about as much point to it as there was to making a comment about a missing car in poll that's been running for nearly two weeks based on a discussion thread that was open for suggestions for a little over a month.

As the car you apparently rate above all others as the greatest movie car of all time isn't there, you can pick up to 10 of the options other people actually suggested or... not.
Wow, speak about getting ripped apart, jeeeeesus:scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back